Quick Look: TrackMania United Forever

#1 Posted by monkyofdoom (101 posts) -

YES! TRACKMANIA

#2 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

do you have to be a maniac to play trackmania?

#3 Posted by usernamesuck123 (32 posts) -

so close 

#4 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -
@JacDG said:
trackmania will make you into a maniac
#5 Edited by Bollard (5836 posts) -

Why a Trackmania QL now? Seems odd haha 

I like how they said they were gunna try out the other environments, and immediately started playing more stadium tracks for the rest of the video.

#6 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

FOOOOOOOREVER!!

#7 Posted by Googly (245 posts) -

Yeah Trackmania!

#8 Posted by Set (152 posts) -

I am so excited for Trackmania 2

#9 Posted by Zecks23 (157 posts) -

I put so many hours into Trackmania Sunrise, very excited for the second one to come out! 

#10 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1695 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
Eh, it's a slow week for game releases, so I'm not surprised. I've never actually seen what this game is, so I'm totally cool with a QL of it.
#11 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

Dude, this one of the only series where every game is awesome!

#12 Edited by Trace (3576 posts) -

The multiplayer servers TrackMania United Forever has to offer are always insane. Sometimes they're good, too!

Also, I so dig the original music for the stadium.

EDIT: That final track is so the Trackmania I remember and love. Great stuff.

#13 Posted by Frekydelic (49 posts) -

I really enjoy Trackmania. And I'm not sure why.

#14 Posted by MEATBALL (3469 posts) -

Amazing tunes.

#15 Posted by stalefishies (344 posts) -

I actually did a doubletake on seeing a quicklook for Trackmania.

Why now? Why not when TM United came out, or when the Forever stuff came out, or the Star edition stuff came out?

#16 Posted by DanJhonson (7 posts) -

Look in the upper left corner at about 5:54 or so ;)

#17 Posted by Supercancer (183 posts) -

Trackmania HUDs are the single greatest part of the game.

#18 Posted by kollay (1939 posts) -

"OH! OH! OH! OHHH! OH DA DA DAAAAA!!"

#19 Posted by patronics (26 posts) -

Trackmania is a lot like what you imagined while you were pushing Hot Wheels across your kitchen floor. The genre should just be "toy cars."

#20 Posted by Crono (2707 posts) -

I bought this while it was on sale last week for the Ubisoft sale on Steam. Best $10 I have spent on a game in a long time.

#21 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

This game seems awesome. After a few dull Quick Looks it's nice to see a game they actually like again.

#22 Posted by Kovski (170 posts) -

Thought this was going to be beta of TrackMania 2, then i realised as i started it that the beta ain't out until July but I guess it's nice that Jeff and Ryan finally come in contact of this series and might watch out the new game when it finally hits in september.

#23 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Fantastic game, I've had it for a few years now. Basically Super Meat Boy as a racing game.

#24 Posted by craigbo180 (1726 posts) -

This game really looks cool but at this point I might as well wait for trackmania 2.

#25 Posted by AsherV20 (79 posts) -

Totally know what game I'm reinstalling on Steam.

#26 Posted by Thoseposers (791 posts) -

Is the video messed up? Whenever i hit about 22 minutes on it the bottom half does that whole weird compression thing, streaming and progressive. Disabling hardware acceleration did nothing to help, i'm on firefox 4 so yeah. Looks like a fun game, though i'll never play it myself

#27 Posted by MjHealy (1877 posts) -

Random.

Played Trackmania Nations Forever for a bit a couple years back. It was effin' crazy but it was good fun.

#28 Posted by Bollard (5836 posts) -
@beard_of_zeus said:
@Chavtheworld said:
Eh, it's a slow week for game releases, so I'm not surprised. I've never actually seen what this game is, so I'm totally cool with a QL of it.
Yeah I just found it really coincidental because I recently (like, last week) downloaded the free version of this haha. I'm actually pretty excited for TrackMania 2 Canyon - and even more so for ShootMania <3
#29 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Perfect representation of this game.

They had a track you can finish in 10 seconds,  and something completely, fantastically retarded that takes 30 minutes to finish, so they covered the full Trackmania spectrum of madness.

#30 Posted by dagas (2927 posts) -

No personal interest, but it's awesome that games like this exist. This could never happen on consoles. Like Ryan says it really seems like a continuation of the late 90's-early 00's mod scene for FPS.

#31 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

I love this stupid game so much...

#32 Posted by TromboneTony (162 posts) -
@JacDG said:
I hope so, my Hulk mania is really flaring up right now.
#33 Posted by Grilledcheez (3957 posts) -

I feel like this was just on sale on steam and I missed it....

#34 Posted by perilator666 (467 posts) -

naked lady at 05:55

#35 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

Do you believe in life after love?

#36 Posted by Slaneesh (855 posts) -
@MEATBALL said:
Amazing tunes.

#37 Posted by supercubedude (459 posts) -

#38 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1333 posts) -
@stalefishies said:
I actually did a doubletake on seeing a quicklook for Trackmania.  Why now? Why not when TM United came out, or when the Forever stuff came out, or the Star edition stuff came out?
Well, the game was released in '06. Giantbomb launched on '08. Maybe that's why.
#39 Posted by KarmaPoliceman (146 posts) -

Everyone who's interested should give the free version a look. It's basically all the stadium stuff (the majority of what Jeff was playing), and the only limitation is that for every 5 tracks you play you have to spectate 1. Plus it's on steam!

#40 Posted by Beb (260 posts) -
#41 Posted by Ketchupp (668 posts) -

This makes me want to play surf maps in Counter-Strike...

#42 Posted by UlquioKani (1180 posts) -

do you believe in life after love?

#43 Posted by gbrading (2125 posts) -

I remember playing Trackmania Nations quite a while ago. It was strangely addictive. I think this QL is very representative of what the game is like.

#44 Posted by Hudlommen (56 posts) -

Dear Giantbomb and viewers. 

Trackmania is all about drifting. You are just not playing on high enough lvl (no bashing) and/or not on the fullspeed tracks. If you see high lvl trackmania, its always on fullspeed tracks and its all about drifting. Once you learn to drift right, its what all the game is about. 

Some ppl have made a nice video of high lvl trackmania play called "Belgium will do it"  http://vimeo.com/6128910  
 As you will find Jeff, if you play enough, you dont let off the gas, you just drift ;)

Trackmania is the best LAN-party game, especially if no one has played before. Its free, very easy setup and alot of premade tracks. The track editor is very easy to use, and with a little trial and error you can pretty fast learn to use all the tools (into movie, changing camera angles ect.)

Again this is not bashing, just a low lvl review of the game.

#45 Posted by Jwunder (1 posts) -

I feel like the Ricker should be involved in this QL

#46 Edited by Rox360 (1079 posts) -

Awesome. I wish they would show more of the other environments. Island is by far my favorite. I also dig Desert, and to some extent, Bay. But Island is the superior environment. It's also fun to see how different people use the game! I don't ever touch random online servers, I only play custom tracks with friends. So yeah, the game has a built-in friends list and stuff like that. And usually I make tracks more than I race them. I swear I must've spent a couple hunred hours just making tracks, between TM Sunrise, United and Nations...

Now and then I'll feel creative but don't know what to pour it into, so I'll start up Trackmania and put on the Giant Bombcast and just spend two hours making yet another, insane Island track. Finish it up, try to beat my own gold time on it, then never touch it again. And just doing that is a hell lot of fun, for some reason!

@Hudlommen
I disagree! I think the best Stadium tracks are the ones that require proper speed management. The Stadium cars are the most "realistic" of the bunch, so they're well suited for more technical tracks. I, myself, am a huge fan of completely out of control insanity, though. That's why I mostly play Island tracks, or Stadium ones that use almost nothing but dirt tiles.

#47 Posted by emem (1974 posts) -

Looking forward to a Trackmania 2 TNT in a few months, great QL. :)

#48 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

A lot of people like this, yet I'm the only person in the world who considers Gripshift to be a legitimately great game. 

The mind boggles.

#49 Posted by evilrazer (496 posts) -

I've watched 42 minutes of Trackmania. OK.

#50 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

"Worth noting that Jeff is playing this on a KEYBOARD

"No I am not

Oh, Ryan. 

The ghost flying out of you at the start of each race looks really disorientating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.