Quick Look: TrackMania United Forever

#101 Posted by Phoenix87 (487 posts) -

Greatest game ever made.

#102 Posted by max3000 (371 posts) -

Does anyone know what's the name of that crazy french song?

#103 Posted by ShaggE (6708 posts) -

The Cher track should instantly go into the next classic QL moment compilation. That was AMAZING.

#104 Posted by Onisama (46 posts) -

This game is so fucking awesome. The sense of speed, customization, community and sheer insanity make it worth playing for anyone who is even remotely interested in racing. I've spent 80+ hours on it (probably miniscule compared to others) but I've enjoyed every second.

Can't wait for Trackmania 2, and Questmania sounds absolutely bananas if it can embody the same spirit that this game has.

#105 Posted by Scotto (1221 posts) -

@buckybit said:

I think it's great that Trackmania still exists and that it's basic package is free 'n all, but if I want to race for 1st place (on PC) I go for this game:

You might prefer other racing games (Forza, rFactor, GT...) - yet, when it comes to beating my own racing time, I like to play F1 2010. Reminds me of Crammond's Formula One Grand Prix. Watching Formula 1 Season 2011 on TV (preferably excellent BBC coverage) doesn't hurt neither. In fact, it helps me understand the real tracks and breaking points better etc. and motivates me to try harder. And for casual racing, there's always Dirt 2 and now Dirt 3 (for me). Again, Trackmania is nice - but if you have money and are willing to spend it, why spend it on a subpar, bad controlling, bad physics, bad graphics 10yr old game?

People don't play Trackmania for hyper-realistic physics models, and super simmy racing. We play it for the batshit tracks, and user customizability.

I own F1 2010, rFactor, and all of the Dirt games. I also love Trackmania for completely different reasons.

- Scott

#106 Posted by drew327 (632 posts) -

this looks great.  the fast restarts though- i kinda wish there was no countdown timer

#107 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

@m0rdr3d said:

Why are there badass games like this--that even have free versions--that I've never really heard of? Why aren't games like these trumpeted from the rooftops? My fellow gamers are asleep at the controls.

I feel corny as hell for even answering that pseudo-rhetorical question, but my non-Whiskey-intern job is at a show called Bytejacker, where each week we introduce three free indie games that fit that exact description! Here's an episode of Free Indie Rapid Fire from last week that I actually got to be in.

The world of indie games is a beautiful thing, man. Don't limit yourself to just the mainstream, console-type dealies, because some of the best stuff out there is also the free-est. <3

#108 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

Just downloaded the free version, it's really fun and addictive.

#109 Posted by DrWorm (33 posts) -

Have they ever done a TNT with Trackmania? You would think it is a good candidate with the large number of players, user created tracks, and it's free.

#110 Posted by allenibrahim (374 posts) -
@Babylonian said:

I've been a huuuuuge fan of Trackmania ever since I mistakenly downloaded the demo for the first game thinking it was one of Konami's Bemani rhythm games back in 2003 (which, yeah, 20/20 hindsight, but in a world where Beatmania, Drummania and Keyboardmania were all real things, it didn't seem that dumb at the time!)

I will always, always love this series.

Agreed. Trackmania is so crazy it hurts. First track server I ever joined had some anime music playing as we were all flying in loops and driving along walls. Been in love ever since!
#111 Posted by delorean99947 (228 posts) -

$40 on Steam. Sounds like too much to me. I'll wait for a sale.

#112 Posted by Forcen (1856 posts) -
#113 Posted by Crunchman (396 posts) -

I now know what it means to believe in life after love.

#114 Posted by artofwar420 (6311 posts) -

That one map at around the 20 minute mark looks interesting, sort of puzzle-y.

#115 Posted by moojuice (26 posts) -

5:56, upper left corner

#116 Posted by DeeGee (2142 posts) -

I appear to be missing what everyone else is seeing, this game looks terrible to me.

#117 Posted by emem (1974 posts) -

@patrick said:

This is the track you want

Wow, just WOW.. unbelievable.

#118 Posted by IronScimitar (503 posts) -

GRANDES ARCADES!

#119 Posted by BLipp18 (256 posts) -

@wallacewells78 said:

Do you believe in life after love?

i believe in trackmania after love

#120 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -

"It has the Tony Hawk compulsive loop of 'Nope, try again, nope, try again...'."

oh, so Jeff does like THPS4. okay.

#121 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1212 posts) -

You guys, TrackMania is pretty cool.

#122 Posted by Amilmitt (237 posts) -
@buckybit said:

I think it's great that Trackmania still exists and that it's basic package is free 'n all, but if I want to race for 1st place (on PC) I go for this game:

You might prefer other racing games (Forza, rFactor, GT...) - yet, when it comes to beating my own racing time, I like to play F1 2010. Reminds me of Crammond's Formula One Grand Prix. Watching Formula 1 Season 2011 on TV (preferably excellent BBC coverage) doesn't hurt neither. In fact, it helps me understand the real tracks and breaking points better etc. and motivates me to try harder. And for casual racing, there's always Dirt 2 and now Dirt 3 (for me).   Again, Trackmania is nice - but if you have money and are willing to spend it, why spend it on a subpar, bad controlling, bad physics, bad graphics 10yr old game?
I dont see any loops in that game or any crazy side walls or jumps.
Nobody plays Trackmania for realism, they play for the insanity.
#123 Posted by BlazeHedgehog (1103 posts) -

Man, watching this, it's freaky seeing tracks and going "Wait, I think I've done that one before."

#124 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

Are the Dead Space & Trackmania games in the same universe? Because I keep seeing the marker. 

#125 Posted by Clubvodka (417 posts) -
@BlazeHedgehog said:
Man, watching this, it's freaky seeing tracks and going "Wait, I think I've done that one before."
Seconded
#126 Posted by AURON570 (1677 posts) -

i remember playing this for a little bit a few years ago, it is definitely addicting, but it can get frustrating haha, people should definitely give it a try though, some crazy user-created stuff in there.

#127 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

I like this game a lot. Got the payed version for ten bucks in the recent Steam sale, and felt pretty good about that. But I must stress that this game is in no way worth the forty dollars US they charge for it normally, especially considering like 99% of the servers run content for the free version anyway.

#128 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

@emem said:

@patrick said:

Dude... what the hell? Awesome.

Also, that song never stops being awesome.

#129 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

Ryan is right this is like the quake 3 clans and servers and the custom art I never thought about it, the reason I downloaded steam was to get trackmania free, I played it for like a month until I forgot about it, it's so fucking crazy and fun at the same time. 

#130 Posted by CastroCasper (1307 posts) -

Something about watching a car flip endlessly while listening to Cher makes me glad to be alive.

#131 Posted by ajamafalous (12160 posts) -

Goddamn I love trackmania.

#132 Posted by PhantomGardener (470 posts) -
@Frekydelic said:
I really enjoy Trackmania. And I'm not sure why.
Cause its crazy fun?
#133 Posted by thebigJ_A (1002 posts) -

I don 't. Why would. Who would want to play this? I don't get it. No accounting for taste, I suppose.

#134 Posted by Rox360 (1079 posts) -
@thebigJ_A
People who like fun games? Someone said it's kinda like Super Meat Boy for racing games, and that's a really good comparison now that I think about it. Most of the "serious" tracks are less than a minute long, super harsh time trials that are easy to figure out but take serious skill and finesse to get a good time on. Much like Meat Boy, a lot of the cars have extremely precise controls but can still be loose and squirrely, and all the good tracks make use of that to create a real challenge.

And then there's the ones where you just ride around on a wall at crazy speeds for no other reason than the massive adrenaline rush of a 999 km/h rollercoaster ride. I love making ones like that! Anyway. It's a racing game that can be about as arcade as you want, or as semi-realistic as you want, as completionist as you want by getting gold+ times on all the official tracks, or as spontaneous as you want by jumping on random multiplayer servers and just playing custom maps. Or even if you don't like actually playing the darn game, you can waste hours upon hours making custom car skins or making new, insane tracks.

I really love making tracks for the Rally environment just because of how pretty they look! It's got this lovely British countryside tileset that I enjoy working with. But I don't like playing those levels at all because the cars are too squirrely for my taste, but I still get tons of enjoyment making tracks! Man, I think I might make a track before I head to bed...
#135 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

Awesome quicklook

#136 Posted by Subbeh (90 posts) -

Trackmania is pure gaming fun, download the free version and give it a try! Maybe some of those tracks dont show it in the best light but its a superb game and you'd have to be dead inside not to enjoy it.

#137 Edited by fisk0 (4493 posts) -

@thebigJ_A said:

I don 't. Why would. Who would want to play this? I don't get it. No accounting for taste, I suppose.

This and Stunts (surprised it took them 30 minutes to mention that, as the Trackmania team mentioned that as their inspiration from the start) pretty much were the original Modnation racers. The entire point is to create and share ridiculous tracks, just like you did with your class mates in the early 90's with Stunts.

Playing, and especially "winning" comes secondary.

A bit disappointed there's no damage model or hitting other players though, thought that was something they just removed from the free Nations release, not the entire game. Spectacular crashes and ridiculous physics were also a huge part of Stunts (crashing your car the right way could result in the exploding wreckage launching into the air, and pretty much achieve orbit).

#138 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

a fun quick look !!!!!

#139 Posted by phatcat (150 posts) -

Did anyone notice at 5:50 Seconds where Ryan says "there is alot going on this screen right now" if you look in the upper left hand corner there is a stripper that appears?

#140 Posted by Krushr (54 posts) -

This Quicklook made me revisit Trackmania for the first time in ages. Very much looking forward to what people do with TM2

#141 Posted by Getz (3155 posts) -

I've never heard of this game till now, and it looks fantastic!

#142 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

If this were released for XBLA I'd be all over it, but PC racing just doesn't do it for me

#143 Posted by outerabiz (666 posts) -
@Kyle said:

@emem said:

@patrick said:

Dude... what the hell? Awesome.

Also, that song never stops being awesome.

that is the track i want.
#144 Posted by confideration (442 posts) -

When the Cher song came on I blew whiskey out my nose. That was great.

#145 Posted by Nettacki (1320 posts) -
@Kyle: I bought it for $20. Still worth it to me.
#146 Posted by LCom (47 posts) -

Yessss. Thanks for reminding me that this game still exists! Are we gonna see it on TNT anytime soon ;3

#147 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@emem said:

@patrick said:

Holy crap, that was insane :O
#148 Posted by MisfitToy (139 posts) -

Ooookkkaaayyy... where's Claptrap hiding?

#149 Posted by Brendan (8151 posts) -

Man this game is like some secret garden of fun, hidden in plain site in the world of gaming.

#150 Posted by Ithryn (85 posts) -

Kinda looks like Trials HD, or similar concept in the obstacles level.

Jeremy Irons voice: BE PREPARED!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.