Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

TrackMania² Canyon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 14, 2011

The long-awaited full sequel to TrackMania is here! Drive fast and drift long in this crazy, physics-based fun racing game. Features gameplay similar to that of previous games in the series. The player can race on various tracks, with the ability to do stunts in various modes.

Post Your Paint Jobs

• 104 results
    RussianDrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By RussianDrink

Alright duders, the game is out so you're probably tired of seeing a bunch of cars that look like your car. So you decide to dabble in the paint editor for an hour and end up with something pretty awesome.

Good Luck, Have Batman
    Good Luck, Have Batman

Take a screenshot and post it here :)

EDIT: here's the skin: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72400/BATMAN_GB.zip

and a view from the side:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MisterMouse

That is a pretty slick paint job you got there.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SharkMan
    No Caption Provided

that's how my car looks in the editor, was going for something crazy that said, i'm a crazy driver. in-game all the green looks like chrome with a very very slight green hue, it would have been too hard to redo the green parts because that's the original color so i just left it; looks green at night though.

also, painting the rims 2 different colors is damn near impossible, and if you want the front 1 color and the back another like in Sunrise, sorry but you cant, afaik.

RussianDrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RussianDrink

@SharkMan: DUDE! We raced together on RGC. Nice paint job! Very fancy and artsy (in a good way!)

MotorbreathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MotorbreathX

Sweet paint jobs! Anywhere we can get a collection of different skins?

turbocake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turbocake

Here's my ride. It's called "the pink monster".

No Caption Provided
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Davvyk

@RussianDrink: How did you get the R4 esq streaking tail lights? Or were they added to the screenshot after?

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By wrathofconn

@Davvyk said:

@RussianDrink: How did you get the R4 esq streaking tail lights? Or were they added to the screenshot after?

My impression from playing is that it seems to be a track specific effect, but I'm not 100% sure.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@RussianDrink: That is awesome. I'll have to try out doing my own sometime, but for now, I will use that :D

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By selbie

@RussianDrink: no BatmanBatmanBatman? :P

RussianDrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RussianDrink

@wrathofconn said:

@Davvyk said:

My impression from playing is that it seems to be a track specific effect, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, that track enabled that effect for a brief period of time.

@selbie said:

@RussianDrink: no BatmanBatmanBatman? :P

No BatmanBatmanBatman :D Feel free to modify the skin by adding that

@manthorp said:

@RussianDrink: That is awesome. I'll have to try out doing my own sometime, but for now, I will use that :D

Thanks!

fr0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By fr0y0
    I drive around in my T-Shirt!
    I drive around in my T-Shirt!
    In a Videogame!
    In a Videogame!
    Whoo!
    Whoo!
    wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wrathofconn

Here's what I'm rockin' for the moment, and probably for a while since I don't like using the editor very much. Maybe Forza spoiled me.

No Caption Provided
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Bollard

@SharkMan: Holy bananas, was that all done with the in-game shapes? Musta taken ages!

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By ZimboDK

Just finished a BatmanBatmanBatman car:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By TheAdmin

@ZimboDK: Oh man, that's pretty slick looking. nice work!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MisterMouse

@ZimboDK: My favorite thus far haha.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SharkMan
    No Caption Provided

made some slight changes to my car, and i'm pretty proud that it turned out right considering all the problems i'm having with the mediatracker.

No Caption Provided
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#19  Edited By MightyDuck

Great paint jobs guys!

This makes me wish their was a console version of the game. Over the last few years, Forza and GT just don't hold my interest anymore. Rather...I find myself jumping into arcade racers more and more.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Robo
    No Caption Provided

One of mine for now. Made with the stickers a fellow bomber provided in the other thread.

I gotta redo some things on it. It looks silver while racing, which is neat, but a bit too much. I'll probably remake it flat black or just edit the .dds and take out some shinyness.

I'm working on a New Orleans Saints one now.

RussianDrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RussianDrink

@Robo: Nice! I like it :) Has the Whiskey Media logo on top like @fr0y0. It's a good element to have in common.

@ZimboDK: slick BatmanBatmanBatman car. I wish I would have remembered that picture for my Batman car.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By selbie

@SharkMan said:

No Caption Provided

made some slight changes to my car, and i'm pretty proud that it turned out right considering all the problems i'm having with the mediatracker.

Wow. Is that a custom mod? or do lights and your profile name show up like that on everyone's cars?

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Robo
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Saints-mobile.

Made the same mistake of making parts of this too shiny, so some of it gets washed out with all the reflection.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By winsord

@selbie: All he did was change the tail light color when he edited the DDS file (the car's texture). Then, for the name, he had just lowered the opacity of the area surrounding the letters in order to make them light up.

@RiotBananas: It is for the time being. There's a huge community of 3D model makers who will relatively soon begin to put out other, unofficial cars. The models from Track Mania United Forever don't actually work in this game for the most part due to certain sizing limitations and as a result will need to be updated/redone. There are people who have gotten other models to work already, but it's all pretty buggy right now so people aren't releasing them publicly quite yet (for the most part, at least).

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheAdmin

@Robo: Wow! That's awesome! How did you get the colors so tight on the car? I mean the separation of white,black and gold. Did you put black down first?

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Robo
    @TheAdmin: I started with a flat black car, which is sort of difficult because its hard to make out the body lines. Then I put that shiny black fading halftone pattern on the front and back to look like mesh. Then I used a bunch of different shapes to make up the gold and white parts. Then more halftone mesh over that in the front and back.

Made a bunch of stickers including the Fleur de Lis, "SAINTS" text, NFL logo, my "Domeland Security" sign, an NFC logo, and a superbowl XLVI logo (those last two I left off, seemed a little cluttered).
    The wheels were actually the hardest part. It'd probably be easier to do the wheels by editing the texture in Photoshop after.

There's a detail I forgot to add. the sort of baked-on shadows thing in the editor. It makes for a nice finishing touch.

Wondering what car to put together next.

@Winsord

: What's this about adding lights by editing the dds? I could definitely put together a badass Tron paintjob if I could figure that out.
    edit: Looked into it, looks like it only applies to details. Unless I could somehow work in some kind of SkinIllum.dds...but I'm guessing there's no default call to that in the game's engine.
    SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SharkMan

@selbie: its a custom detailsillum.dds and detailsdiffuse.dds files

@robo: awesome saints skin.

images were just found on google image search and edited a bit, jpg quality really got screwed up on these pics.

download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42180555/Trackmania/KATY.zip fix'd link... i think

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Robo

@SharkMan: Thats pretty awesome.

I managed to figure out the light up name/parts thing, but mine seems to have a jagged white outline around the text. Your cars don't seem to have that problem, what the hell am i doing wrong?

Edit: Figured out the lights. Basically in my alpha channel I made the letters themselves lights instead of just putting a big box around them like the brake lights. Did that, looks fucking awesome now. Gives me some ideas too.

Edit (again): Added the site and a license plate that lights up. Gotta make it a little bigger maybe (it can only be so big and still fit in the slot, unfortunately) but there ya go for now.

No Caption Provided
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By selbie

@SharkMan, @Winsord: Thanks for the tips. I'll experiment with that soon

@Robo: My first guess would be that it's something to do with the alpha channel. (This guide is helpful)

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SharkMan

thanks i think its fixed now; no idea what was wrong.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheAdmin

@Robo said:

No Caption Provided

@SharkMan: Thats pretty awesome.

I managed to figure out the light up name/parts thing, but mine seems to have a jagged white outline around the text. Your cars don't seem to have that problem, what the hell am i doing wrong?

Edit: Figured out the lights. Basically in my alpha channel I made the letters themselves lights instead of just putting a big box around them like the brake lights. Did that, looks fucking awesome now. Gives me some ideas too.

Edit (again): Added the site and a license plate that lights up. Gotta make it a little bigger maybe (it can only be so big and still fit in the slot, unfortunately) but there ya go for now.

Can you explain in a little more detail how you got the lights red, your name "robo" to light up, and the license plate to change? What files are you editing? Where are you putting them?

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SharkMan

@TheAdmin said: Can you explain in a little more detail how you got the lights red, your name "robo" to light up, and the license plate to change? What files are you editing? Where are you putting them?

if you installed the game in the default folder without specifying anything, go here: "C:\ProgramData\ManiaPlanet\PacksCache" there should be a zip file in here called "TMCanyon_HD.zip" open that, inside that file there is a directory listing, you need to search through the directory to get to the other zip. goto "\Canyon\GameCtnObjectInfo\Vehicles\" and just so you dont completely mess up anything copy the zip in there to somewhere else, i threw it on my desktop.

Inside that file there are 2 dds files that you would need to create custom lights and painting where you wouldn't normally be able to paint, sure you could just edit the glow but it would look weird in the day tracks, having nothing there.

the 2 files are called:

DetailsIllum.dds

DetailsDiffuse.dds

you need to have the plugin to open these dds files you can get one here for photoshop: http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop (there is another for gimp as well but i'm not sure where)

It is very important to save the dds with an alpha channel or you will get some weird graphical problems with the interior; i seem to remember saving specifically in DXT5 | interpolated alpha from previous trackmania games so pick that one when saving.

Just save the dds files when you are done and put them into the zip of your custom car, your custom cars are located at the easy to find directoy usually found at: "\Documents\ManiaPlanet\Skins\Vehicles\CanyonCar\"

also even if you have an ati card like me, the dds thing from nvidia will work, i notice i get that question alot.

I hope this information helps, took me forever to find these directories with little to no information anywhere on google, except on the facepunch forums; took about 4 hours to find on sunday, and 5 minutes to post this post.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Robo

@SharkMan: Yeah figuring some of this stuff out was a challenge. I followed some tutorials at http://news.mania-creative.com/ and have been following the forums there. There's also some useful info on http://www.maniapark.com/ forums.

One good, concise guide is still kind of hard to find. I'll post up some examples of what changes i made to the dds files and why/what they do.

A helpful tip: When you open the maniaplanet launcher, go to "help" and you can move the game/personal data to more easy to find folders. You can also click "custom data" for a few other tools that might be helpful and direct links to certain common directories.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By emem

Well, I took a bit more colorful approach, but I haven't messed with any files yet. :)

No Caption Provided
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Robo

So here's a little guide I made with some tips for how to work with the DetailsIllum.dds and DetailsDiffuse.dds files.

No Caption Provided
    SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SharkMan

hey robo have you tried glowifying the brake rotors?

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Robo

@SharkMan: Thought about that too while i was making the guide. It'd probably be easy to add an effect that lights the rotors up when you hit the brakes. It'd be unrealistically off and on instantly and probably too bright, but it's worth a shot.

Hmm, actually, I don't know how to give the rotors an off state. Maybe if I make the normal glow REALLY subtle the glow when activated might be bright enough.

Seems I was somewhat mistaken. I can't manage to get the rotors to light up. now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the wheels being in the way or if the lights only work on the front and rear. Gonna do a test car that's all lights for the details, see if that's the case.

Done...and it only furthers my confusion.

No Caption Provided

As you can see here, EVERYTHING can light up.

This is insane. I just can NOT get the brakes to light up. I've even tried coloring a bunch of areas differently to see if maybe something else is being used for the brake rotor texture but if it is, I can't find it. You'd think it'd just be the big ass brake rotor.

I'm just going to overlay a bigass numbered grid over the whole thing and try to read them and locate the rotors, heh.

rohboat64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By rohboat64
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Robo

So I found the brake.

I think the caliper you see on the diffuse.dds is SUPPOSED to be the texture applied to it, but for whatever reason it isn't attached properly. So it defaults to the 1 pixel in the lower left corner for the rotor.

No Caption Provided

So there it is unlit (as dim as possible for it not to show up while driving but glow fairly bright while braking) and lit.

It just flatly colors the rotor though, so it really looks kinda crappy. It also colors the inside of the hood vent thing, which is occasionally visible and looks stupid too.

I'll wait for people to start making models to bring it up again so someone can re-attach the diffuse and illumination maps properly.

Along the way I discovered a neat trick for a color-changing paint effect I want to try out.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SamStrife

Robo man, these last few posts you've made have helped me more than hours of trawling the net. Thanks man

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Robo

So I stumbled upon a way of making multicolor chamelion/"flip flop" paint. Basically you edit the skin dds with mipmaps and make each mipmap a different color, then save it with mipmaps again. 
    This car's paintjob goes through rainbow colors depending on distance.
    Sorry for the large .gif. If it's too much of a pain I may slap it on YouTube instead.

I'm guessing the effect works with lights and details as well.
    RussianDrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RussianDrink

@Robo said:

So I stumbled upon a way of making multicolor chamelion/"flip flop" paint. Basically you edit the skin dds with mipmaps and make each mipmap a different color, then save it with mipmaps again.
    This car's paintjob goes through rainbow colors depending on distance.
    Sorry for the large .gif. If it's too much of a pain I may slap it on YouTube instead.

I'm guessing the effect works with lights and details as well.

That just blew my mind. That's great!

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SharkMan

@robo: yeah i've seen someone color that grey bar right above the spot where we have been putting names, and apparently that is used on every edge, from the door boarders all over the car, makes a tron like effect, but it still looks weird.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Robo
    @SharkMan: Oh that's where that is? Yeah I've seen people posting paint jobs with glowing seams. It'd be less weird if you could control which seams glow, but I don't think you can.

Is there some issue with custom skins not being shared properly? I've seen a few but a lot of gray cars. I've also been told mine wasn't loading, even with a loc file.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By Bollard

This thread... I have no idea what you guys are doing, but the skins I've seen are unbelievably awesome - keep it up!

Zalera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#47  Edited By Zalera
    No Caption Provided
    Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Gav47

Can anyone tell me how to use .loc files so I can host my skin from my dropbox?

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SharkMan

@Robo said:

@SharkMan: Oh that's where that is? Yeah I've seen people posting paint jobs with glowing seams. It'd be less weird if you could control which seams glow, but I don't think you can. Is there some issue with custom skins not being shared properly? I've seen a few but a lot of gray cars. I've also been told mine wasn't loading, even with a loc file.

i have no idea, i've been hearing the same thing, but someone did ask me one night how i got green taillights. honestly i have no idea how it selects what person's car is going to download first. If it was smart, it would download friends skins first, but it isn't. :/

@Gav47: there is a thread for just this, in this forum.

RussianDrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RussianDrink

@Unenthusiastic: I actually really like that one. Care to provide us with a download link, sir?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.