Computer Overheating?

#1 Edited by Rmack (1078 posts) -

I have a reasonable computer over here--just played through all of Crysis 3 on it with no issues--yet it seems to sound like a turbine whenever I play Trackmania. It runs and sounds fine, but I feel like it's breaking my computer. Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 Edited by Trace (3556 posts) -

I haven't experienced anything catastrophic with Trackmania 2, but I've had two older computers die on me due to hardware failure while playing previous Trackmania titles. It does spin the fans on my computer to a feverish pitch, though.

The causes might have been unrelated to the game itself, but I certainly don't think Trackmania is efficient with resources.

#3 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -

Weird. I remember something similar happened with Legend of Grimrock. Forcing vsync stopped the issue, but I don't know how to do that here.

#4 Posted by Bollard (5550 posts) -

Hmm, I never seem to have a problem but I do remember my GPU fan sounding louder than usual recently, and I think that was during TM2: Stadium. You might be on to something.

#5 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I bought the game, and I checked the fans immediately after playing, and everything seemed fine... but now I'm liable to never play it again for fear of overheating!

#6 Posted by Atwa (620 posts) -

There is a Vsync option, start settings when launching. Configure>Advanced> Comparability.

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

143 frames per second over here, no vsync. I WANT ALL DAT FRAMES.

#8 Posted by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

Hmmm never thought of Trackmania as a resource hog.

#9 Edited by Szlifier (494 posts) -

Vsync should be turned on, turn reflections to low. The game will run smoother and limit frames to 60, therefore it won't have to generate useless frames, no power wasted.

#10 Posted by Spam101 (142 posts) -

pretty sure it made my GPU overheat yesterday. I ended up with a lined screen, couldn't tab out, then the computer shut itself down.

#11 Edited by audioBusting (1542 posts) -

You can turn Vsync on through your graphics card control panel too (both Nvidia and ATI have their own). I keep it always turned on since Sims 3 ran at 800 FPS and crashed my laptop a couple of times. It fortunately works for Trackmania before I even realize that was a problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.