TrackMania 2 Stadium Server

#101 Posted by Stevemax (66 posts) -

To limit the spam and keep all the user created tracks in one spot I've made a thread for it. If you have posted your tracks here, please inbox me or post on that thread.

Cheers. :)

#102 Edited by Karsh (159 posts) -

Sorry about Unofficial Classic's downtime--it went down and then mysteriously vanished from the server list for a while. I started to panic, rebooted a few times, and ultimately determined that Nadeo's server list is just unbelievably slow tonight. Oops!

Both servers are up and at map parity right now. Enjoy!

edit: Also Dedimania is supporting TM2 Stadium as of today, so I'm enabling Dedimania on my server tonight. Hopefully it'll actually pull in some records soon enough.

#103 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Apparently I've been IP banned from the unofficial server for "Time Incoherence". I have a pretty dodgy internet connection that leads to some "Invalid Time" errors sometimes (other times it's fine though. It's weird), but I've never had a server ban me before.

#104 Edited by Thoseposers (791 posts) -

I don't know anything about the process but what's the possibility of getting more music on the servers? It'd be nice to have a big fat playlist to jukebox

#105 Posted by beepmachine (617 posts) -

I might be alone in thinking this, but why is the music on the server so shitty? Cher might be funny for 30 seconds, but hearing that fucking song every 5 tracks is a nightmare.

#106 Posted by joey (987 posts) -

I just added this car model and it's fuckin' great. It really adds to the madness.

#107 Posted by Karsh (159 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

Apparently I've been IP banned from the unofficial server for "Time Incoherence". I have a pretty dodgy internet connection that leads to some "Invalid Time" errors sometimes (other times it's fine though. It's weird), but I've never had a server ban me before.

Sorry about that--I really wish I had an answer for why this keeps happening, but Unofficial Classic's banlist and logs are empty so I can only point fingers at Nadeo's temporary IP ban system. If that happens to you again (or to anybody else), could you guys do me a favor and check if you can log into other servers?

The timer should be up now so you should be able to log back in.

I don't know anything about the process but what's the possibility of getting more music on the servers? It'd be nice to have a big fat playlist to jukebox

Jeff needs to add the oggs to a webserver for both of our servers, so I have to go through him. But he's obviously a pretty busy dude. I figure he'll be able to worry about stuff like this on the weekends.

I might be alone in thinking this, but why is the music on the server so shitty? Cher might be funny for 30 seconds, but hearing that fucking song every 5 tracks is a nightmare.

The Authentic Trackmania Experience™. Although, you can juke songs by clicking the Song widget at the top right and clicking the titles of songs. As far as I know, the music plugin has no imposed limit on how many songs you can juke in a row, so you can totally customize your listening experience...Unless someone is a dick and keeps adding Cher.

#109 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -
@karsh said:

@mattyftm said:

Sorry about that--I really wish I had an answer for why this keeps happening, but Unofficial Classic's banlist and logs are empty so I can only point fingers at Nadeo's temporary IP ban system. If that happens to you again (or to anybody else), could you guys do me a favor and check if you can log into other servers?

Still getting the message "Could not connect: You were banned from the server". Having no problems connecting to other servers such as Official Classic. Weird.

#110 Edited by Karsh (159 posts) -

@mattyftm said:
@karsh said:

@mattyftm said:

Still getting the message "Could not connect: You were banned from the server". Having no problems connecting to other servers such as Official Classic. Weird.

Alright, NOW you appeared in my banlist. Removed you, you should be good to go.

Again, sorry about that. If it keeps happening I'll disable time validating and install an anti-cheat plugin instead.

For everybody else: Dedimania is fully enabled on Unofficial Classic, and sort of enabled on Official but I need Jeff to poke some configs before everything's all set. I've also added some tracks to Unofficial that I'll roll onto Official if they get good karma.

I've also enabled /add, the command that lets you add ManiaExchange tracks by ID through a voting process. Try it out!

edit: Apparently that memory leak isn't plugin-related, it affects every server. It's also REALLY BAD. Check out this graph of it ballooning up to 4GB of memory for somebody within three hours.

#111 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

@karsh said:

@mattyftm said:
@karsh said:

@mattyftm said:

Alright, NOW you appeared in my banlist. Removed you, you should be good to go.

Again, sorry about that. If it keeps happening I'll disable time validating and install an anti-cheat plugin instead.

It's OK. I don't expect you to cater to my shitty ass internet connection. I understand that playing this sort of game is going to be imperfect with my internet connection. Unless it becomes a wider problem that effects a load of people, I wouldn't create more work for yourself by making those changes.

#112 Posted by Karsh (159 posts) -

Official Classic's host is down for maintenance.. again! I'll keep you guys posted, but currently TrackmaniaServer.org has nothing to say for themselves.. again.

Again.

#113 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

@karsh said:

Official Classic's host is down for maintenance.. again! I'll keep you guys posted, but currently TrackmaniaServer.org has nothing to say for themselves.. again.

Again.

Aha. Wondered if that was the case. Only just decided to get in on this beta & see what this whole mess is about this evening. From the little that I've been able to play, it's intriguing, albeit obviously worlds away from my usual driving fix of Forza

#114 Edited by Stevemax (66 posts) -

@joey: I started using that as well, but I kept getting frustrated by the fact I couldn't really tell which way my car was facing after a huge amount of air and I was slightly turning. :<

#115 Posted by Nishastra (14 posts) -

Interesting that the Unofficial server has somehow ended up having the highest-ranked people in the world playing on it, but unfortunately that means that any kind of even vaguely weird track gets downvoted into oblivion immediately. Also it means that it's developing its own community that is almost entirely not Giant Bomb :P

#116 Edited by DrGreatJob (129 posts) -

Hmmm something is up man, I can't play this online suddenly. I'm usually on as bonkadunk, doin' some sick nasty kickflips. Now, I'm just doing zero kickflips. Whiskey tango foxtrot, man!

#117 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2334 posts) -

@joey said:

I just added this car model and it's fuckin' great. It really adds to the madness.

GAME DONE CHANGED

#118 Edited by Karsh (159 posts) -

@drgreatjob said:

Hmmm something is up man, I can't play this online suddenly. I'm usually on as bonkadunk, doin' some sick nasty kickflips. Now, I'm just doing zero kickflips. Whiskey tango foxtrot, man!

ManiaPlanet's servers are down. All of them. Including ShootMania's.

#119 Edited by Spam101 (141 posts) -

devastated

@karsh said:

@drgreatjob said:

ManiaPlanet's servers are down. All of them. Including ShootMania's.

#120 Edited by Karsh (159 posts) -

Jeff discovered that you can still join the servers if you paste the ManiaLinks in the OP into the address bar game client. We've got some people on Official Classic (rockdeath2) if you're jonesin' for some tracks.

#121 Edited by whiskeyZ (21 posts) -

I've tried typing maniaplanet://#join=rockdeath2@TMStadium into the address bar but it's coming back with "Cannot join server: internal error"

Got it to work by typing maniaplanet://#join=Giant Bomb Official Classic

#122 Edited by Stevemax (66 posts) -

So is it just my end or is anyone else having troubles with the friends list? Sometimes I see a friend on sometimes they only see me and sometimes neither.

Also, Karsh you should remove the Nadeo tracks so it gets all freaky up in the server with weird tracks. :)

edit: I've made a bunch more tracks for you guys to check out and fixed some camera issues.

#123 Edited by bassman2112 (856 posts) -

Hey guys, quick question (didn't want to make a whole new post to ask it)

The "Glitch" track that has the animated intro of the dude in the helmet walking around has a song that it plays every time, I was just curious if you guys knew the name of it

Thanks!

#124 Edited by SharkMan (684 posts) -
#125 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Is there any way to easily mute using the /mute command for people with loads of weird symbols in their name who are just being completely unpleasant?

Also a big thanks to @karsh and @jeff for running two great servers.

#126 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

@joey said:

GAME DONE CHANGED

That is amazing. Going to check it out tonight when I get off work.

#127 Posted by Trace (3576 posts) -

Probably just a result of server tools not working properly, but looks like there's a few "serious" Trackmania players that are jumping in on the official GB server and votebanning people who aren't part of their clan. Be aware if you're not already.

Maybe they need more Star Wars Metallica in their lives.

#128 Edited by Karsh (159 posts) -

@pseg said:

Probably just a result of server tools not working properly, but looks like there's a few "serious" Trackmania players that are jumping in on the official GB server and votebanning people who aren't part of their clan. Be aware if you're not already.

Maybe they need more Star Wars Metallica in their lives.

That's not cool. Which server was this on? I'm going to disable votekicking/banning on Unofficial immediately.

@CircleNine said:

Is there any way to easily mute using the /mute command for people with loads of weird symbols in their name who are just being completely unpleasant?

Also a big thanks to @karsh and @jeff for running two great servers.

Use /players to find the account name of the person in question, and /mute that.

edit: Nobody could tell me which clan was doing that, but I increased the votekick/voteban vote threshold to hopefully take care of this for now. Also unbanned everybody.

Sorry about the weird problems with non-GiantBombers lately. We could password the servers, but it'd likely kill the playercounts on them and I don't want to make it boring for you guys. But I also don't want people pulling shit like that, so I'll keep on top of it in the future.

#129 Posted by Trace (3576 posts) -

@karsh said:

That's not cool. Which server was this on? I'm going to disable votekicking/banning on Unofficial immediately.

It was on Jeff's Official. Can't remember the clan name -- DTE or something like that, light blue and white names, silly special characters to spell out their clan name and the like.

Didn't bother me all that much, since I assumed it was a result of plug-ins not loading or the like, and I was only going to run a round or two. If anything, it makes me all the happier to bother the non-GB'ers with our track and music choices (and my defense of both).

#130 Posted by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

@pseg said:

@karsh said:

It was on Jeff's Official. Can't remember the clan name -- DTE or something like that, light blue and white names, silly special characters to spell out their clan name and the like.

Didn't bother me all that much, since I assumed it was a result of plug-ins not loading or the like, and I was only going to run a round or two. If anything, it makes me all the happier to bother the non-GB'ers with our track and music choices (and my defense of both).

I can confirm I saw this as well, don't remember the clan, but there have been some votebans going on. Also, a lot of people whining about obi-wan action cam, which is some real fuckin bullshit.

#131 Posted by Stevemax (66 posts) -

I tend not to join the Official anymore, Unofficial has some nice people but you may find a troll every so often. However, I do like it when people constantly play Cher!
I wish more bombers would make some tracks, it's always fun to play something community created and we definitely need more Obi-Wan cam. :P

#132 Edited by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Anyone know how to add Car Model's to the Steam version of the game? Want to check out the Sonic Car Model joey posted, but I'm not sure where to put the file.

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out.

#133 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

GIANT BOMB OFFICIAL CLASSIC - 24/7 BASS CANNON, KICK IT

@karsh said:

Use /players to find the account name of the person in question, and /mute that.

Rad, thanks.

#134 Posted by Karsh (159 posts) -

Official Classic lost its tracklist during a reboot last night. I've uploaded Unofficial Classic's backup for now, but unfortunately this includes a bunch of crappy tracks that were deleted. I'll remove bad tracks as I see them, but if I'm not on, just make sure to give them negative karma and I'll delete things under 50 karma ASAP.

#135 Edited by Stevemax (66 posts) -

^ I noticed that it lacked tracks last night, wasn't sure what was up. :o

@jjor64 said:

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out.

Possibly one of the worst things anyone can do on the internet, not explain the solution. :P

If someone is still trying to figure it out make your way to "C:\Users\ (your user) \Documents\ManiaPlanet\Skins\Models\CarCommon" create folders if necessary and just place the .zip file there. :)

#136 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

yeeey!

#137 Edited by hkr (11 posts) -

Is it just me or is official classic's music playlist stuck on one song? It was a different one last night.

#138 Posted by Karsh (159 posts) -

It probably is. XAseco has been extra crashy lately. I'll set it to reboot immediately.

#139 Posted by bassman2112 (856 posts) -

Hey @jeff & @karsh

Would you guys be up for putting this Linkin Park dubstep up on either server? =)

#140 Posted by nophilip (184 posts) -

Why is everything broken

#141 Posted by Karsh (159 posts) -

PSA: Stick to Unofficial for an uninterrupted Trackmania experience (Traxperience).

From what I can tell, Dedimania has been down pretty often, causing problems for both servers. But the main problem is that the Trackmania beta server software has a horrible memory leak. The dedicated host for Official has no idea how to handle it. I have noticed that they've neutered our memory limit, though! So short of restarting the server every few hours, there's nothing we can do for now.

Unofficial is hosted on my personal VPS which I have more control over. I've been rebooting it fairly often and it has more hardware behind it than Official does, so it's generally more stable. It has less tracks than Official does, but that's because I've removed a handful of universally-hated tracks. Otherwise it's the same community, and most importantly the same music. Also you can /add tracks there, take advantage of that.

#142 Posted by Adrock4 (16 posts) -

@stevemax said:
I wish more bombers would make some tracks, it's always fun to play something community created and we definitely need more Obi-Wan cam. :P

Check your PMs.

Oh, and I guess I'm a bomber now.

#143 Posted by Stevemax (66 posts) -

@adrock4: I guess so then huh :P. It's a pretty neat site you should stay awhile and listen. As for your track I've added it to the server and my thread, much appreciated! :)

#144 Posted by Mastaz (1 posts) -

Official server is down as of 9:37pm (GMT -8:00) Hah, everyone's partying up on the Unofficial.

#145 Edited by Karsh (159 posts) -

Official's host server is undergoing maintenance and has been for an hour or so. Just another normal day for TrackmaniaServer.

#146 Posted by Indecis10n (6 posts) -

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I haven't found anywhere else where this might fit (please correct me if I am wrong). When I try to connect to the server, it begins the connection ("Joining Server..." dialogue) but then it dumps me back to the server select screen, does anyone know why/ how to fix this? I have been waiting to get back into trackmania, and thought this would be the perfect time.

Thanks in advance

#147 Posted by Forderz (245 posts) -

Is unofficial server offline? That's where all my local records are, and Offical is full of haters.

#148 Posted by SharkMan (684 posts) -

@karsh @Jeff hey that Shaft guy that made those really cool Fullspeed tracks said to add these 2 are his and one of them is a FS dirt track, he gave me these track id #s to pass on to you

29687 29389 29624

#149 Posted by Karsh (159 posts) -

@forderz said:

Is unofficial server offline? That's where all my local records are, and Offical is full of haters.

Nope. Just unpopulated.

@sharkman said:

@karsh @Jeff hey that Shaft guy that made those really cool Fullspeed tracks said to add these 2 are his and one of them is a FS dirt track, he gave me these track id #s to pass on to you

29687 29389 29624

Added. I've also added a bunch of other tracks from TMX to Official Classic.

Regarding the future of Unofficial Classic: My server hasn't been getting nearly as much traffic as Official Classic lately. I'm considering switching Unofficial Classic over to Canyon.

Why? Because there were requests for a Canyon server again. Canyon's pretty great! It'd also allow us to have Giant Bomb servers for both environments, and Jeff and I wouldn't have to manage two tracklists for the same environment. However, this means we'd only have 50 effective Stadium player slots instead of the 100 we currently have. Stadium is pretty popular right now, but lately both servers have only been filling simultaneously at peak hours on weekends. Regardless of what happens, I'll still try to manage both servers.

I'll post a poll thread if there's enough of a debate. We'll see how the numbers are this weekend.

#150 Posted by stalefishies (344 posts) -

@karsh said:

@forderz said:

Nope. Just unpopulated.

@sharkman said:

29687 29389 29624

Added. I've also added a bunch of other tracks from TMX to Official Classic.

Regarding the future of Unofficial Classic: My server hasn't been getting nearly as much traffic as Official Classic lately. I'm considering switching Unofficial Classic over to Canyon.

Why? Because there were requests for a Canyon server again. Canyon's pretty great! It'd also allow us to have Giant Bomb servers for both environments, and Jeff and I wouldn't have to manage two tracklists for the same environment. However, this means we'd only have 50 effective Stadium player slots instead of the 100 we currently have. Stadium is pretty popular right now, but lately both servers have only been filling simultaneously at peak hours on weekends. Regardless of what happens, I'll still try to manage both servers.

I'll post a poll thread if there's enough of a debate. We'll see how the numbers are this weekend.

How easy is it to switch servers? Is it at all feasible to have a Canyon server which changes over to Stadium at weekends? Because that seems like the best of both worlds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.