TrackMania with or without a controller?

Posted by christopherson329 (218 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: TrackMania with or without a controller? (126 votes)

yes 79%
no 21%
#1 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

Which ever you prefer...

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5085 posts) -

Yes because that is how Jeff plays?

#3 Posted by Barrabas (326 posts) -

I've played it just fine without a controller in the past, but I'll always prefer one for racing games.

#4 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

I'm a fan of using the controller, just because it's got finer controls than a keyboard.

#5 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Poll options don't make any sense. LOL.

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

I use a controller when I play it.

#7 Edited by The_Grindilow (431 posts) -

Controller here. I'm having a hard time justifying upgrading from Canyon. Seems a bit of a waste of money just for a new tileset. Still a hell of a lot of fun to be had on Canyon too.

#8 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Poll options don't make any sense. LOL.

YES

#9 Edited by Happenstance (462 posts) -

I prefer using the keyboard

#10 Edited by phuzzybunny (172 posts) -

Definitely love using the keyboard. I tried using the controller but i can't get the precision I like.

#11 Edited by CollegeGuyMike (389 posts) -

I use a controller.

#12 Posted by JacDG (2126 posts) -

I want to use a controller, but I've always had issues connecting them to my laptop, so I've just used my keyboard and had no fun with it. Still can't believe I conquered Super Meat Boy without a controller.

#13 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

That is not a yes or no question but with a controller because the turning is sensitivity based where the keyboard is either all or nothing.

#14 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@the_grindilow: Personally I hated the feel of the car in canyon and love the feel of driving in stadium, more than worth it to upgrade imo. To each his own I guess.

#15 Posted by TheHT (11292 posts) -

i play it without and would much rather use one. too lazy to fetch my PS3 controller for it though, especially since i usually load it up for 10 minutes or so at a time.

#16 Posted by Optix12 (615 posts) -

Im doing just fine without a controller and dont have the time to learn using the controller.

#17 Edited by Gruebacca (519 posts) -

What kind of question is this? Every driving game is best with a controller. Analog sticks are much easier to precisely move your car in a specific direction while keys just turn your car at a certain speed until you let go. Imagine playing a driving game with the face buttons instead.

#18 Edited by Colonel_Sarin (1 posts) -

I used a (360) controller in Canyon but I'm having trouble getting it to work right in Stadium. It's bound Accelerate to the right bumper and it's not accepting the right trigger as a valid input.

#19 Posted by MC_Hify (337 posts) -

I don't think it has analog control for acceleration so I don't think you can use the triggers. At least the last time I checked that was the case.

#20 Edited by The_Grindilow (431 posts) -

@nickl said:

@the_grindilow: Personally I hated the feel of the car in canyon and love the feel of driving in stadium, more than worth it to upgrade imo. To each his own I guess.

You know what dude I totally forgot about reverting back to the old cars. I did like the handling in Canyon, but the open wheelers are a bit easier to get to grips with. Kinda considering picking it up now.

#21 Edited by selbie (1904 posts) -

It gives you a much finer control for precise turns. Hitting the perfect apex of a turn can gain you 1st place record in some cases.

#22 Posted by Pr1mus (3914 posts) -

Racing Wheel

#23 Posted by Atwa (620 posts) -

I tried with keyboard but its just not as fun to me.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I had a much better time playing Canyon with a controller because of how much you could drift with that car. The car in Stadium seems to have very little ability to drift so the keyboard is pretty much on-par with my controller.

#25 Edited by Fattony12000 (7424 posts) -

Bolth.

But mostly X360 pad because it's good.

#26 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Controller. I'm not a savage.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

What else would you use? The keyboard? Good luck.

#28 Posted by wa27 (7 posts) -

Is there some trick to getting this to work with a 360 pad? It doesn't seem to let me bind any of the buttons in the game (pushing one on the bind prompt does nothing). I just want analog control!

#29 Edited by bassman2112 (837 posts) -

I played for over a year with a KB, but within the past week have started using a controller.

My times have gotten so, so much better with the controller - I'm never going back.

#30 Posted by warpr (83 posts) -

Even though I play most pc games with a wired Xbox 360 controller, I play this on keyboard. I didn't have my controller with me when I started playing Canyon and now I'm used to it. I have shitty times, but that's not why I play this game so it doesn't matter :)

#31 Posted by Exodeath13 (1 posts) -

Personally, I use a wired xbox controller, I have used it since TMUF and I honestly think that it has made me a better racer over time (currently in the top 500 with Stadium and the top 100 in Canyon)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.