3 out of 5?

#1 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

So I read Jeff's review and I gotta say I was kinda expecting this game to get at least a 4 out of five. I'm not the type to get bent out of shape when it comes to a review at all but "just a distraction" ? Really? Maybe it's because I'm a fan of Transformers and I agree the game isn't perfect but I just thought it deserves better. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone here?

#2 Posted by Cirdain (3045 posts) -

I'm feeling an 7/10

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I feel this: Stars, numbers or whatever don't mean crap.

Your favorite game could be rated 2/5 or 60/100 whatever, that won't mean shit to you when you're playing.
Also, reviews are opinions and I'm sure a fan would appreciate certain games of their beloved franchises more then a normal gamer.

(No offense or anything, but reading back my text sounds a bit mad, sorry :P )

#4 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

No game deserves any score. If you feel the game should be a 4/5, then write a review yourself. Giantbomb has such a feature. ^_^

#5 Edited by zonerover (584 posts) -
@Atary77: In response to your piece:

@TaliciaDragonsong

said:

" I feel this: Stars, numbers or whatever don't mean crap.  Your favorite game could be rated 2/5 or 60/100 whatever, that won't mean shit to you when you're playing. Also, reviews are opinions and I'm sure a fan would appreciate certain games of their beloved franchises more then a normal gamer.  (No offense or anything, but reading back my text sounds a bit mad, sorry :P ) "

Yeah, review scores don't really matter too much but I can understand that if you liked a game and someone you liked disagreed with you that you would be curious as to why they made that judgement. Personally just looking at game footage (no gameplay for me), it does look pretty ordinary, although I can understand why a Transformers fan would like the fact that they are telling the backstory of the franchise.

All said and done though, you have an opinion and Jeff has an opinion over a videogame review.

All I'm going to say is good luck!
#6 Edited by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

You know your tastes in games better then any reviewer, so if your interested in a game, go check it out.  Also, I think the whole "distraction" thing probably means that the game has very little content that will keep the player interested in the game after completion. 

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -
@Atary77 said:
" So I read Jeff's review and I gotta say I was kinda expecting this game to get at least a 4 out of five. I'm not the type to get bent out of shape when it comes to a review at all but "just a distraction" ? Really? Maybe it's because I'm a fan of Transformers and I agree the game isn't perfect but I just thought it deserves better. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone here? "
I'm not sure what your point is.  You said yourself, your feelings for the game are mainly coming from your Transformers nostalgia.

Reviews should be unbiased.. I wouldn't expect the game to only get 2/5 because Jeff doesn't like Transformers, so why should it get more if he is a massive Transformers fan?  It needs to work both ways.  If you happen to enjoy the game more, that's fine, nothing's stopping you from considering it to be a better game and you could even write your own review and post it up on here.  I for one would appreciate a look at the game from someone more seriously into Transformers.

Although even as a fan, the lack of any kind of offline multiplayer definitely relegates it down to a 3/5 for me.
#8 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@Atary77 said:
" Yeah I agree with you folks. A reveiw shouldn't matter as long as the player enjoys the game which I certainly do. After all I enjoy playing Dante's Inferno despite how much Ryan hated it ,but that's for another forum. Hehe "
also enjoying a game and disagreeing with a score are 2 completely different things, or should be at least. Taking your example of Dante, I also liked it, quite a bit, but I also agree with most reviews of it and myself would never give it more than a 3/5 or a 7/10. People need to stop using scores as a measure of enjoyment
#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

People need to stop freaking out over it I think.
Yes it's quite understandable if a game you love/looked out too gets a lower score then expected, but you need only visit gametrailers.com to see what mindless rabid fanboys can do if a score is not to their liking. 

It also ruins our image as gamers!

("They day GT lost all creds? Who gives a damn? ><"

#10 Posted by MrMoobz (12 posts) -

3 out of 5 stars!! Reviewer is biased, the game deserves a 5 or 4 at the least.

#11 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I perfectly agreed with his review. The game is surprisingly good, but doesn't have enough weight to have long-term appeal. After the campaign is over, there's not much of a point to keep playing sense the multiplayer is "meh". 

#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (15901 posts) -

I'm a huge Transformers fan as well, and I agree with the 3/5.

#13 Posted by jkz (4008 posts) -

I've always thought of video-game scores as similar to movie scores. The scores themselves are representative solely of the technical and creative prowess of the title. Scores do not take into account the idea of "fun". I watched the A-Team last weekend, and while it was one of the stupidest movies I've seen in a long time, and was definitely no better than a 3/5 movie, I had more fun with it than I have with any title this year. 

Fun and Objective (to as much of a degree as is possible) Merit are two separate things. Reviews deal mostly with the latter because the former is, well, extremely subjective.

#14 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

This game clearly deserved 8.8!!! Giant Bomb is bias!!!11

#15 Posted by 71Ranchero (2728 posts) -

Although I would score it higher if I was giving it a review, the 3/5 doesn't bother me much. Hell this game may be my game of the year but its not going to be everyones game of the year.

#16 Posted by makari (597 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
" This game clearly deserved 8.8!!! Giant Bomb is bias!!!11 "
No chainsaws, it was practically a given.
#17 Posted by I_love_Eva_Braun (481 posts) -

Most people who played the game say it's great,so I'm gonna buy it.

IGN gave it a 9 out of 10

#18 Posted by Hammerjelly (221 posts) -

Having just finished the campaign last night. I would give it an 8/10. I'm gonna play through it again to get more of the achievements and check out the multiplayer modes.

#19 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@Atary77 said:
" So I read Jeff's review and I gotta say I was kinda expecting this game to get at least a 4 out of five. I'm not the type to get bent out of shape when it comes to a review at all but "just a distraction" ? Really? Maybe it's because I'm a fan of Transformers and I agree the game isn't perfect but I just thought it deserves better. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone here? "
I give that story a 5 out of 5, bro.
#20 Posted by DigitalJuno (28 posts) -

I'm three chapters away from completion on hard. There are things I dislike but most of them are minor and don't really take away from the game for me. I'm enjoying the multi player quite a bit as well. I think for me it's closer to 8/10. I think it's a wonderful start to what can be an improved upon series. I think it sets things up well for the next game.

#21 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

The people who complain about low scored are just as bad as the people who can't form their own opinion. 

What I mean is, if you complain about low scores, you suck. If you were about to buy a game that got high scores, but stopped because Giant Bomb disliked it, you suck too.

#22 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

The game's mechanics are sound, but the monkeys who worked as level designers on the game obviously had no understanding on the game's mechanics. You are losing when your game has a lot of cover in every level but you are not making a cover-based shooter.

#23 Posted by Optimus (32 posts) -
@DigitalJuno said:
"I think it's a wonderful start to what can be an improved upon series. I think it sets things up well for the next game. "
Agreed.  Enough little touches in it to make it certainly above average, but not the uber-polish and sheen you would expect from a 5 star title.  That's why I gave it a 4/5.
#24 Posted by DigitalJuno (28 posts) -
@Optimus: Precisely what i mean. I find it fascinating how divided people are on this game. It's definitely been a much hotter topic than I thought it would originally be. It's been fun to debate it with everyone.
#25 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:
" The game's mechanics are sound, but the monkeys who worked as level designers on the game obviously had no understanding on the game's mechanics. You are losing when your game has a lot of cover in every level but you are not making a cover-based shooter. "
The fact that there isn't a cover MECHANIC as such doesn't mean you don't need to take cover behind objects at times.  Why does everything have to be Gears of War? 

Honestly the level design is fine, never once did I have trouble finding my way and multiple times I thought to myself "this is a cool looking area"
#26 Posted by lilman1101 (1063 posts) -

I liked the review but if you don't agree with the score i would be happy to read a review of yours and see your opinion.

#27 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@josty81: In the Decepticons campaign, there is a set-piece in a train station. The area is so confined and the enemies so numerous that the only way to recharge your health is to go and transform and hide behind cover. You have to transform because the cover is waist-high. Waist-high cover in a game with no crouching and no cover-mechanic is meaningless. 

And that's not where the bad level design ends. Item placement and weapon placement is all over the place. And sometimes they go for the Halo-style 'arena' type set-pieces, like the aforementioned train-station, but the size is too limiting to approach the scenario like you would in Halo. Not to mention, that half the time Megatron's boost ability would just hit the ceiling. 

So clearly the level-designers did not have a very clear understanding of the game's  mechanics.
#28 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

It's not going to stop me from buying and playing it. 3/5 is not so bad considering it's better than the Michael Bay movie tie-in junk in the past few years.

#29 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@Atary77 said:
People have different opinions. Jeff isn't writing a review of what you think of the game.
#30 Posted by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -

I'd give it a 4-Star but a huge part of that is how directly all the fan-service (in your face, and subtle) is speaking directly to me.

...also, I found it kinda refreshing to be playing something without a cover system, kinda gives me a Quakey kinda feeling.

#31 Posted by Frostler (244 posts) -

Video game reviews mean almost as little as movie reviews, most of my favorite movies have like an 18 on metacritic. Same goes for my fav games.

#32 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

It should have been banana out of hotdog. Rage.

#33 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

War for Cybertron's an interesting game, having played it for about 6 hours so far: it's a fantastic Transformers game, it's a great franchise-tie-in game, it's a good shooter. Coming from a background that doesn't have much investment in the Transformers franchise and with little to no background on this game, I actually really enjoyed it. Sure, it doesn't have the great tactile shooting feel of Gears of War but it has a great sense of environment and feel coupled with some pretty cool presentation. Haven't played the multiplayer yet, but so far I'd give it a 3.5/5 from myself personally.

#34 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" I feel this: Stars, numbers or whatever don't mean crap.  Your favorite game could be rated 2/5 or 60/100 whatever, that won't mean shit to you when you're playing. Also, reviews are opinions and I'm sure a fan would appreciate certain games of their beloved franchises more then a normal gamer.  (No offense or anything, but reading back my text sounds a bit mad, sorry :P ) "
#35 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

That's why I read the review as well.

#36 Posted by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

Eh GB's allowd to have their opinion just like anyone else.  I for one don't agree with Jeffs review, loved the campaign and am on my 3rd replay already while I tried the multiplayer and got bored of it pretty fast.

#37 Posted by RobertCannon (6 posts) -

3/5?
 the Campaign can be pretty wack... I'm not going to lie but it's pretty obvious the game developers didn't really work out some Bioshock type story here... Each chapter is 20 minutes... and its all a cakewalk sub Hardmode... then its just /wrists "why would i come fight a giant fooken robot and not have an air raid of ammo raining down on me?!?!?"  I found the side chatter of the campaign to be a treat but my roommate muted it just to get through decepticon territory w/out Alt F4ing (thats computer talk for rage quit) cuzz it annoyed him that much.

I'd honestly give the story a 2/5 since the only part of it that was "le sigh" or "f' this hardmode" was the last chapter epic juke here there everywhere to survive in the Autobots campaign.

HOWEVER! I would give the multiplayer a 5/5... I haven't enjoyed online fps'ing this much since i had a railgun running off launching platforms flying a billion mph and sniping someone in the head.  Quake? ne1? ne1? I played FEAR... it was decent but never BOOYA! MW2? meh... its just a standard format. Gears of War? too slow paced imho.  This is twitch shooting at its finest.

PS.  Robot heads are REALLY small and the model posture seems to do a DAMN good job of preventing the "oh hey there..." and then ur dead headshots.

#38 Posted by biggblack86 (124 posts) -

reviews are nothing but opinions. nothing more, nothing less. yours will invariably be different than that of the reviewer. but eh, if you like the game. thats all that really matters right? =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.