Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Transformers: War For Cybertron

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jun 22, 2010

A depiction of the beginning of the infamous war between the noble Autobots and the nefarious Decepticons, set on the Transformers' homeworld, Cybertron, long before they had even heard of humans or the planet Earth.

Transformers War for Cybertron Demo Impressions

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

Edited By delta_ass

Well, just played it. Ummm... it's pretty fun. I'm a fan so far. Probably gonna go buy the full game, unless reviews are really bad. It has a sort of Unreal Tournament-ish feel that I enjoy. Didn't figure out how to transform until the second game, but once I did, the combat became a lot deeper as you press down to transform into the vehicle and zoom around at a good speed. Weapon on the soldier vehicle felt like it was a little weak. Perhaps that's the dynamic they wanted, for the vehicle to be the mode where you can be very mobile and move around the map in good order, and for the actual robot to have more firepower and be the combative form. That sort of dynamic makes a lot of sense to me. Umm, only complaint about the vehicle movement is that there really isn't much strafing or drifting around. It seems very hard to do. So boosting straight ahead is very quick, but you can't navigate around corners that well. I kept bumping into corners and doorways a lot.

So far, only been playing with the Soldier class. My outfit loadout's the Chaingun and Shotgun. Chaingun feels really nice so far. You get some slow shots off at the beginning before it fully revs up to full auto and you start spamming shots everywhere. Definitely my go-to gun so far. Haven't tried out the assault rifle yet so I dunno how that one works. The uh, shotgun doesn't quite seem that great. I mean, it delivers a very powerful shot at close range when you hit, but... it fires really slowly. Also, the thing seems like a double barrelled shotgun, because it seemed to require a lengthy reload after every two shots. That's just way too slow for my tastes. If you're great at aiming and can make those two shots everytime, then I suppose it's a great dueling weapon, but I felt like it was a bit too lacking. Of course, it's also for close range only, so that's another downside.

Haven't really tried melee. There is that whirlwind attack that the Soldier can do, which basically makes you look like an idiot swinging your arms around and around. Didn't get to try it in actual combat, I was just pressing random buttons, but it really looked stupid. I can't believe they couldn't think of some better animation for that ability. It's embarrassing.

As far as the view goes, it's basic third person shooter. There's no cover system, which kinda feels a little weird. I was definitely looking around for some cover at the beginning. But no, it's just run and gun. Which is fine, except that the over the shoulder perspective starts to feel very confining, very restrictive. I kept feeling like there was a lot of the screen or... vision that I was missing out on, because of my robotic persona hogging up a lot of the real estate. Again, it goes back to that Unreal Tournament feel of the game. You want max peripheral vision to be able to spot everyone and to look around the map as much as possible. It doesn't help that you're using a somewhat low sensitivity gamepad as opposed to a lightning fast mouse, where you can whip it around to see as much as possible. So the over the shoulder does feel a little claustrophobic at times. Especially when an enemy player moves right into where your onscreen body is. It's very annoying to have that enemy hidden in the body of your giant ass robotic avatar as you're trying to shoot him.

The architecture itself doesn't help with identifying enemies. The rough robotic polygonal look of the map might be pretty accurate to the overall universe, but combined with the rather low lighting of the Conquest map... it's just hard to make people out. Obviously, your own teammates have their blue names over their heads, so that helps, but trying to see enemies among the mechanical contours of the level... it's not the easiest thing in the world. Of course, you'll also have times when you spot two robots in front of you fighting each other. And their names are up above but they're so close that it's no help. And of course, they're both robots so they both look very similar. The Autobot and Decepticon paint schemes aren't quite enough of an indicator. They aren't distinct enough. With the low lighting, it's not nearly enough. I'm not sure if there's any friendly fire in this multiplayer, but I sincerely hope not, because I just let loose on both of them. It's just really hard to tell. Also, there isn't a minimap to help with that. Between the large robot blocking much of your lefthand screen, the darkly lit and mechanical level, and the robots themselves being rather hard to tell apart, perhaps a minimap would've been nice to help with the player's situational awareness.

The Conquest map I was playing on seemed to be 4 on 4. Maybe 5 on 5? Something like that. And that's about right, since it wasn't a large map at all. I am concerned if all the multiplayer maps are gonna be that small though. 4 on 4 is pretty small for multiplayer games these days. Bad Company 2 has something like 18 player games and I hope there are multiplayer modes that can get to something that large. Multiplayer's going to get old very fast if all the maps are just small 4 on 4 affairs like in the demo.

But all in all, I'm impressed. It doesn't feel like another licensed franchise piece of shit. Still not sure if it'll be the Transformers' Arkham Asylum, but it's a good deal of fun.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By delta_ass

Well, just played it. Ummm... it's pretty fun. I'm a fan so far. Probably gonna go buy the full game, unless reviews are really bad. It has a sort of Unreal Tournament-ish feel that I enjoy. Didn't figure out how to transform until the second game, but once I did, the combat became a lot deeper as you press down to transform into the vehicle and zoom around at a good speed. Weapon on the soldier vehicle felt like it was a little weak. Perhaps that's the dynamic they wanted, for the vehicle to be the mode where you can be very mobile and move around the map in good order, and for the actual robot to have more firepower and be the combative form. That sort of dynamic makes a lot of sense to me. Umm, only complaint about the vehicle movement is that there really isn't much strafing or drifting around. It seems very hard to do. So boosting straight ahead is very quick, but you can't navigate around corners that well. I kept bumping into corners and doorways a lot.

So far, only been playing with the Soldier class. My outfit loadout's the Chaingun and Shotgun. Chaingun feels really nice so far. You get some slow shots off at the beginning before it fully revs up to full auto and you start spamming shots everywhere. Definitely my go-to gun so far. Haven't tried out the assault rifle yet so I dunno how that one works. The uh, shotgun doesn't quite seem that great. I mean, it delivers a very powerful shot at close range when you hit, but... it fires really slowly. Also, the thing seems like a double barrelled shotgun, because it seemed to require a lengthy reload after every two shots. That's just way too slow for my tastes. If you're great at aiming and can make those two shots everytime, then I suppose it's a great dueling weapon, but I felt like it was a bit too lacking. Of course, it's also for close range only, so that's another downside.

Haven't really tried melee. There is that whirlwind attack that the Soldier can do, which basically makes you look like an idiot swinging your arms around and around. Didn't get to try it in actual combat, I was just pressing random buttons, but it really looked stupid. I can't believe they couldn't think of some better animation for that ability. It's embarrassing.

As far as the view goes, it's basic third person shooter. There's no cover system, which kinda feels a little weird. I was definitely looking around for some cover at the beginning. But no, it's just run and gun. Which is fine, except that the over the shoulder perspective starts to feel very confining, very restrictive. I kept feeling like there was a lot of the screen or... vision that I was missing out on, because of my robotic persona hogging up a lot of the real estate. Again, it goes back to that Unreal Tournament feel of the game. You want max peripheral vision to be able to spot everyone and to look around the map as much as possible. It doesn't help that you're using a somewhat low sensitivity gamepad as opposed to a lightning fast mouse, where you can whip it around to see as much as possible. So the over the shoulder does feel a little claustrophobic at times. Especially when an enemy player moves right into where your onscreen body is. It's very annoying to have that enemy hidden in the body of your giant ass robotic avatar as you're trying to shoot him.

The architecture itself doesn't help with identifying enemies. The rough robotic polygonal look of the map might be pretty accurate to the overall universe, but combined with the rather low lighting of the Conquest map... it's just hard to make people out. Obviously, your own teammates have their blue names over their heads, so that helps, but trying to see enemies among the mechanical contours of the level... it's not the easiest thing in the world. Of course, you'll also have times when you spot two robots in front of you fighting each other. And their names are up above but they're so close that it's no help. And of course, they're both robots so they both look very similar. The Autobot and Decepticon paint schemes aren't quite enough of an indicator. They aren't distinct enough. With the low lighting, it's not nearly enough. I'm not sure if there's any friendly fire in this multiplayer, but I sincerely hope not, because I just let loose on both of them. It's just really hard to tell. Also, there isn't a minimap to help with that. Between the large robot blocking much of your lefthand screen, the darkly lit and mechanical level, and the robots themselves being rather hard to tell apart, perhaps a minimap would've been nice to help with the player's situational awareness.

The Conquest map I was playing on seemed to be 4 on 4. Maybe 5 on 5? Something like that. And that's about right, since it wasn't a large map at all. I am concerned if all the multiplayer maps are gonna be that small though. 4 on 4 is pretty small for multiplayer games these days. Bad Company 2 has something like 18 player games and I hope there are multiplayer modes that can get to something that large. Multiplayer's going to get old very fast if all the maps are just small 4 on 4 affairs like in the demo.

But all in all, I'm impressed. It doesn't feel like another licensed franchise piece of shit. Still not sure if it'll be the Transformers' Arkham Asylum, but it's a good deal of fun.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

Awesome. I am looking forward to the release of the game, good to hear its turning out alright.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ravensword

I had a hard time killing anyone while playing it. Ill paly it some more, im mainly looking forward to this because of Singleplayer.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ravensword

Honestly, if this game turns out great, all well need is a Great New Sonic game to complete the signs of the Apocalypse. First there was a great Batman game, then there would be a great Transformers game, and then a great new sonic game. After all that happens, the War, Pestilence, famine, and Death will ascend from on high to destroy the earth.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It's kind of fun, though I still feel that it's a bit mediocre. It just isn't fast enough for what it's trying to be, particularly the vehicles. They really aren't that much faster than the robot forms, and the "car" handles like a tank. The "tank" also handles like a tank, though I would assume that that's intentional.

SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SlayingShogun
    @LordXavierBritish: Did you pull LT while in vehicle mode? It boosts you getting you to where you want way faster then when in robot form.
    I thought this game would be crap but its actually quite fun to play I'm definitely thinking about picking this up but I don't feel this is a 60$ title.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @SlayingShogun:  The Scout has the exact same ability, his just lasts for a shorter period of time.
    nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By nywt

After playing the demo, I'm pretty excited about the final game. The multiplayer seems like it would hold my attention for a fair amount of time but I'm still apprehensive about the single player campaign. However, since Walmart is selling it $40 day 1 up here in Canada, I'll most likely pick it up.

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Vash108

Nice to hear people are actually enjoying it. I just wish there was a PC demo.

Sway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sway

I think the game is absolutely amazing. Hopefully it gets the community it deserves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.