Goozex Fun!

Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

So I've been playing around with Goozex.com. If you haven't heard of it, it's a trading site where Goozex is the Middle Man, so that trades are officiated by the system. You trade a game in and earn Points and a single Trade Token (Points differ by product based on several factors, like rarity, whether it's a complete set, how much it's requested, etc.). 

You can then spend those points (and 1 trade token) to buy games (or movies). If a game isn't available, you can request it. If the game is available, that means that someone has put it on offer. The system then matches the game up with someone who has requested that game, and you send it in the mail. When the person who requested that game gets their package, they mark that they received it on the site and you are given Points and a trade token. You can also PURCHASE Points and Tokens with cash, where 1 Trade Token costs a $1. So essentially you are getting games for free based on your trades and the point value of the game. 

It's an interesting system that allows you to trade new and old games for "new-to-me" second hand games at a much more valuable rate than what you are given from typical brick-and-mortar stores like GameStop, which rip you off by giving you very little in store credit for games that are in reality worth more than that (it's also worth noting that Goozex will fully refund you if you are somehow ripped off and don't receive the exact package you requested). 

For the price of 1 new DS game that I didn't want, I am now able to purchase SEVERAL games I do want, both new and old! And Goozex has games listed for ANY AND ALL game systems. Although some can be pricey and some rare titles are hardly ever offered, so the site isn't a catchall for people wanting to get every game they want.  But while new games like Darksiders cost 1000 Points (or essentially the equivalent of $50/60 bucks), you can find PLENTY of great games for super cheap, like I list below.

Goozex is the opposite of GameTZ, another trading site. On GameTZ you actually trade and negotiate, no strings attached, with a person. You then come to an agreement, and the site tracks their feedback and the like. The more trades with positive feedback they have made, the better their Star rating will be. Goozex is "safer" and they will completely refund you if there was a bum trade, while GameTZ offers more flexibility but everything is on you. GameTZ can be better for rare games, or for offering mixed trading, like I traded a guy a DVD movie I didn't want, and he sent me 5 CDs that didn't want. Everybody wins. And both sites are worth looking into.   

If you trade newly released games on Goozex, you often get bonus points. So I was able to trade WarioWare DIY, a game that is normally worth 700 points, but since it was new I got 950 Points! Which is enough to purchase several small games, as you'll see in the list below, as long as I have enough trade tokens (I only have one so I'll likely purchase 5 for $5). Or for 50 points more I could get a new game like Darksiders. Goozex also offers games for purchase, if you just want to spend cash to buy certain new products.

So today I was browsing what games I might want on Goozex. And I wrote them down. Here is the list I came up with (all are complete unless states otherwise): 

1000 Points
Darkstalkers (Xbox 360)

400 Points
The Saboteur (Xbox 360)

350 Points

Ghostbusters: The Video Game (360)
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii)
Brutal Legend (Xbox 360)

300 Points
Damnation (Xbox 360, FPS)

250 Points
Devil Dice (PS1) - disc only
Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

200 Points

Viking: Battle for Asgard (Xbox 360)
Army of Two (Xbox 360)
Rondo of Swords (DS)
The Suffering (Xbox)

150 Points
Call of Duty 2 (Xbox 360)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Limited Collector's Edition) - not available
Crackdown (Xbox 360)
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (Xbox)
Mario's Time Machine (SNES) - Cart only
Donkey Kong 64 - Cart Only

100 Points
Dead or Alive Ultimate (Xbox)
Splinter Cell (Xbox)
Hey You, Pikachu (cart only)
Batman (NES+Manual!)

Of the list, I chose Trauma Center: Second Opinion on Wii. As soon as I get paid I'm gonna buy more points and snap up that Batman (NES) with manual. Once you request a game, the person who has Offered it can reject your trade, a which point the system will search for another person who has offered the game. 

If you haven't checked the sites out look into them! They offer a lot of bang for your buck for gamers and it's fun to trade! Goozex also currently has a deal with GameFly going (an online rental service, essentially Netflix for games) where you can sign up for GameFly through Goozex and gain some additional points and trade tokens.

#1 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

So I've been playing around with Goozex.com. If you haven't heard of it, it's a trading site where Goozex is the Middle Man, so that trades are officiated by the system. You trade a game in and earn Points and a single Trade Token (Points differ by product based on several factors, like rarity, whether it's a complete set, how much it's requested, etc.). 

You can then spend those points (and 1 trade token) to buy games (or movies). If a game isn't available, you can request it. If the game is available, that means that someone has put it on offer. The system then matches the game up with someone who has requested that game, and you send it in the mail. When the person who requested that game gets their package, they mark that they received it on the site and you are given Points and a trade token. You can also PURCHASE Points and Tokens with cash, where 1 Trade Token costs a $1. So essentially you are getting games for free based on your trades and the point value of the game. 

It's an interesting system that allows you to trade new and old games for "new-to-me" second hand games at a much more valuable rate than what you are given from typical brick-and-mortar stores like GameStop, which rip you off by giving you very little in store credit for games that are in reality worth more than that (it's also worth noting that Goozex will fully refund you if you are somehow ripped off and don't receive the exact package you requested). 

For the price of 1 new DS game that I didn't want, I am now able to purchase SEVERAL games I do want, both new and old! And Goozex has games listed for ANY AND ALL game systems. Although some can be pricey and some rare titles are hardly ever offered, so the site isn't a catchall for people wanting to get every game they want.  But while new games like Darksiders cost 1000 Points (or essentially the equivalent of $50/60 bucks), you can find PLENTY of great games for super cheap, like I list below.

Goozex is the opposite of GameTZ, another trading site. On GameTZ you actually trade and negotiate, no strings attached, with a person. You then come to an agreement, and the site tracks their feedback and the like. The more trades with positive feedback they have made, the better their Star rating will be. Goozex is "safer" and they will completely refund you if there was a bum trade, while GameTZ offers more flexibility but everything is on you. GameTZ can be better for rare games, or for offering mixed trading, like I traded a guy a DVD movie I didn't want, and he sent me 5 CDs that didn't want. Everybody wins. And both sites are worth looking into.   

If you trade newly released games on Goozex, you often get bonus points. So I was able to trade WarioWare DIY, a game that is normally worth 700 points, but since it was new I got 950 Points! Which is enough to purchase several small games, as you'll see in the list below, as long as I have enough trade tokens (I only have one so I'll likely purchase 5 for $5). Or for 50 points more I could get a new game like Darksiders. Goozex also offers games for purchase, if you just want to spend cash to buy certain new products.

So today I was browsing what games I might want on Goozex. And I wrote them down. Here is the list I came up with (all are complete unless states otherwise): 

1000 Points
Darkstalkers (Xbox 360)

400 Points
The Saboteur (Xbox 360)

350 Points

Ghostbusters: The Video Game (360)
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii)
Brutal Legend (Xbox 360)

300 Points
Damnation (Xbox 360, FPS)

250 Points
Devil Dice (PS1) - disc only
Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

200 Points

Viking: Battle for Asgard (Xbox 360)
Army of Two (Xbox 360)
Rondo of Swords (DS)
The Suffering (Xbox)

150 Points
Call of Duty 2 (Xbox 360)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Limited Collector's Edition) - not available
Crackdown (Xbox 360)
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (Xbox)
Mario's Time Machine (SNES) - Cart only
Donkey Kong 64 - Cart Only

100 Points
Dead or Alive Ultimate (Xbox)
Splinter Cell (Xbox)
Hey You, Pikachu (cart only)
Batman (NES+Manual!)

Of the list, I chose Trauma Center: Second Opinion on Wii. As soon as I get paid I'm gonna buy more points and snap up that Batman (NES) with manual. Once you request a game, the person who has Offered it can reject your trade, a which point the system will search for another person who has offered the game. 

If you haven't checked the sites out look into them! They offer a lot of bang for your buck for gamers and it's fun to trade! Goozex also currently has a deal with GameFly going (an online rental service, essentially Netflix for games) where you can sign up for GameFly through Goozex and gain some additional points and trade tokens.

#2 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Hrm, advertising. Have fun being thrown to the void.

#3 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

Not quite sure what you are referring to or speaking of. But okay. :P 

Thanks for the comment.

#4 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

If you have limited funds, it's a viable alternative to renting or gamefly. I tried it back when I was in University, and it was alright at the time.

#5 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@Fbomb:  Ah cool. Thanks for the comment. Personally I'm not one who rents games cause I like to own them. Rather than renting I'll borrow from friends. Just a weird thing with me. Although I've loosened up some this generation. Like for the first time I actually beat a new game that my brother borrowed from a friend (Dante's Inferno) without having yet bought it myself. And I worked to get all the Achievements there. 

I think the reason I don't rent is because my game collection means a lot to me, and I'm constantly looking to grow it (400+ and counting). And I can't do that by renting. I've always been that way since like post N64 generation (I used to rent from Blockbuster as a kid). And especially now that I make money myself, I like to just buy it myself.

I'm also a big stickler for supporting what you believe in or get the most fun out of. So for example I will always purchase (often pre-order) albums from my favorite bands. I'll even often buy two copies just to support the band further. And the same rings true with games. If buying from GameStop I'll often purchase new rather than used so that the company gets the money that made the game and not GameStop. Although I also like to have my products in good condition and complete, which encourages me to buy new. Although in recent times I do buy used a lot as well, just to help grow my collection and get games for cheap. 
#6 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

I absolutely love Goozex.

#7 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I got Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for the Dreamcast by using Goozex's promo things a long while back. Its pretty sweet, but I dunno if I'd continue using it.

#8 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@Emilio:  Wow that's really cool! My friend Lillian has gotten several games herself from it. I've yet to get any games from it but hopefully Trauma Center: Second Opinion will be my first and I'll continue to get more. Like I said in my blog I'm gonna buy more trade tokens and try to get a bunch of the games on my list. 

@StarFoxA:
Yeah! What's not to love? lol.
#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

I don't use it as I don't live in the U.S.  Here (Quebec), shipping is expensive—about 6-8$ for a game—so using Goozex would be moderately pricey.  I did sign up for it when they were still handing out the free 100 points before.  Got Amped (Xbox version) for free—that was cool...

#10 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:  Aw man that really sucks about the high shipping for you guys. :( But at least you did get a good game for it.
#11 Posted by thatfootballguy (1 posts) -

Good review. However, I don't share as much optimism as you do towards Goozex. I find Goozex to be frustrating when it comes to requesting wanted games. What you said about "rare" games is true, but I would say the same goes for new releases such as Red Dead Redemption. Even if you were the first or second person to request the game (in the queue list), you would more than likely not catch a chance to receive the game until at least a month later. Traders on Goozex pray for people like you that trade in a new copy of Warioware (Or any other new release title) because it rarely happens :)

Also, Goozex runs promotions that sell credits for a discounted price at least once a year - inflating the points currency (a definite negative for those who were saving up pre-inflation).    I still feel safer and more free with GameTZ, but I definitely have a bias towards what I use. Starting out a young newbie on GameTZ until you reach the point of a bronze star reputation can be risky, but in my mind worth the investment tenfold over Goozex from that point on.

#12 Posted by shwinster (1 posts) -

I've been a Goozex user since '07 and love it!  It's true that it can take a while to get certain games on the site but the key is patience.  Eventually you'll be getting games faster than you can play them and will build up a backlog of titles just sitting in your collection waiting for a play through.  I'd also like to point out that you do not get a trade token when you trade in a game.  You have to purchase these at $1 a token.  This is the only way (other than purchased points) the site makes money since points are acquired through trading and shipping is paid to the postal service.  Well enjoy Goozex and keep gaming!

#13 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@thatfootballguy: 

Wow very interesting! Thanks for the comment!

I think maybe the key to getting games with Goozex is to stick with games that are always available? We'll see if I get the ones on my list, if so then I think it's pretty good. 

But I rarely buy new games and I mostly use these sites to build up my collection on games I missed out on and such. But if new games ARE rarely traded in, then that might be a bonus for me and a way to quickly build up points. I'll keep that in mind about GameTZ though. I definitely think GameTZ may ultimately be the better deal because the terms are completely decided by you, and you can trade anything you want.
#14 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@shwinster:  

Thanks for the comment shwinster! Glad to hear that you have a positive outlook on Goozex. I welcome all viewpoints! Ah okay I didn't know you had to purchase trade tokens each time. Thanks for the tip!

I already have more than enough games and not enough time to play them, and I will almost exclusively be trading for older games, like a lot of the 2008 hits that I missed out on (way too many to name, from Ninja Gaiden 2 to Bioshock to Assassin's Creed) so I don't think time or "patience" will be a problem at all for me. 

We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll update with another blog once I've gotten several games from Goozex. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.