Underappreciated!?

#1 Edited by BigDo6 (166 posts) -

When Trespasser came out it was Über buggy and far from finished but I found it immensely appealing. For a few reasons - 

1. Being alone on the island from the very beginning of the game (at least as far as I remember) gave me a overwhelming sense of isolation.
2. The controls were so awful/unworkable that fighting a dinosaur regardless of size or lethality, was absolutely terrifying.
3. The physics though broken to the point of having to actively avoid flying furniture and doors to survive, were still mostly new to the gaming industry.

So was Trespasser objectively great or even good? No, but it was fun and I enjoyed it. Anyone else?

#2 Posted by Dib9394 (57 posts) -

I think the game actually looks good! Might buy on the internet.

#3 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Hm, never heard of it

#4 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

Trespasser was pretty sweet. I recently started playing it, and it's not too bad. It's kinda S.T.A.L.K.E.R style if you know what i mean (good base under it's feet, cut features, buggy). I read how they were Rushed and went over budget twice while making this game, which is not suprising seeing how many technological revolutions this game was pushing for. Had they been given a bigger budget, and about 6-12 months more development time, this game would probably be an all-time classic nowadays.

Putting into a tiny post how much it tried to do:

World Completely run by Physics, Dynamic A.I for the Dinosaurs(was later scrapped cause the Emotion system they tried implementing wasn't working), a unique Sounds system which would create a sound based on a huge bunch of factors including how fast something is hit against something else and how much the object weighs and of course the objects Material itself, Creating a huge world by making distant objects 2D sprites while getting closer to them would render them in Full 3D (later used by games like Far Cry and Shadow Of the Colossus), The Animation System worked through the A.I system and wasn't limited to pre-rendered Animations (the end result made the dinosaurs spin their necks through their body and all kinda other things like that, not the result they wanted).

This was basically Crysis back in 98', it could've been better, but what it did pull off was extremely impressive for the standards back then, even now alot of games can't attempt to do what Dreamworks did for Trespasser.

#5 Posted by Xeno (130 posts) -

It was definitely not a great game, but it pioneered many innovations that many games use today.

#6 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

That's a good comparison L33tfella_H.  The game is horrible to be honest, but if it wasn't rushed and had the polish it needed, it could have been great.  Definitely ahead of its time with ideas.

#7 Edited by TheWesman (378 posts) -

I actually enjoyed it.  I love all things dinosaur related, so seeing this game where there was actual behavior, not just running straight at you and trying to  kill you all the time, really impressed me.

A few other unique things in this:

1.  Total control of your arm.  Not just holding a gun, but aiming it, and using the environment to solve puzzles.

2.  After a dino killed you, you got to listen to and watch it eat you until you reload the thing.  It's gross, but a cool addition to the game.

3.  Checking your girl's boobs was how you judged your health.  This should be in EVERY game.

#8 Posted by jacck (1 posts) -

Yeeeeahhh!!! I've  just play it again... is soo neat to be alone in that abbandoned island. I wish there would be a reamake whith an even bigger island and even more freedom, with a bunch of creepy detalis on this abbandoned the place, and definitly better controls.

#9 Edited by Jico (15 posts) -
@BigDo6 said:
" When Trespasser came out it was Über buggy and far from finished but I found it immensely appealing. For a few reasons - 

1. Being alone on the island from the very beginning of the game (at least as far as I remember) gave me a overwhelming sense of isolation.
2. The controls were so awful/unworkable that fighting a dinosaur regardless of size or lethality, was absolutely terrifying.
3. The physics though broken to the point of having to actively avoid flying furniture and doors to survive, were still mostly new to the gaming industry.

So was Trespasser objectively great or even good? No, but it was fun and I enjoyed it. Anyone else? "

I did!  And I still do.  I install the game every so often and run through it, for nostalgia.  As broken as parts of the game are, I still always have fun with it. 

I would be immensely pleased to see a developer attempt to create, with modern technology, what Tresspasser was initially shooting for.  Imagine!  A living, breathing ecosystem, populated by creatures that manage a number of different physical needs.  Instead of running through a spaceship with monster closets, you basically get a tour of Jurassic park!  Personally, I can't think of a game announcement that would please me more.
#10 Posted by Hairydutchman (1040 posts) -

This game needs to be remade.

#11 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

Was definitely a huge innovator in its day. It played like ass though. 

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Trespasser/

Will save you from playing it and offer a massive amount of insight into the game, I don't usually like LPs but this one has top rate production values and is genuinely informative about a game not many people would have experience.

Also we need to keep this game in the active forums list for as long as possible.

#12 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

It would have been better for me had the game actually run better, I had a nice rig when that game came out and the stuttering was sometimes too much to bear.  But the game, being just one huge island to explore was sweet.  And I felt great the first time I survived an encounter with a velociraptor.
A remake would be pretty sweet.  But man, i remember spending so much time trying to stack something to get up to a roof and then having it crumble under me.  And not just that, messing up and having a flying 2x4 kill me.
Remake!

#13 Posted by Evilsbane (4748 posts) -
@evanbrau: Thanks for the LP link this guy is great, I feel like I am learning about the game! And his dry humor is top notch. Integrating video and syncing up his actions with speech. Very nicely done.
#14 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

Game's a piece of shit.

#15 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -

trespasser was the first game to use ragdoll physics

#16 Posted by Dekadin (9 posts) -

Trespasser needs a remake or reboot. I remember the part where you have to go through the town and get to that building with the key card in it. Talk about atmosphere! That was sooo creepy lol.

#17 Posted by pretender15 (192 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:
" That's a good comparison L33tfella_H.  The game is horrible to be honest, but if it wasn't rushed and had the polish it needed, it could have been great.  Definitely ahead of its time with ideas. "
This.
#18 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
@pretender15 said:
" @Origina1Penguin said:
" That's a good comparison L33tfella_H.  The game is horrible to be honest, but if it wasn't rushed and had the polish it needed, it could have been great.  Definitely ahead of its time with ideas. "
This. "
Didn't they work on that game for like 5 years? Unpolished yes, rushed no.
#19 Posted by pretender15 (192 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @Origina1Penguin said:
This. "
Didn't they work on that game for like 5 years? Unpolished yes, rushed no. "
They clearly didn't get much done in 5 years...
#20 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -

Even though it was a buggy mess It had a lot of firsts for games. People who plan to make games should play tresspasser but people who only play games should skip it.

#21 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -
@pretender15:
It had some drastic changes made late in the development cycle and was then rushed by the publisher.
#22 Posted by demonbear (1877 posts) -

This game was ahead of its time on many levels. I'd be really curious to play a modern version of this, done with the Crysis engine for example. That'd be fantastic.

#23 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

Yep, like other people have said here, Trespasser was incredibly ahead of its time and some bugs and rushed decisions resulted in it getting poor reviews.

A lot of people thought this was "Jurassic Park: The First Person Shooter" when it's actually far from that. It's almost like a first-person puzzle/action/platformer.

Great game, have a lot of great memories.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.