Any suggestions for podcasts to listen to while I'm playing?

#1 Edited by ReddenBlack (124 posts) -

I just can't take the raps anymore...

some 'casts I like:

Slate's gabfests

bombcast

nerdist

pop culture/sports/politics

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

My Brother, My Brother and Me.

#3 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -
#4 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

If you like comedy, then WTF with Marc Maron is great. It's not funny, but the comedians' stories are always interesting.

If you like history, then Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is great. The guy sounds like Richard Dreyfuss and the podcasts tend to be really long.

Other than the Bombcast, those are really all that I listen to. I'd also recommend that you listen to audiobooks.

#5 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

GFW radio.

Although trials isn't really a good podcast game, I just turned the music off and replaced it with my own.

#6 Posted by SerHulse (688 posts) -
#7 Posted by BeachThunder (12411 posts) -
#8 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

The Comedy Button is pretty funny if your into it.

#9 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

This is the one, right here. Why would you ever need anything else?

#10 Edited by LTSmash (659 posts) -

I'll second GFW Radio and The Comedy Button and add How Did This Get Made?, a great bad movie review show hosted by Paul Scheer.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-made/

#11 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

I also listen to the almighty Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Review Podcast from BBC Radio 5 Live

And hello to Jason Isaacs.

I also second that suggestion. Best movie podcast out there. Not to mention highly entertaining. If you like the podcast I suggest you get your hands on his Audio version of his two books. Normally I'd go read them but with Kermode doing the reading you get a performance.

PS: Here's also the iTunes link.

#12 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2174 posts) -

If you're into sports then you should check out the B.S. Report with Bill Simmons. For more nerdy stuff I would suggest Laser Time. Radio Lab and This American Life are always good too.

#13 Posted by mrcraggle (1979 posts) -

@SerHulse: @BulletproofMonk: Some good podcast recommendations right here.

#14 Posted by BRich (440 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

This is the one, right here. Why would you ever need anything else?

Yes, the right answer is here.

#15 Posted by believer258 (12186 posts) -

You can play your own music instead of the game's.

#16 Posted by Seb (365 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

+1

#17 Posted by MrJorOwe (282 posts) -

Talkin' Shit with Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft, if you are in to comedy, listen from first episode if you are going to though. Pretty damn funny

#18 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I think I've actually never played Trials Evo with sound yet, but have put probably 15 hours into it already. I just always have movies on or something in the background.

But when I don't I find myself listening to This is Only a Test, Retronauts, Games, Dammit!, and the CAG-cast. Though I hesitate with the CAG-cast cause Cheapy D keeps belching into the mic like an asshole. Seriously, anyone who does that needs to get shot, people use headphones, and don't want belches driven directly into their brain.

#19 Posted by efman (212 posts) -

SModcast for me. I had never heard of the "My Brother, My Brother and Me" podcast. Anyone care to provide an elevator's pitch about the gist of it so I know what I'm getting into? Is it an advicecast wherein people send emails about issues and the like? Man, I've gotten to the point where I can't keep up with the volume of podcasts I listen to -- too many.

#20 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -

My Brother, My Brother and Me. Easily.

Also, Weekend Confirmed is pretty great. And if you like some really old stuff, RadiOPM and GFW Radio are worth listening to.

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Weird Stuff podcast over at Weirdstuff.com Brian Brushwood, Justin Robert Young and Andrew Mayne talk all things bizarre in the news. Great stuff.

#22 Posted by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

First and best answer.

#23 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

@ReddenBlack said:

some 'casts I like:

Slate's gabfests

bombcast

nerdist

pop culture/sports/politics

I listen to like 50 different podcasts, but based on these I'm gonna reccomend LaserTime: It's a loud, funny tangent show like the Bombcast, but instead of just games it's all goofy nerd shit.

And try scrolling down Geek A Week til you see a name you like, and click on it. It's an extended interview with that person.

#24 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

My Brother My Brother and Me, Besties, Old Carolla era Loveline.

#25 Posted by ReddenBlack (124 posts) -

Thanks for all the suggestions, Looks like I'll try my brother my brother and me and laser time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.