Hey, do you like math?

#1 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3651 posts) -

My mind feels broken.

When they said that we'll all have access to the same tools that they used to create the game's official levels, they weren't kidding. Keep in mind that this is lesson 29 out of 33, and most of the track building lessons were very simple and easy to understand, and these are pretty much the most advanced--thankfully optional--features of the advanced version of the editor. Never the less... Wow.

I'm just glad to know that others will do amazing things with this tool set, and I'll just be able to download and enjoy their work.

#2 Posted by Patman99 (1578 posts) -

Wow, that seems like it gives a crazy amount of freedom. I expect a total recreation of a dungeon from Legend of Zelda like I saw in LBP2 and then my life will be complete. I want to play real games recreated on other games.

I want the Inception of games.

#3 Posted by Moth_Pope (454 posts) -

... s. Maths.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

Nope.

#5 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Man, there is a lot going on there. I can't wait to see what madness the community will create with these tools.

#6 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Math and I are fine until I'm forced to deal with proofs. That's when the double middle fingers come out.

#7 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

Wow, that seems like it gives a crazy amount of freedom. I expect a total recreation of a dungeon from Legend of Zelda like I saw in LBP2 and then my life will be complete. I want to play real games recreated on other games.

I want the Inception of games.

The stuff that came from LBP2 completely blew my mind.

Picking up Trials EVO soon against my better judgement, i am not the best at video games and from what i hear this game can get and does get extremely frustrating, i wanted to throw my controller out of a window when i was playing Super Meat Boy.

#8 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3651 posts) -

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

This is a British thing, isn't it?

#9 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@Patman99: I expect both Level 1-1 and a giant Penis within the week.

@SpaceInsomniac: yes, "Maths" is BrE and "Math" is AmE

#10 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3651 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

@Patman99: I expect both Level 1-1 and a giant Penis within the week.

Perhaps even in the same track.

#11 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

I got a minute in before I realized my brain was bleeding.... so I stopped watching.

#12 Posted by StrainedEyes (1323 posts) -

I tried out an FPS level and a top-down-shooter level, both worked much better than you would think they should. The FPS works way better than any I tried in LittleBigPlanet, you can actually aim down the sights.

#13 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4704 posts) -

Do you mean maths? As in "mathematics"?

#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

No. Unless Americans call it mathematic instead of mathematics.

#15 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Yeah, that's basically how you program a game, but using menus instead of C.

#16 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Came for a cool video, stayed because the English never cease to be obnoxious.

#17 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10895 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

HOW DOES MATHEMATICS SHORTEN TO "MATHS"? That's the DUMBEST THING EVER! Why, when shortening something, would you take the "ematic" out of "mathematics," but leave the s? Why not just take the whole thing off the end?

@artgarcrunkle said:

Came for a cool video, stayed because the English never cease to be obnoxious.

Yes. I almost forgot to comment on the craziness of the level editor in the game. This is way worse than unnecessary "u"s and "aluminium."

#18 Posted by Getz (2996 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

Blah blah, Brits prounounce "Goethe" wrong so let's just call it a draw.

#19 Posted by the_red_mage (146 posts) -

Guys look at the friggin editor LOOK AT IT!!!

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I misread the title as:

Hey, do you like meth?

Nevermind.

#21 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

This is way worse than unnecessary "u"s and "aluminium."

Ha, have Americans ever counted the U's in that word?

Pathetic slagging matches in this topic aside, if this game stays well supported there's going to be a few folks who are going to create some ridiculous things with that editor. I don't have the patience to learn all the neat stuff but I sure as hell can't wait to see what others can do.

#22 Posted by Getz (2996 posts) -

POLYSTYRENE YOU GUYS

#23 Posted by coaxmetal (1605 posts) -

I love meth!

#24 Posted by EliminatoR (237 posts) -

No.

#25 Posted by Creamypies (4060 posts) -

Holy shit, these tools are insane!

#26 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -
@Creamypies said:

Holy shit, these tools are insane!

Yeah I know, the English can get quite bad can't they.
#27 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Man, people who speak English need to learn to not argue with hillbillies speaking Merricun...

trollface.png

#28 Posted by Mijati (909 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@AlexW00d said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

HOW DOES MATHEMATICS SHORTEN TO "MATHS"? That's the DUMBEST THING EVER! Why, when shortening something, would you take the "ematic" out of "mathematics," but leave the s? Why not just take the whole thing off the end?

Statistics -> Stats. Explain that.

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10895 posts) -

@DarkDude said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@AlexW00d said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

Statistics -> Stats. Explain that.

Stat already is a word on its own. "Get on that, stat!" It's also short for thermostat, apparently. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stat?s=t

#30 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3651 posts) -

If this was GiantBomb.eu, then it would be Maths. Being that this is giantbomb.com, Math is correct.

And torch is a way better name for a flashlight, especially seeing as flashlight's typically don't flash. I'll give you that one.

So how about that crazy editor, eh?

#31 Posted by bkbroiler (1621 posts) -

This just in guys - THE WAY PEOPLE TALK SOMETIMES MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.

#32 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

@ashleychittock said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Pathetic slagging matches in this topic aside, if this game stays well supported there's going to be a few folks who are going to create some ridiculous things with that editor. I don't have the patience to learn all the neat stuff but I sure as hell can't wait to see what others can do.

Aluminum, or aluminium used to be called alumium, then it was changed to aluminum and then finally to aluminium, but by then the Americans were like "fuck that, you only get to change it's name once." And that's the story behind that.

#33 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10895 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@ashleychittock said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Aluminum, or aluminium used to be called alumium, then it was changed to aluminum and then finally to aluminium, but by then the Americans were life "fuck that, you only get to change it's name once." And that's the story behind that.

A-HA! AMERICA!

#34 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

I hate math & due to my love of certain prime numbers (mostly 13 & 31), it hates me.

#35 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -

Well, that looks like programming physics alright.

Minus the whole building the engine thing. And the coding. And, well, all of it. Still, for a game to have this shit up front in an editor is pretty cool.

#36 Posted by Tan (425 posts) -

Now we wait for Vinny's law!

C'mon Internet!

#37 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Well, that looks like programming physics alright.

Minus the whole building the engine thing. And the coding. And, well, all of it. Still, for a game to have this shit up front in an editor is pretty cool.

Very cool indeed.

#38 Posted by slowbird (1686 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

Your version of English doesn't make sense, why should ours?

#39 Edited by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -
@Getz said:

@AlexW00d said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Moth_Pope said:

... s. Maths.

Blah blah, Brits prounounce "Goethe" wrong so let's just call it a draw.

Oh please, let that German sourpuss stay out of this! From our German teacher we had to read at least three books of his extensive repertoire. I respect the man's productivity and his contributions to literature and science, but man, it was a hard read! Both in bulk and content.
#40 Posted by WalkerD (462 posts) -

This crazy deep editor, the insane riddle stuff, I like these RedLynx guys.

#41 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

The thing is I say math, because when I say math I am referring to a singular type of math, one could say all maths suck. Not All mathss suck. <-- see?

Why the fuck do you pretentious ass wholes have to speak on the subject of all types of maths at the same time all the time, just talk about one type of math.

#42 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

"My country is the best! You all are inferior to us! You can't even pronounce words properly." ...

#43 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@ashleychittock said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Aluminum, or aluminium used to be called alumium, then it was changed to aluminum and then finally to aluminium, but by then the Americans were life "fuck that, you only get to change it's name once." And that's the story behind that.

A-HA! AMERICA!

I can't be bothered to verify this is true, so slap a star on my arse (YES ARSE) and consider me America'd.

#44 Posted by geirr (2527 posts) -

Math is awesome!

#45 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2043 posts) -

Judging anything by S.P.H.E.R.E I hope I really get the Super Monkey 2 fix I haven't had

#46 Posted by thomascaret (12 posts) -

I don't mean to be rude, but this is an editor, if you look at any game engine SDK this is what you get, if in a more fashionable format.

Doesn't it say something bad that console gamers are used to less? Frankly the most fun I ever had on my Xbox was making levels for Far Cry: Instincts - Predator.

Also I don't think this isn't very "mathy" and instead just basic logic programming, which is really math without the work.

#47 Posted by the_red_mage (146 posts) -

Damn giantbomb is apparently full of English teachers.

#48 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

Look what you guys made me go do .... I Googled this silly math vs. maths.

One could argue maths is better because mathematics ends in s, and one could argue math is better because mathematics is just a mass noun that happens to end in s. In any case, English is often illogical, and these usage idiosyncrasies are often arbitrary. If you were raised in a part of the world where people say maths, then maths is correct for you, and the same is of course true of math. Don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Oh yeah, uh, cool editor?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.