So About That Opening Rap...

#1 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

It's totally cutting up the Saints Row The Third theme, right? Like, that open-source song that everybody likes so much? Here is the Saints theme, for reference. It's called "Bad, Bad Man" and it's from some version of Teen Cribz.

Here's the Trials rap, or a verse of it. I swear, it sounds like they're cutting up the same synth bit...

#2 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -

Maybe they used the same program that has the same loops and stuff.

#3 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I knew it sounded familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it until now, nice catch.

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5708 posts) -

I think that beat is just royalty free, anybody can use it. I'm also pretty sure the GB dudes mentionned it on the podcast.

#5 Posted by HatKing (5947 posts) -

It is really damn similar.

#6 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1329 posts) -

I saw the saints row Crib/Garage music played on ESPN a while back so I would not be surprised if these beats get around.

#7 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

royalty-free producers must get hella cake

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9705 posts) -

It sounds similar but the melody is different.

#9 Posted by chilibean_3 (1640 posts) -

That rap is pretty silly. It pretty much tells you exactly what your in for before the menu even comes up. Fantastic.

#10 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Sounds like Brandon DiCamillo rapping, would make sense because him and Rake Yohn did like the majority of the voice work since Trials 2 Second Edition. Don't really hear the Saints Row melody though.

#11 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

I was about to say that having opening rap music in your game is a bit silly, then I remembered that Saint's Row is just trying as hard as it can to beat out GTA at its own game. Too bad the GTA IV beat blows it away.  

#12 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

The beats sound pretty generic so as to find them confusingly similar, but I think they're subtly different.

#13 Posted by Commisar123 (1792 posts) -

I think so anyway, though it is certainly a cut up version

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Need more Saint's Row up in my Trials. I'm looking at you, Next Saints Game (Which will be named S4int's Row).

#15 Posted by EuanDewar (4919 posts) -

For some reason the voice reminds me of Brandon DiCamillo in this video. They don't even sound that similar but I can't help but hear it.

#16 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

I was about to say that having opening rap music in your game is a bit silly, then I remembered that Saint's Row is just trying as hard as it can to beat out GTA at its own game. Too bad the GTA IV beat blows it away.

That music is so good. I don't even like GTA4 that much, still makes me feel nostalgic.

#17 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

That music is amazing.

It has that Rockstar quality and vibe all over it.

#18 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -
@BPRJCTX said:

That music is amazing.

No doubt, Rockstar just seem to be in a class all their own. 
#19 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

For some reason the voice reminds me of Brandon DiCamillo in this video. They don't even sound that similar but I can't help but hear it.

That's because it is Brandon DiCamillo. Art Webb, Rake Yohn and him have done all the voice work for the last three Trials games.

#20 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I knew as soon as I booted this up and heard that rap that this game was going to be the bomb.

#21 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@BPRJCTX said:

That music is amazing.

No doubt, Rockstar just seem to be in a class all their own.

Yeah man, nobody does it like Rockstar.

It's one of the very few Developers, that i can safely say, i will buy anything they put out.

It's like everytime they release a game, it becomes one of the best games i've ever played.

In my opinion, Rockstar can do no wrong.

#22 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I knew as soon as I booted this up and heard that rap that this game was going to be the bomb.

So true, i was really fucking pumped already, whille it was downloading, when it it finished, and i got to load up the game, and the first thing i hear is that rap?!

Man, i just had to let it all out, i fucking jumped off my bed and screamed "HELL YEAH, It's TRIALS TIME BABY!!!"

Game of the Year.

#23 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -
@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Sounds like Brandon DiCamillo rapping, would make sense because him and Rake Yohn did like the majority of the voice work since Trials 2 Second Edition. Don't really hear the Saints Row melody though.

This is Correct, I found it awesome that you could change the voice for your player between Rake Yohn(Ted Webb) and Art Webb. In the credits it says Brandon DiCamillo wrote the voice scripts or some shit

Rake also did an intro to Trials 1 where he said something like 'ain't havin no mustard on my bike' If you've watched the CKY movies you'd know Rake Yohn hates mustard.

First Guy in the video is Brandon DiCamillo
#24 Posted by Bollard (5546 posts) -

Er I swear the rap that plays at the beginning of my game is different?

It doesn't have the whiny ass voice at the start, and it fades out when the games logo appears while the dude is still mid line about something, and I was hoping to find the full length version somewhere.

#25 Posted by WalkerD (462 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: The rap changes every time you start the game. I think there are about four or five of them. They're all really similar.

#26 Posted by Bollard (5546 posts) -

@WalkerD said:

@Chavtheworld: The rap changes every time you start the game. I think there are about four or five of them. They're all really similar.

Awesome I'm not going crazy!

#27 Posted by jaycrockett (451 posts) -

Is there a way to play them after the opening? I'd love to hear them all together.

#28 Edited by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

Trials Rap is superior... actually its the best rap i've ever heard... ever

#29 Posted by Milkman (16787 posts) -

When I first started the game up and that rap started playing, I almost deleted the game from my hard drive and never played it again. But, luckily, the game is awesome and I'm glad I didn't. But dude...that rap...

#30 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@Milkman said:
When I first started the game up and that rap started playing, I almost deleted the game from my hard drive and never played it again. But, luckily, the game is awesome and I'm glad I didn't. But dude...that rap...
... is amazing
#31 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@ComradeKhan said:

@Milkman said:
... is amazing

Yeah, it's pretty fuckin' awesome.

And i hate Hip Hop, and most Rap music.

#32 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

I LIKE TRIALS SOMETHIN SOMETHIN SOMETHIN MONDAY NITRO

I love that song but obviously remember very few of the words.

#33 Posted by LobsterVendetta (116 posts) -

What is this "Monday Nitro" the Trials rap is referencing anyways? We aren't talking WCW are we?

#34 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

@LobsterVendetta: You better god damn believe it. Don't let them there rappers know that Nitro ceased to exist a decade ago, It'd crush them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.