Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tribes Ascend

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 12, 2012

Tribes: Ascend is a fast-paced free-to-play FPS developed by Hi-Rez Studios for the PC. With a focus on projectile weapons, high speed and jet packs, Tribes: Ascend offers unique acrobatic aerial combat with intense class based teamwork.

Don't Expect Tribes: Ascend for Xbox Live Arcade Anytime Soon

• 53 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    It's not that Tribes: Ascend won't come to Xbox Live Arcade ever, it's just not happening soon.
    It's not that Tribes: Ascend won't come to Xbox Live Arcade ever, it's just not happening soon.

When Global Agenda developer Hi-Rez announced its Tribes reboot, Tribes: Ascend, it was coming to both PC and Xbox Live Arcade sometime this year. Though a console version could still happen, GameSpot UK's reporting the studio has turned its focus to the PC version for the time being.

"An eventual XBLA version--and even PSN version--is not out of the question but neither will be this year," said the company.

Part of the decision may be attributed to transforming Tribes: Ascend into a free-to-play game. There have been rumors of Microsoft working to enable free-to-play experiences on Xbox Live, but so far, that hasn't come to pass.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

When Global Agenda developer Hi-Rez announced its Tribes reboot, Tribes: Ascend, it was coming to both PC and Xbox Live Arcade sometime this year. Though a console version could still happen, GameSpot UK's reporting the studio has turned its focus to the PC version for the time being.

"An eventual XBLA version--and even PSN version--is not out of the question but neither will be this year," said the company.

Part of the decision may be attributed to transforming Tribes: Ascend into a free-to-play game. There have been rumors of Microsoft working to enable free-to-play experiences on Xbox Live, but so far, that hasn't come to pass.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

Woo Klepek. I would not be opposed to touching your hair.

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HarrySound

bugger. 
    They will never capture Tribe 2 again :( 

These kinds of announcements mean it'll never come to the arcade..... 
    My guess would be a retail product, but probably not at all.

notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By notha

did anyone ever play tribes for ps2? it was awful, tribes is too fast for a controller imo

gothaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gothaggis

I can't playing Tribes with a console controller. Tribes Aerial Assault for the PS2 was a travesty. If they do end up releasing it for the consoles, have fun with autoaim.

i'm glad they are focusing on PC only, as they should be. Still a bit worried about all of the changes to the game they are making that got leaked out......however i'm still open to whatever they want to try to help make Tribes a popular game again.

(for the record, Tribes 1 was a better game than Tribes 2....but I still love them both. I won't even speak of the disaster that was Tribes Vengeance)

edit: HiRez announced the other day that they will be showing off Tribes:Ascend at both Quakecon and PAX Prime

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft
    @notha said:

did anyone ever play tribes for ps2? it was awful, tribes is too fast for a controller imo

yeah that's true but a good developer can work with high speeds with a little aim assist as long as its not to overpowered
    renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By renmckormack

I WANT TRIBES NOW KLEPEK> MAKE IT HAPPEN.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By umdesch4

I thought maybe they were delaying it while they investigate the existence of a Tribes board game overseas.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Eh, I've my doubts that Microsoft would ever want F2P games on Xbox Live. That would cut too much into non-F2P games, which are pretty much all the big games on the system. I think Team Fortress 2 and the lack of updates established that.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

Good. I'd rather they put effort into making the best game they can instead of designing it around another platform's hardware limitations.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Ravenousrattler

I would like to see some F2P stuff on xbox live.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wickedsc3

boo.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Jensonb

I would not be opposed to a PSN version of this, though funnily enough the idea had not occurred to me until this article.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

The last  Tribes on console was a disaster.    Seriously, PC all the way if your going to bother playing this.   I don't wanna  be "that guy" who touts  Mouse and Keyboard superiority but well.... I'm kinda gonna be that guy anyways because damn playing with a M&K is so much better once you get the hang of it.   Granted, there is a inital learning curve that requires you sink a fair amount of hours into playing PC shooters.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vinsanityv22

Hey Hi-Rez; you know there's this thing called the Playstation Network? Where F2P games are welcome (Free Realms says hello). Yeah, it's crazy; gamers everywhere download games and play them on their non-Xbox 360 consoles. It's like...the future, or something. To think; the Xbox 360 isn't the only console in the world with an online marketplace. Sarcasm aside, you (and more developers) need to cut this XBLA-exclusive sh** out already. I thought the point of making DLGs was to avoid the publisher costs and politic-ing, competing for retail space and just getting games to gamers? Well, what's the point when you're ignoring about half the gamer population? Bring it to PSN.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Norusdog

Tribes > all

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By august

@buft said:

@notha said:

yeah that's true but a good developer can work with high speeds with a little aim assist as long as its not to overpowered

Tribes is more about leading your target, most of the weapons aren't hitscan.

Plus you have to do it while soaring through the air.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By buft
    @august said:

@buft said:

@notha said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything i said, you don't think leading a shot can be programmed into aim assist?
    rukus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rukus

No doubt Microsoft's draconian certification process for updates has a big part in this. After a developer gets one "freebie" title update they either have to pay for every subsequent update or charge the players for the DLC/update.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By jmrwacko

Why play a F2P Tribes when I can play Section 8: Prejudice instead? Just saying.

Spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spark

Eh, I don't know why anybody would play Tribes with a controller anyway.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By xpgamer7

Every time I see tribes I get excited, there's just so much potential regardless of the system it comes out on.

Sevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Sevan

That screenshot has a super- Halo-y feel about it...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Sooty
    @Sevan said:
    How? Looks way more like Crysis 2's hud.
    Sevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sevan
    @Ygg said:
    @Sevan said:
    the way the mountains are on the screen reminds me of a Halo folding up into the sky. The gun hud reminds me of Halo's AR. And The ground textures look like Reach.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By TheHT
    @Ygg said:
    @Sevan said:
    The gun and the locale.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Subjugation

@TheHT said:

@Ygg said:
    @Sevan said:
    The gun and the locale.

The gun's geometry looks a LOT like the AR. I did a double take.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Well, good new for PC gamers like me. Not that it's not coming to XBLA, but that they're focusing on the PC version.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Slaker117

Maybe it's best to keep this one away from the Xbox. That landscape, color pallet, and gun design all remind me a lot of Halo.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hitchenson
    @buft said:
    @august said:

@buft said:

@notha said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything i said, you don't think leading a shot can be programmed into aim assist?
    Doesn't that annoy you? Oh cool, the game got me a kill, nice. I don't see how that's good at all.
    Abndak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Abndak
    @jmrwacko: Can't judge until tribes: ascend is out. If they manage to make it as good as the previous tribes games, you will notice why tribes is better than section 8.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@weeman105 said:

@TheHT said:

@Ygg said:
    @Sevan said:
    The gun and the locale.

I dunno, a readout and such doesn't make it any more of an AR. It looks like a Spinfusor to me.

hbk619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By hbk619
    @vinsanityv22 said:

Hey Hi-Rez; you know there's this thing called the Playstation Network? Where F2P games are welcome (Free Realms says hello). Yeah, it's crazy; gamers everywhere download games and play them on their non-Xbox 360 consoles. It's like...the future, or something. To think; the Xbox 360 isn't the only console in the world with an online marketplace. Sarcasm aside, you (and more developers) need to cut this XBLA-exclusive sh** out already. I thought the point of making DLGs was to avoid the publisher costs and politic-ing, competing for retail space and just getting games to gamers? Well, what's the point when you're ignoring about half the gamer population? Bring it to PSN.

This a million times over, this.

The indie dev that claims to be all for the gamer and then signs an exclusivity contract for their game to be on XBLA's 'of arcade' period's really doesn't grab my attention all that much.

Yeah, we know MS has a shit-ton of money, but don't ignore the other half just because of the almighty dollar. After all aren't most of these indie devs out there just to give people an awesome game and not be all about the profit margins?

I don't mind the sole exclusivity stuff. But the timed exclusive stuff is just bullshit, bring it out day and date with the other platforms if you're going to do it eventually anyway.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow said:

@weeman105 said:

@TheHT said:

@Ygg said:
    @Sevan said:
    The gun and the locale.

I dunno, a readout and such doesn't make it any more of an AR. It looks like a Spinfusor to me.

I'll second that I think it looks a shit ton like Halo, just the readout of the gun, kind of the geometry, and especially the locale, with green grass, trees, some bunkers, it all just looks stylistically like Halo. Not that that's a bad thing, but kind of startling.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@InfamousBIG said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@weeman105 said:

@TheHT said:

@Ygg said:
    @Sevan said:
    The gun and the locale.

I'll second that I think it looks a shit ton like Halo, just the readout of the gun, kind of the geometry, and especially the locale, with green grass, trees, some bunkers, it all just looks stylistically like Halo. Not that that's a bad thing, but kind of startling.

Did you guys actually play Tribes 2 or Tribes : Vengeance? Both games had large stretches of forested (or in T2's case 'green') landscape and bunkers. Halo took a lot of its landscaping cues from Tribes 2 to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow said:

@InfamousBIG said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@weeman105 said:

@TheHT said:

@Ygg said:
    @Sevan said:
    The gun and the locale.

Did you guys actually play Tribes 2 or Tribes : Vengeance? Both games had large stretches of forested (or in T2's case 'green') landscape and bunkers. Halo took a lot of its landscaping cues from Tribes 2 to be honest.

Nope, can't say as I have. Last time I played a Halo Game was Halo 2, to be honest, as well. Either way, kind of dig the look, I guess.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheHT
    @SeriouslyNow: a looong time ago.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By captain_clayman

free 2 play needs to be a thing on xbox.  maybe finally that updated version of tf2?  maaaaybe?

Avatar image for deactivated-588e9fa5ad5d2
    deactivated-588e9fa5ad5d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No dedicated servers.
    No mods.
    No user-made maps.
    No custom loadouts. 
    2 weapon limit.
    No jumping (rumor)
    Can't carry both grenades and mines (rumor, though gameplay video might confirm it)

What happened to you, Tribes?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#40  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@EvanVolm said:

No dedicated servers. No mods. No user-made maps. No custom loadouts. 2 weapon limit. No jumping (rumor) Can't carry both grenades and mines (rumor, though gameplay video might confirm it) What happened to you, Tribes?

It sounds unlikely they'd take out jumping. Jumping and jetpacks are pretty much what made Tribes what it is, along with the skating. I think they showed some jetpack stuff in the early screenshots as well.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Branthog

Oh. I thought this was going to be a full game; not an arcade game. I didn't even realize it was going to be for consoles, either. I guess I should ratchet my excitement for this back down from a seven to about a two.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#42  Edited By loopy_101

Tribes is nothing like Halo. That will be all. 

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Cubical

The crap slow ass analog stick control and fucking blury low res textures and poly models would ruin a game like tribes just like all the other fucking lame PC ports and first person shooters on consoles so nobody gives a fuck if it shows up or not. 

But then again the fucking xbox already raped Tribes and gave it aids before it even came out just like with games like crysis 2 they make look like ass and dumb it down for consoles and the tainted xbox and ps2 ps3 filth carries over to PC so fuck this game all together it's not tribes anymore.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MadExponent

SHAZBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tenderbrew

No custom load outs? 

Where did they say this?

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By otzlowe
    @Cubical said:
    The crap slow ass analog stick control and fucking blury low res textures and poly models would ruin a game like tribes just like all the other fucking lame PC ports and first person shooters on consoles so nobody gives a fuck if it shows up or not. 

But then again the fucking xbox already raped Tribes and gave it aids before it even came out just like with games like crysis 2 they make look like ass and dumb it down for consoles and the tainted xbox and ps2 ps3 filth carries over to PC so fuck this game all together it's not tribes anymore.
    Jayzus. What crawled in you and died? You sound like the least-happy person that ever lived.
    phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By phonics
    @Cubical said:

real talk just waiting on misinformed 16yo JPRG-fans to call this guy a troll or something equally retarded 
    MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MacEG

SHAZBOT!

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By jeffk38uk
    @Cubical: You sound like you need a hug or 20.
    tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tenderbrew

Seriously, who heard about no load outs? 

This is distressing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.