Duders! Tribes Ascend now on steam, starter pack 50% off

#1 Posted by DeF (4777 posts) -

You can now get Tribes Ascend directly from steam and for all newcomers, there's the starter pack that includes lifetime bonus XP, weapons, two unlocked classes and stuff for 50% off (10 bucks I think)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17095

now seems a pretty good time to try out this high quality free 2 play gem!

#2 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6041 posts) -

Thanks for the heads-up. This looked like fun. How bad is the F2P model in Tribes?

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

On Steam now? Great! Now I've got something to do until today's TF2 update finishes!

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Thanks for the heads-up. This looked like fun. How bad is the F2P model in Tribes?

It's kinda crappy in that it takes forever to bank non-paid currency for significant upgrades, but even the base classes are a blast to play once you get used to the insane speed of the game.

Dropping $10 on the lifetime XP bonus and a few other goodies kept me interested in the game until Diablo III came out. I'll probably get back into Tribes some more now that my interest in More Diablo is waning.

#4 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

FYI to anyone jumping into it: get ready for the pay-to-win model.

I uninstalled this after about a week. It saddens me to do that, especially because the gameplay itself is fucking excellent.

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4247 posts) -

Can someone clear something up for me about the XP boost please? I bought the starter pack, but nothing in the game seems to reflect that I'm getting any xp boost whatsoever so I'm left wondering if it's just always applied and there's no visual queues for it or it's not applied and I should contact support? Gracias mis amigos.

@jakob187 said:

How is it pay-to-win? All the weapons and items seem to have pros and cons and it's a team game so I don't see how buying anything will give you an unfair advantage...

#6 Posted by mewarmo990 (828 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

Can someone clear something up for me about the XP boost please? I bought the starter pack, but nothing in the game seems to reflect that I'm getting any xp boost whatsoever so I'm left wondering if it's just always applied and there's no visual queues for it or it's not applied and I should contact support? Gracias mis amigos.

@jakob187 said:

How is it pay-to-win? All the weapons and items seem to have pros and cons and it's a team game so I don't see how buying anything will give you an unfair advantage...

Look for the the "VIP" XP meter at the end of each round. It's in the same place as the other Base and Bonus XP displays.

It's somewhat subjective, but I disagree with anyone who says that Tribes Ascend is "pay-to-win". At least, it's much less so than other games because the gameplay is balanced. Most weapon unlocks are more like "sidegrades", e.g. trade off damage for AoE, magazine size for damage, etc. However, there are a few highly useful gear and equipment items that are very expensive XP-wise (70-90k).

Once you unlock all the classes (18k each, if you're a mediocre player like me you can make roughly 2000 xp a match so not too bad) it's a lot of fun exploring the different options and roles, and I haven't gotten bored yet even if the unlocking takes a while.

#7 Posted by neverdeed (15 posts) -

20 dollars for a "starter" pack in a f2p game.

yeah thats not gross

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.