Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tribes Ascend

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 12, 2012

Tribes: Ascend is a fast-paced free-to-play FPS developed by Hi-Rez Studios for the PC. With a focus on projectile weapons, high speed and jet packs, Tribes: Ascend offers unique acrobatic aerial combat with intense class based teamwork.

Made a Tribes: Ascend impression video. Not much discussion!

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xbob42

So as my thread title says, I haven't seen all that much Tribes: Ascend discussion out there. You can find some here and there, but I think it deserves a little more talk than it's garnered so far! So to do what little I can to help generate some buzz, I made an impression video the other day after having played the beta for about 3-4 days. (Watch in 1080p and stuff!)

While I've made quite a few basic videos (Mostly just boss kill stuff from my WoW days, my guild loved having that stuff and it was fun to make, so why not?) this is the first one I've ever actually voiced. So that explains the occasional background noise and such. My mic isn't horrible, but I think it's definitely time to get a new one. This video actually took a lot longer than I thought it would to make, having to go through an hour or so of footage and pluck out some fairly interesting (Nothing amazing.) stuff to present while I was talking. I originally wanted to match stuff in-game with what I was saying, but that would've meant recording even MORE footage! Seeing as how it was just a video for the boards I frequent (I've only posted here a few times, mostly about Endurance Run stuff cause I'm crazy, but this is my favorite gaming site overall, I think.) I didn't think I'd need to spend too much more time on it than was strictly necesarry.

So, besides the few black spots (My transition effect messed up twice somehow and I somehow missed it in editing and didn't want to re-render the video.) I think it turned out alright. I'm really liking this game, so lemme know what you think!

Moustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Moustachio

Oh my, good sir! What a terrific post and handsome video! I, as a fellow and separate human being, approve greatly of this! I say!

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BlinkyTM

Well, I trust your video is good because your white, your friend is whitish...I suspect something went wrong in the cloning process, and I'm white! So, my opinion of your video should be trusted too right?

Opinion: I'll do this when I get home...sitting in a hallway with a bunch of people right now lol!

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xbob42

Man, still can't generate much discussion about this game! If you're a PC gamer who loves PC-centric shooters that rely on speed and skill then this is totally for you. It's been SO long since we had a game like this. It's all slow-paced corridor shooters now. Even BF3 doesn't feel anywhere near fast enough.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

@xbob42: @Moustachio said:

Oh my, good sir! What a terrific post and handsome video! I, as a fellow and separate human being, approve greatly of this! I say!

Using multiple accounts to promote your vids is frowned upon :P

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maluvin

Man I used to play Tribes 2 with my little brother so much. Love Tribes!

Great video and definitely has me interested in checking it out soon.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xbob42

@Ravenlight said:

Um. Thanks? Do you have anything to contribute? Because I'm pretty sure spam is also frowned upon. I don't care if you watch the video or not, I want to talk about TRIBES ASCEND. I thought I made that kind of clear.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

@xbob42 said:

@Ravenlight said:

Um. Thanks? Do you have anything to contribute? Because I'm pretty sure spam is also frowned upon. I don't care if you watch the video or not, I want to talk about TRIBES ASCEND. I thought I made that kind of clear.

I hadn't eaten lunch when I posted that comment and was a bit cranky :/

From what I saw when I skimmed through your video, the game at least looks like a pretty faithful recreation of Starsiege Tribes with some modern polish applied and I think that's a cool thing. I'll definitely sit down later and watch the whole vid from beginning to end.

Ascend is free-to-play, right? What part of the game are they monetizing?

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xbob42

Thanks! Sorry if I seemed a bit, er, brusque, I just picture comments like that as being made by like a kid wearing a deputy Sheriff badge, and deputy Sheriffs always ruin things!

Ascend is free-to-play, they're monetizing by allowing you to pretty much do what you could do in Global Agenda. That is, paying to accelerate token and exp gains and also to straight up buy gold which can be used to unlock classes instantly if that's the route you wanna go. Everything can be unlocked in-game, though, through normal play. They're still messing with the values, but the two current default classes, Soldier and Ranger, seem like excellent classes that only make you curious as to how the others play, encouraging you to play more. You can buy a Boost, which I believe is double XP and token gains, and spending absolutely any amount of cash makes you a permanent VIP, which nets you +50% token and XP gains, which stack with boosts.

I haven't paid a dime and I feel like my progress is going along just fine. That said, nothing seems prohibitively expensive SO far. We'll see, though! I like the model they have going, as I detail in the video. It's free-to-play but not pay-to-win, which is exactly why it's being accepted as an eSport. (As much as I detest the idea of eSports, they're probably good for gaming overall. I think the term eSport just sounds TERRIBLE.)

As for it being faithful to Tribes... Apparently a lot of hardcore Tribes fans are up in arms about the lack of customization (It's all classes.) but it doesn't really bother me in the slightest. Some things change, it's been a long time and they have to make somehow. It's not like their classes are limited or anything, there's pretty much every combination I could reasonably come up with. To me, this is Tribes, whether a hardcore Tribes fan thinks so... that's another thing, but if you just want Tribes with pretty graphics, then this is not that. This is a new game. As TotalBiscuit says "This is Tribes: Ascend. And it plays like Tribes: Ascend."

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lockwoodx

Tribes Ascend Vs. Firefall (who is being made by the guys who created Tribes)

Go!

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xbob42

@Buzzkill said:

Tribes Ascend Vs. Firefall (who is being made by the guys who created Tribes)

Go!

If they're both free-to-play, you'll find me on both!

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DG991

Tribes ascend would be as good as tribes 2 if it let you buy vehicles as freely.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xbob42

I played some CTF and it seems as though you're totally free to buy whatever vehicles you want so long as you have the cash. Didn't notice any limits aside from that.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@xbob42: Okay, I'm at home now and itching to try out a new shooter that doesn't involve contemporary conflict. Is T:A still currently in closed beta?

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xbob42

It is, though getting into the beta isn't amazingly difficult. I got accepted same-day.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By Danteveli

Played a bit but its hard to just jump and get used to old school MP after all that COD and Battlefield

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Subjugation

I just applied for beta access, so we'll see how that goes. It looks interesting enough, although I don't have any previous experience with Tribes.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xbob42

@Danteveli said:

Played a bit but its hard to just jump and get used to old school MP after all that COD and Battlefield

How soft gamers have become with their console babby shooters. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.