To all GOTY Discussions... WAIT!

#1 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

If nothing else, this game is the most beautiful game I have seen all year, and that is with 50 hours into Skyrim. It may not be game of the year, but it definitely has the visuals portion down. I just started playing, but in the first 10 seconds I was captivated by the look of this game. So captivated I texted my wife while she was teaching nurses... I'm sure she had it on silent. Anyways, I am two chapters in (levels) and it looks amazing! It's like playing through Fantasia. It's only $15 on Steam. I encourage anyone who at least likes things that look pretty to... Take a look?

#2 Posted by mosespippy (3974 posts) -

It'll probably come up in the best downloadable game category but I don't see it beating out some of the top contenders.

#3 Posted by Ghostiet (5208 posts) -

Shit, this came out this year?

Okay, fuck GOTY deliberations, my attempts at making a top 10 I am satisfied with are bound to fail.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

@Ghostiet: It came out today. SURPRISE.

#5 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

I was in the beta for preordering, the game is great,plus co-op!

#6 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

I will not! Can't stop the pain train, baby!

#7 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Do you know if you can couch co-op on Steam? lol

#8 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Valames said:

@mosdl said:

Do you know if you can couch co-op on Steam? lol

Local co-op is in the game

#9 Posted by me3639 (1705 posts) -

Damn, didnt know that. Only review i could find gave it a 95%.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/12/07/trine-2-review/1
#10 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Jeff just answered my tweet saying they will probably do a QL.

#11 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

I was just as surprised as Ryan was on the Bombcast. Actually that is when I bought it on Steam. So I too preordered, by about 12 hours, lol.

#12 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

According to gamespot, 1.1 millions copies sold of the original, mostly on Steam. Looks like Mac version is available to as the game is Steamplay enabled.

#13 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I'm definitely playing this game before I make a top-10 list-- I loved the first one and this one looks even better :)
I also hope there's a QL for this game tomorrow or at least next week.

#14 Posted by astonish (211 posts) -

This game is absolutely mind-blowing in 3D, one of very few that I feel this way about. It looks incredible even in 2D and they really put time and care into the how the 3D works.

#15 Posted by Grillbar (1792 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

Shit, this came out this year?

Okay, fuck GOTY deliberations, my attempts at making a top 10 I am satisfied with are bound to fail.

well it just came out. think it was the 6. of december or something like that and eu/au the 9. but not sure.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The moment I saw it's available I punched a baby and bought it. 

Loving it so far, it's so amazing, the interactive environment is craaaazy

#17 Posted by Drace (164 posts) -

I'm surprised that this game isn't getting more buzz on the major sites. Are they all waiting for the console releases to start talking about it?

Loved the original. Might just go ahead and get it on Steam today.

#18 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I still need to finish the first one.

#19 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

So far it's at least as good as the first one in all aspects except there is no loot(that I've found anyways). In the first Trine exploring crazy areas or solving difficult side puzzles could reward the player with cool pieces of loot that would have pretty significant buff properties on them. So far all I've got from all the secret chest I've found is poems and artwork. The poems appear to kind of string together in a kinda "Halo 3 ODST Audio Log-esque" way, but man I want loot bro, got that loot lust! It made figuring out puzzles way more rewarding.

#20 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

Just wanted to pop in here to say that this game is absolutely FUCKING gorgeous.

#21 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

My wife won't even watch City of Ember with me because she is addicted to it now. Whatevs, I got Tanooki suited Mario's to watch with me.

#22 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2717 posts) -

The repetitive combat ruined the first game for me. Is the combat any better in this?

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:

The repetitive combat ruined the first game for me. Is the combat any better in this?

I'm 2 hours in and I'm loving the combat.  
  • As Amadeus (wizard), I can either create crates/planks on top of enemies to crush them, or pick up enemies and throw them around (magic upgrade) <== the most fun ever!
  • As Zoya, I use the bow to shoot them. The beauty of it is that you can buy an ice upgrade for the arrows which slows down the big enemies/freezes the smaller enemies (so you can BASH them to bits as the warrior afterwards)  
  • As Pontius (warrior), you can upgrade your shield so it stuns the enemies when they hit it / slash them with your sword (which has a fire upgrade) or bash them with the sledge hammer 

I'm looking forward to the upcoming upgrades, like multiple arrows for Zoya or throwing hammers for Pontius, and the enemies are much more dynamic and awesome than Trine's skeletons.. they're well animated goblins! 
#24 Edited by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

I definitely loved the look of the first game but never got around to finishing because I wasn't necessarily that fond of the actual gameplay. Still, I will definitely pick this up sometime during the Christmas break.

#25 Posted by astonish (211 posts) -

I'm really enjoying this, though rewatching the trailer it looks like it could be something magical (pardon the pun) with good coop partners.

I'd imagine it could make a really awesome co-op speed run.

#26 Posted by schematic (23 posts) -

The art direction in this game is Fucking amazing. Seriously well thought out level design and puzzles. The coop is also increasing its longevity for me :)

#27 Posted by Veektarius (4539 posts) -

Great game, people should play it. Should be more games like it.

#28 Posted by BasketSnake (1151 posts) -

It's the best looking game I've ever seen in terms of artstyle and technical stuff merged together. It's not only got great shaders and lighting but the artstyle is the best I've seen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.