Serious lack of Xbox 360 reviews

#1 Posted by BR4DL3I9H (260 posts) -

I played the pc demo and thought it was good, but i really want to get it for my xbox 360 instead of the pc. However, there seems to be a serious lack of xbox 360 reviews, and when i saw it earlier today i was tempted to get it as it was only £25, but i quickly remembered the whole supreme commander PC vs Xbox 360 fisaco and decided against purchasing it. 

Considering this game is out now, where are the Xbox 360 reviews? Are the controls any good on the Xbxo 360? This is all i want to know, but metacritic only found 1 xbox 360 review. One!

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14419 posts) -

I can't imagine the 360 version being as good as the PC version. Console controllers just don't suit this kind of game. Mouse & Keyboard is the way to go.

#3 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Well, there is one review out: 

Reviews

Sure, power corrupts, but absolute power is f***ing rad.
By Scott Sharkey  10/28/2009

There's something appealing about a good, old fashioned dictatorship, so long as you're the dictator. It's a tempting kind of fantasy, whether you feel like being a despotic tyrant, the architect of a tropical utopia, or more likely, a fumbling idiot yanking ineffectually on the reins of power as the cart of society plunges into the ravine of tortured metaphor -- which is fun in its own way. Tropico 3 delivers on those fantasies better than any game in recent memory, but that's sort of an easy thing to say, given that city management sims have long since taken the trophy for World's Deadest Genre, and none of them ever bothered much with giving us banana republics to run into the ground. But I don't want to damn the thing with faint praise. Tropico 3 is a great distraction, if a bit dated and minimal-looking.

Even with all the bells turned on, Tropico 3 isn't going to blow anyone's eyeballs off with its graphics. Not that graphics are usually why anyone plays a game like this -- there's enough detail, and you can zoom in close to admire the crumbling tenements or the graffiti on the high school walls, but far more time will be spent trying to figure out whether to make your money off tourism or tobacco exports, in between fending off assassination attempts from people who caught on that you were rigging the elections.

Click the image above to check out all Tropico 3 screens.

While the game provides a wide selection of real-life dictators to act as your avatar, it's always more fun to make your own, fiddling with their appearance and granting traits and faults like "financial genius" or "flatulent." I couldn't help being pleased that I could make my personal representation into an alcoholic with Tourette's Syndrome. The personality of the dictator offers some significant in-game perks and drawbacks in the form of things like extra love or hate from the island's many factions, bonuses or penalties to production rates or export prices, or favor from either the US or USSR (apparently the reds will have a soft spot for your guy if he drinks too much). Unfortunately, these don't make any difference in terms of the atmosphere or presentation: It'd be fun if El Presidente's Tourette's-affected speeches were actually peppered with random bleeped-out words, but things like that just don't happen. Personalization is mostly a matter of numbers, and the rest is pretty much imagination. Likewise, there's not a lot in the way of visual options, though there are enough to set up incongruous situations, like a bespectacled Asian schoolgirl addressing her nation from the palace balcony.

The major appeal of the game is in bootstrapping a culture and economy, figuring out the dynamics of a complex system, and manipulating it toward either your own goals or the ones given in specific scenarios. You know, like a city sim. What sets Tropico apart is that your nation is, clearly and unambiguously, an underdog. A little guy trying to join the developed world despite crushing poverty, an uneducated workforce, unfair international trade agreements, and foreign warships circling your island like sharks should you fail to suck up to the superpowers enough. Victory in this case may not actually be harder than in other, similar titles, but it certainly feels like you started off with everything against you, and in the end it feels like you really earned every cent in that secret Swiss bank account of yours. Oh, and your people earned stuff like electricity and health care, I suppose.

Click the image above to check out all Tropico 3 screens.

In fact, it's very tempting to call Tropico 3 "edutainment," and I only hesitate to do so because the word has long since been synonymous with "no damn fun." In this case, however, the challenges the game presents are personally involving rather than being all teachy for its own sake. In facing players with barely fictionalized situations like ludicrous export taxes imposed on former colonies, or the tempting aid agreements that quickly turn exploitative, Tropico 3 makes it very easy to understand why, say, Che Guevara was so pissed off about the United Fruit Company, or how after the third attempt on your life, it'd be tempting to round up all the foreigners and rebels and ship them off to Florida. You might even feel a little bit galled that tourists don't want to have to see where your people actually live, and maybe feel like justice has been served in a small way when they pay through the nose for your watery liquor with an umbrella in it. Tropico 3 beats the hell out of history books, and strangely, most games of its kind. I only wish that the soundtrack had more tunes. And that I could have the DJ shot. God, I can't stand that guy.  

This is a 360 review.
Would have been better suited to the Wii (and that isn't an insult).  I could see myself playing this game, at a price, and more likely on the PC (iMac/Macbook).
#4 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Pretty much what Matty said. I don't think reviewers feel that they should review the 360 version seeing as console RTS games are pretty much inferior to their PC counterparts.

#5 Posted by BR4DL3I9H (260 posts) -

I agree that a control pad fails in comparison to a keyboard in terms of controls, but the fact that i can sit in a more comfortable place is more appealing for me.

#6 Posted by BR4DL3I9H (260 posts) -

The 1up review doesn't cover the xbox 360 controls though, which is the area i am most concerned with.

#7 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
#8 Posted by BR4DL3I9H (260 posts) -

That's the question though. Are the controls bad? There are some great RTS on consoles that have excellent use of the control pad, but if it's just a lazy port to consoles with no attention to a decent control scheme then i will give it a miss, but until someone actually writes an Xbox 360 review, detailing the controls, then i don't want to risk getting the game, just in case.

#9 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

There is now a demo out on xbox live, download it if you havn't bought the game already and see for yourself. The controls take a bit of getting used to but they arn't bad... that said you wouldn't call them great either.
#10 Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -

360 version got pushed into 2010. That's why you aren't seeing much review coverage of it yet.

Staff
#11 Posted by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" I can't imagine the 360 version being as good as the PC version. Console controllers just don't suit this kind of game. Mouse & Keyboard is the way to go. "
This is indeed the case, however the 360 game is still good fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.