Tropico 3 Screens, Web Site Launched

Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
Things look a bit better after 6 years.
The Tropico games always hit a soft-spot with me. While they didn't compete well against their big-brothers in the Civilization and SimCity franchises the games always carried that extra layer of humor that is needed when you're playing an omnipotent god / dictator. The game really pushed the amount of laughs you can get by oppressing a small island nation. A third game in the series,  aptly titled Tropico 3, is filling the six-year absence from the Pirate Cove and will be hitting shelves this summer. A "teaser" Web site for the game lunched today and is a little thin on the details with only a handful of screenshots and some generic feature lists. One bullet-point on the site did grab at me though.
A timeline editor allows you to create your own fictive historical events or add real ones.

I have absolutely no idea what a timeline editor can be in a nation-building sim so I'll only speculate for the best and assume it allows me to recreate 1960s Havana where I can drink mojitos on the beach with Castro. Btw, dude, we have a Castro page! Giant Bomb is fabulous.

#1 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
Things look a bit better after 6 years.
The Tropico games always hit a soft-spot with me. While they didn't compete well against their big-brothers in the Civilization and SimCity franchises the games always carried that extra layer of humor that is needed when you're playing an omnipotent god / dictator. The game really pushed the amount of laughs you can get by oppressing a small island nation. A third game in the series,  aptly titled Tropico 3, is filling the six-year absence from the Pirate Cove and will be hitting shelves this summer. A "teaser" Web site for the game lunched today and is a little thin on the details with only a handful of screenshots and some generic feature lists. One bullet-point on the site did grab at me though.
A timeline editor allows you to create your own fictive historical events or add real ones.

I have absolutely no idea what a timeline editor can be in a nation-building sim so I'll only speculate for the best and assume it allows me to recreate 1960s Havana where I can drink mojitos on the beach with Castro. Btw, dude, we have a Castro page! Giant Bomb is fabulous.

#2 Edited by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Holy fuck, I loved Tropico 1&2.

#3 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Man, thanks for that comment Captain_Fookup. Sometimes I get self-conscious about posting really obscure PC stuff this early in the morning. Nice to know there's another fan of the series.

#4 Posted by SinGulaR (2249 posts) -

I liked to play Tropico 1. Hell, I'll probably gonna dig it out and play it again.

#5 Posted by Tw1sted (48 posts) -

omgomgomgomogmogmogmogmogmomgomgomgogmogmgomgomgomogmg 

TROPICO
*hyperventilate*

I LOVE THAT GAME
#6 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

whats tropico?

#7 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Geez dave, 'Gaint Bomb'. A man needs to have standards... or more coffee. Lulz intended i guess.

I've never even heard of the tropico series. Then again i've never even played one of these god games. Those screens look awfully pretty though.
I'd want to base my economy entirely around cigar exports.

#8 Edited by Bongler (13 posts) -

I love Tropico 1 never played the second. This is awsome.

#9 Edited by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

I have no idea what that is but it looks pretty, I love Mojitos and I could dig a day with mah dawg Castro.

#10 Posted by Tordah (2469 posts) -

I think I've played the first Tropico but I'm not sure. Was it at all similar to Ceasar 3 & Pharaoh? Because if it was, I'm gonna have to check it out.

#11 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Despite totally being my kind of game, the Tropico games have somehow managed to pass me by. I usually love this type of game, but for some reason I've never played a Tropico game. They strike me as being a mix between the Caesar games (and all the variants in different settings, Pharaoh, Master of Olympus etc.) and the Settlers games. Both of which I absolutely loved. So I'll definately be checking this out, and probably Tropico 1 & 2 if I can find somewhere to buy them. Anyone know of a digital distribution store that sells them? Or am I going to have to resort to ebay?

#12 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I'm still trying to be good at the first Tropico, and there's going to be a third one?!

#13 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

Oh snap! I still have my old tropico in my bookshelf! I might even reinstall it. :D

#14 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -

Wow, how did I completely miss Tropico 2? I loved the first one and am definitely interested in this.

#15 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I always thought I would like a Tropico game...

#16 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Heh thats weird, thought i added those screenshots to the gamepage when they wer released... Anyway added them plus the some other ones that have been released.

#17 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

I played some Tropico but couldn't get into it, these screens look tempting though.

#18 Posted by mracoon (4947 posts) -

Tropico was such a great game and didn't get the attention it deserved. It's really great to see a new one being made.

#19 Edited by PeasForFees (2408 posts) -

Do I "Sea" a Bioshock 2 Reference in picture 2 get it Wink Wink

#20 Posted by shunal (9 posts) -

After a long long gap. Judging by the screenshots, should be great.

#21 Posted by Kinarion (378 posts) -

Time line editor makes me think 1984-esque, 'when I was a kid we had only invented the helicopter,  not the plane as well'.  Anyway, that's what I hope it means, editing the history books.

#22 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Liking it

#23 Posted by MeatSim (10734 posts) -

There's a Fidel Castro page? Giant Bomb FTW!

#24 Posted by EndlessMike (514 posts) -

The main problem I had with Tropico 1 was a lack of feedback. It would seem like one day I was making loads of cash and then within seconds all my money was on fire without knowing why. It was still an excellent game though and I think the focus on the leader (choosing positive and negative traits, appearance) was something totally unique to the genre at the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.