Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tropico 3

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

EL PRESIDENTÉ! In Tropico 3, you play as a dictator on a Caribbean island trying to become as wealthy and successful as possible.

Was really loving this game, but then I tried an online challenge

Kintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kintaro

Seriously, what the fuck!?

It was a 20 year game that didn't allow you to build an Immigration Office and on the first year literally 150 people would come into the island. A couple years after that about 250 come in total. The game would kinda look like it chugs then whoosh your land is covered with shanties. Rebels outnumber my army about 70 to 16. At first they attacked farms so all I did was rebuild them. I had 70 people without jobs lying around the land.

I thought I could manage, after the first years, my Sugar would roll in and after profits from that my Rum Distillery would bring amazing money. The challenge even says that Rum prices are high. So first Rum year came back about 70k. Great. Second armory, highly paid soldiers and generals. Built about 10-13 Tenements for all the damn homeless. Church. Clinic. Restaurant. Newspaper. Guard Posts. Farms for corn/pineapple/papaya/bananas. Ranch. (Needed to add variety to food and increase supply) Police. Second Resto (for Secret Po. hopefully), High School. Army Base.

(Note for other players: Rum/Spiced Rum + Booze Baron seem to work great. Don't bother with chopping wood, tobacco, mines and even oil - they're too much hassle and pollution and College workers. Besides, Rum makes thrice as much money with only half the hassle. Build 5+ sugar farms, get the export money for sugar one or two years then build distillery ASAP. Import distillery workers, set salary to high, and you will get 50k treasury next year. Upgrade to spiced, you get about 80k next year. Then all you need is a natural gas power plant - imported workers; high salary. Upgrade your distillery output and you will make 120-150k shipments. You virtually can't spend more money than even half of your income after that. To conserve in pollution one Distillery is usually enough. The only things in your island causing pollution would be farms and one distillery - two if you want to use the industry edict. Remember, no mining, no logging, no oil = really low pollution. Rum & Spiced Rum = lots of money. I wanted to somehow write about some strategies I learned about this game as a FAQ or something since I couldn't find decent information online, but after this incident I guess I'm not good enough to write one.)

Midway through the high school the rebels attacked the palace. About 80 rebels to 18 Soldiers. End game after 7 years as El Presidente.

I just thought: "Wow. You know what, I thought I was having fun until the game (or online features/community) griefed me." I know I'm no 1337 H4X0R about this game but this sort of "challenge" is way discouraging. In the same light, I'm not excited about Starcraft 2's multiplayer because I haven't been playing SC since half a decade ago. This is like when I tried League of Legends with only limited knowledge of "Hero Arena" games. I thought since it wasn't DotA I might be able to get in before everybody was too good. Didn't happen. I don't even remember the name you get called for giving your enemy all the kills, but I did get called it - even if I tried my best not to screw up. Same thing happens with something like Gears of War, for completely different reasons. Gears is a game where not changing to a single-shot-kill gun is blatant suicide. Unfortunately, I hate sniping, and single shot guns. (boomshot, torque bow, etc.) Games generally balance these things out by giving auto-fire some advantages, but Gears does not. Try fighting a sniper with the lancer even at medium to close ranges and see what happens. Shooting them won't stagger, won't mess them up, won't even hurt. And in melee ranges the sniper isn't even weaker. They can still bash you all the same so getting in there and mixing it up will just get a sniper-rifle butt in your face. In Gears, there isn't enough one-shot weapons for whole teams, so as not to take a crucial weapon from possibly more capable members of our team, I opt to stay with my standard weapons and protect them while they try to get the weapons. And those guns never kill anything. Essentially, Gears is a "run to the weapons or die" kind of game.

You'd think maybe that's just how it is but I don't think so. I play Halo 3 fine and even do amazing enough against high level players. Why? Because in Halo, even an Assault Rifle is a perfectly capable weapon. In some cases, you'd trade any other gun for an Assault Rifle. All the guns have their plays. Some people use shotties, BR's, carbines, plasmas, etc. Even the pistols get use.

Anyway, I was about to spend my day playing Tropico today but now I think I'll just play something else. I'll give it another go tomorrow, but I definitely got discouraged. Up to this point I was enjoying my entire time with the game and now apparently the next "level" of my enjoyment requires me to fight against a wall of difficulty.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

You can do it! We believe in you!  

Yeah I was kind of interested in this game, but considering how complicated it sounds, it kind of frightens me. RTS's in general frighten me.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

Wow, i've never seen that many rebels before... 
    that's pretty insane. 

Also, i don't understand how the soldier thing works in this game, so yeah...i'd struggle with that as well.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond
    @wolf_blitzer85: It's really a lot more like Sim City than a RTS.  You can take the game at your own pace.  Take your time and you'll be fine.

@Kintaro: I didn't even know the game had an online mode.  Protip : don't play Tropico 3's online mode?  I agree with your points, and that experience sounded shitty, so why are you doing it?  Play some single player mode or something.  The game is neat.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Detrian

So you suck at games basically. Have you tried maybe lowering the difficulty or reading a guide or using a cheat before whining a bunch?

Kintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kintaro
    @wolf_blitzer85: Its not as complicated as this challenge, of course. And if you decide to play, try out the Rum strategy it requires little to no micromanagement.

@Shirogane: From what I understand, the soldiers are like special Jobs (highschool for soldiers, college for generals) that need special attention. They want to be paid high and given free housing. So you need to bump their salaries and build an Army Base. Your palace can have up to 4 soldiers and that's usually what you start with. One armory will allow up to 3 generals. (Army Base can add 3 generals as well.) For each general in your employ, you can build Guard posts. Guard posts have up to 3 soldiers. So to build your army you'll need first an Armory or Base, then hire generals, add guard posts to increase soldiers. I haven't quite figured out yet if placement of posts are a big help. When rebels attack my soldiers seem to come from everywhere, but maybe they're just taking a break from their posts.

@Diamond: There's the online "challenges" that you can author and share to the community. Sort of like a campaign creator. There is an achievement (not Steam achievement) for completing an online challenge so I'm sort of invested to at least beat one. You can't technically play online, there is a way to visit posted islands though. (Sort of like visiting the island.)

@Detrian: Its an online challenge set by the author and have leaderboards based on the difficulty setting the author has fixed. You cannot change it. And why would I use a cheat? On an online challenge no less. Plus, why don't you try looking for an actual guide for Tropico 3 because there is none.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Rowr

this is a good game to play an island at a time.  

Are you done with the main game missions?

Maybe try some other online challenges? i'm sure they arent all so bad.

@Detrian said:

" So you suck at games basically. Have you tried maybe lowering the difficulty or reading a guide or using a cheat before whining a bunch? "

This game is no joke when its hard.
    Kintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kintaro
    @Rowr: Yeah I'm done with the campaign now and I'm basically just checking out any features that could keep me playing other than Sandbox. 

I tried another "online challenge" today. I scrolled through all the menus to find a simple, one year challenge and finished it so I got the achievement now. With the variations of difficulty you could create in this game I wish they had a rating system to see challenge difficulties on the onset before you actually start them and find out.  

I'm typing this on a Steam overlay right now while the game is running on the menu. Thinking of either doing my 3 last achievements or just play a random game.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Rowr
    @Kintaro said:
    " @Rowr: Yeah I'm done with the campaign now and I'm basically just checking out any features that could keep me playing other than Sandbox.  I tried another "online challenge" today. I scrolled through all the menus to find a simple, one year challenge and finished it so I got the achievement now. With the variations of difficulty you could create in this game I wish they had a rating system to see challenge difficulties on the onset before you actually start them and find out.    I'm typing this on a Steam overlay right now while the game is running on the menu. Thinking of either doing my 3 last achievements or just play a random game. "

if your really thirsting for more i guess you could always play through again with a different avatar with different perks and try some different strategies you havent tried as far as dictator vs democracy, tourism vs industry etc.

I'm a little demoralised i lost my save game i was 3 or so missions away from finishing the campaign.
    dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By dyong

Can you get a prison/several prisons up and running in a few years? Mass 'vacations' to Florida sounds like the way to go. Maybe this would be a good time to try out martial law, book burning and the other religious tools to help pacify the populace. And perhaps secret police to snipe off every dissident.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warxsnake
    @Detrian said:
    " So you suck at games basically. Have you tried maybe lowering the difficulty or reading a guide or using a cheat before whining a bunch? "
    Quit your whining FFS
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Detrian

Nice job bumping a months old thread, twats.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.