Am I the only person who loved the Turbografx-16?

#1 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person who harbors any love for the Turbografx. Even though the NES, Genesis, and SNES were all awesome, the Turbografx was one of my favorite systems when I was a kid. I own one to this day, and find that many of its games don't date as badly as some of the others from the same generation. Even when I was a kid though, it seemed like nobody else was into it. I think it's the most underrated system of all time. Anybody else feel the same way?

#2 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

you are never the only person

#3 Posted by Winternet (8004 posts) -

Don't you like being the only one? I would love to be the only person who loved the Turbografix-16.

#4 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

Shut up. Just shut up.

#5 Posted by groin (837 posts) -

The answer to the "Am I the only one ________________________" questions is always no.

#6 Posted by jewunit (1054 posts) -

I have recently taken an interest in purchasing a Turbografx-16, but I am in a weird spot. The Wii has a number of the systems best games on it for a decent price. The cost of purchasing a Turbografx-16 console and CD add-on seems prohibitive, but I am interested in getting the unique experience that the console provides. Any advice from people who own a Turbografx-16 or a PC Engine?

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

No. No you are not. There are 7 billion people on this planet and the Turbografix (or PC Engine) sold extremely well in Japan, which is non-coincidentally why all the good Turbografix games are Japan only. Castlevania Rondo of Blood was apparently all kinds of awesome. Otherwise, yes. No one cares about... Bonk?

#8 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -
#9 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

@jewunit:

If you want the system itself and the cd-rom attachment, it will run you around $200 on ebay, which is pretty salty considering the virtual console. But there's a lot you'll miss without the system, because like ArbitraryWater pointed out, a lot of the greatest games were never ported from Japan, and so far the only Japan-only TG-16 game I know of that Nintendo's bothered to release on VC is Dracula X. However, many of those games are insanely expensive because of their rarity. You'd be shelling out some serious cash to get set up to play the imports, and most of the major North American/European library is available through VC. Also, most of the rare, non-VC games are shoot 'em ups, so if you're not a big fan of the genre, I wouldn't even bother.

#10 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

@groin said:

The answer to the "Am I the only one ________________________" questions is always no.

I'm sure I could think of some exceptions

#11 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Would it make you happy if I said you were the only one?

#12 Posted by Kidavenger (3508 posts) -

The TG16 was the first system I bought with my own money and I loved it.

Still have my console and about 10 games, Military Madness was my favorite game for the longest time.

#13 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Yup, definitely the only one.

#14 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -

It was my first console, I got it for Christmas when I was 5 and loved it. I didn't get a Genesis until a few years later so I've always had a greater appreciation for my Turbo Grafx 16.

#15 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@huntad

Yup, definitely the only one.

That's why it failed: when it comes to keeping a system afloat, no one man should have all that power
#16 Edited by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@frankfartmouth: I'm sure many would have loved it if there were more than 12 of them sold.

@AngelN7 said:

#17 Posted by BurningDoom1 (31 posts) -

I loved my TurboGrafx-16. Bright colorful graphics, a great library of games, and shoot-em ups galore! I loved it until my fat as hell cat sat on the controller cord where it plugs into the system, and broke the controller port, rendering my TG-16 useless. It pisses me off to this day. He could have broken the Genesis, NES, or Playstation; but noooo he chooses the hard to find system to break.

#18 Posted by Lukeweizer (2607 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

This. I'm so sick of these fucking threads. Everyone thinks they're so original because they liked 1 thing and then they want to tell everyone about. There's nearly 7 billion people in the fucking world... you're not a special snowflake.

#19 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

I was in a real bad car accident when I was in elementary school. With some of the money left over from the lawsuit (The rest went to medical bills) I bought a TurboGrafix-16. The first games I bought were Bloody Wolf and Legendary Ax. Bonk's Adventure is still my favorite game.

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

@Bell_End said:

This. I'm so sick of these fucking threads. Everyone thinks they're so original because they liked 1 thing and then they want to tell everyone about. There's nearly 7 billion people in the fucking world... you're not a special snowflake.

I'm even more sick of people like you who get upset over them. It's a phase, get over it. I don't think anyone who makes a thread like this actually believes they are the only one, it's a way to spark conversation about a given topic.

#21 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (997 posts) -

@LiquidSwords said:

I was in a real bad car accident when I was in elementary school. With some of the money left over from the lawsuit (The rest went to medical bills) I bought a TurboGrafix-16. The first games I bought were Bloody Wolf and Legendary Ax. Bonk's Adventure is still my favorite game.

Was Bloody Wolf the one where you chose between two characters at the beginning, and then halfway through the game you get kidnapped and you have to use the guy you didn't choose to rescue the guy you did?

#22 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Lukeweizer said:

@Bell_End said:

I'm even more sick of people like you who get upset over them. It's a phase, get over it. I don't think anyone who makes a thread like this actually believes they are the only one, it's a way to spark conversation about a given topic.

The only thing more tired than people endlessly parroting the same topics and language on the threads are the people who go in and complain about the topic, thereby bumping the thread back up so it fails to die an anonymous death.

#23 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

When people ask if "they are the only one" they are not really asking if "they are the only one" so much as trying to get a discussion going. Anyone who gets upset about it needs to chill the fuck out.

#24 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Lukeweizer said:

@Bell_End said:

The only thing more tired than people endlessly parroting the same topics and language on the threads are the people who go in and complain about the topic, thereby bumping the thread back up so it fails to die an anonymous death.

Moral of the story. Complaining is not the answer.

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -
@AngelN7 said:
#26 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Lukeweizer said:

@Bell_End said:

Moral of the story. Complaining is not the answer.

I'm cool with complaining. Sometimes we've all got to vent. But I'll say, complaining about complaining is not the answer.

#27 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Is this reddit? What the fuck is up with all the "am I the only one?", you are not the fucking only one and you are not a unique snow flake. Welcome to reality.

#28 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@BrockNRolla: But now you are complaining about people complaining about other people complaining. If what you say is true then it makes you the worst offender.

Also Rondo is really awesome and everyone should play it.

#29 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (997 posts) -

Am I the only one who thinks it's just me, or am I crazy?

#30 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

Of course you are. The Turbografx was butt.

#31 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Some kid I knew had one. I think he had a game called Keith Courage or something like that. We played it. It was something else to play. That`s about the extent of our love for it though.

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Can you ladies actually address the topic at hand and relate some fucking Turbografx 16/PC Engine memories? Jesus.

Anyway, it was always the ginger step-cousin of the SNES and Genesis to me, I never really desired one until more recently when I want to build up my collection more. Was looking at grabbing a PC Engine Shuttle, since it's a pretty rare variant, and looks cool as shit, even has it's own custom controllers. Only takes Hu cards though, did not have any CD support, so no Ys, I guess? Whatever.

Still... Hu Cards are just about the coolest delivery system for a game ever.

#33 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@LiquidSwords said:

Was Bloody Wolf the one where you chose between two characters at the beginning, and then halfway through the game you get kidnapped and you have to use the guy you didn't choose to rescue the guy you did?

Yup! You rescue the president, but you get captured. Up to the other guy to rescue you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.