Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

TurboGrafx-16

Platform »

The TurboGrafx-16, or PC Engine, is a console that was marketed as the first 16-bit console. It was for some time the market leader in Japan, but failed to capture a large market share in North America. It was best known for featuring the first CD-ROM peripheral, the TurboGrafx-CD. It also introduced features such as a multitap peripheral, internal save memory, and RAM expansions.

TurboGrafx-16

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 12

Edited By Sepultallica86

Does anyone else besides me have a great appreciation for the TG-16. I love that system and always will, I had a genesis growing up, but the TG-16 was my granmas system, and we were over there all of the time and played that when we were there. She had like 40 some games, and i played the hell out of all of them, especially loved neutopia (played it before i even knew zelda, so i have a fond love for it), as well as splatterhouse, blazing lazers, galaga 90, legendary axe 3, devils crush, pac land, mrs. pac land, dragon spirit and many others. I truley respect all of theses games, even if some werent that great, they always have some type of greatness to me. Me and my brothers were the only ones in our town who even knew what a turbografx was, and some friends that came over, and we knew as grandmas game system. I will always love this system, and charish it as well. But then we eventually got a playstation with MGS and marvel super heroes, my grandma moved, and threw it out, and it was the end of it for about 10 years. then a year or 2 ago i started to come back to retro gaming, and love it and collect genesis games, and snes games once again, and me and my older brother remembered the TG-16, and how awesome it was, plus all of the game and stuff she had for it, and she just threw it away like nothing, that just blows are mind now.

But, it just goes to show how much a video game console that isnt very known can hold a special place in ur childhood.

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Sepultallica86

Does anyone else besides me have a great appreciation for the TG-16. I love that system and always will, I had a genesis growing up, but the TG-16 was my granmas system, and we were over there all of the time and played that when we were there. She had like 40 some games, and i played the hell out of all of them, especially loved neutopia (played it before i even knew zelda, so i have a fond love for it), as well as splatterhouse, blazing lazers, galaga 90, legendary axe 3, devils crush, pac land, mrs. pac land, dragon spirit and many others. I truley respect all of theses games, even if some werent that great, they always have some type of greatness to me. Me and my brothers were the only ones in our town who even knew what a turbografx was, and some friends that came over, and we knew as grandmas game system. I will always love this system, and charish it as well. But then we eventually got a playstation with MGS and marvel super heroes, my grandma moved, and threw it out, and it was the end of it for about 10 years. then a year or 2 ago i started to come back to retro gaming, and love it and collect genesis games, and snes games once again, and me and my older brother remembered the TG-16, and how awesome it was, plus all of the game and stuff she had for it, and she just threw it away like nothing, that just blows are mind now.

But, it just goes to show how much a video game console that isnt very known can hold a special place in ur childhood.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I had the same experience with my grandparents NES. I always would go over to their house as a kid and play Super Mario Bros and crap. I eventually got a Genesis but still have never owned a NES or a SNES. I need to buy those at some point.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Contro
    @Sepultallica86: 

Appreciation isn't a word i could use, love is. If you have a Wii or a 3DS (-soon) you should download the classics, Splatter, Devils, Blazing and Dragon Spirit are available.

It may have been little known in America, but in Japan PC Engine was huge - it had many versions and some really great games. Did you ever play the handheld Express/GT?. You should pick up a Japanese machine for cheap and play some of the games that didn't come over to America.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By uniform

Most definitely. Mine came with Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. Took me about a year to save up enough to buy an additional game, which was Bonk's Adventure. I loved the Friday the 13th franchise, so nostalgia is possibly telling me Splatterhouse was a better game than it actually was. I really loved those Ys games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.