Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Twisted Metal

Franchise »

Twisted Metal is a series of car-combat games that lets you destroy vehicles with rockets, flame-throwers, machine guns and dozens of other means. You also got some special moves that are performed like in fighting games, and (like most fighting games) these moves aren't listed anywhere in-game, nor in the manual.

Get Ready for Twisted Metal

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By stackboy

With a new Twisted Metal game coming out next year for PS3 and me not playing any of the previous titles, which ones in the series should I play? Which ones are available on PSN?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

My favorites were Twisted Metal 1 and Twisted Metal Black (PS2).  AFAIK only Twisted Metal 2 is available on PSN but I hear TM1 is coming soon.  Most people seem to prefer TM2 over TM1, but I felt TM2 was very janky feeling compared to 1.

I'd suggest you try Black as that's going to be more solid in most ways.  You'll just miss the amusing FMVs of TM1.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

Play TM1, 2, and Black. There are no other games. I am going to say that again.

THERE ARE NO OTHER GAMES.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Just play Black, it'll closely mimic the new one.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Undeadpool

If you want two games, make it 2 and Black, if you're sticking with just one game, go with Black. Head-On is actually pretty great too, AND it has the bonus of all the original Twisted Metal 1 live action endings that David Jaffe, by his own admission, took super-duper seriously at the time. They are HILARIOUS.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SSully
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Just play Black, it'll closely mimic the new one. "
    Ehh its more dark of a game then the new one. Jaffe said himself plenty of times. I think TM 1 2, or black are all fine to play, but the new game is still going for a very different approach then all of those games. 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SSully: What?  I thought the new one was following Black...that's why I was excited. 

I wanted next-gen child rape, torture, cannibalism, etc...damn I am disappointed now.  Jaffe pussied out.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ideally, you want to see all of the original games, just to understand how necessary it is for this game to be a rousing success lest it fade away entirely.  

The best games in the series are 2, Black, and 1, in that order. But at this point the original and its sequel are sort of difficult to look at. Much less to play. You might be alright just playing Black and getting a sense of the series's humor, and a sense of its mythos. Then again, I feel like the only reason that stuff works so well in Black is because it's a total reinvention of the mythology we'd come to know so well over the course of the previous games.  

Tough question, dude. If you can snag copies of the original two games for cheap, totally go for it. They're really weird experiences, even today. But if your search runs dry there, Black on its lonesome will probably be enough. 

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Vorbis

I'll take any excuse to reminisce about TM2, it was one hell of a split screen game. Also this:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.