So how is the game itself?

#1 Posted by Solh0und (1772 posts) -

I know it just came out today and all but to those that purchased it: What are your thoughts on it?

#2 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

I'm surprised there are no reviews yet.

#3 Posted by SomeJerk (3246 posts) -

So far it's GOTY2012.

Which isn't saying much.

#4 Edited by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

EDIT: Never mind, looks like reviews are starting to go up.

#5 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

It's actually really fun. Rented it this morning. I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time. The single complaint I have is that the character's specials aren't varied enough, but I can see why they might've done that for balancing purposes. Haven't played online because of the online pass, so I can't speak to multiplayer, but the mechanics are solid.

#6 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

Multiplayer is awesome, single player is balls hard and frustrating.

#7 Posted by sixpin (1291 posts) -

@SomeJerk: I disagree, but I've never really like the Twisted Metal franchise.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21629 posts) -

I hope it does well. If this is to be David Jaffe's last ''big'' game, then it damn well act as a great way to send the man off.

#9 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

@DrMcKittrick said:

I'm surprised there are no reviews yet.

It's slightly worrying. You'd think Sony would want to push exclusive games. Not sending out review copies seems like a move of no faith.

Maybe its not that good and Sony has embargo'd the reviews to not go out before the release date.

#10 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Screw that man ... his games suck anyway

#11 Posted by Solh0und (1772 posts) -

Seems to be doing alright in reviews so far. After playing the demo, I'm still on the fence.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (21629 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

no u

#13 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@Aetheldod said:

no u

Don't mind him. He commented on Jaffe's DICE Keynote speech and called him a "fucking idiot", so obviously he is extremely butthurt for unknown reasons.

#14 Posted by Grillbar (1825 posts) -

im allso kinda interested in hearing if its good or not played the multiplayer demo and hated it, so for once i think i will actually wait untill i get some more feedback

#15 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Aetheldod said:

no u

Don't mind him. He commented on Jaffe's DICE Keynote speech and called him a "fucking idiot", so obviously he is extremely butthurt for unknown reasons.

Because he is ... and frankly all this reverence for him as if he was on Miyamoto´s level of creativity and all , the only notable work (if you could call them that) of his are Twisted metal games and God of War and those 2 franchises , dont like them at all and really arent anything special at all.

#16 Posted by huntad (1939 posts) -

Yeah, looking for feedback on this game. I couldn't play the demo and kept getting errors. I have it preordered, but without being able to try it out, I'm not picking it up.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11902 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Aetheldod said:

no u

Because he is ... and frankly all this reverence for him as if he was on Miyamoto´s level of creativity and all , the only notable work (if you could call them that) of his are Twisted metal games and God of War and those 2 franchises , dont like them at all and really arent anything special at all.

Then... wouldn't it make more sense just to live and let live? Is that so fucking hard?

As for Miyamoto's creativity level - those Zelda and Mario stagnation complaints? Yeah, where do you think those come from? Those games are great but they don't honestly do anything new save for a few gimmicks.

As for Twisted Metal and God of War - a lot of people disagree. with you. Nothing's wrong with your opinion, and you can express it, just don't be a fucking asshole about it.

#18 Edited by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

I'm about 2 hours into the singleplayer. It's broken up into various chapters among the game's characters. I just finished Sweet Tooth's. It seems like each chapter takes a little over an hour to complete. There's no indication how many chapters their are. The FMV is surprisingly well produced. It almost feels like a weird amount of effort to give all these characters (whom are ultimately cars that shoot dudes) lengthy intros regarding why they are participating in the contest. Sweet Tooth's cutscenes went on for several minutes. I thought to myself "wow, this cutscene is still going on". Not in a negative way. All the story stuff is entertaining.

Also, the singleplayer is more that just shooting dudes. All the levels have a twist to them. On one stage, all the cars have to stay in a small square fighting off one another. Moving out of the square eventually starts draining your health dramatically.

You can also go through the singleplayer in co-op. Split Screen is supported.

The controls are a little weird to get used to. At first it was hard wrapping my head around holding square for gas. After a complete stage, I warmed up to the controle scheme. I've played a few games of DeathMatch online. The matches ran perfectly. It was, however, impossible to find objective games, or even team games. I guess the community just want to free for all.

#19 Posted by Commisar123 (1792 posts) -

Its good to hear that its at least not awful

#20 Edited by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

@believer258: Im usually of the live and let live but that dude just pissed me off a lot because of what he said at dice .... ok fine I wont comment on this ever again :/ , only because I like you duders a lot

#21 Posted by Drazat (168 posts) -

I may pick this up just for the fact it's not a military multiplayer fps and for that reason it deserves to do well.

#22 Posted by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

I would of... I could go for some more vehicle combat. But no ps3.

Now i really need to see what david jaffe said.

#23 Posted by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

I have fond memories of the old games and this looks good, Just a shame the UK release has been pushed back to next month!

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14824 posts) -

Just finished Sweetooth's story. Great stuff. Now on to Mr. Grimm!

#25 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

So far pretty good, like steve mentioned earlier, the FMV's are quite cool. 2 things that irk me in multiplayer: 1)in nuke it seems near fucking IMPOSSIBLE to find the leaders, and 2) this could very well be my own ignorance, but L1+R1 to jump is EXTREMELY useful, man if i would have known about it in my first couple of matches it would have saved tons of frustration

#26 Posted by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

Multiplayer is amazing, so much stuff going on and the levels are huge! Once you get the hang of the controls the options you have with the weapons and cars really open up for you. MP feels really fresh, much different and a welcome change from other shooters.

Single player is cool, definitely has a very old school feel. The game is pretty hard on higher settings. The live action cutscenes while a bit cheesy at times, are cool and at least unique from other games.

The MP is where it's at so far. Its funny seeing how bad everyone is, you can tell there hasn't been a car combat game out in a while. It's neat seeing everyone start out at a somewhat equal skill level. Although there are certainly some ballers already.

#27 Posted by TournamentOfHate (443 posts) -

@The_Drizzle said:

So far pretty good, like steve mentioned earlier, the FMV's are quite cool. 2 things that irk me in multiplayer: 1)in nuke it seems near fucking IMPOSSIBLE to find the leaders, and 2) this could very well be my own ignorance, but L1+R1 to jump is EXTREMELY useful, man if i would have known about it in my first couple of matches it would have saved tons of frustration

I thought the jumping was awesome too, it kept surprising me that I didn't see other people doing it that much.

#28 Posted by csl316 (8658 posts) -

It's pretty awesome. I figured I see how the online holds up before jumping into single player. It's what I usually do for multiplayer games, and after a match or two I start the story.

But I couldn't stop. And 4 hours later I realized I should get some sleep. Guess the story's gonna wait til the weekend.

Why's it awesome? Fast, tactical, tuned to hell, creative, and fun. I've been playing this series since day one, and I can already tell this will be in the top 3. Will it unseat 2 and Black? The online might make a strong case for it in the long run.

#29 Edited by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Don't plan on picking it up but if i were to it would only be for the SP. 

Just watched a walkthrough and saw all the videos/endings.  The production on the videos were top notch but the stories themselves, especially the endings were "meh" 

The overall ending is pretty kick ass albeit a lil narrow in it's scope.

Is there any reason why the scope was narrowed to just these three characters instead of the traditional, every character has their own story/ending?

#30 Posted by Minion101 (91 posts) -

I think the game is awesome.

#31 Edited by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

:/ single player pounds you into the dirt and makes you want to cry or at least on twisted it does, normals fairly easy

i cant believe they want all gold on the highest difficult to unlock one of the cars -___-.

mulitplayer = awesome people are usually around your skill level its very very fun. also alot of ways you can customize matches, server browser is cool, and the ability to creat your own vehicle skins through photoshop i might add, tons of unlocks aswell

definite buy if your into mulitplayer games, can be hard at first but once you get used to it, it really opens up

#32 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

@spartanlolz92 said:

:/ single player pounds you into the dirt and makes you want to cry or at least on twisted it does, normals fairly easy

i cant believe they want all gold on the highest difficult to unlock one of the cars -___-.

mulitplayer = awesome people are usually around your skill level its very very fun. also alot of ways you can customize matches, server browser is cool, and the ability to creat your own vehicle skins through photoshop i might add, tons of unlocks aswell

definite buy if your into mulitplayer games, can be hard at first but once you get used to it, it really opens up

Yeah, I'd imagine Reaper and some of the other less shielded cars would be impossible to use on twisted difficulty.

So far I'm loving the game it's just my internet and sony's servers that are preventing me from enjoying online.

#33 Posted by noiz (32 posts) -

Didn't get to play much last night but what I did get to play was really fun. Got in a few games online and can't wait to play more. There is a lot to learn but even with just the basics from the tutorial you can have fun with it.

#34 Posted by HistoryInRust (6311 posts) -

Having grown up a fan of the Twisted Metal games--kind of, even, sort of, a little bit a fan of 3 and 4--this game is a blast.

The singleplayer is pretty difficult. It more or less feels like the old games in that, despite the free-for-all conceit of the tournament, all the CPU enemies gun for you all the time. You're left having to play defensively perhaps a little more than you might like, but that's what you're signing up for with this franchise, generally speaking.

Conversely, the multiplayer--while more chaotic and even less structured--is actually a bit more chill. You get unlimited lives in a multiplayer deathmatch (unlike the singleplayer, where you're one-and-done), so you can horse around a bit more and cause more trouble, even if you aren't contributing meaningfully in the grand scheme of things. And that's what I've always appreciated about the series. I've never been particularly good at any of the games, but it's fun to muck around with pals and run over pedestrians.

It comes down to you, as a buyer, knowing exactly what you're getting into. The controls aren't easy to pick up. The CPU doesn't play fair. And you could probably argue that the story isn't too compelling (though I've found it interesting so far, though I'm only about halfway through). But there isn't another game on the market as sadistic or as violent or as emblematic of a bygone era as Twisted Metal. Again, as a fan of the series, that's a deal I'm willing to make. You might not feel the same.

#35 Posted by bwmcmaste (842 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: I find your assessment most amiable.

I remember playing Twisted Metal 2 for a time, but Twisted Metal 3 was where I really got a taste for car combat. Having played several hours of the new Twisted Metal, I can safely say that it is a true return to form. My friend and I used to play TM3 in split screen for hours, and after a few minutes with the new Twisted Metal he provided what I believe to be the best assessment of it: "Yep, feels just like Twisted Metal."

It's a great game, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. The one point I will make that I haven't heard from anyone else is that the soundtrack is absolutely great in Twisted Metal. I salute Mr. Jaffe for giving us old fans one last good kick at the can.

#36 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

This is the best Twisted Metal ever made, and anyone who says otherwise is objectively and unequivocally wrong.

Anyone who complains about modern gaming and can't find something enjoyable or endearing about this product is a hypocrite and a whore.

It is literally just Twisted fucking Metal. They just said fuck it and made a new Twisted Metal game, completely ignoring nearly everything that has happened in the industry since 2001.

And that is incredible.

#37 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I really really like it. It's a ton of fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.