Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Twisted Metal

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 14, 2012

The long-running tournament-based vehicular manslaughter simulator returns with this new entry, exclusive to the Playstation 3.

Sweet tooth's dialogue in Twisted Metal is bad...really bad

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

Please note the video has story spoilers for Twisted Metal

Gamespot have posted a now playing video showing the first hour of the new Twisted Metal. The gameplay looks to be as good as ever but the dialogues and script is really grating. Sweet tooth's lines are long and over drawn and I think his dialogue could have benefited from some editing. The voice acting sounds so stilted and unnatural. I was not expecting genre defining storytelling but they could have done campy in a much better way than they have done. I really hope the other characters' story segments are better. The presentation is great but the dialogue really puts me off.

Also, why does calypso provide the level introductions. He is the main host and the conduit to the contestants wishes, he shouldn't be giving descriptions for health pick ups and garage locations. It just feels off. Imagine a movie villain giving the protagonist directions in a shopping mall-it would feel out of place and disjointed. Calypso should be aloof and hard to reach not fraternizing with the contestants. He could talk to contestants between levels, taunting them or maybe wait until the end when he grants their wishes.

This is just my first impression of the game, I really hope the rest of the content is much better. Take a look for yourself and discuss your opinions on the voice work and gameplay in general.

Thanks.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

In all honesty, Twisted Metal is not something I want to invest myself in. The premise is absolutely ridiculous, and to go along with that, I want to story to show me something absurd and insane before my eyes. This dialogue jars with me.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

You're missing the point if you think his acting matters.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mandude

Why did they hire an actor then, if it wasn't important?

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ViciousReiven

I don't have a problem with it...

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Three0neFive

@FunExplosions said:

You're missing the point if you think his acting matters.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bocam

How was Black's voice acting? I remember liking that story

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ssj4raditz

I don't play Twisted Metal for the story, so eh... whatever.

J0PALACE0K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By J0PALACE0K

Perhaps slightly disjointed but nothing to put me off.

pandasteeler43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pandasteeler43

Was never really into the twisted metal franchise but i was willing to check it out....until i saw the transformers lol

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iPliskin

Saw the gameplay video and it looks like garbage, TMB is still the best TM along with the second one. Also, the graphics fucking suck, everything stinks, the fire looks really crappy and the particles not much different from Black, and that was a PS2 title. And what's with the annoying orange filter in the first level?. But really, what can you expect from a 5 year old + machine?. The only thing i liked is the vehicle models, except for the helicopter(should have been a Huey, Cobra, Viper or Apache), Outlaw looks awesome and love the Ghosbusters like ambulance. Oh and Mr. Grimm looks like Pilatus from Milli Vanilli with mime make-up on *sigh*... in the previous games he was a kick-ass calavera a la Ghost Rider http://j.mp/wmotas but hey! you can't complain, if you do, you're a racist and KKK member, according to David Jaffe.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iPliskin

I agree with OP on the Calypso thing, the guy should act like the psychopath director from Manhunt, he mocks and taunts Cash-the protagonist of the game-, messes with him psychologically.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi
    This is Twisted Metal on PS3...
    This is Twisted Metal on PS3...
    This is TM:Black on PS2
    This is TM:Black on PS2

@iPliskin: You are absolutely BLIND if you think Twisted Metal on Ps3 looks the same as black.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By I_smell

I don't think it really matters, BUT-- Yeah that was really bad.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

This is how Sweet Tooth has always been, this is how Twisted Metal has always been.

I think they did a good job, and I think it serves the game well.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By JazGalaxy

The voice acting in black was also criminally bad. It didn't matter though because the art direction and story elements were so good. I'm okay with calypso explaining the game. I don't think his character is as malevolent as you guys are saying he should be. After all, the characters trust calypso.bthats why they're in the tournament to begin with. They wouldn't be if they thought he was out to destroy them. As for the graphics in the game, they're phenomenal. You have to understand that at any given moment the tags can come unhinged in. Any number of ways and when you're driving through a church knocking down pews or knocked into a movie theatre and tearing up seats... The game looks amazing and just how you'd want it to.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By hbkdx12

As someone who doesn't even care that much about the franchise, i don't think they're all that bad

As far as the calypso thing, a lot of the levels from what i've seen incorporate a lot of gameplay mechanics from level to level that should be explained to the player, narratively speaking, who better than calypso than to explain them?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Cube

@mandude said:

Because they wanted to stay in the 21st century instead of going back to the SNES era? The voice acting in TM was never the main focus, but it's still important to have.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mandude

@Cube said:

@mandude said:

Because they wanted to stay in the 21st century instead of going back to the SNES era? The voice acting in TM was never the main focus, but it's still important to have.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. My point was that if they put voice acting in the game, and then made us watch it, then the voice acting is important. It was in response to what the guy above me said.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RE_Player1

I think it's fine.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainCody

@msavo said:

I think it's fine.

Yeah, why are people bitching? If you really have no interest in their being a new TM game then I don't want anything to do with you people. Go play your brown and bloom shooters instead of crying. Lastly, Sweet Tooth is not the Joker, he never was. What the fuck were you people expecting.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cube

@mandude said:

@Cube said:

@mandude said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. My point was that if they put voice acting in the game, and then made us watch it, then the voice acting is important. It was in response to what the guy above me said.

The voice acting IS important to have. But it's not what draws people to the series. The person before you probably meant it in a way where "it's not the point" of the game.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spartanlolz92

ever figure that the stilited dialogue for sweet tooth is on purpose like how the joker has his unique way of talking in dark knight??

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mandude

@Cube: I understand that, and it somewhat coincides with what I was saying. The game is ridiculous and absurd, and we're sad that the dialogue and voice acting doesn't seem to mirror that lightheartedness, but instead takes a much more in depth approach to it.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By cstrang

Sweet Tooth's dialog didn't bother me as much as Calypso's did.

Also, these dudes need to learn to actually look at the screen when they're playing a game. "How do I fly?" ...Oh, you mean that constant on-screen text saying "Flight: Jump L3+R3" or whatever isn't enough?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cube

@mandude: I disagree. Sweet Tooth says some pretty dumb stuff. He's serious, yeah, but it's not like they tossed out the spirit of the character. He's not the perfect villain. He doesn't say things in a "Joker" sort of way. He never was like that.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mandude

@Cube: What? Joker? I just think the storylines might be taking themselves a bit too seriously. This is the same man who once used his wish to be reunited with a paper bag. Granted, I've only played 1 & 2, so my perception of the character might not be up to date, but those games were firmly planted in the realm of absurd, and I'm just not seeing it here.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spartanlolz92

@mandude said:

@Cube: What? Joker? I just think the storylines might be taking themselves a bit too seriously. This is the same man who once used his wish to be reunited with a paper bag. Granted, I've only played 1 & 2, so my perception of the character might not be up to date, but those games were firmly planted in the realm of absurd, and I'm just not seeing it here.

in twisted metal black sweet tooth is the worlds worst serial killer the story and characters for the game were really really dark. i think there trying to go the same direction for this game

personaly i perfer the other light hearted style like you. but really its all about the gameplay and its fantastic atleast from what ive played of the demo

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FunExplosions

@mandude said:

I don't mean "people don't come to Twisted Metal for the story," I mean that the style they're going for is a style that always has bad acting. Ever see something like Hobo With a Shotgun? If anything, bad acting makes it better. It's also why the soundtrack to the game is awesome; however ironic or unironic it actually is.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mandude

@spartanlolz92: Hmm, I guess that makes sense then. I don't mind a darker approach in all honesty, but with an M rating, I'm apprehensive. But yeah, gameplay as you said looks amazing, and once that's in there, I'm all good.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nottle

My opinion.

This is the first Twisted Metal game I've played. But haven't they all been kind of cool but in a dumb campy sort of way. I think the only person that see's the story as something REALLY bad ass is Jaffe, and even he gets that others think it's camp. Also Sweet Tooth is a weird psycho clown demon, and I think his voice evokes that.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Ghostiet

That's bad? I guess you never heard Dollface in Twisted Metal: Black.

Twisted Metal is going for the pulp, grindhouse, disgustingly dark and self-serious vibes since Black and this is exactly it. I'm fine with that. And Sweet Tooth's not that bad in that video.

Jesus Christ, I have to play that beta fast.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By huntad

I don't find it that bad. I think the writing, itself, can be a little cheesy though. Crave her death? Wut?

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By christ0phe

As someone who never played a Twisted Metal game, this looks dreadful

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By delusionaltool

seriously guys? the acting is bad? its supposed to be bad on purpose its supposed to be a B movie slasher/mad max style game that plays out like a demented horror/slasher flick very GRINDHOUSEish. Its supposed to be this way on purpose....this game is car combat at its finest, the demo is only a taste of the final product David Jaffee wont let us down.... its almost a driving fighting game now with all the mechanics they have added to it alot of strategy to take down certain enemies now really good stuff....

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TentPole

The awful is soooo good!

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#37  Edited By TournamentOfHate

I saw the first few cutscenes of Sweet Tooth's campaign and I really liked them and was genuinely distrubed by them(in a good way I guess haha). I thought all the dialogue was good.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

He's a clown with a flaming head.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By MikeFightNight

@LordXavierBritish said:

This is how Sweet Tooth has always been, this is how Twisted Metal has always been. I think they did a good job, and I think it serves the game well.

Yeah I agree. I actually really liked the stories in Black and found myself playing just to see the next cut scene. From watching the quick look of the new Twisted Metal, I was under the impression that they threw out the idea of telling character stories all together, but while searching for Twisted Metal Black cutscenes on youtube I stumbled across the new ones for this game. I watched them all and I gotta say, they fit well with what Twisted Metal Black was, dark and crazy. I am glad they still put them in, even if it's just three characters, the production value was high. (except for Grimm's mid story cutscene, that preacher is just plain bad.)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By musubi

I absolutely love it. Its got a B-Horror movie cache too it that thrills me to death. I hope the Twisted Metal movie is just nothing but that.

Shoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shoki

It's fine... He's serial killer not an announcer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.