Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tyrian

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released 1995

Tyrian is a computer game developed by Eclipse Productions and orginaly published in 1995 by Epic MegaGames. In 1999 game was re-released as Tyrian 2000, featuring Windows compatibility, an additional fifth episode and bug fixes. The game was officially released as freeware in 2004, and the graphics have been made available under an open license in April 2007.

Retro Game Fun

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

Edited By mzuckerm

When I was in high school at some point, I came across a shareware version of a game called Tyrian that was basically a topdown shooter in outer space, with a story, over-the-top enemies, and terrific customization options.  I played it not too long after I first tried Raptor (a very similar game that was itself pretty popular at the time), and I thought Tyrian blew it away.  At the time I didn't have much money, so I didn't actually unlock the full game, but I must have beaten the first mission a dozen times on the shareware version.  I loved it.  Recently, I found out that a more recent version (Tyrian 2000) is being distributed online and can be played via DOSBox, so I gave it a shot again.  The graphics obviously have taken a hit, but they were very good at the time and certainly still playable.  The story isn't quite as cool as I remember, but the gameplay is still very solid.  Tyrian does a great job of putting a ton of enemies and bullets on the screen at one time, which makes for really frenetic gameplay.  Anyway, if anyone's interested, DOSBox can be found here and Tyrian 2000 here.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

When I was in high school at some point, I came across a shareware version of a game called Tyrian that was basically a topdown shooter in outer space, with a story, over-the-top enemies, and terrific customization options.  I played it not too long after I first tried Raptor (a very similar game that was itself pretty popular at the time), and I thought Tyrian blew it away.  At the time I didn't have much money, so I didn't actually unlock the full game, but I must have beaten the first mission a dozen times on the shareware version.  I loved it.  Recently, I found out that a more recent version (Tyrian 2000) is being distributed online and can be played via DOSBox, so I gave it a shot again.  The graphics obviously have taken a hit, but they were very good at the time and certainly still playable.  The story isn't quite as cool as I remember, but the gameplay is still very solid.  Tyrian does a great job of putting a ton of enemies and bullets on the screen at one time, which makes for really frenetic gameplay.  Anyway, if anyone's interested, DOSBox can be found here and Tyrian 2000 here.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

I've played Raptor too.  Never heard about Tyrian or Tyrian 2000. 

Nice find! Thanks!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow

There's also now OpenTyrian which has been ported to Wii and XBOX.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Ohh, excellent :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.