• 137 results
#1 Posted by bunnyboiler (399 posts) -

I TOLD YOU SO

1 Point to Ubisoft LOL.

Article:

Ubisoft DRM uncracked

Torrent downloaders weep ino their milk

7 hours ago
Unchecked rumours that Ubisoft games Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked have been categorically denied by the games maker.

Ubisoft delivered a statement stating that "while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete.”

Versions of the games claiming to be cracked, payable versions of the DVD began appearing on Torrent sites but it appears that many of those donwloading the cracked versions were left disappointed. It seems Ubisoft's DRM has scuppered would-be cheapskates

The uncracked claim is backed up by postings on a bunch of Torrent sites from gamers who have downloaded the "cracked" version yet were still unable to play it.

"Bwa, bwa, bwa. I cudnt get it to run :(" wrote one poor soul, of his version of Assassin's Creed II.

#2 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Nice. 

#3 Posted by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -

just wait. they'll get it. they are unstoppable. 

#4 Posted by Walreese55 (506 posts) -

Yeah, it hasn't been cracked yet. Then again, this game hasn't even released officially on the pc. It's a bit too early for ubisoft to gloat, and a playable pirated version should come out by next week.

#5 Edited by chickendoughnut (87 posts) -

w/e. it will be cracked sooner or later.

#6 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Pirates Fail To Crack Ubisoft's New DRM yet.

#7 Edited by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

This is certainly not what the comments on Rock, Paper, Shotgun are saying. Loads of people have said it works fine, there's rumours of a fake crack by Ubi themselves, and other conspiracies about Ubisoft damage control (i.e. people from Ubi going on the forums to moan that the crack doesn't work, or Ubi simply capitalizing on those too dumb to install the crack right).

I don't care about SH5 and I have AC2 for 360 so this is just kinda interesting to follow for me. If I did buy AC2 for PC though I would probably download a crack because my internet connection craps out kinda often.

#8 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -

Last I checked it HAS been cracked, it just hasn't been cracked completely yet. Just to be able to play the game while not connecting to their servers is a big step towards a complete crack.
Didn't the same happen to GTA 4, in which you were constantly drunk if you cracked the game? How did that end up for the cheap hobo's downloading it?

It's just a matter of time, in the mean time they still treat proper customers like criminals with their horrid DRM.

#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

Just because they haven't cracked it yet, doesn't mean they won't crack it in the near future. They WILL crack it in the near future.

#10 Posted by Siris (432 posts) -

Hasn't been cracked? My backup copy on 360 works great.. granted its not a "pirated" version of the game, but still. If I can backup my copy of the game just fine, so can others. I have no idea about the PC version, but I know you can never underestimate the "crackers", they can and will come up with a way to fully crack this game, if they haven't already.

#11 Edited by Walreese55 (506 posts) -

The current torrent for it is shit. There are cracks, but they are more complicated than wanted

#12 Posted by MiDNiGHTS (39 posts) -

Unless you work for Ubisoft I don't see what there is to be happy about. I personally don't want to live in a world where I buy a game and yet have to ask permission through the internet whenever I want to play it.

#13 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@Siris said:
" Hasn't been cracked? My backup copy on 360 works great.. granted its not a "pirated" version of the game, but still. If I can backup my copy of the game just fine, so can others. I have no idea about the PC version, but I know you can never underestimate the "crackers", they can and will come up with a way to fully crack this game, if they haven't already. "
The crazy DRM is in the PC version, not the 360 version. 360 version has standard 360 drm.
#14 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

What's so wrong with buying the game? If you can't afford it, buy something else. However, if you have a PC that can run the latest games... you should be able to afford a $50 game.

#15 Posted by Warfare (1634 posts) -

There's a lot of crack in this topic.

#16 Edited by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@Fbomb said:

" What's so wrong with buying the game? If you can't afford it, buy something else. However, if you have a PC that can run the latest games... you should be able to afford a $50 game. "

There is nothing wrong with buying the game. People want to buy the game, but it comes with this bullshit copy protection that stops you from playing the game you bought if your ISP has a problem or you're on a laptop on the train or whatever so any crack that removes that shit from a product sounds good to me. I'm sure a lot of people just pirate the game as well but those people probably wouldn't have bought it if it had magic unbreakable copy protection anyway.
#17 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -
@MiDNiGHTS said:

" Unless you work for Ubisoft I don't see what there is to be happy about. I personally don't want to live in a world where I buy a game and yet have to ask permission through the internet whenever I want to play it. "

Because the people pissed off about this are saying something more like:

" Unless you work for Ubisoft I don't see what there is to be happy about. I personally don't want to live in a world where I buy a game whenever I want to play it. "
#18 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -
@Insectecutor said:
" @Fbomb said:

" What's so wrong with buying the game? If you can't afford it, buy something else. However, if you have a PC that can run the latest games... you should be able to afford a $50 game. "

There is nothing wrong with buying the game. People want to buy the game, but it comes with this bullshit copy protection that stops you from playing the game you bought if your ISP has a problem or you're on a laptop on the train or whatever so any crack that removes that shit from a product sounds good to me. I'm sure a lot of people just pirate the game as well but those people probably wouldn't have bought it if it had magic unbreakable copy protection anyway. "
I wouldn't be pissed off at Ubisoft for creating better DRM, though, just pirates who made DRM necessary.
#19 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

This thread is filled with fail. There are already working cracks on all the major warez sites.

Looks like Ubisoft PR is now expanding to community websites. Get the fuck out.

#20 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

I'm not inclined to take Ubisoft at their word on this one. But Pirates aren't omnipotent. I remember people saying "They will crack it" when DLC was introduced, and being disappointed when Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky was not. 

Still, I think this one isn't nearly as much in Ubi's back pocket as they might like to think. 

#21 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Fbomb said:
" @Insectecutor said:
" @Fbomb said:

There is nothing wrong with buying the game. People want to buy the game, but it comes with this bullshit copy protection that stops you from playing the game you bought if your ISP has a problem or you're on a laptop on the train or whatever so any crack that removes that shit from a product sounds good to me. I'm sure a lot of people just pirate the game as well but those people probably wouldn't have bought it if it had magic unbreakable copy protection anyway. "
I wouldn't be pissed off at Ubisoft for creating better DRM, though, just pirates who made DRM necessary. "
I would, I guarantee there are people who pirate games because of DRM. DRM just causes problems for people who bought the game and lets the people who pirated it play it fine.
#22 Posted by wwfundertaker (1403 posts) -

They will eventually crack it but at least Ubisoft is trying to stop piracy properly.

#23 Edited by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @Fbomb said:

" @Insectecutor said:
" @Fbomb said:

I wouldn't be pissed off at Ubisoft for creating better DRM, though, just pirates who made DRM necessary. "
I would, I guarantee there are people who pirate games because of DRM. DRM just causes problems for people who bought the game and lets the people who pirated it play it fine. "
The problem is no publisher has any idea how well their game would have done if it had Magic Uncrackable DRM (which doesn't exist) or if it had no DRM after release. They can only speculate. Piracy is a good scapegoat for poor sales performance, but it is also a real problem. I'm not sure how you fix it, but there should be one rule: don't "fix it" by inconveniencing those who actually bought the game.

If I ripped this game off I'd probably get a better experience than if I bought it, and that is all kinds of fucked up. I wouldn't PIRATE a game because of DRM, but I would certainly crack it so that DRM doesn't preclude me from playing the game I bought. Piracy and cracking are not the same thing but one does facilitate the other.
#24 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

who cares? pirates are playing this on 360.

#25 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@slantedwindows said:
" who cares? pirates are playing this on 360. "
Fewer pirates.
#26 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

A torrentsite that I won't mention has a working crack for Silent Hunter 5, that I may, or may not, have tested out myself.
This is a bold faced lie by Ubisoft.

#27 Posted by alternate (2704 posts) -

This is one time when you want it to be cracked.  Since they are planning to use the same DRM on all titles it being cracked on one game might be the only thing that gets Ubi to abandon these silly plans.

#28 Edited by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -

Ubisoft is scrambling to make thier DRM seems legitimate, which can't be done.... but you know what CAN be done? Thier crap can be cracked.

#29 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

No PC releases from Ubi in future then. Great. I can do without their shit anyway.

#30 Posted by yani (413 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
But Pirates aren't omnipotent. I remember people saying "They will crack it" when DLC was introduced, and being disappointed when Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky was not. 
...it was.  I don't think it was a priority for them at the time though, so it took longer than expected.  All the DA:O, ME2 and Borderlands preorder bonuses and dlc are up on the internet.  I would be extremely surprised if they don't get this cracked (if they haven't already).  Its a shame really as I kinda like the dlc model but imagine it will suffer just as much from piracy and you'll start seeing more companies not releasing dlc on pc (Ubi with PoP).
#31 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -

As much as I would like to see an uncrackable DRM, the pirates are always one step ahead. Trust me, I know.

#32 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

Yeah, so every site I'm looking at on this one has at least three people posting in the comments about how they know the claim that it doesn't work past the first two levels is dubious from experience. Apparently the issue seems to be in successfully reading and following the directions.    

#33 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Just because they haven't cracked it yet, doesn't mean they won't crack it in the near future. They WILL crack it in the near future. "
This 
#34 Posted by Atlas (2445 posts) -

You mean, there is hope for innocence?

#35 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@yani said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

But Pirates aren't omnipotent. I remember people saying "They will crack it" when DLC was introduced, and being disappointed when Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky was not. 
...it was.  I don't think it was a priority for them at the time though, so it took longer than expected.  All the DA:O, ME2 and Borderlands preorder bonuses and dlc are up on the internet.  I would be extremely surprised if they don't get this cracked (if they haven't already).  Its a shame really as I kinda like the dlc model but imagine it will suffer just as much from piracy and you'll start seeing more companies not releasing dlc on pc (Ubi with PoP). "
Oh geeze, you're right. It took a year though. It was a high priority early on, and then the attention was turned elsewhere. Well, good.  

I really can't say I agree with you on the validity or quality of DLC.
#36 Posted by raiz265 (2239 posts) -
@Lambert said:
" This thread is filled with fail. There are already working cracks on all the major warez sites. "
no proper ones... 

you can play but can't save or something
#37 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@raiz265 said:
" @Lambert said:
" This thread is filled with fail. There are already working cracks on all the major warez sites. "
no proper ones...  you can play but can't save or something "
Care to indicate if you're speaking from experience?
#38 Edited by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

If Ubi wants to discourage "crackers", make the purchased version really desirable  (put in some free posters or whatever) instead of bullshitting legit players who don't have a constant internet connection. 

#39 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -
@Fripplebubby said:
" If Ubi wants to discourage "crackers", make the purchased version really desirable  (put in some free posters or whatever) instead of bullshitting legit players who don't have a constant internet connection.  "
I agree.
#40 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -

They will crack it. We can't expect a game to be cracked so soon though. 

It's not like there's some kindof magical cracker-3000 program out there.

#41 Posted by raiz265 (2239 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
" @raiz265 said:
" @Lambert said:
no proper ones...  you can play but can't save or something "
Care to indicate if you're speaking from experience? "
no, just reading
#42 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@Fripplebubby said:
" If Ubi wants to discourage "crackers", make the purchased version really desirable  (put in some free posters or whatever) instead of bullshitting legit players who don't have a constant internet connection.  "
This implies the pirate has some affection for owning phyiscal things. I think they just wanna play the game for free. Considering that the majority of pirates are probably students and teens who have no disposable income to speak of, maybe they could consider dropping the price or releasing the game split into three separate chunks? I dunno. The PC is too open a platform to ever achieve a total solution.
#43 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

REALLY the devs denies it was been cracked WHAT A SURPRISE!!!

#44 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Well that's good but it won't be long before the pirate gods shall crack open this new DRM like any other one.

#45 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -
@Insectecutor: 

stats or stfu
#46 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

@gosukiller said:

" A torrentsite that I won't mention has a working crack for Silent Hunter 5, that I may, or may not, have tested out myself.This is a bold faced lie by Ubisoft. "  

One of the threads used a picture of "Bagdad Bob" to describe Ubi here.  I really think it's amazing how much they seem to be trying to wag the dog on this one. What are they playing at?

"There are no pirate infidels in our DRC. Never!"
#47 Posted by TheHT (11250 posts) -
@Lambert said:
" This thread is filled with fail. There are already working cracks on all the major warez sites.  Looks like Ubisoft PR is now expanding to community websites. Get the fuck out. "

QFT

it can take a while for proper cracks to come out.
#48 Edited by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@slantedwindows said:

" @Insectecutor:   stats or stfu "

Well on 360 you have to mod the console and on PC you have to download a game. It's common knowledge PC piracy is way ahead of Xbox 360 piracy. I can't back it up with hard stats, but Microsoft banned 1 million modded consoles from live recently. 1 million? That's nothing.

Edit: o here are some stats (halfway down the page).
#49 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@Atlas said:
" You mean, there is hope for innocence? "
No.
#50 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Insectecutor said:
" @Fripplebubby said:
This implies the pirate has some affection for owning phyiscal things. I think they just wanna play the game for free. Considering that the majority of pirates are probably students and teens who have no disposable income to speak of, maybe they could consider dropping the price or releasing the game split into three separate chunks? I dunno. The PC is too open a platform to ever achieve a total solution. "
Really has nothing to do with the price being lowered, it would change nothing.
If your computer is good enough to run the game well, Then your income is high enough that you can afford to buy the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.