Ubisoft DRM auth server down, new DRMed games wont work.

  • 114 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by Leptok (942 posts) -
#2 Posted by PufferFiz (1375 posts) -

hahaha 
 
its funny, Pirates can play this game but paying customers can't.

#3 Posted by Jeffsekai (7025 posts) -

lmao

#4 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

Who didn't see this one coming?

#5 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -

Chalk one up for pirates.

#6 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I for one am glad that ubisoft took the initiative to stop pirates from playing their game for free while rewarding paying customers with servers that kindly store their saved games for them.

#7 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

That sucks for the people that bought it.

#8 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -
@Tactical_Kill said:
"

That sucks for the idiots that bought it.

"
Fixed.
#9 Edited by Beforet (2911 posts) -

This is...pretty funny, actually. Goes to show that they should have a back-up for when this kind of stuff happens.

#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

This is exactly why a lot of people pirate PC games. So they don't have to deal with this bullshit.

#11 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -
@Leptok said:
" @Tactical_Kill said:
"

That sucks for the idiots that bought it.

"
Fixed. "

True. They only have themselves to blame I guess.
#12 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" I for one am glad that ubisoft took the initiative to stop pirates from playing their game for free while rewarding paying customers with servers that kindly store their saved games for them. "
Spoken with all the authority of someone who hasn't purchased either of the new Silent Hunter or Assassin's Creed games.  There's no kindness at play here mate, the save games are only saved at those servers.  Sounds a lot more like heavy handed limitation of freedom to me.
#13 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" I for one am glad that ubisoft took the initiative to stop pirates from playing their game for free while rewarding paying customers with servers that kindly store their saved games for them. "
Well, that's just sad. I've never had any trouble with Steam, which does that for Torchlight and both Left 4 Deads. Hrrmmmm... I smell the scent of a poorly designed piece of crap.
#14 Posted by Aelric (401 posts) -

Strange, I've been logging in fine. Then again, I'm in Korea. I might be attached to a completely different server hub. Though honestly, I'm wondering if the game was worth it anyway. It's a good game, just that I should have figured that the PC version will drop a lot in price quickly due to this DRM stuff and should have waited a month or two.

#15 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" I for one am glad that ubisoft took the initiative to stop pirates from playing their game for free while rewarding paying customers with servers that kindly store their saved games for them. "
Spoken with all the authority of someone who hasn't purchased either of the new Silent Hunter or Assassin's Creed games.  There's no kindness at play here mate, the save games are only saved at those servers.  Sounds a lot more like heavy handed limitation of freedom to me. "
@Aus_azn said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" I for one am glad that ubisoft took the initiative to stop pirates from playing their game for free while rewarding paying customers with servers that kindly store their saved games for them. "
Well, that's just sad. I've never had any trouble with Steam, which does that for Torchlight and both Left 4 Deads. Hrrmmmm... I smell the scent of a poorly designed piece of crap. "
I wasn't being serious, lads. I thought the "stop pirates from playing their games while rewarding paying customers" gave it away since both of those things are so blatantly false.. 
 
But yeah, this is an abortion of a situation, and I couldn't find it any more amusing. Well, maybe if I actually cared about any of the games in this situation, but Ubisoft is horrible and as such I do not.
#16 Posted by bhhawks78 (1201 posts) -

Just another reason why I'd pirate not buy this game on PC if I didn't already buy and play it on 360.

#17 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

this is the type of reason why piracy has gone up. companies say hey lets put DRM so people can't pirate out games anymore. in the end it just screws up people that bought the game. if it didn't have DRM then people would not have this problem. 
 
spore says hey on piracy. it was number 1 pirated game before the release and that had DRM.

#18 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I always enjoy stories of failed DRM.  

#19 Posted by Soulreaverm (62 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said: 
I wasn't being serious, lads. I thought the "stop pirates from playing their games while rewarding paying customers" gave it away since both of those things are so blatantly false..  
If it reassures you, it was pretty obvious to me that you were joking. Apparently I have a finely tuned internet sarcasm detector. 
 
On topic, this is just about the worst way things could have turned out for anyone. Except pirates.
#20 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2906 posts) -

The only question I have at this point is if this was caused by a DoS attack... Either way I can't say I didn't see this coming.

#21 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I knew this would happen. C'mon Ubisoft. Go the way most other companies are going. Put it on Steam. 

#22 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

That's good news, down with this restrictive drm that only affects paying customers.

#23 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:

"I wasn't being serious, lads. I thought the "stop pirates from playing their games while rewarding paying customers" gave it away since both of those things are so blatantly false..  But yeah, this is an abortion of a situation, and I couldn't find it any more amusing. Well, maybe if I actually cared about any of the games in this situation, but Ubisoft is horrible and as such I do not. "

I was thinking it might've been sarcasm but what with the influx of Ubi shills coming into the board to proudly announce that the crackers haven't beaten their DRM (one dude having no posts and saying "I Told You So" was a pretty big giveaway and another stating that Prince of Persia 2008 had no DRM yet was delivered with that awful POS Starforce which was removed in a later patch) I felt I should err on the side of shill defense mode, shields up!   I think it's sad that people support this at all (one guy even went so far as to spend two pages trying to convince people that this was a ballsy move by Ubisoft - I just said it was shit) because it in no way aids the consumer or the industry at large, it's just some money spinner for the DRM provider who gets more money than usual by offering a server service which needs to maintained as opposed to something which is only included with the game itself.  I hope Ubi learns from this debacle and drops the idea of DRM altogether and replaces it with some kind of 'cerberus network' functionality which attracts users rather than scares them off.
#24 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -

man i wish i had an image of a bomb blowing up in someones face.
 
does anyone have one to make fun of ubisoft?

#25 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
"man i wish i had an image of a bomb blowing up in someones face.  does anyone have one to make fun of ubisoft? "

There's that picture of Vinny holding the present box that's blown up in his face from I Love Mondays, if that counts.
#26 Posted by xyzygy (9868 posts) -

And this is why Splinter Cell Conviction will suck on the PC...

#27 Edited by Insectecutor (1176 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:

" The only question I have at this point is if this was caused by a DoS attack... Either way I can't say I didn't see this coming. "

It looks likely, doesn't it? If I was interested in the PC version of ACII I'd buy it and crack it at the first sign of weakness. I think the pirates suck balls, but the crackers are fucking heroes in this situation.
 
Edit: Ubisoft's response: " Due to exceptional demand, we are currently experiencing difficulties with the Online Service Platform. This does not affect customers who are currently playing, but customers attempting to start a game may experience difficulty in accessing our servers. We are currently working to resolve this issue and apologize for any inconvenience."
 
"Exceptional" demand, eh? Also this problem appears to be only affecting Europe, if Destructoid and RPS are anything to go by.
#28 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Insectecutor said:
""Exceptional" demand, eh?"
I'm glad they found a way to spin the story positively for themselves.
#29 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -
@CL60 said:
"This is exactly why a lot of people pirate PC games. So they don't have to deal with this bullshit. "

No, they pirate it because they are leeches.  If they didn't want to deal with it, they would just not play the game.
#30 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

*facepalm*

#31 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
....but Ubisoft is horrible and as such I do not. "
Couldn't agree more.
#32 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine said:
" @CL60 said:
"This is exactly why a lot of people pirate PC games. So they don't have to deal with this bullshit. "
No, they pirate it because they are leeches.  If they didn't want to deal with it, they would just not play the game. "
Too bad Ubisoft is treating their paying customers like pirates.
#33 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@cide said:
" @Atomic_Tangerine said:
" @CL60 said:
"This is exactly why a lot of people pirate PC games. So they don't have to deal with this bullshit. "
No, they pirate it because they are leeches.  If they didn't want to deal with it, they would just not play the game. "
Too bad Ubisoft is treating their paying customers like pirates. "
Meh. I hate Ubi. Ever since the original Rayman, they've never been able to pump out good games, consistently. The only decent games that I've heard them make is the AC series.
#34 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -
@Aus_azn: 
 
Right, except for a few of the Prince of Persia games, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and a few more I'm forgetting.  They put out a bunch of great games, they just aren't your thing.
#35 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -
@cide: 
 
Yeah, it is a bummer that it has come to this, but what did anyone really expect?  They can't just hand it over to the pirates.  Most video games a big chunk of their copies early on, so if they could stop pirates for at least a few weeks, their DRM will be totally worth it for them.   
 
It's terrible that it has come to this, but if people stopped pirating software, DRM would cease to exist.  It is really that simple.
#36 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine said:
" @cide:  Yeah, it is a bummer that it has come to this, but what did anyone really expect?  They can't just hand it over to the pirates.  Most video games a big chunk of their copies early on, so if they could stop pirates for at least a few weeks, their DRM will be totally worth it for them.    It's terrible that it has come to this, but if people stopped pirating software, DRM would cease to exist.  It is really that simple. "
Either you're another corporate shill or just a self deluded individual and while I'm happy to err on the side of latter your passive aggressive tone reeks of corporate dogma.  To say things like "if they didn't want to deal with it, they would just not play the game" is something which flies in the face of human ingenuity because people have always found ways to enjoy the things they purchase despite the barriers imposed on them by the point of sale, creators or publishers.  How many Apple iPod Touch and iPhones are jailbroken?  How many console gamers go and buy third party controls which give them features like autofire and mouse interfaces?  How many sportscar owners use computer hacks and chip upgrades to defeat the speed limiters in their cars? The correct answer to all of those questions is many. You're speaking as if there's only one way to go about things when human experience has proven time and again that people will do what they want with the things that they purchase, even when it flies in direct conflict with supposed barriers and laws which are imposed on those purchases.  
 
It's not terrible that it has come to anything at all.  PCs are not more pirated than consoles, especially not the 360 and Wii who have more combined commercial releases than the total of PC gaming product at present.  Don't blind yourself to the truth, go and do some actual fact finding by visiting pirate sites and you'll see that every single Wii and XBOX 360 title is available for download, not only that but also look at the dates, the majority of those games are made available at least a week before their commercial release dates.   Microsoft's response to the phenominal level of 360 piracy has been to XBOX Live ban hacked/flashed/chipped consoles which are capable running pirated games in waves where Nintendo has only bothered to DRM and otherwise disc check a spare few recent releases yet Nintendo is leading the console race by a fairly distinct margin.  There may be no correlation between the data but it does give one pause to think.
#37 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: 
 
Umm... I like to think I'm not a corporate shill or deluded, but I guess we are all entitled to our opinions? 
  
But for real man, what I'm saying is that if you don't like the stuff they are doing with the game, not playing it is a great option, much better than stealing it.  It is not as if they are stealing food to feed their families, they are stealing entertainment that is crazy affordable as long as you don't need to buy it near release.  You talk about people pirating a copy of the game they bought, but let's be honest here- most pirates do not buy the game and never will as long as stealing it is an option. 
#38 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -
@Tactical_Kill said:
" @Leptok said:
" @Tactical_Kill said:
"

That sucks for the idiots that bought it.

"
Fixed. "
True. They only have themselves to blame I guess. "
*Looks at avatar*
#39 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I've made stuff before, only to have people steal it from me, and I've felt like shit because of it.  I accept that times are changing and the consumer deserves more respect than has been given in the past, but does that really entitle 'elitist' hackers and pirates to anything they please? It goes back to an argument I heard from a friend, that the people who steal these things have nothing worth sharing themselves, so this is how they feed their insecurities. The only difference now is they have people cheering them on. Nice work :/

#40 Posted by Rowr (5474 posts) -

Monkeys could have forseen this. Way to go ubisoft.

#41 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2451 posts) -

This just proves that Ubisoft didn't think this through at all. Valve has a whole server farm for steam, Ubisoft has probably three laptops.

#42 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

Well that was incredibly fast.
#43 Posted by ApertureSilence (1154 posts) -
#44 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine said:
" @SeriouslyNow:  Umm... I like to think I'm not a corporate shill or deluded, but I guess we are all entitled to our opinions?   But for real man, what I'm saying is that if you don't like the stuff they are doing with the game, not playing it is a great option, much better than stealing it.  It is not as if they are stealing food to feed their families, they are stealing entertainment that is crazy affordable as long as you don't need to buy it near release.  You talk about people pirating a copy of the game they bought, but let's be honest here- most pirates do not buy the game and never will as long as stealing it is an option.  "
What about Paying for the Game and then using a Crack to avoid all the bs?  Or did that elude you?  No man, how about you be honest here.  I buy my games but I certainly have used a crack or two to avoid having to pull out a DVD or some similar malarkey and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Funnily enough, even with the DRM which some games have on top of Steam's I never seem bothered by it with a game I've purchased with Steam.  Steam does it right, everyone else, especially Ubi in this case, does it plain wrong.
#45 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2451 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @Atomic_Tangerine said:

" @SeriouslyNow:  Umm... I like to think I'm not a corporate shill or deluded, but I guess we are all entitled to our opinions?   But for real man, what I'm saying is that if you don't like the stuff they are doing with the game, not playing it is a great option, much better than stealing it.  It is not as if they are stealing food to feed their families, they are stealing entertainment that is crazy affordable as long as you don't need to buy it near release.  You talk about people pirating a copy of the game they bought, but let's be honest here- most pirates do not buy the game and never will as long as stealing it is an option.  "
What about Paying for the Game and then using a Crack to avoid all the bs?  Or did that elude you?  No man, how about you be honest here.
In that case, Ubisoft counts the download of the crack instead of those of the game. It's impossible for them to know whether you used it on a legit copy or some fairlight ISO, so they are going to assume the latter by default. PIRACY! PIRACY!
#46 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@atomic_dumpling said:
" In that case, Ubisoft counts the download of the crack instead of those of the game. It's impossible for them to know whether you used it on a legit copy or some fairlight ISO, so they are going to assume the latter by default. PIRACY! PIRACY! "
What?  Ubisoft doesn't count shit man.  Explain yourself please.
#47 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I think this a sign of things to come if this crap continues. These servers aren't going to run forever, I imagine this may happen in a few years too.

#48 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2451 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @atomic_dumpling said:

" In that case, Ubisoft counts the download of the crack instead of those of the game. It's impossible for them to know whether you used it on a legit copy or some fairlight ISO, so they are going to assume the latter by default. PIRACY! PIRACY! "
What?  Ubisoft doesn't count shit man.  Explain yourself please. "
 Of course they take a look at the usual places or they ask an "anti-P2P" company to do it for them. Why wouldn't they?
#49 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

Interesting, because I just engaged in a conversation on this very forum with a guy yesterday whose entire point was "well, gosh, he is always online, so he doesn't give a damn about". I guess he might give a damn now, since it affects him, after all.

#50 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@atomic_dumpling said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @atomic_dumpling said:

" In that case, Ubisoft counts the download of the crack instead of those of the game. It's impossible for them to know whether you used it on a legit copy or some fairlight ISO, so they are going to assume the latter by default. PIRACY! PIRACY! "
What?  Ubisoft doesn't count shit man.  Explain yourself please. "
 Of course they take a look at the usual places or they ask an "anti-P2P" company to do it for them. Why wouldn't they? "
oh right.  I misundestood what you said.  However, cracks can be downloaded from web sites without having to resort to P2P and the like for the whole game.   I think when companies employ anti-P2P organisations, these organisations are more interested in following the breadcrumb trail of a torrent to its initial seeder/uploader such as the case which was brought by Nintendo against a young Australian lad where an out of court settlement was agreed on.   I don't see them caring much of what happens to the cracked executable because it has been argued through courts under and supported under fair usage laws in much the same way as modifiying a console in some countries, moreover they would be hard pressed to validate a claim that a small exe file constitutes a whole game too, especially in regards to claims of theft where hashes are used to verify the origin of a copied game versus a retail product.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.