Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ubisoft Entertainment

Company »

Ubisoft Entertainment (pronounced yoo-bee-soft) is a French videogame developer and publisher, with its headquarters in Montreuil-Sous-Bois, France.

Ubisoft Eliminates Printed Game Manuals

JerryArr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#201  Edited By JerryArr

More manuals should be like Uniracers'.

myghart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#202  Edited By myghart

The last manual I bothered reading was from American McGee's Alice. That shit was beautiful, it also provided a bit of back story in form of a diary, penned during Alice's detention in that asylum. 

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#203  Edited By immike

That kinda sucks. I actually do look at all the manuals and am very disappointed with manuals like the CoD manuals. Manuals forever!

Slugworth5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Slugworth5

Manuals are a must for most sports games with all the different button combos and whatnot. try playing fifa 10 without the booklet and you will never be able to pull off some of the better stuff in the game

Unlogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Unlogik
    @JerryArr:  That manual was epic. I totally jacked it from the rental case :)
    ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#206  Edited By ghostNPC

It's nice but I doubt we'll even see cut costs for games, which Should happen, but it's extra easy dollars for the CEOs to jam into their pockets. 

While I don't use the instruction manuals, they're taking something away from us for free. It's stupid.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#207  Edited By ryanwho

Let me take this minor change in policy to rationalize piracy, idiots around the world reply.

roddy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By roddy72

Man, i will miss them, something about not having manuals come with the package feels kinda weird to me. But times move on i guess, and we have no choice but to move along with it. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#209  Edited By Linkyshinks

What!!!   

It had to be Ubisoft.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Ouroboros

Sounds dumb, personally.  To paraphrase a good quote, and my dad; a job worth doing is worth doing well... 

I love a good game manual.  Now albeit they don't make them as they used to, like Working Designs manuals or even the old classic Jane's manuals for PC games but if they expect me to look at the online version for a manual they must be on drugs; I'm not going to even bother. 

If you're going to put a 6 meg PDF file or something online and expect the casual player to give a damn then we're going about this the wrong way.  If you are truly conscientiousness about the environment and saving money then put the manual on the disk, in the menus or in game.  Don't make us go to some website to view it, that's silly.

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By KimParnage

The game manuals were awesome when the box the game was in was NOT a DVD case.. you know, back when you got a big ass box..?

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By ep_driver

@Bionicicide:
    I rarely actually log-in to post comments anymore, but your post was worth a response. I agree with everything you had to say. I had never even thought about DVDs being in larger cases instead of jewel cases. At least blu-rays are in smaller packaging than DVDs. Also, smaller sized cases would mean being able to fit more inventory on transport vehicles, cutting down on numerous costs and being 'greener' as a result. 

Good comment. Thanks for adding some serious thought to the posts on GB (not that I mind all the usual fucking around people do on here)

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By coaxmetal

Huh... I had forgotten manuals were a thing. I have bought all my new games on steam for a while. Still, I remember (and still have a copy) of the Baldur's gate II manual, that was some quality stuff. Think I might have the warcraft II one somewhere, maybe. Still, surprised paper manuals existed as long as they have. 

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Terranova

Have to agree fully with Jeff,  Manuals use to be great in full colour , art work, tips, some even had small guides in them, now they are just black n white with next to nothing of worth in them, pretty sad to see really so it comes as no surprise that the next step is to get rid of them altogther. most Pc games come with the full manual on PDF so having the manual in game for the 360 / PS3 is more or less the equivalent of that.     
    harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By harinosho

next step. holographic guy/girl telling you the world of warcraft 7

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#216  Edited By jacksukeru

Good move, I never read those things anymore anyways. There have been a few over the years that have been well worth flipping through, but it happends so seldom nowadays that I wouldn't miss them if they disappeared altogether.

DARTH_WADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By DARTH_WADE

This does bother me the manual is a part of the game (packaging) leave it there.  Also I hate when the inside case is just white if I'm going to pay 60 bucks for a game they can have some kind of artwork on the inside.  So all I can think of is that once the manual is gone I'll have two plain ugly white sides to look at.  We deserve more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am torn. On one hand, I am very fond of my old manuals for StarCraft, Baldur's Gate II and Homeworld which were regular books back in the day. However, in the last five years manuals gradually turned into cheap leaflets. Some exceptions exist (the GTA tourist guide shtick for instance), but at this point in time, written manuals are so diminished and meaningless, they might as well scrap them altogether.

So, yeah, I am sad to see manuals go for nostalgic reasons, but I don't think they are a great loss in the year 2010. But for the love of god, give us at least a PDF speadsheet or something. 

The old days
     The old days
    DJbruce92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#219  Edited By DJbruce92

I honestly can not remember the last time I read a manual, So I am actually for this.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#220  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I thought everyone was already doing this.  I mourned the passing of the manual years ago.  Not every manual even in the golden age was that great, but some of them were dynamite.  If it saves on production costs and keeps game producers afloat without them having to sacrifice too many of their own, I'm OK with it.  I'm also OK with manuals being an extra in games that really need them, or being part of the larger bonus package deals they have now. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#221  Edited By Jeust
    @buzz_killington said:
    "

Just say this is to cut costs. "Eco-friendly..." Bullshit!

"
    It's just a measure to improve profits that happens to be environment friendly.  

And they won't lower the price despite lower costs... Greedy bastards.   
    PeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By PeZ
    Does this now mean that all these raggedy black&white manuals and a decent DVD case will become "Collectors Edition" material? Probably yes.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Damian

I've still got my beloved manuals from back when they were truly great companion pieces, so I'm all good. Plus now I won't have to guiltily throw away all those French version instruction manuals.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By BionicMonster

to grandkids: "Back in my day, they would have little books tucked away in the plastic containers where you would find the video game disc. None of these fandangled holly-grams, with your Final Fantasy 47 and your Jungler:The Movie:The Game and what-have-you."

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long gone are the days when few games actually shipped with a real book alongside with the fat manuals.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By darkjester74

I do miss the days of great manuals, but as Jeff pointed out those days ended a long time ago.  I never understood the point of printing the 4 page manuals they included in most releases these days anyway.  I suspect that eventually they will stop bothering making the electronic manual and be done with it.

Satsugai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#228  Edited By Satsugai

I kinda just flip through them nowadays, if only because I like that fresh printed smell. I also remember the manual for Alundra having the answer to a puzzle I couldn't quite wrap my head around. Oh, you have to stack the sun on top of the moon. Of course!

MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By MarcusOfLycia

Starcraft has one of my favorite manuals. Honestly... wouldn't have been the same experience without dozens of pages of history and explanation about things.

Games (at least on the PC), used to be like records: the boxes were huge and were practically works of art. Now we're reduced to tiny, DVD sized containers and tiny, DVD sized images. I went out a couple weeks ago and picked up Duke Nukem 3D in the original box at a good will... and it just made me miss the old style that much more.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Jimbo

It's more like 'putting them out of their misery' at this point.  It's sad that manuals have to go, but really they've been gone or going ever since they downsized PC boxes - and how long ago was that?  Ten years?

They used to be glorious, now they're just "Here's what a 360 controller looks like.  P.S.  If you have an eppy fit whilst playing this game, don't say we didn't warn you."  You hardly even get a decent 'Guns Page' anymore.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#231  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Old school game manuals were awesome, almost like mini books full of fiction and useful information. Nowadays they basically just give you "health and safety" information and disclaimers.

Light_Geiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Light_Geiger

gone are the days of working designs epic box sets, RPG posters, and strategy guides with most releases. Hell, only rockstar puts maps with GTA series anymore (and their manuals typically look like a pamphlet for that games city) sad to see them go but they are usless in most games anyway...
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#233  Edited By MeatSim

Not big deal I haven't look at game manuel in years.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By kagekage

Manuals have, and always will be, fer yelle' bellies.

Justice0320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Justice0320

What am i gonna read on while i'm on the crapper now? seriously, i agree they are not what they used to be, i used to read them cover to cover before ever playing the game. now they are obsolete, hence i only have a look when i'm sitting in a small uninteresting room and i've finished with all the shampoo bottles. 

I'd much rather see companies make an effort to give us the works of art they used to provide rather than just giving up all together.

renwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By renwood

Won't miss them. Ubisoft's motivation is hardly as innocent as desiring to go green, but that is a positive side-effect of this move, so good on them.

ScubaStoobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By ScubaStoobie

I actually really enjoy a well made booklet inside of the games, especially if it entails more than a how to play and a contact us section.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Organicalistic_

They should make the games cost less now

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#239  Edited By GozerTC

I'm perfectly fine with this, I just wish they didn't call it a "green" manuver when it's just simple economics.  No one uses them so why print them?  They're gone fine.  I haven't seen a good one in a long time anyway. 
    EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By EvolutionX0
    hmm, well what happens if some people doesn't have the internet connection? and i know most games just have 12 pages or less but a lot of people actually like a manual in there games.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#241  Edited By Shadow

Game manuals have gotten so small and shitty, that there's really no need for them anymore.  I'd be fine with getting rid of them completely.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#242  Edited By Meowayne

What an interesting article by the crew who regularly exhibit in Quick Looks just how dearly needed manuals are.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By raiz265

I remember times when manuals were awesome and actually helped you play the game. 

Now they are 10 pages max. anyway and just give you a short breakdown own what your buttons do.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By raiz265

I remember times when manuals were awesome and actually helped you play the game. 

Now they are 10 pages max. anyway and just give you a short breakdown own what your buttons do.  

@Meowayne said:

" What an interesting article by the crew who regularly exhibit in Quick Looks just how dearly needed manuals are.   "  

Also this. Sometimes I watch QLs and just facepalm.
    onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#245  Edited By onan

@raiz265 said:

@Meowayne said:

" What an interesting article by the crew who regularly exhibit in Quick Looks just how dearly needed manuals are.   "  

Also this. Sometimes I watch QLs and just facepalm. "

I dunno. They could easily just bring up the option menu and look at the controls, but that doesn't make for good video, unless you want to watch someone dick around in the button customization screen instead of seeing actual gameplay and banter. They do pretty good considering they're not paying attention at all to the game because they're too focused on making it entertaining. I mean, I know some people who play worse while *concentrating*.
    TruthOasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By TruthOasis

Ubisoft, I understand that manuals are a waste and I have probably not looked at one in years but if your going to take them out, at least have the balls to tell us gamers your removing it for cost reasons instead of trying to make it look like you are so holy.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#247  Edited By WickedCobra03

I still read them.  I was actually just reading though the Halo 3: ODST one last week sometime while waiting for a multiplayer match to start.  That one was really well done.

Senile_Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#248  Edited By Senile_Kyle

I think ubisoft and EA games can get rid of theirs, they are black + white, and they are always only like 5 pages, pretty much so the controls and thats it.  Now other companies, especially japanese ones, like square-enix or atlus, always have full colored ones that are like 20-30 pages.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#249  Edited By dietmango

I guess if they think it helps the environment, go for it. I only kind of treated the manuals as part of a collector's item of some sort; I never really deemed them important, since a game has those tutorials and additional information in-game anyway. No need to print manuals that nobody reads anymore.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By jos1ah

HAHAHA How insulting that White tries to spin this money-saving maneuver by Ubisoft as a "green initiative".  I mean, maybe he's just a fuckin idiot. Maybe he's a whore turning tricks for the highest bidder. Who knows? 
    Anyway, if Ubisoft passed a share of those savings, however small, onto the consumer I'd be more in favor of the move...That ain't gonna happen.  But if it helps em make better games then whatever. As it is, most game manuals have been shit for years.  I have fond memories of the days when, like Jeff, I'd pour over every detail in the manual whenever I couldn't get my grubby mitts on the game. I even made use of the "notes" sections every once in a while. For example, with Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES I kept track of my major records there (Barry Sanders, over 1,000 yds rushing in a SINGLE GAME, baby).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.