Ubisoft's Combating Piracy Again

#1 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -

It appears that Ubisoft is combating piracy yet again. Those who pirate the DS version of Michael Jackson: The Experience won't exactly be playing the standard game. The touch controls will be disabled and all music will sound very similar to blasting vuvuzelas. At least it's better than their AC 2 piracy combating.  What do you guys think?

[Article]

#2 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

Always a way around it. Just give up.

#3 Posted by MythDarK (546 posts) -

Tbh, I rather play Michael Jackson: The Vuvuzela Experience.

#4 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I <3 Vuvuzela.   

First thing I do when I go to Europe, is play that on the train and crap.  Europe loves soccer, so I shall love it too.

#5 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -
@MythDarK: Haha yes. That would be much better. 
#6 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@MythDarK said:
" Tbh, I rather play Michael Jackson: The Vuvuzela Experience. "
#7 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@norton123: 
What?! No! Not Michael Jackson the Experience! On the DS?! DAMMIT! 
/end sarcasm
#8 Posted by Entus (253 posts) -

Didn't somebody do something similar to a DS game before?
And then the pirates just modified the ROM and plastered their names on every menu screen.

#9 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

The Michael Jackson DS game? My guess is that anyone who can't get the ROM to work will just shrug and move on.

#10 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Yeah I bet it's already patched out by now, although now I want to try it just to hear the vuvuzelas...

#11 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
" Always a way around it. Just give up. "
NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER! 
#12 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
You're saying the pirates will just beat it?
#13 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -

Who would want to pirate that?

#14 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@norton123 said:
" It appears that Ubisoft is combating piracy yet again. Those who pirate the DS version of Michael Jackson: The Experience won't exactly be playing the standard game. The touch controls will be disabled and all music will sound very similar to blasting vuvuzelas. At least it's better than their AC 2 piracy combating.  What do you guys think?

[Article] "
I don't understand.  If the game is able to detect if it's pirated or not, how about they just make it not fucking work?
#15 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

See, at least that isn't a method that leaves the actual legit end-user with product that may not do what it wants (as in the case with the whole draconian DRM thing that Settlers and AC2 has) 
Hell, this is actually kind of hilarious.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

Wait, what? It's on the DS too? Christ.

#17 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" I <3 Vuvuzela.    First thing I do when I go to Europe, is play that on the train and crap.  Europe loves soccer, so I shall love it too. "
Football, as it's known in the rest of the world. If you don't want to get beat up that is. Unless you are looking for a story that is. Just don't go to English Premiership league game and call it soccer.
#18 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

holy shit ubisoft have cracked (sick pun, bro) it. no more piracy! 

oh wait i forgot that these things are circumvented within hours.

#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

that'll show 'em

#20 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar said:
" @norton123 said:
" It appears that Ubisoft is combating piracy yet again. Those who pirate the DS version of Michael Jackson: The Experience won't exactly be playing the standard game. The touch controls will be disabled and all music will sound very similar to blasting vuvuzelas. At least it's better than their AC 2 piracy combating.  What do you guys think?

[Article] "
I don't understand.  If the game is able to detect if it's pirated or not, how about they just make it not fucking work? "
I believe the reason is that if people pirate the game and it doesn't work, those people will go on message boards and decry the game as broken.  Ubisoft will say they pirated it and they'll probably deny it and it ends up hurting Ubi because potential consumers might actually be deterred by people saying their "legitimate" copies are broken.  Instead, if someone comes on a forum and says all of the game's sounds are vuvuzelas, they'll be laughed out.
#21 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" @gamb1t said:
You're saying the pirates will just beat it? "
this time around they actually might 

/mj references continue
#22 Edited by zameer (606 posts) -

I think it's become clear that safeguards like this will only make pirates more eager to crack these games. The warez community pretty much regards their successful AC 2 crack as a huge scalp.

I'd say the most effective way to combat piracy is well.. creating compelling MP-play.

#23 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (884 posts) -

This is how Piracey Protection should be done. Glad we see more of this. The only other game I can remember who did this was the whole "no-glide" in pirated Batman: Arkham Asylum. Not only is it funny as hell, but it also really makes fun of the "legitimate" customers who found bugs in their "bought" game who come crying about said bugs on forums.

#24 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:
" @norton123 said:

[Article] "
I don't understand.  If the game is able to detect if it's pirated or not, how about they just make it not fucking work? "
I believe the reason is that if people pirate the game and it doesn't work, those people will go on message boards and decry the game as broken.  Ubisoft will say they pirated it and they'll probably deny it and it ends up hurting Ubi because potential consumers might actually be deterred by people saying their "legitimate" copies are broken.  Instead, if someone comes on a forum and says all of the game's sounds are vuvuzelas, they'll be laughed out. "
I think it would make more sense to have it not work, and have some kind of message along the lines of "Fuck you for pirating."
#25 Posted by eagles_band (159 posts) -

WHAT!? Ubisoft doesn't wanna give away their games for free? 

#26 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -
@Durandir said:
" This is how Piracey Protection should be done. Glad we see more of this. The only other game I can remember who did this was the whole "no-glide" in pirated Batman: Arkham Asylum. Not only is it funny as hell, but it also really makes fun of the "legitimate" customers who found bugs in their "bought" game who come crying about said bugs on forums. "
Except that that no glide thing was "cracked" before the game was even released for sale. 

Sure, it's funny, but you really can not make a successful form of piracy control that does not hurt the legitimate consumer.
#27 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" @gamb1t said:
OOOOOOOOOO I C WUT U DID THAR!!!
#28 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

People are really pirating Michael Jackson for the DS?

#29 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

Damn! I was totally gonna pirate the DS version of this game too >:I

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @Jimbo said:
" @gamb1t said:
OOOOOOOOOO I C WUT U DID THAR!!! "
*Tips hat and moonwalks out of thread*
#31 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Who would want to play that game free?

#32 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
Always a way around it. Just give up.
So useless... Someone will find a way to bypass it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.