THQ Makes Us Think Mario Paint With New Wii Tablet Peripheral

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Here's a hip treat for those of us who still fondly remember stroking a Mario Paint mouse: THQ's uDraw GameTablet. The just-announced Wii peripheral is an art tool, targeted to kids and adults who like to sketch or color. It's not a Mario Paint mouse by any stretch, but it's may be as close as we get this generation. 

According to a recent press release, the tablet will be supported a crop of specially designed THQ-published games. It also appears as if other developers can step in and use the device for their games if they desire, which definitely didn't happen with Mario's mouse.

The first software for the device, uDraw Studio, will be bundled with the tablet. There aren't any specifics on the title out there, but THQ CEO Brian Farrell said in a statement that it will focus, shockingly, on drawing. You'll be able to save those drawings with an SD card courtesy of an on-board slot.  

Two other games priced at a meager $30 will launch alongside the bundle this holiday season: Pictionary and Dood's Big Adventure.

The uDraw GameTablet bundle will retail at $70 this holiday. The European release date is still up in the air: THQ is not willing to commit to anything more specific than 2011. But if it's support you're worrying about instead, rest a little easier. THQ has pledged that tablet titles are slated to come in "2011 and beyond." That, sadly, didn't happen with the Paint mouse, either.

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Here's a hip treat for those of us who still fondly remember stroking a Mario Paint mouse: THQ's uDraw GameTablet. The just-announced Wii peripheral is an art tool, targeted to kids and adults who like to sketch or color. It's not a Mario Paint mouse by any stretch, but it's may be as close as we get this generation. 

According to a recent press release, the tablet will be supported a crop of specially designed THQ-published games. It also appears as if other developers can step in and use the device for their games if they desire, which definitely didn't happen with Mario's mouse.

The first software for the device, uDraw Studio, will be bundled with the tablet. There aren't any specifics on the title out there, but THQ CEO Brian Farrell said in a statement that it will focus, shockingly, on drawing. You'll be able to save those drawings with an SD card courtesy of an on-board slot.  

Two other games priced at a meager $30 will launch alongside the bundle this holiday season: Pictionary and Dood's Big Adventure.

The uDraw GameTablet bundle will retail at $70 this holiday. The European release date is still up in the air: THQ is not willing to commit to anything more specific than 2011. But if it's support you're worrying about instead, rest a little easier. THQ has pledged that tablet titles are slated to come in "2011 and beyond." That, sadly, didn't happen with the Paint mouse, either.

#2 Edited by xxizzypop (578 posts) -

Mario Paint: Wii Edition needs to happen.

#3 Edited by Regals (23 posts) -

So close.

#4 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

cant i just use my normal tablet?

#5 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1162 posts) -

This looks like a waste of money, I'll stick with my dsi

#6 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3716 posts) -

More useless peripherals for Nintendo consoles!

#7 Posted by Stubee (383 posts) -

Its like paper! But waaaaaaaay more expensive!

#8 Posted by Deadlegends (3 posts) -

Oh god.

#9 Posted by PilotXIan (103 posts) -

Lovely artifacts in the audio of this video!

#10 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

If it's 1 thing the Wii needed more it was another peripheral. Yay!

#11 Posted by Xeiphyer (5613 posts) -

You know, if there was a Mario Paint coming with this, i'd be totally stoked for it.

Also, Yay more peripherals! I hope those games have Wii Speak support!

#12 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

I woke up this morning thinking that the Wii needed more NWA.
Lo and behold, motherfuckers!

#13 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

The best thing that is ever going to come out of this is that a NWA sample is in here.

#14 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -

I might buy this.

#15 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -

Interesting.
I loved me some Mario Paint, that mouse peripheral was boss.

#16 Posted by billysea (103 posts) -

Why can't they make it for the DS instead?  Touch screen tablet is no longer a novelty as all handheld devices have one nowadays.

#17 Posted by JoeyIA (663 posts) -

Ugh, this makes me really miss 'Win Loose or Draw' for the NES.

#18 Posted by Eden_Obscured (5 posts) -

What a horrible song.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@billysea said:
" Why can't they make it for the DS instead?  Touch screen tablet is no longer a novelty as all handheld devices have one nowadays. "
Drawing on the DS touch screen versus using a pad to draw on a full-size TV?  I'll take the TV.
#20 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

man i am not feeling the song for that video...

#21 Posted by HeghmohQib (186 posts) -

spent hours playing the fly swatter game.  about 10 minutes actually making something somewhat creative.

#22 Edited by toots (479 posts) -

tobacco reference 
and
wacom tablet for retards  

#23 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

If it's only $70 then it must be a completely piece of shit. 

Even the cheapest ACTUAL tablets are somewhere in the range of $200 new, and those aren't exactly precise.

#24 Posted by navyboy (84 posts) -

I'll probably will never buy this but if I did it looks like people that are left handed like myself are out of luck. 

#25 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

another plastic addon for the wii. i would have never guessed it was possible.

#26 Posted by futrstyl (19 posts) -

I could not be less interested in this.

#27 Posted by futrstyl (19 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: Well, Wacom tablets that only accept pen input are only around $70 new, so this price point for a "toy" is actually kind of high.
#28 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

crayons and paper do the same thing. this is where they cross the line IMO.

#29 Posted by Deusoma (3032 posts) -

Oh wow, I totally forgot that when this announcement was posted, I went "oh hey, that's kinda cool, maybe some people will get some fun out of that." Seemed so harmless at the time, and now here we are and this stupid tablet's gone and cut the legs out from under THQ. What a shame. :(

#30 Posted by CaptainCody (1521 posts) -

@Deusoma said:

Oh wow, I totally forgot that when this announcement was posted, I went "oh hey, that's kinda cool, maybe some people will get some fun out of that." Seemed so harmless at the time, and now here we are and this stupid tablet's gone and cut the legs out from under THQ. What a shame. :(

You bumped this and made me think Brad Nicholson was back, fuck you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.