Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UFC 2009 Undisputed

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 19, 2009

UFC 2009 Undisputed is a mixed martial arts fighting game developed by Yuke's Osaka, developers of the WWE SmackDown! games. It is the first UFC game to be released under the licensing agreement signed with THQ.

Standing and striking is pretty pointless?

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flushes

Anyone else notice that there is almost no advantage at all to standing and striking? Slams are a one-in-three guessing game that results in more damage than ten standing strikes, and are incredibly easy to perform. When on top on the ground, you can throw strikes and transition block at the same time with only a rudimentary understanding of the ground game. On top of that, standing strikes are no more likely to cause flash KOs than strikes thrown from the top when grounded, and are run the risk of getting you caught into a clinch and slammed for more damage than you could possibly hope to cause while striking. We all know that it's practically impossible to recover once a very skilled player takes you down. I guarantee the competetive scene for this game will feature absolutely no standing strikes in any situation. I would say Yuke's should have a look at the balance in this regard, because the game is becoming pretty one-dimensional very quickly. Any thoughts?

mahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mahi

I think it all depends on the fighter.  If I'm using Chuck or Rampage i can strike and do damage.  On the other hand if I'm using Lyoto or Damien Maia i cannot for the life of me stand and strike against anybody with skill.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Subway

You can easily witn a fight with only standing strikes, you just have to be good at defending takedowns, which really isn't too difficult.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix

If you have good striking skills and are using a good striker, you can smash on guys standing and win fights.  It's not my game, personally, but I've faced some guys who knew how to stand and strike and defend against my takedowns and clinch game and worked me pretty good.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Flushes

It seems that the way to win with standing strikes is to enter that weird thing where your strikes are timed in such a way that the other guy is kind of stuck there... I'm sure you've had it happen to you before. You kind of stand there and get hit 10 times and can't back up, block correctly, or seemingly do anything. I think maybe if you do nothing but strong strikes, it stuffs the animation of anything the other fighter does? I'm not sure how it works, but something happens when you're getting hit in a certain way that prevents you from moving backwards.

mahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mahi
    @Flushes said:
    " It seems that the way to win with standing strikes is to enter that weird thing where your strikes are timed in such a way that the other guy is kind of stuck there... I'm sure you've had it happen to you before. You kind of stand there and get hit 10 times and can't back up, block correctly, or seemingly do anything. I think maybe if you do nothing but strong strikes, it stuffs the animation of anything the other fighter does? I'm not sure how it works, but something happens when you're getting hit in a certain way that prevents you from moving backwards. "
    Yes, that's the only thing i hate about the striking game, you just feel helpless.  Sort of the feeling i get when I'm in a muay tai clinch catching knees like i owe the guy money.
    stealthdf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By stealthdf2
    @Flushes said:
    "It seems that the way to win with standing strikes is to enter that weird thing where your strikes are timed in such a way that the other guy is kind of stuck there... I'm sure you've had it happen to you before. You kind of stand there and get hit 10 times and can't back up, block correctly, or seemingly do anything. I think maybe if you do nothing but strong strikes, it stuffs the animation of anything the other fighter does? I'm not sure how it works, but something happens when you're getting hit in a certain way that prevents you from moving backwards. "

why are you even still playing this game when all you are going to do is cry about the "lag" and all kinds of other BS that translates to "I suck at this and feel as i need to blame the game"   why dont you shutup and try to play ina competitive league? i have been and there are tons of stand up fights. did you ever think some people dont want to g oto the gound so they make their fighter a boxer with well rounded ground skills. This game is so deep that there are tons of scenarios and things to think of when playing, but it seems you only want to think of certain scenarios and claim thats the end all of it.
    maybe is everysingle player and opponent you faced was of the same skill level then what you say would be true. however that isnt the case, so you will find people with strengths and weaknesses in their skill level so you must be able to exploit a fighter weakness in his stats and also the players skill level.
    if you know how to use the game and the techniques to their fullest then you can get out of any situation.

onyour back with a guy in full mount that wont let go of the transistion block and keeps slamming you in the face?  just block and punch him back and he will have to do something different as in block back or change his combo up from high to low and then that is your window of opportunity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.