Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UFC 2009 Undisputed

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 19, 2009

UFC 2009 Undisputed is a mixed martial arts fighting game developed by Yuke's Osaka, developers of the WWE SmackDown! games. It is the first UFC game to be released under the licensing agreement signed with THQ.

What is your "game"?

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Merx

Hey guys.

This game is awesome, but going online you will quickly find out peoples "game".  I know that different strategies exist from the fighter types, but there is definatly the player who is good at standing up but not great on the ground, others who are total ground and pound by full mounters like myself (since alot of people dont know how to full mount... yet). Then there are people who go for submission after submission until its not your fighter that wears out, but your thumb muscles.

So whats your game?

Btw, quick tip: As a rule, NEVER fight a guy using a custom character. If you do, check their stats beforehand. I just leave a session at the player select screen if I see a guy with a custom character who has 94 in submission offence and takedown offence and 80% of their wins are from submission, because you just know they are gonna get you on the ground and submission you with their lame weighted custom char.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I find it fun to stand up and throw punches, but if I'm serious I go almost exclusively with the ground game. As you said most people don't yet know how to stop it. Plus getting a takedown is pretty satisfying.

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Merx
    @JJWeatherman:  Whats the best way youve found from getting out of a full mount position? I find trying to catch their punches is a lottery at best and turning them over isnt always successful. If somebody is punching off-beat (ie, giving no rhythm to their punches so you cant predict, like I do to other people) its almost impossible.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm pretty tentative in the stand up game, actually.  If I've got a guy well measured, I'll throw at him, but when things get hairy, I got right into the clinch.  Personally, my game is to get into a clinch and brutalize the opponent a lot.
    I also like to pull guard with BJJ fighters.  I'm definitely pretty comfortable on the ground, and ground and pound is my fallback plan, but a lot of times if I pull guard, I'll play loose defense and let the other guy throw punches to gas himself, then try and lock in the submission.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Merx said:
    @JJWeatherman:  Whats the best way youve found from getting out of a full mount position? I find trying to catch ... [more]
    Well I haven't played it a ton, and most of the time my friends kind of suck so usually I am on top in mount. But I think if you do a major transition when you are mounted you can bring it back to half guard. From there its pretty easy to defend and eventually get out. Of course the transitions are a bit tough to pull off, especially when a dude has you mounted and is trying to hammer fist you into a coma. lol.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vaiz

i personally keep my guard up and try to stay just out of range from the other guy, wait for the moment that they throw a strike that I'm too far away from them for it to hit, and then go in for a few body-head combos, leg kicks occasionally, or a clinch. I'll generally only take someone down if they're an crazy well-timed striker, simply because the grappling controls can be damn frustrating at times.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Karmum

I'm more of a kick-first guy, and will go for the occasional punch every now and then. Combinations of kicking and blocking with some evasion, of course. I haven't mastered the remaining of the controls in UFC 09, because submissions and grappling on the ground is totally ass-backwards.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lowbrow

I have my custom fighter, and he has his upsides and downsides, hes a  boxer with strong hands, definite KO power, but I love his BJJ - it makes you a squirly motherfucker, giving you the ability to pull off submission attempts from the clinch and from full guard defensive through the Rubber Guard, plus transitioning from  rubber guard to a full mount and pouding a dudes face in with hammer fists.... satisfying.

mahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By mahi

i take it to the ground right off the bat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.