Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UFC Undisputed 2010

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 25, 2010

UFC Undisputed 2010 is the second installment of the UFC Undisputed franchise.

It's official (kinda)- EA MMA vs. UFC 2010

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hot_Karl

Word on the street (the hard ass streets of the internets, yo!) is that UFC Undisputed 2010 will make its debut during the VGA awards on Spike. Not a surprise that a best-selling fighting game that has a year after the title will be getting a sequel.

I would like to pose a question to all you guys out there: what would you like to get your hands on more? I know that UFC is a stellar, well-known brand, and THQ straight up killed it last year.
    But I would really, really like to get my hands on EA Sports MMA, just to see how it plays and compares to UFC 2009. EA MMA certainly has a ton to prove, but if they take what made UFC so awesome (the brutal fights, the deep control scheme, the fun multiplayer) and fix its faults (the wonky animation, the bland career/create a fighter mode), I would see myself switching.

Also, is it kinda cool to see direct competition with sports games again? Ever since the Madden exclusivity debacle of 2005, there hasn't been an epic, straight up sports video game competition (yeah, NHL & NBA games do go head to head, but only the football games really sold competitively at such a high level). This scratches that itch to an extent.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

UFC all the way, i have no idea beside Fedor any fighters EA can even use. I'm not way into MMA so i really don't care about anyone outside of the UFC so EA won't be getting my money.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @zombie2011 said:
    " UFC all the way, i have no idea beside Fedor any fighters EA can even use. I'm not way into MMA so i really don't care about anyone outside of the UFC so EA won't be getting my money. "
    That's basically how I feel about it.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Absurd
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " UFC all the way, i have no idea beside Fedor any fighters EA can even use. I'm not way into MMA so i really don't care about anyone outside of the UFC so EA won't be getting my money. "
    That's basically how I feel about it. "
    and me as well.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " Ever since the Madden exclusivity debacle of 2005, there hasn't been an epic, straight up sports video game competition  "
    The yearly shiton of PES vs. Fifa threads on every major game website say hello. 
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @Black_Rose: 

I agree that those competitions are still out there. But FIFA and PES (at least in the States) do not sell or compete nearly as much as Madden & the 2k series back in the day.   So when I say "epic, straight up sports video game competition", I'm referring strictly to the sales figures in the US.
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By George_Hukas

EA's MMA is going to have some obscure fighters but can easily become the next best MMA fighting game if Undisputed 2010 doesn't drastically expand on its fighting system.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Black_Rose
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " I agree that those competitions are still out there. But FIFA and PES (at least in the States) do not sell or compete nearly as much as Madden & the 2k series back in the day.   So when I say "epic, straight up sports video game competition", I'm referring strictly to the sales figures in the US. "
    Just because the Americans don't care doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't either. Fifa and PES sell a shiton worldwide year after year and are among the best selling games for almost every current gen platform. Every year Konami and EA battle for who will sell more.   
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Fbomb

Depends if EA manages to capitalize on the fact that making a custom fighter is the primary focus anyway. They should also go the way they did with Tiger Woods, and brand the franchise with Fedor Emelianenko. That would at least create instant recognition, and would immediately dance around having to worry about not being affiliated with a big-brand organization.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Absurd said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    and me as well. "
    Hah. Exactly how I feel as well. But I guess ultimately it boils down to whichever get the better review.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas
    @FunExplosions said:

" @Absurd said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" @zombie2011 said:
    and me as well. "
    Hah. Exactly how I feel as well. But I guess ultimately it boils down to whichever get the better review. "
    Sorry but that logic is really stupid to be honest.  

The trailer was shown.  Looks identical to UFC 2009.  I know they have added things like being able to use the cage and they showed it very briefly in the trailer.  The big new feature, tho?  Kimbo Slice.

Immediately put me off.  I'll be skipping this one most likely unless they have done some major gameplay improvements.  EA's MMA looks better and if you know anything at all about MMA then you SHOULD be more excited about EA's MMA without a doubt.  I'm hoping Dan Henderson will be in it since he basically told the UFC to fuck off and went to Strikeforce.

lemme ask you guys saying you will only buy an MMA game if it is the UFC, tho.  Did you watch Kimbo's debut in the UFC?  If so, did you think his fight was entertaining?  Just curious...
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zombie2011
    @handlas said:
    " @FunExplosions said:

" @Absurd said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    and me as well. "
    Hah. Exactly how I feel as well. But I guess ultimately it boils down to whichever get the better review. "
    Sorry but that logic is really stupid to be honest."
    How is my logic stupid, i know the fighters in the UFC why the fuck would i play a game with a bunch of people i've never heard off. I said i don't watch much MMA so i only really know about the UFC. 

But seeing you know so much about MMA that makes you awesome and everyone else stupid right?
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By handlas
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @handlas said:
    " @FunExplosions said:

" @Absurd said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    and me as well. "
    Sorry but that logic is really stupid to be honest."
    How is my logic stupid, i know the fighters in the UFC why the fuck would i play a game with a bunch of people i've never heard off. I said i don't watch much MMA so i only really know about the UFC.  But seeing you know so much about MMA that makes you awesome and everyone else stupid right? "
    I called your logic stupid.  But you can blow it out of proportion if you want.

Mainly was directed at your original comment.  You don't care about anyone that isn't in the UFC.  Sorry, that is just ignorant.   Quote my full comment, I want to hear your answer to that question I asked at the end.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zombie2011
    @handlas: No i didn't watch the Kimbo fight i don't really like him, and like i said previously i don't watch a lot of MMA i only watch select PPV's. Also how is me not watching other MMA leagues ignorant. I like watching NFL football but i don't watch Arena and the Canadian league does that also make me ignorant.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By handlas
    @zombie2011 said:

" @handlas: No i didn't watch the Kimbo fight i don't really like him, and like i said previously i don't watch a lot of MMA i only watch select PPV's. Also how is me not watching other MMA leagues ignorant. I like watching NFL football but i don't watch Arena and the Canadian league does that also make me ignorant. "

No, basically it seems like you are saying that any fighter not in the UFC doesn't matter.  Which is what I'm saying is stupid....okay maybe that's a poor choice of words.  You prefer this game because it has majority of the fighters you recognize in the sport, that seems to be what I'm gathering.

Personally, I'm not up for a re-release of UFC 2009 with a few more fighters.  Hoping EA's MMA brings some new things.  Plus the many great fighters not in the UFC will be fun to play as.  Fedor, Mousasi, Henderson (hopefully), Randy Couture (in the UFC but he chose to be in EA's game instead), King Mo, Mayhem Miller, Jake Shields, Overeem, and the list goes on and on.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zombie2011
    @handlas said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @handlas: No i didn't watch the Kimbo fight i don't really like him, and like i said previously i don't watch a lot of MMA i only watch select PPV's. Also how is me not watching other MMA leagues ignorant. I like watching NFL football but i don't watch Arena and the Canadian league does that also make me ignorant. "
    No, basically it seems like you are saying that any fighter not in the UFC doesn't matter.  Which is what I'm saying is stupid....okay maybe that's a poor choice of words.  You won't buy the game because it doesn't have a logo on it essentially. "
    No, i won't buy it because i won't know most of the fighters in the game seeing all the fighters i know are in the UFC and have a contract to only appear in the UFC game. If you just read my original post more carefully you would have realized this and we could have skipped this entire conversation.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By handlas

sorry I editted my post before oyu comments.  Basically stating what you just said.  But basically my first statement still stands true in my eyes.   So you watch MMA but are only a fan of the UFC.  Sorry, just doesn't make sense to me.  Your a fan of a brand and not a sport.  So ya, I got nothing from this conversation as well.  Thanks. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @handlas said:
    " sorry I editted my post before oyu comments.  Basically stating what you just said.  But basically my first statement still stands true in my eyes.   So you watch MMA but are only a fan of the UFC.  Sorry, just doesn't make sense to me.  Your a fan of a brand and not a sport.  So ya, I got nothing from this conversation as well.  Thanks.  "
    Is it really that hard to understand? I thought it was simple. UFC is easily the most popular/mainstream outlet to watch MMA. For people like me who don't actually care that much about it, we can watch Spike tv or whatever and see some free high level MMA fights. Because of this, me and others pretty much only know of the fighters that fight for UFC. Is it so wrong that we want to play a sports game with people we know? I don't know about anyone else but for me, playing EA's MMA game would be the same as playing a MMA game full of made up characters. A good example is Madden. People buy Madden because it has all the current popular guys they know and love. I can't remember the last time a non NFL licensed football game actually sold well.

You understand now? Or am I just wasting my time?     : )
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By choffy21
    @JJWeatherman: I'm pretty sure he understands, but you're still just wasting your time.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RsistncE

Undisputed 2010 literally looked exactly the same as 2009. I actually thought they were prefacing the reveal with 2009 footage...until they showed Kimbo Slice in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@RsistncE said:
    " Undisputed 2010 literally looked exactly the same as 2009. I actually thought they were prefacing the reveal with 2009 footage...until they showed Kimbo Slice in it. "
    Yeah same here, I even said to my friends it looks exactly the same and even had the same weird animations.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Kimbo Slice is in next year's Undisputed. That pretty much sways my decision.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By JJOR64

EA is just trying to make a quick buck.  They always have to compete with the market.

Fight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fight
    @JJOR64 said:

" EA is just trying to make a quick buck.  They always have to compete with the market. "

see this is very ignorant, the thing is that EA's game has been in production for over 3 years.

@JJWeatherman said:

" @handlas said:

" sorry I editted my post before oyu comments.  Basically stating what you just said.  But basically my first statement still stands true in my eyes.   So you watch MMA but are only a fan of the UFC.  Sorry, just doesn't make sense to me.  Your a fan of a brand and not a sport.  So ya, I got nothing from this conversation as well.  Thanks.  "
    Is it really that hard to understand? I thought it was simple. UFC is easily the most popular/mainstream outlet to watch MMA. For people like me who don't actually care that much about it, we can watch Spike tv or whatever and see some free high level MMA fights. Because of this, me and others pretty much only know of the fighters that fight for UFC. Is it so wrong that we want to play a sports game with people we know? I don't know about anyone else but for me, playing EA's MMA game would be the same as playing a MMA game full of made up characters. A good example is Madden. People buy Madden because it has all the current popular guys they know and love. I can't remember the last time a non NFL licensed football game actually sold well.  You understand now? Or am I just wasting my time?     : ) "

This is just plain stupid argument. ....

Lets see where to start,

Undisputed 09 was fun don't get me wrong, however it had MANY MANY flaws.  I, myself, love games, and MMA, I know how the sport works, and Undisputed didn't do the sport any justice.

You are choosing a game for the characters you like?  SO you'd rather have a game that has a character named Anderson Silva, but plays the exact same as Thiago Silva rather than a game like EA MMA where every character has a unique stance, and different abilities for EVERY CHARACTER.

Lets do this

GRAPHICS
     EA MMA - IS the winner, because it is using FNR4 engine.

Gameplay  (this is what matters, not the damn characters in the game)
    Shit, I'd rather play a fighting game with 10 fun unique characters with different stances and abilities than with 20 of the same characters (different skins and names, but play identically).
    Not sure, but you see what EA has done with the Tony Hawk franchise, they saw skating games are popular and made a game called skate (another sport I love to do) and did a damn good job, after playing that game, I didn't give a damn about tony hawk anymore, they have THE best sports games in the market, FNR4 the best selling best rated boxing game out there.  Cage work is in the FIRST EA MMA game, dodging is in the first EA MMA game, leg kicks will damage opponents leg (wow they actually effect the opponent now unlike udisputed 09),  all this stuff that is included in EA's first game, is barely included in THQ's second game..... it's a no brainer EA MMA (the first in the seires) obviously is packing more content than the first in THQ's series, maybe more content than the second installment...

You saw how bad ass they could make a skate game there is no doubt in my mind that they can improve on an MMA game.  

Physics
    Way better than Undisputed's easy, uses an Upgraded FNR4 engine.

Bottom line, yes I watch UFC more than I do pride or anything else, I also like the fighters more in UFC, but a damn name and skin doesn't make the gameplay more fun, nor does it add realism, gameplay is the number one thing in a game not characters,  Fedor's in EA MMA, the heavy weight champion of the world, and so is Randy Couture, and guess what?  They both will play very differently, which adds more value.  
    Just because Anderson SIlva, or Lyoto Machida aren't in the game doesn't make the game shitty...thats stupid logic.

I'll be getting both, if THQ doesn't do a better job, I think they will sell less, and Dana will have to change his mind about EA, if he really cared about the sport he would have signed with EA, because he himself, knows how EA monopolized sports games, and no one does a better job than ea when it comes to sports.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm not sure how I side. I'm much more open to EA now than I have been in the past ten years. And EA does its best work when directly competing with another product. THQ knows EA has been earning back a lot of favor and that when competing, they actually perform.

Either way, only good things will come of this for the gamers... until EA secures the UFC license and pulls a Madden.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Fight said:
    " @JJOR64 said:

" EA is just trying to make a quick buck.  They always have to compete with the market. "

see this is very ignorant, the thing is that EA's game has been in production for over 3 years.

@JJWeatherman said:

" @handlas said:

Is it really that hard to understand? I thought it was simple. UFC is easily the most popular/mainstream outlet to watch MMA. For people like me who don't actually care that much about it, we can watch Spike tv or whatever and see some free high level MMA fights. Because of this, me and others pretty much only know of the fighters that fight for UFC. Is it so wrong that we want to play a sports game with people we know? I don't know about anyone else but for me, playing EA's MMA game would be the same as playing a MMA game full of made up characters. A good example is Madden. People buy Madden because it has all the current popular guys they know and love. I can't remember the last time a non NFL licensed football game actually sold well.  You understand now? Or am I just wasting my time?     : ) "
    This is just plain stupid argument. ....  Lets see where to start,  Undisputed 09 was fun don't get me wrong, however it had MANY MANY flaws.  I, myself, love games, and MMA, I know how the sport works, and Undisputed didn't do the sport any justice.  You are choosing a game for the characters you like?  SO you'd rather have a game that has a character named Anderson Silva, but plays the exact same as Thiago Silva rather than a game like EA MMA where every character has a unique stance, and different abilities for EVERY CHARACTER.  Lets do this  GRAPHICS  EA MMA - IS the winner, because it is using FNR4 engine.  Gameplay  (this is what matters, not the damn characters in the game) Shit, I'd rather play a fighting game with 10 fun unique characters with different stances and abilities than with 20 of the same characters (different skins and names, but play identically).Not sure, but you see what EA has done with the Tony Hawk franchise, they saw skating games are popular and made a game called skate (another sport I love to do) and did a damn good job, after playing that game, I didn't give a damn about tony hawk anymore, they have THE best sports games in the market, FNR4 the best selling best rated boxing game out there.  Cage work is in the FIRST EA MMA game, dodging is in the first EA MMA game, leg kicks will damage opponents leg (wow they actually effect the opponent now unlike udisputed 09),  all this stuff that is included in EA's first game, is barely included in THQ's second game..... it's a no brainer EA MMA (the first in the seires) obviously is packing more content than the first in THQ's series, maybe more content than the second installment...  You saw how bad ass they could make a skate game there is no doubt in my mind that they can improve on an MMA game.    Physics Way better than Undisputed's easy, uses an Upgraded FNR4 engine.  Bottom line, yes I watch UFC more than I do pride or anything else, I also like the fighters more in UFC, but a damn name and skin doesn't make the gameplay more fun, nor does it add realism, gameplay is the number one thing in a game not characters,  Fedor's in EA MMA, the heavy weight champion of the world, and so is Randy Couture, and guess what?  They both will play very differently, which adds more value.   Just because Anderson SIlva, or Lyoto Machida aren't in the game doesn't make the game shitty...thats stupid logic.  I'll be getting both, if THQ doesn't do a better job, I think they will sell less, and Dana will have to change his mind about EA, if he really cared about the sport he would have signed with EA, because he himself, knows how EA monopolized sports games, and no one does a better job than ea when it comes to sports. "
    Wow. just letting you know you wasted your time because I'm not gonna read any of that beyond the first sentence. What are you an EA employee? Jesus. 

Seriously, if you are a real MMA fan you should embrace both games as there haven't ever been any before last year. At least not that I know of.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
    @JJWeatherman: Shoulda read the last sentence instead. Also yes there was a UFC game before the one in 2009, and it was poorly received and not from the same team.
    troma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By troma
    @MrKlorox: Actually, there was 5 UFC games before undisputed 2009, The Dreamcast version of the first game of the serie "Ultimate Fighting Championship" was very well received by the critics, it was a ground breaking game back in the days. Zuffa f-up when they bought the ufc and refused to renew the deal with Anchor.

Anyway, i can't wait for both EA MMA & UFC 2010, it's gonna a great year for mma fans.
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hot_Karl

The more I hear about EA MMA, the more I'm open to playing the game, but they seriously need to make a fantastic game if they want to take down UFC 2010. UFC 2010 will absolutely own the sales charts when it comes out- I'm seriously predicting numbers close to what Madden sells its first week. Even though EA MMA has Couture, they have an uphill battle to climb without that UFC license. 

But I'm a firm believer that healthy competition is good for all those involved.

EDIT: Anyone see UFC 110 this past Saturday? Velasquez straight up killed it, right??

A_Damn_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By A_Damn_Tool
    @JJWeatherman said:    Seriously, if you are a real MMA fan you should embrace both games as there haven't ever been any before last year. At least not that I know of. "

This.

I'm excited for Undisputed but also very curious about EA's game. I don't understand how anyone can say one is better than the other though, when the damn games aren't even out yet.

As for the original topic I don't see this being much of a battle, at least in terms of consumer's dollars. The UFC is the dominant brand, so much so that a lot of people still refer to MMA as "ultimate fighting." The UFC game has their biggest draw in Brock Lesnar right on the cover, while EA's game will likely feature Fedor Emelianenko (who's still unknown to a majority of the U.S.) prominently. Casual fans of the sport will go with the UFC game and I can't blame them for it. 

There's also the fact that Undisputed is hitting the market first, and will likely get a price drop and renewed marketing push whenever EA launches their game.
    JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

I think the main issue will be how to reach the mainstream audience. I think 80% of the people think of UFC as being a synonym for Cagefighting/Freefighting/MMA, and alot of them won't know what Strikeforce or Dream is. UFC is simply well known and when going to their local store they get faced with 2 choises: UFC or EA MMA, you can bet they'll choose the UFC licensed game.

I enjoyed the Fightnight games, but I'm not to impressed by the footage and info that has been released thus far for EA MMA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.