Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultima Online

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 25, 1997

Ultima Online is a popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game, released on September 30, 1997, by Origin Systems of Electronic Arts.

Who still plays UO?

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By vager
    I don't, but if I do, it sure as hell won't be the official one. They lost their way long ago.

If I ever go back it'll be the crafting, I absolutely loved it.

eyequeue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By eyequeue

People who play on free shards that are set before the game was ruined... that's who. And mostly because they realize it is the BEST MMORPG ever.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By vager

Most likely. Some shards actually improved the whole sandbox concept that made UO great.
    Nice review btw.

eyequeue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By eyequeue

Thank you very much!

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Nate

I don't, but still think about getting back into it sometimes. I've never had so much fun than when I first got this game back in 1998.

MacroPlanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MacroPlanet

I think the crafting in Ultima Online has probably been the best crafting system in any game to date.  The stuff you can create and how to create them is just mind blowing. 

I play UO off and on, at times.  It really depends.  As of lately I've just accepted that nostalgia is the only reason why I go back anymore.  

billyblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By billyblaze

I played on German Freeshards for a while; Himmelsstadt and Alathair. Also as a GM for a while.

They're all slowly dying, sadly. I had some damn good times with this game. Also got to know a lot of awesome people!

aquacadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Bumping this thread from forever ago to say I just started on a free shard that is pretty well run. If any other GB people have any desire to play UO again you should check out uorevealed, and hit me up for help.

Classic UO:R ruleset (precast, insta hits, no t2a)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pezen

Most of what I remeber from UO has to do with its player housing system. Sure, I had a nice apartment in Anarchy Online but my custom built house deep in the woods of Ultima Online had rustic charm and unique architectural features.

Edit; wait, this thread is 7 years old. I'm not paying attention.

Evilbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is like thread necromancy at this point but I did want to say that I loved UO back in the day I played tons in college. They did ruin it which is unfortunate. I also have to say the only other game I liked crafting in besides UO was Vanguard from (at the time) Sony Online. That game had the most in-depth and crazy crafting system I ever used and it was highly rewarding. When you were the first person to make a particular item on a server shard your name was announced over world chat and if I remember correctly from that point forward the item, when made by others, said "First made by so and so" in the item description. Was totally awesome.

Unfortunately that game died a horrible death due to the insane griefing. It was open PVP and there was absolutely no where safe in the world..even in your own house. So new players were eaten alive for their mats and that was the end of the game pretty much. Wasn't a huge success to start with and then the player base never grew.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still play UO. And on the official servers no less! I originally played between 1998-2003, then took a LONG break before starting back up last year. I'm in the process of relearning all the systems that have changed over the years, many of which are clunky and unnecessarily complex, but overall I continue to enjoy the game. I completely get that most people would laugh UO off as irrelevant in 2021, and they are justified in doing so, but there is still a charm that I haven't found in any other game. There is a good chance that I'm out on this limb all alone in the Giant Bomb community, but if anyone else is playing, feel free to send me a message.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.