Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 27, 1992

Ultima Underworld is one of the first free-roaming, first-person CRPGs. In this game, the player as the Avatar must rescue the daughter of a Baron from the Stygian Abyss. There, amidst the ruins of a once utopian colony, the Avatar will also discover the dark horror that lies far below.

Paul Neurath is rebooting the Underworld franchise..

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just spotted this on another forum. Paul Neurath has formed Otherside Entertainment and is planning to remake the Underworld games.

From their About section:

OtherSide is a Boston-area game studio focused on bringing to core gamers reboots of classic game franchises. For its first title, the company has secured the rights to do new versions of the beloved Underworld games, which sold over 1M copies and is considered a landmark fantasy franchise of the 1990’s.

http://othersideentertainment.com/

That has to be one of the most epic testimonial lists I've seen in a while :P

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool! It's interesting to see all these old hands of the industry come back. I wonder if he's still got it in him to innovate the genre again.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By selbie
    baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Looks interesting. The thing I want to know is; how playable are Underworld 1 and 2 nowadays? I've never played an Ultima game, though I did watch the Spoony retrospective on the series. From that I thought Underwold looked the most interesting.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: Oh god, how could you have gotten that impression of the game, especially after seeing the Spoony retrospective? The impression I've gotten from what he did on the underworld games is that they were unbalanced to be hard as fuck right from the first enemy, and also left out like... all the good parts of the Ultima games. Like the story, recurring characters and such.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@baka_shinji17: I played a bit of Underworld 1 a few months ago. It doesn't seem so bad as far as how it's aged, except the controls are weird as hell.

I really would like to see what comes of this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@baka_shinji17: The Underworld games are super interesting from a historical perspective and seem like they hold up surprisingly well for DOS RPGs that came out in the early 90s (though still rough in the ways that games from that era are rough). Underworld 2 is a little more structured than the first game (it has a hub and separate levels, basically), so I actually got somewhere with it at one point.

This has actually been the first game I've bothered to kickstart in 2 years since Divinity Original Sin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.