Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 17, 2014

The third major installment of the Street Fighter IV legacy adds characters and stages from Street Fighter X Tekken, a brand new fighter, new gameplay mechanics (including the ability to bring both Ultra Combos into the fight), and a variety of balance tweaks, training enhancements, and new modes.

Ono says "There is no V, nor next-gen"

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono has spoken out to say that Street Fighter V is not in development due to budgetary issues.

A fan asked Ono on Twitter if he was secretly working on Street Fighter V for next-generation consoles, to which the designer replied, "I don't have R&D budget and staff."

He further explained that his team is now focused entirely on Ultra Street Fighter IV, which was announced at EVO this weekend.

Ono also confirmed that Ultra Street Fighter IV is in development only for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. No plans are in place right now to bring the update to next-generation consoles (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Wii U), he said.

GameSpot: Ono says no budget for Street Fighter V

No Caption Provided

I.. I don't even know, what they're doing then. How the hell is Ultra not going to next-gen, then? And then, what the hell is "Hyper Street-Fighter IV," then?.

Tekken X Street Fighter, and Tekken 7 are gonna come out soon enough. So, if there is no next-gen Street Fighter, then.. Like, well just what? How is Capcom gonna compete against Killer Instinct???

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

Well that's going to piss people off..

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

If Ultra did go to next gen, wouldn't everyone just complain that it looked like a previous gen game? Because that's what it is. An update to IV.

Also I wouldn't bet on Tekken X Street Fighter coming out anytime soon. The bad press on SFxT kind of killed it for a while I think.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It would be one thing if this update was targeted towards everybody but I don't think anyone but people who already give a shit about AE are going to care. Ultra being on platforms widely available at tournaments anyway is probably for the better.

Also this quote is, like most other headlines, disingenuous or misleading. This isn't saying there won't ever be a Street Fighter V but the way Ono's team is setup at the moment, SFV doesn't exist at the moment. The answer is to the question of whether he's "secretly" working on SFV which I highly doubt he'd leak right now after announcing Ultra at EVO.

Seems like a temporary non-issue to me. Unless SFIV somehow looks bad on consoles now and could do with a hardware update, I think it's all fine.

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By veiasma

That's disappointing its not already in development.

Looks like we'll all have to wait until next-gen install bases improve before Capcom will pay for SFV.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The answer is to play Divekick instead. Dave Lang hasn't ruled out next gen versions of Divekick!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Eh...There's no reason to panic. IIRC, SFIV came out two years after the initial launch of the PS3/360. All signs are points to something similar with the PS4/XBone.

P.S: People should let the games grow a bit before they start clamoring for another one. I mean, do we really need another fighting game when there's already a boatload out there on the market?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer is to play Divekick instead. Dave Lang hasn't ruled out next gen versions of Divekick!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You don't put your shaky niche genre on unreleased, unproven consoles. You put it where you know it's going to be bought.

I imagine there will be be a Street Fighter V, but now's definitely not the time.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh...There's no reason to panic. IIRC, SFIV came out two years after the initial launch of the PS3/360. All signs are points to something similar with the PS4/XBone.

P.S: People should let the games grow a bit before they start clamoring for another one. I mean, do we really need another fighting game when there's already a boatload out there on the market?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

That Hyper SF4 image is fake. Also, Capcom doesn't need to compete with KI because the competitive scene for KI will never get as big as SF4, ever.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Hyper SF4 image is fake. Also, Capcom doesn't need to compete with KI because the competitive scene for KI will never get as big as SF4, ever.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Tekken X Street Fighter is probably never happening at this point. They said in 2012 the game was only 10% done and earlier this year that they were considering their options or something like that. These options are probably between cancelling it or pushing it to next gen if we're lucky.

Also i don't think Capcom is even remotely concerned with Killer Instinct.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyper is the F2P, buy one character at a time version.

BOLD PREDICTIONS!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Because Ono is going to tell people what he's secretly working on if they just ask him.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

"How is Capcom going to compete with Killer Instinct???"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

This is dumb

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@mooseymcman said:

If fact he basically said there will probably be a version of Divekick on PS4!

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Considering there's no backwards-compatibility with the current-gen on these new systems i'd want a Hyper SFIV on the PS4/XOne purely for convenience sake, I don't want to keep my old consoles connected.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He always says stuff like that.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I would imagine USFIV will eventually be ported to next gen consoles, Capcom loves it's ports.

I totally believe that there is no SFV in development and Ono simply doesn't have the budget. Development costs were already prohibitive, and costs will continue to grow

Did we see any technically impressive next gen Japanese titles at e3 this year other than Metal Gear? Japanese studios already lagged behind their western counterparts this gen (other than MGSIV and Gran Turismo) and I wonder if Japanese studios will be able to compete technically this gen either.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@blu3v3nom07 said:

How is Capcom gonna compete against Killer Instinct???

Easily: By not making Killer Instinct.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@blu3v3nom07: Killer Instinct? Really? No one is going to give that game two shits in the competitive scene.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

And I will buy that version IN ADDITION to the PS3 one this August!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Tekken X Street Fighter, and Tekken 7 are gonna come out soon enough.

Suuuuuure it is.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't think Killer Instinct has a real shot against SF but it might gain some traction by default. It's going to be one of the only next-gen fighting games for a while.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If those matches at EVO were any indicators of the current state-of-things with KI then I rrreeeallllyyyyyy don't think Capcom will have much to worry about.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By musubi

@pr1mus: Capcom has nothing to do with that. That is NamcoBandai's baby. And its been heavily rumored that Tekken Revolution is a prototype for the combat engine for TxSF.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Something something something Darkstalkers something so- awwww fuck it. I don't even care anymore. Just give me Ultra and my Elena and let me have this modicum of joy in my life.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By reisz

Glad to hear it, this might sound crazy but I don't think the world is ready for Street Fighter V. Plus it would just draw all sorts of dumb comparisons to the anime series.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

where is deep down ono!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't know, then.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

where is deep down ono!

That's where the budget went.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.