Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 17, 2014

The third major installment of the Street Fighter IV legacy adds characters and stages from Street Fighter X Tekken, a brand new fighter, new gameplay mechanics (including the ability to bring both Ultra Combos into the fight), and a variety of balance tweaks, training enhancements, and new modes.

Sticks with Chicks

• 97 results
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I have two modified Madcatz fightsticks. I changed up the art, buttons, ball tops, and even the PCB boards to support multiple consoles. The Aigis one is mine and the Skullgirls one is my brothers.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I've been contemplating picking up a stick for quite a long while now, and I figured around the USFIV launch would be a good time as there are probably new models around (and/or discounts on old models). Also I'd not been playing much 2D fighter-wise for a few months prior to the USFIV release so it feels like a good time to start learning with a slightly fresher mind than usual.

Can anyone from the UK recommend the best place to look for sticks? It seems a little harder to come by them here but I'm sure someone in this thread will know the best places to go for that sort of thing. Ideally I'd love a stick that works well with both PC and PS3/4, but I'll take what I can get.

Incidentally, I love the designs going on here. Great job everyone!

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Me and a buddy used to make and sell a ton of custom arcade sticks(and empty wooden boxes), but kinda got bored with it and haven't in a couple years. Here are a few I have uploaded from when we were making them:

These are fun to make, we were doing them for a while before custom boards became available by breaking apart 360 controllers and soldering the contacts. It got a lot easier when people started making custom boards!

dsouvannarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ninja_welshman: that is a super sexy fightstick. The button and joystick harnesses make all the difference!

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By ptys

Cool stick, shame its late in the generation but hopefully the PS4 will support it.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@y2ken said:

I've been contemplating picking up a stick for quite a long while now, and I figured around the USFIV launch would be a good time as there are probably new models around (and/or discounts on old models). Also I'd not been playing much 2D fighter-wise for a few months prior to the USFIV release so it feels like a good time to start learning with a slightly fresher mind than usual.

Can anyone from the UK recommend the best place to look for sticks? It seems a little harder to come by them here but I'm sure someone in this thread will know the best places to go for that sort of thing. Ideally I'd love a stick that works well with both PC and PS3/4, but I'll take what I can get.

Incidentally, I love the designs going on here. Great job everyone!

While Eightarc and Mad Catz can ship internationally, check out Arcade World.

Oh yeah here is my stick from Jasen's Customs...

It's ready to work on previous gen and current gen consoles!

No Caption Provided

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#57  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ptys said:

Cool stick, shame its late in the generation but hopefully the PS4 will support it.

Unlikely, as one of the big selling points of the new Mad Catz USFIV sticks coming out this year is that they have a toggle switch for PS3/PS4.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Clear balltops are kinda making me nervous. They look weird in the pictures.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matatat said:

Clear balltops are kinda making me nervous. They look weird in the pictures.

They look aiite in person. Oh yeah I got to take a look at Sanwa's clear bat top prototype at EVO which aint shabby.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomnaut: Thanks for the suggestion. Mad Catz's website always suggests going to a UK retailer which offers some of their products but not much in the way of fightsticks, so I wasn't sure what their policy was. I've seen a few of their sticks on Amazon though. Will give that site a look, seems like they have a decent amount of stuff going on.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I just caught somewhere online, might of been either madcatz or focus arcade but there's adapters now out for xbox 360 > xbone Wouldn't surprise me if they have something like that on the playstation side.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I just caught somewhere online, might of been either madcatz or focus arcade but there's adapters now out for xbox 360 > xbone Wouldn't surprise me if they have something like that on the playstation side.

That converter you might be mentioning isn't highly regarded in the community due to some anecdotal concerns including lagging the other player and such. Unfortunately it hasn't been thoroughly tested to determine if it's creating any problems. Also the units have programmable presets that some players might use, which is a no no in tournament, despite having a default raw conversion setting.

The best way for stick users to get access to current gen sticks is padhacking.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think you are talking about the CronusMax. These things are almost banned everywhere that do tournaments.

acfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#64  Edited By acfan
    No Caption Provided

These are my sticks right now, my Q1 broke a few weeks ago and decided to get a Q4 for a decent price during last week's evo.
    Going to mod it soon.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@ninja_welshman: I have a great appreciation for clean classy looking fight sticks, nice work. Also, six buttons for the win.

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Tharrington

I was able to build a stick for my woodworking class a couple of years ago. It's pretty crude and beat up now but it has my own custom art and it gets the job done. Also, don't mind all the coin rolls in the background.

No Caption Provided

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By masterrain
    No Caption Provided

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterrain: Wow. In.. inc... incredible? So much power on one stick.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Niceanims

@starvinggamer said:

@corruptedevil: Something like:

• Fightstick ~ $200
    • Gate ~ $25
    • Replacement stick ~ $25
    • Buttons + Balltop = $130

So all-told it's probably something like $400 o_O

Holy shit. I spent just over $100 on my stick and even then I felt it was pricey. That said if they ever released some Marvel buttons I probably wouldn't be able to resist.

Anyway your stick looks really damn great.

@starvinggamer said:

There's isn't much that makes her special, but I swapped out the stick when the old one went bad and of course traded my square-gate in for an 8-way gate because I'm not a maniac, so in those little ways she's unique to me.

Seriously, why the fuck aren't octo gates the standard?

No Caption Provided

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By StarvingGamer

@itwongo said:
    @darthorange said:

@starvinggamer said:

@corruptedevil: Something like:

• Fightstick ~ $200
    • Gate ~ $25
    • Replacement stick ~ $25
    • Buttons + Balltop = $130

So all-told it's probably something like $400 o_O

Holy shit. I spent just over $100 on my stick and even then I felt it was pricey. That said if they ever released some Marvel buttons I probably wouldn't be able to resist.

Anyway your stick looks really damn great.

@starvinggamer said:

There's isn't much that makes her special, but I swapped out the stick when the old one went bad and of course traded my square-gate in for an 8-way gate because I'm not a maniac, so in those little ways she's unique to me.

Seriously, why the fuck aren't octo gates the standard?

No Caption Provided

Sure, if you think clean ratios are more important than the way you actually play the game.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey I was looking for the Chicks with Sticks thread but ended up here, can someone point me in the place?

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By masterrain

@starvinggamer: If you are riding the gate you are playing the game wrong. The only time the stick should touch the side is for blocking. Any sort of motion can be done much quicker and more efficiently by not touching the side. So for that purpose you want each sector to have the same percentage. The games were developed for square gate and so unsurprisingly work best with them.

BTW if you guys want to get super anal about what stick to get you should look at this http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html (These are very small differences btw) Seems like all sticks come with good quality Sanwa parts, so its the PCB that is the deciding factor.

But when it comes to sticks I'm kind of an emotionless robot, I don't care what it looks like, its all about raw performance. How it feels to play.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterrain: If you aren't touching the side then sector size is irrelevant. If you're touching the side for blocking then having the guide to help make sure you're hitting back/downback correctly is in no way a detriment.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Well first you have less space in which to execute, you're more likely to hit the edge, which will only slow you down. Secondly, holding pure 'down' is an almost unused motion in fighting games, so you only need the corner of a square gate 'down-back'. I think octo gate is initially good for new players as you don't have the awareness of the stick, but in the end you should stick with square as it allows the fastest execution.

My friend used octo gate because he couldn't do multiple qcf like with yang's slashes without riding the gate but in the end it only hurt him as it was super slow, and left him restricted in which characters he could use. Especially in Guilty Gear and KOF with large motions it becomes tough. Even in SFIV the tough motions of Viper and Ibuki should never touch the side, and 360s shouldn't either.

I guess in the end its preference, but octo is kinda a training aid, while square gate just gives you the freedom to execute as fast as your hand can go.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterrain: If you're hitting the edge then you're already not doing the "fastest execution" so I don't see how it could slow you down any more. Also I'm not talking about holding Down, I'm talking about being able to quickly and easily transition between Downback and Back without any fear of overshooting it. And if we're talking about "fastest execution", the distance between holding Downback and Back on an octogate is shorter than the distance on a square gate.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By masterrain

@starvinggamer: Yeah you're right for blocking an overhead octo gate is faster. However the 3 sections that make up quarter circle zones being evenly distributed and having more space makes execution of specials faster as it leaves more space for human error of hitting the sides. The diagonals on the octo gate are super small. Having equal space just makes more logical sense and has a smaller dead zone leaving more for inputs. If your inputs are 'perfect' it doesn't matter what gate you have, as even when blocking you'd only move the stick enough to trigger the microswitch.

I guess what I don't understand is 'overshooting' it. I can sorta sense the clicks of the microswitches, I would never go from down back to jumping back... Maybe you need a more delicate touch. :P

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

These sticks are so cool. I have a pink and chrome xbox 360 controller that my husband built for me to use with my PC, but no crazy sticks. Great work, I'm super jealous. :)

OhDearAudrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By OhDearAudrey
    No Caption Provided

a bit older,. but i still like it

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh nice, you have the madcatz Terry Crews limited edition.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You made me order those chibi buttons. Now I embark on modding my sc5 te stick. You inspired me n wrecked my wallet.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By gokaired

Dudes! I finally have what I need!

No Caption Provided

This turns connects your Wii controller to a PS3 and PC, why is that important?

No Caption Provided

Using this is awesome but it's only useful with TvC, it's not fair it's not likely to have a sequel.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still just using one of those SCV "Soul" sticks that I was planning on modding back when I got it but never actually did.

Hesitant to do so now since I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a new stick that's PS4 compatible by the end of the year.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

@ninja_welshman: Nice work, super clean. I have to appreciate the care that went in to making the internals look nice, from the sleeves on the wiring to painting the stick mounting plate. Did you make the housing yourself?

Yes sir. Not hard at all. Measure twice and take your time.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninja_welshman: that is a super sexy fightstick. The button and joystick harnesses make all the difference!

Thank you sir.

@mikefightnight said:

@ninja_welshman: I have a great appreciation for clean classy looking fight sticks, nice work. Also, six buttons for the win.

Thank you, that's the look I was going for. Glad you like it. Went with 6 buttons for the nostalgia of playing SF2 in the arcades when I was young and also to keep the size down.

Great sticks guys btw.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now, the parts are in, and in the stick looks better.

No Caption Provided

I went with a Makoto balltop because both Ryu and Chun-Li were out (dammit!), and went with a yellow dust cover to go with the whole yellow scarf she has. Also, I rewired the buttons to get this into a "Type C" layout, so the markings you see are now wrong.

Now, I just need to get the artwork done and this will look great. If any artistically minded duders, or those who have redone the art have any suggestions/pointers/pretty pics I should use, please feel free to share.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, I was wondering, what's better. A ball top or Bat? I haven't used a bat top in years.

Oh, there's guilty gear Xrd buttons being released too, I hope they do a Chibi set if not I may just get an Ishiwatari ball top. :)

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Team bat top forever. It's me, I'm the guy with a Happ and a metal eight-way gate.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By StarvingGamer

@gokaired: It all depends on what's comfortable to you.

EDIT: I will say that if you have an underhand stick style, I can't imagine bat top being comfortable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokaired: It's all preference. From what I've seen, more American arcades used bat, and Japanese used ball.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to customize my Qanba Q4 but when I tried to take the cables out of the buttons on my old Mad Catz stick, I fucked em' up which makes me afraid to even attempt anything with the Qanba.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#91  Edited By hippie_genocide

@gokaired: It all depends on what's comfortable to you.

EDIT: I will say that if you have an underhand stick style, I can't imagine bat top being comfortable.

Eh, bat top joysticks were all we had in the U.S. during the heyday of the arcades. At least where I lived. And I used a basic underhand grip just fine (2 fingers above, 2 below). I'm glad ball tops are now the de facto standard though, don't get me wrong. If you hold a bat top like an actual bat you are a crazy person.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doomocrat said:

Team bat top forever. It's me, I'm the guy with a Happ and a metal eight-way gate.

I respect the old school but... I AM TEAM KOREA! ELECTRIC/HELLSWEEP YOUR WAY TO VICTORY!

@sauson said:

I would love to customize my Qanba Q4 but when I tried to take the cables out of the buttons on my old Mad Catz stick, I fucked em' up which makes me afraid to even attempt anything with the Qanba.

Unless you removed the metal end of the button's switch, they are fortunately not too bad to remove. Put a bit, not too much, of force when removing the quick disconnect and you will get it out with no problems. Aside from the electrical end of modding, most of the stuff you might want to add or replace are safe to do with bare hands.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: Sorry dude. I didn't think to make one at the time. Really should have. If you have any questions I can answer them for you. That or head over to SRK for loads of advice, help and crazy stick builds.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the general consensus on these Mayflash sticks? I often see them around $30? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015PHMFU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2LNOOCKB4U6Y7&coliid=IMMFP4RS8JIXQ

Like if I got that and switched out for Sanwa buttons/sticks would it be a decent fighting stick? Need some advice.

It could be, but it's going to be a pain in the ass to do. You're going to need to basically gut the entire thing, drill some holes, do a lot of work with a dremel, and install a completely new PCB along with the new stick and buttons. $30 for the stick + $50 for the Sanwa parts and you're already at around the price of an older MadCatz TE when they're doing one of their sales. Add the price of a PCB and I don't know if you have good access to tools or not because there's a lot of plastic you need to file off the inside of that thing.

If you're a DIY kind of person that likes to get their hands dirty, then paying $30 basically for just the case isn't terrible, but it won't save you much/any money in the long run and is about as far away as you can get from the path of least resistance.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By llamaegg

I need to slap some new art on this, but I keep swapping out different buttons/boards/led's for shits and giggles, but this is my current stick I've been working on, along with the adorable painted ball top. Think I need to throw together some Under Night or Persona 4 Arena artwork for this thing. The wood is pau ferro, because why not use exotic wood for a fight stick.

No art, sad face
    No art, sad face
    Art, no leds, sad face
    Art, no leds, sad face

Man, the more I look at it, more that's a horrible picture, oh well. Here's a picture of it once upon a time before led's and whatnot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.