Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 17, 2014

The third major installment of the Street Fighter IV legacy adds characters and stages from Street Fighter X Tekken, a brand new fighter, new gameplay mechanics (including the ability to bring both Ultra Combos into the fight), and a variety of balance tweaks, training enhancements, and new modes.

Ultra Street Fighter IV Is OUT :D

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Its out now to download for your favourite home video game entertainment consoles! Just load up the game to get an update, and then look in the downloadable content menu option for SSFIV.

I have no idea how the costumes for the new characters work, but I think you get some for free, get some if you pre-ordered and some if you bought SFxT costumes.

The retail release comes out in August, which comes with ALL costumes and new trials apparently.

FIGHT

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wahoooooooooooooo!!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you go to sonyentertainmentnetwork.com you can also purchase the add-on that way and get it queved in your download list for your ps3.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Man so many of Poison's combos are 1-frame links. Looks like I might have to give up on her :'(

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm happy that the 360 version came out a day early.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@starvinggamer: As this is my first SF that I plan to actually level up my game/play consistently since vanilla it sucks to hear that, sounds like Vega/Claw all over again:(

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Man so many of Poison's combos are 1-frame links. Looks like I might have to give up on her :'(

Stuff like this sort of make me give up on fighting games in general. For years I've been trying to break into the genre. It seems so perfect - like an endless amount of fun to just go head to head and master combos. Each time some new iteration of SF comes out and I try to get into it I find it impenetrable. At one point I went to forums and started actually studying the THEORY - what are 1 link frames, what is buffering, what is this and that. I got SF x T because first of all I could tag team with a friend who was decent at fighting games, meaning I wasn't always losing - second, I heard it was "easy" according to fighting game buffs, so hey perfect. I sat in the training mode and simply could not get some of those combos. The timing, i.e. 1 frame links, for some of the combo strings even in the training were brutal.

I think it's a real shame because I really want to like the genre but I think the entry bar is like chin high unless you just want to button mash. I know it takes patience, but I honestly put in a lot of time trying to drill these combos into myself. Unfortunately with no real indicator of what I'm doing wrong exactly it's exasperating.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@humanity: Not every fighting game plays like that, MK and Injustice are more about the speed of the inputs; Marvel and Skullgirls are more about just having an extremely long chain of buttons but the timing is usually not as harsh as it is in Street Fighter. KoF is a lot faster than Street Fighter which could be appealing. Tekken is almost completely different from all of the above. And so on; the barrier to entry is high but not necessarily impenetrably high; of course if you're like me (aside from Injustice, but new IPs are rare) you're much better than introductory players and much worse than incredibly good players so there's no one to actually compete with.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

you're much better than introductory players and much worse than incredibly good players so there's no one to actually compete with.

Pretty much exactly why I quit playing back in the day. I was beating the scrubbiest shotos, but the moment some Bison knew what they were actually doing, I was boned. Also, the idea of sitting in training mode trying to get better at execution was not appealing in the least.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm have so much fun with Rolento. Also I don't think people are realizing how good red focus is.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By churrific

@brake said:

@fredchuckdave said:

you're much better than introductory players and much worse than incredibly good players so there's no one to actually compete with.

Pretty much exactly why I quit playing back in the day. I was beating the scrubbiest shotos, but the moment some Bison knew what they were actually doing, I was boned. Also, the idea of sitting in training mode trying to get better at execution was not appealing in the least.

I believe this has online training mode. Training together with a friend online for an indefinite amount of time makes it a little bit more appealing to me at least.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Nodima

@humanity yea, you really should give the Netherrealms games a shot if you haven't had any luck with Street Fighter. I'm not someone who has ANY interest in fighting game theory beyond academia but Mortal Kombat has always been a MUCH easier game to grasp. For example in MK9 the specials and EX specials (for lack of knowing what MK calls them) are executed with the exact same button press only you hit the block button at the end, and every Ultra is just L2 + R2. Each characters' skills are also generally tied to the same basic function, ie. down-back-button, back-forward-button, etc.

Outside of some extreme cases that may or may not actually exist every character basically has a two direction bias that corresponds to each face button, so pressing down-back-button or down-forward-button with Jax for example produces four distinct skill moves depending on the face button. It's a much, much simpler system than the holds, z-angles and other things that make Street Fighter so enthralling to the hardcore and impenetrable on a micro level to the casual.

It's much more about memorizing the results of the button presses than the button presses themselves.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: @fredchuckdave: I guess the problem was that Street Fighter always appealed to me on some strange aesthetic/cultural level and other fighting games simply did not - so I tried hammering away at SF for a while before giving up. I just assume not every game is for everyone. It's just that unlike Real Time Strategy, which I'm bad at but I don't even like the genre, I actually want to be good at Street Fighter but it seems beyond me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Well, not all characters are as reliant on links as others. With a cast as wide as USFIV has you just need to figure out who fits your skill-set and style.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I agree, it can be kind of an uphill battle. Street Fighter was always my gateway drug into fighting games though, I can't give up on it. I've never been great at them but I still like playing against the computer and at least trying to figure out some of the nuances of the game. If I never get, like, "EVO good" I'll be okay. I still have a lot of fun.

A lot of it's nostalgia too, I guess. I remember renting SF 2 Turbo cartridges from Blockbuster and playing the machine at my local Pizza Hut.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: To be honest as long as you know your basic moves and when to use them as well as some fundamentals you'll do well enough. 1 frame links and combos aren't necessary to play competitively against 90% of people online.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By masterrain

People are fucking boring. The amount of Ryu's I fought IN THE FIRST DAY OF ULTRA. Who are these soulless bores who pay $15 to keep playing Ryu!? Seriously. Can't I have just one day of new characters? Too much to ask? Go die watching paint dry.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still hate quarter circles but poison is fun. Will never play online. Don't need to be owned by cheap kens. Fun though, I'm terrible at fighting games so not sure why I keep buying these but whatever

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I still hate quarter circles but poison is fun. Will never play online. Don't need to be owned by cheap kens. Fun though, I'm terrible at fighting games so not sure why I keep buying these but whatever

Ken hasn't been a super common character in quiet some time.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you aren't watching WNF right now you should be.

Mike Ross just used Hugo to blow up K-Brad's Viper and Decapre.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Mike Ross Snake Eyez Hugo Zangief match is crazy.

Zangief looks like a small child next to Hugo wtf.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNAKE EYEZ WON! So happy right now. That was fucking awesome

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man whenever I see Honda I automatically think MIKE ROSS.. is this a new era.. of Hugo ROSS?!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By damodar

My preferred platform for playing fighting games is PC (Oh stop booing, there's nothing wrong with it. There are dozens of us! DOZENS!) and that version won't be out till August, obviously. But I also have a PS3 and have basically double dipped on all my fighting games like a crazy person. So I thought I'd just get the update on PSN and then get it again in August.

Couldn't see it on the PSN store, checked online to see when it would be out in my region of Australia. Turns out NEEEVERRRRRRRRRRRRR. Something about the OFLC classification for the update is different than the base game you'd be updating (Maybe Poison is TOO HOT FOR PG) and they can't release it? Which must be a problem with Sony's policy or something, because the update came out here on XBL fine, just fine.

So I guess if I want it, I'll have to buy a UK PSN card and get it off their store, since DLC is compatible between UK and AU blah blah. Oh actually, my copy of the game came from the UK anyway, because it was $35 vs paying $80 here. The bummer with that, apart from the hassle and I guess potential risk of dodgy card code selling sites is that I have to pay nearly $30 to get a card that can actually cover the cost of the update :\

Kind of deflated me on the whole thing a bit.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By altairre

@humanity said:

@starvinggamer said:

Man whenever I see Honda I automatically think MIKE ROSS.. is this a new era.. of Hugo ROSS?!

I kind of want him to play Makoto after the last excellent adventures.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Humanity

@altairre said:

@humanity said:

@starvinggamer said:

I kind of want him to play Makoto after the last excellent adventures.

I thought Gootecks playing Yun was an odd choice. He's such a defensive and tactical player that Yun seems too ..fast? I love it when Gootecks plays Rose because it's always a really boring match and an awesome finish.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks Poison's BnB is a 1 frame link, but practice makes perfect. Already getting it pretty consistent offline, online however is another story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.