What's with game characters who like to get wet!!??

#1 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -

Humans invented the umbrella so they don't have to get wet in the rain.

now are developers trying to show off their "wet clothes" effects?
what's with heavy rain?
deadly premonition?
 why don't you guys just get an umbrella??

#2 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Umbrellas are far too classy for drugged up people, murderers, reporters, crazy people, and poorly textured people.

#3 Posted by MisterMouse (3563 posts) -

well the characters dont seem as cool when the pull out an umbrella in the rain, characters that can be like "man who cares about this hard rain" have a bit more spunk which is generally the main characters you will see.

#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
" Umbrellas are far too classy for drugged up people, murderers, reporters, crazy people, and poorly textured people. "
Out of that list, I suppose I must fall under the crazy people category. I don't use umbrellas and none of the other choices seem to fit. Well, there you have it, folks. TheGreatGuero, your favorite Giant Bomb poster, is a crazy person. No wonder that guy wanted to stop following me on here.
#5 Posted by ThatFrood (3377 posts) -

I'm too cool for umbrellas.

#6 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Hey at least DP has an awesome rain slick, which is something I've NEVER seen in a game before.

#7 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Some of us live in places where it rains all the time anyway, and don't care if we get a little wet. I assume that's the case with the cast of Heavy Rain. It also has a strong thematic punch to it.

#8 Posted by Roflwaffles (184 posts) -

It's cuz they're fuckin' thugs.

#9 Posted by CornBREDX (5839 posts) -

I dont use an umbrella but thats because in the army your not allowed to use one in uniform (its against the law) so I just got used to it. One of those things that just stuck with me. No real reason why I guess.
#10 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -
@CornBREDX:   
interesting fact indeed. They shouldve made bullet proof umbrellas for maximum kickassness.
#11 Posted by DevinC (15 posts) -

It's because they are dry again the second they step indoors.
#12 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Umbrellas are for rain, and not for wet t-shirt competitions.

#13 Posted by rathantoras (192 posts) -

Zach carries an umbrella

#14 Posted by ZombiePie (5731 posts) -

Personally I never use an umbrella because it's just water. For video games I think having a hold umbrella walking animation can require some work in order to not make it look really awkward.

#15 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
@CornBREDX said:
" I dont use an umbrella but thats because in the army your not allowed to use one in uniform (its against the law) so I just got used to it. One of those things that just stuck with me. No real reason why I guess."
Wait, what? So it's fine if you get shot at, but it's not if you get hypothermia? Sorry, had to joke.

Why would it be against the law?
#16 Posted by CornBREDX (5839 posts) -
@themangalist:
Ya the army (for me the US army, but if i recall having worked with UK and Canada they were the same as well) has alot of weird rules like that. Most of them actually make sense if you delve into the history of why (like why you HAVE to shave for instance), but the umbrella thing I never understood. I think its just an old fashioned thing that the army just stuck with. Either that, or its just to make you look tougher. I really dont know. Just a small other interesting fact about it, women are alowed to use umbrellas in their dress blues only and when not in formation (which the in formation part does make sense). 

Anyway, ya, in games lately I think its just to show off rain graphics. [Poor way of getting back on topic =P ]
#17 Posted by CornBREDX (5839 posts) -
@CornontheCobbe:
Because your body belongs to the army and therefore is subject to the UCMJ rules and standards.
#18 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
@CornBREDX: Hmm... interesting. I'll have to look into it myself ^_^
#19 Posted by Capum15 (4966 posts) -

Just Cause 2 has pretty awesome "wet clothes" graphics.

It's the first game that's made me go "Whoa, cool." when I got out of water.

Also has pretty awesome weather-related clothes issues (snow buildup when in the snow area, damp clothes when in the jungle, haven't noticed anything in the desert aside from cars getting dirty).

#20 Posted by eroticfishcake (7787 posts) -

Don't forget Uncharted 2 and the recent Tomb Raider games. They just LOVE to get wet. 

Also, it looks a little more impressive. I'm still waiting for flowing clothes though. I think Havok are working on that.

#21 Posted by Pinkshley1 (453 posts) -

Umbrellas are for wimps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.