Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Can anybody tell me, how come this game is so much better than 1

manhunter1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By manhunter1000

Did they get a second team to work on it or something.

Because it is so much freaking better.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

Is it so hard to believe they took criticisms seriously and learned from their mistakes?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Grissefar

@boats said:

It's not, 1 is better. 2 was waaaay too "bright Orange". South America just looked better than the East.

Good argument there, buddy.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Several staff may have left/joined the company between the games releases but for the most part it was exactly the same team.

I don't think its that surprising as you can see all the foundations for the series in that first game. Uncharted 2 didn't really add any new; Naughty Dog simply took the starting blocks from the first game and modified and improved on it, making changes based on internal and external feedback.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AngeTheDude

The core of what was needed to make a great game was already present in Drake's Fortune. UC2 just took out what was crappy and added nice touches to turn it into the blockbuster it was meant to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to think that the first game was more a tech demo than an actual game. In that sense, Naughty Dog spent the bulk of their time figuring out the technical challenges in making an engine on the PS3. Then they cobbled a game together to put on shelves. Then, with the second game, Naughty Dog was able to spend more time making an actual game, since most of the technical groundwork had already been done.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By senorfuzzeh

Probably because your not stuck on one island the entire game.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Revan_NL

Well, it doesn't seem like Naughty Dog knows why UC2 is so much better then UC1, since UC3 is a step backwards in many areas compared to the amazing Among Thieves.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Revan_NL said:

Well, it doesn't seem like Naughty Dog knows why UC2 is so much better then UC1, since UC3 is a step backwards in many areas compared to the amazing Among Thieves.

AGREED.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117

I played both games back to back and I didn't see the huge jump between the two that everyone else seems to. 2 has more flash, but it's fundamentally the same game with the same structure and design. While the bump in production values was nice, that's not enough to put it on a whole new level in my mind,

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By project343

@Revan_NL said:

I'm still only in Syria, but I'm still missing what makes UC3 such a step back for the franchise. So far, it seems like it makes a few minor advancements from UC2--namely, the puzzles seem more in-depth and interesting.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Revan_NL

@project343: I hated the combat scenarios in Drake's Fortune. They fixed that in UC2, gunfights weren't annoying, each encounter was fun. In Uncharted 3, combat is once again a source of frustration. I did finish the game pre-patch, but that doesn't fix the fact that the game suffers from some terrible combat scenarios. It's not really an issue where you are in the game, but in later stages the game keeps throwing wave after wave of enemies at you. Most of the time there are one or two armored guys you have to deal with, but in the mean time the other enemies keep firing at you, severely limiting your possibilities in dealing with the armored guys, since you have to stay in cover to avoid gunfire, but it is vital that you don't let the armored dudes get too close or your dead.

Combat aside, Uncharted 3 doesn't have a story as solid as its predecessor. I was baffled when Elena was introduced, an introduction that sort of falls out of the sky. And then there's Chloe, who dissapears after a couple of chapters along with Cutter.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@SlasherMan said:

Is it so hard to believe they took criticisms seriously and learned from their mistakes?

My first thoughts. They learned from what they did wrong and improved. Not to mention having a shitload more resources from Sony, who decided "This has potential, and will make us tens of millions of dollars. Yep, let's pay them more and give them shit that'll make things better."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.