Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Naughty Dog explains why they thanked Bungie and Infinity Ward.

• 81 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

As part of their usual custom, Naughty Dog thanked a bunch of development studies in the Uncharted 2 ending credits, most of which are Sony's First Party developer. The odd in that list was a thanks to Bungie and Infinity Ward which puzzled many gamer being that Bungie works exclusively with Sony's rival Microsoft and as we all know IW are the people behind the CoD games. In a live chat session, Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann explained why they choose to thank them.  

Neil Druckmann, Naughty Dog:  

thanking other developers.  We try to be quite open with our technology and our process.  We exchanged technology and ideas with other developers. We wanted to make sure we thanked everyone that helped us out in some way.

Quite a nice change from the usual "bashing war" some developers and publishers insist on doing.   For the full Live Chat Session just go here. 
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

I don't see why there needs to be company beefs with one another, everyone just wants to make good games.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @Mordukai: This news made me smile. Any great developer that can lend a hand to another in order to help create a lasting, incredible experience is... well, they transcend the petty bickering we do on this level. And it makes me happy to be a fan of gaming.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Good, they are not assholes. I respect them.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn
    @Br3adfan said:
    "I don't see why there needs to be company beefs with one another, everyone just wants to make good games. "

Yep, i want all game companies to hold hands, because its about the games man
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By delta_ass

Infinity Ward's Memo: "Yo dudes, make them enemies easier to kill. 2 or 3 bullets max."

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By bed

you gotta love naughty dog. 

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TintedEyes

Fanboys take note, you can play for the other team but you don't have to hate each other.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilTwin

Obligatory why can't we be friends?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By buzz_clik

Great lil feelgood story. Love it. It needs to be closed out by Tinkerbell flying in front of it and waving her wand.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brunchies

This proves Naughty Dog is a very respectable developer that doesn't fight with other developers and publishers but instead they get idea's and help to make a great games, They Earn respect for that. 

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By PercyChuggs

Unlike gamers, who treat everything like an "Us vs Them" scenario, game developers all get along. Probably because they are grown ups who have lives.

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

this definitely earns Naughty Dog some respect in my book.  If only fanboys could learn something from this.  To bad thats never gonna happen :(

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CowMuffins
    @buzz_clik said:
    " Great lil feelgood story. Love it. It needs to be closed out by Tinkerbell flying in front of it and waving her wand. "
    That's hard to do with text.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Infinity Ward's Memo: "Yo dudes, make them enemies easier to kill. 2 or 3 bullets max." "
    I still don't understand why everybody says it takes less bullets to kill enemies now. It still can take me six or seven bullets to take down an enemy without a headshot. I'm on hard though.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " Unlike gamers, who treat everything like an "Us vs Them" scenario, game developers all get along. Probably because they are grown ups who have lives. "
    I think Turn 10 missed that memo. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

That adds a ton more respect I already had for Naughty Dog, good to see a company that isn't full of greed and hate.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Liam_mk

Does anybody have a link to some fanboy yelling "Traitor"?

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Good. Developers shouldn't be concerned about the politics of the video game market, that's for the bloodsucker publishing firms to worry about.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Kazona

Nice to see that development companies for two competing consoles actually get along with each other.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Br3adfan said:

" I don't see why there needs to be company beefs with one another, everyone just wants to make good games. "

Amen to that, but sadly it now comes to money, who has more and try your heart out to get the most. I'm not saying don't matter about money everyone wants to make there games a success, but more people help each other it becomes easier to make a great game, and then we will have more of those times were your damn what one to get? Same thing no one needs to be a dick about what console they have, it's personal preference like how I play my console exclusive games on a 360 because I didn't want to folk out loads of money and have more towards a PC as I have good enough experience with them and they have by far better graphics.
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By bwooduhs

I love it how some of the biggest developers are willing to work together even if it is only in a small way.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47

They need to thank eidos and epic since they practically stole the cover system and platforming, it's like tomb raider and gears of war.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Red

Alright guys: 

Infinity Ward, Retro Studios, Naughty Dog and Bungie all working on a game, what would it be?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Red said:
    " Alright guys:  Infinity Ward, Retro Studios, Naughty Dog and Bungie all working on a game, what would it be? "
    I came.

And also, that's a great, touching story.
    TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TintedEyes
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " They need to thank eidos and epic since they practically stole the cover system and platforming, it's like tomb raider and gears of war. "
    and Gears took it from Kill Switch
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    "I don't see why there needs to be company beefs with one another, everyone just wants to make good games. "
    Yep, i want all game companies to hold hands, because its about the games man "
    well, isnt it the same in pretty much.. everything? but its just our nature to fight and compete instead of uniting 

anyway, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Diamond

I'd like to know who they got the magic powder from that allowed them to make the best looking game of all time on PS3.  Absolutely stunning.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @TintedEyes: Yeah, however killswitch was a gen before gears of war. They also stole from resident evil 4 according to cliffy b, that's two genres from last gen. Uncharted practically stole gears combo of resident evil 4 and killswitch gameplay this gen and that's different.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bungie's gone out of their way at times to praise other developers, haven't they? 

I can remember specific times they even saluted Infinity Ward, god forbid. 

McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McBradders
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @TintedEyes: Yeah, however killswitch was a gen before gears of war. They also stole from resident evil 4 according to cliffy b, that's two genres from last gen. Uncharted practically stole gears comb

@HitmanAgent47:
    o of resident evil 4 and killswitch gameplay this gen and that's different. "

Could you possibly be more arbitrary in your reasoning? Because Gears "stole" from last gen titles its now the "originator" of those ideas? 

If you're gonna troll, troll harder man. This kind of reasoning, and I use the word very loosely, is pretty pathetic and stinks of "bitter tears".

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It doesn't change the fact naughty dog stole everything and tried to refine it. I mean online they practically stole the call of duty online components and how you level up and stuff. They stole the cover system and they stole alot of platforming from tomb raider. I would say it's almost an exact duplicate now that uncharted 2, you can blind fire like gears of war. Honestly the game should be called uninspired 2.

My point is even if they didn't share technology with these developers, they should be thanked for borrowing ideas from those games and replicating it exactly yet refined.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zereta

Bungie has indeed thanked and praised other developers, including Infinity Ward. Naughty Dog, I'm not too sure. 

But this move, is really nice. I mean, it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. 

Doesn't change how I feel about Infinity Ward though. The games they make are good but something about their attitude pisses me off. If they could be more like Bungie, or hell, now Naughty Dog, maybe...

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Drebin_893
    @HitmanAgent47:

Honestly, shut the fuck up.  
    And well done to Bungie and IW for sharing their technology and ideas, and thank you to Naughty Dog for being such an honourable company and thanking those partly responsible for their game.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scooper

A nice feel good story. It's nice when developers talk about their inspirations directaly instead of just ripping off ideas and not giving credit. That always comes off as rude to me.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tebbit
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " It doesn't change the fact naughty dog stole everything and tried to refine it. I mean online they practically stole the call of duty online components and how you level up and stuff. They stole the cover system and they stole alot of platforming from tomb raider. I would say it's almost an exact duplicate now that uncharted 2, you can blind fire like gears of war. Honestly the game should be called uninspired 2.  My point is even if they didn't share technology with these developers, they should be thanked for borrowing ideas from those games and replicating it exactly yet refined. "
    You are incorrect on many levels.
    McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By McBradders
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " It doesn't change the fact naughty dog stole everything and tried to refine it. I mean online they practically stole the call of duty online components and how you level up and stuff. They stole the cover system and they stole alot of platforming from tomb raider. I would say it's almost an exact duplicate now that uncharted 2, you can blind fire like gears of war. Honestly the game should be called uninspired 2.  My point is even if they didn't share technology with these developers, they should be thanked for borrowing ideas from those games and replicating it exactly yet refined. "
    So you're saying you don't have a PS3 and have never played Uncharted? Thanks for clearing that up.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @McBradders: I have two ps3s btw and I have uncharted and uncharted 2.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Red12b
    @HitmanAgent47:
    Dude, Just stop, You are being an Arsehole,   
    it's not stealing anything, It is an idea, they chose to use it,   
    If develpors don't work on ideas and refine them and make them better, Then we would still be stuck in Pong or fucking Pac-Man, 
    At the end of the day, Stop being a deuche. 
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Red12b
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " @HitmanAgent47:  Honestly, shut the fuck up.  And well done to Bungie and IW for sharing their technology and ideas, and thank you to Naughty Dog for being such an honourable company and thanking those partly responsible for their game. "

Exactly this,  
    At least they fucking thanked them,  
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Red12b: I just realised something, why bungie and why infinity ward? They are known to have a good multiplayer component and considering how similar it is to call of duty 4 online, they are probally thanking them because they helped with the multiplayer and in exchange they probally shared a few tips to using the ps3 better. Just a thought, they are thanking them because of the online component only.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Red12b
    @HitmanAgent47:
    Cool, well done on your epiphany.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gizmo

Call Of Halo 8 : Modern Mirrors Wake.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By penguindust

I find this to be a despicable turn of events.  By publicly "thanking"  inferior game developers, Naughty Dog has admitted that they couldn't have made the game on their own.  And, by acknowledging Bungie they are saying that Micro$ucks is better than Sony.  I find it insulting that they should turn their backs on Sony, which has done nothing but love them.  How long before we see Nathan Drake's adventures dumbed down to run on the 3-fix-me?  Well, I want Naughty Dog to know that I will no longer buy any of their products because of their disgraceful actions against Sony.  I will not play their games, watch their videos or finish writing my erotic fan-fiction starring Elena, Chloe and a tub of Cool Whip.  Don't you know that everything M$ touches turns to shit and now it's shitty touch has shit all over Uncharted.  I just can't enjoy the game knowing that other developers were involved in its making.  I feel violated and I'm sure Sony feels the same way.  You're a cheating whore, Naughty Dog, and my online petition will soon prove the masses agree.  I'll close by saying XBUX SUXXORZ!! Sony fur life!!! 

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By KingOfIceland
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By KamasamaK
    @HitmanAgent47:  As if generation matters, especially when you also brought up Tomb Raider. Not that it's important, but WinBack: Covert Operations had a cover system before any of those games, which took the idea from actual tactics used by people. And there's no way Uncharted could have "stolen" that from a game that was released one year prior. The design of a game like that takes place well over a year before it's released, and it was implemented well before the release according to previews. As far as Tomb Raider (which should be credited to Core Design, not Eidos), Naughty Dog was doing 3D platforming before that was released. They may not have had ledge grabbing and climbing, but that's not a particularly novel concept (and was done in 2D prior to either). The character is obviously partially based upon Indiana Jones, too. Using these previously established frameworks or archetypes is very common in creative mediums, and that includes even smaller things like camera placement and gameplay mechanics. There is very little that is wholly original anymore, and limiting the scope to the game's industry can be disingenuous. It would be unreasonable to need to officially acknowledge every origin of what is integrated into your product. There's a reason these types of things are not copyrightable. You're pulling at straws. Just think of how Hitman would be if it wasn't allowed to use concepts from prior games like MGS and Thief, and that could be extended to most modern games exchanging the names.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @TintedEyes: Yeah, however killswitch was a gen before gears of war. They also stole from resident evil 4 according to cliffy b, that's two genres from last gen. Uncharted practically stole gears combo of resident evil 4 and killswitch gameplay this gen and that's different. "
    So? 
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Red12b
    @Kamasama:
    check and mate!
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By VWGTI

What's the big deal here?

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Red12b
    @HitmanAgent47:
    I remember why I remembered your avatar now, a couple of months ago you made a forum topic where you said you were an Xbox fanboy and you liked to stir the pot, and we don't take kindly to that, so my advice to you sir, 
    Go suck a lemon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.