Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted film takes a turn for the worse?!

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

So we knew at some point someone was going to try and remake indiana jones with a hip dude on it and slap Naughty dog's awesome franchise as its name. 
    Then we found out who the screenwriter and people making the film were (and the fact that David russell produced anchorman is about the only saving grace there) 

And of course we thought the final nail in the coffin was when our very own Marky Mark 'Max Payne' Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahberg was going to be playing nathan fil..i mean drake and that they had roles for drakes father and uncle already planned out in the storyline (remember how crucial those guys were in the games?!)

HOWEVER 

What would you say if I told you that the film was going to be based around the drake FAMILY and not just Nate - what if it was about , and i quote :- 
    "   a family of globetrotting antique dealers." 

Yeah sounds good huh? Antique dealers are pretty rad! and globe trotting is something they do! 
     But thats not all they do!  

"  "This idea really turns me on that there's a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities... [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice," he said." 

Whooo boy! i sure can't wait for this one :/ 
     Seriously hollywood just stop doing shit like this and get back to trying to find replacements for Arnie and Stallone! i can not fathom why they are really planning to deviate this far form the source material - all i can think about now with these revelations is the blasted tomb raider movies, and by GOD we dont need anything in the vein of how those turned out! 

Info taken from :-  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-01-uncharted-movie-wanders-off-the-map

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Oh you mean like Indiana Jones 2, 3, and 4 had a family element? Or the Mummy movies, which in the best case scenario are about as good as an Uncharted movie could ever be? What a disaster that was. The hysteria over this is just kinda silly. Anyway I'll let you get back to it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

I'm fucking pissed.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

They messed up as soon as Nathan Fillion wasn't hired. 

(Actually they probably messed up way before that but that is when you knew it wouldn't be what you want it to be.)

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nick_verissimo

My guess is that whoever bought the rights to make a movie out of this couldn't come up with a good Drake story so they're putting out something simply with the Uncharted name attached to it.  I really didn't plan on watching the movie after the first press release, but fuck, I feel like my eyes are going to burn out of my skull if I even look at an advertisement for the movie.  

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By tallTuck94

nathan fillion or gtfo of my life uncharted

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Antique Dealers? It sounds like someone is trying to make bad parody of the films original idea.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @ryanwho: I think that's the thing though, Modern day Indiana jones is probably about 'as good as these could ever be' - and from what i recall from the latest indiana film the family dynamic went as this :- 

"Whenever someone is on the screen that is not indiana jones, i want to punch them in the fucking jaw" 

It's not mass hysteria, it's merely a grim foreboding of what is to come - the games are pretty awesome in their own right for story and character - and if modern indy and the mummy films are the touchstones as 'acceptable for how this should turn out' then i really dont think they should bother - those films were terrible in their own right when they were NOT be-spoiling on another Ip's characters and story.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ryanwho
    @OmegaPirate: I just don't get where people have these lofty standards for Uncharted 1. The whole endgame was dumb as hell. A movie loyal to the source material would have that ending and also be dumb as hell. It just seems like at this point some people are deadset on hating this movie no matter what and why should anyone listen to a person like that?
    Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Gilsham

so now it is ready to become the Antiques Roadshow: Mark Wahlburg ed

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coaxmetal

I don't even see why they would want to make a movie in the first place. The game itself already pretty cinematic, and had those awesome painted textures that made it really visually appealing but those probably won't translate into the movie. 

Also, I am not a huge fan of Nathan Fillion, or anything, but the dude looks, acts, and sounds like Drake (or vice versa, if you prefer). I mean, I respect Wahlberg. He shoots dudes and talks to animals. But the man does not seem a good Drake. 

also yea, that stuff about the family and the story sounds dumb. That being said though, ryanwho is right, the end of the story in Uncharted was pretty stupid.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Rayfield

"Hey let's make a movie from this game franchise everybody loves!" 

"Okay we're on board!" 

"Okay first, hire Marky Mark as Nathan Drake!" 

"Awesome choice!" 

"Then we'll put DeNiro and Pesci in as his family of awesome antique dealing badasses that nobody fucks with!" 

"Not like the story at all! Awesome!" 

"Yeah screw the story! What do vidya games know about story!" 

"Yeah dude awesome! Let's do this!" 

MOVIE OPENS

"Hey the movie's a flop and fanboys burnt down my house! What the hell did we do wrong?" 

"I don't know! The movie was awesome!" 

"How bout I shove this gun in your mouth and you tell me why you ruined me huh?" 

*muffled* "Awesome!"
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrPockets000
    @ryanwho: You have a point.  There's absolutely no reason to be hating on this film this early.  No script has been finalized, this family element is a possible idea floating around in one person's head. 

EDIT: Also, don't forget this is David O. Russell.  That man knows how to direct a fucking movie.  There is no rule that says that video game movies need to be 100% faithful to the source material.  
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By stinky

got some ideas for improvements, 

• get this, Nathan Drake totally knows kung-fu!  
    • Drake was also a black ops agent in his past. he doesn't like killing and wants to leave it in his past, but he can throw down with the best of him when he has to.     
    • His sister comes along and all she talks about is make-up as well as whats in style. this leaves her at odds with Nathan but her can-do girl attitude gets them out of a lot of sticky situations.
    • Chim-Chi, and adorable cross between teddy bear and monkey. this cute little guy with wide eyes leaves everyone smiling even in the most troubling times.
    • Antiques Road Show PBS tie-in. 
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @ryanwho: Oh believe me i'm with you as far as uncharted endings go - and i too would vote against them making a film identi-kit to either of the games!  Although i feel that maybe their effect on screen would be far less irritable once the gameplay elements of those endgame scenes were removed! 

Where i have an issue is that the core appeal of the games is the drake character, cliche as he may be and the scenarios he gets himself in to! 

The fact that he simply bounces from one incident to another all John Mclaine like and kind of makes it all up as he goes along is the 'fun' of the rollercoaster that is the storyline! changing it all up to basically make it sound like its heading to- a bastardization of the mummy and indy - with Mark wahlberg as the lead just doesnt quite hold the same weight when you are addressing the same characters! 

And yeah this is the internet :( people will hate on anything just for the sake of it, or sometimes because it makes their e-peen feel harder - i admit im down on the sound of this film so far, but it's just based on gut feeling rather than to act up to some kind of expected behaviour!
    I really hope to be proven wrong , i would love the 'family dynamic' to be a part of it and approached in a way that kept nate in the focus of the action while allowing a little more back plot going on at the same time than a standard action adventure film. 
    I would love marKy to put out the performance of his life, and for this to spawn a couple of also fun and entertaining films as sequels - but ive also been to the cinema fairly often in the past few years and i have seen very little to give me hope that a good FILM - let alone a good uncharted one - is going to come out of this!
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ryanwho said:

" @OmegaPirate: I just don't get where people have these lofty standards for Uncharted 1. The whole endgame was dumb as hell. A movie loyal to the source material would have that ending and also be dumb as hell. It just seems like at this point some people are deadset on hating this movie no matter what and why should anyone listen to a person like that? "

You don't have to have the same story but something inspired by those characters and what they do.  Even if it's good from what I know it's not gonna be anything like Uncharted at all.    
    JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoMu
    @OmegaPirate said:
    "  "This idea really turns me on that there's a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities... [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice," he said."
    I can see it already. In the sequel they'll have to deal with the Galactic Senate.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @JoMu said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    I can see it already. In the sequel they'll have to deal with the Galactic Senate. "
    I for one welcome our.... no wait a minute  - that sounds dreadful! 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

Going to be so creepy if Chloe and Elena are now Nate's sisters... will also be kinda hawt.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By MooseyMcMan

You know, if I want something exactly like the Uncharted games, I'll play one of the games. I'm not expecting this movie to be any good, but things often need to be changed in order for things to be adapted.  

This makes me think of the Mario Bros. movie. People often complain about how they changed pretty much everything from the games but really, would you expect one of those Mario games to translate well into a movie? They went completely nuts with that, and came out with something that most people hate, but personally I love because it's so awesomely bad. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Afroman269

I don't give a shit about this movie at all. I played Uncharted 2 and it was a great cinematic experience that I have no need to see something like this on the big screen, if I wanted to, I would just watch an Indiana Jones movie.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By inkerman

Why did they change the story? Like I don't understand why antique dealers are somehow edgier or cooler than Tomb Raiders. This isn't a 'we're going in a different direction' or 'updating the story', this is a 'we're making it worse for no reason'. I can't even comprehend how this mistake could have been made, unless, God forbid, they though Tomb Raiders were too criminal or something like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.