Anyone know why splitscreen does this nowadays?

#1 Edited by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

Why does splitscreen shift the players screens to the left and right rather than just splitting it across the middle of the screen. I'm sure there's a good explanation; I just don't know what it is. I know it's not just U3 because CoD: WaW did the same thing. Do any of you guys know why this is? I don't mind it that much. Just curious.

#2 Posted by Maajin (1038 posts) -

It's to maintain the aspect ratio of the screens. Dividing across the middle would get you too wide or too high screens depending on the orientation.

#3 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

My completely uneducated guess would be to maintain aspect ratio.

#4 Posted by AlmostSwedish (536 posts) -

Probably because the image would become to wide otherwise. Might be that they would have to render to much at the same time.

#5 Posted by theodacourt (510 posts) -

It's what the guys above me have said, and also to avoid confusion of having similar textures either side of the divide. If one player has a grey floor and another a grey roof, and everything is moving quickly it can get quite confusing.

#6 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

They just do it to PISS ME OFF.

#7 Posted by SpartyOn (499 posts) -

@theodacourt said:

It's what the guys above me have said, and also to avoid confusion of having similar textures either side of the divide. If one player has a grey floor and another a grey roof, and everything is moving quickly it can get quite confusing.

This was exactly what I had always assumed. It would get very very difficult to discern where one player's screen ends and the other's begins if there was no physical divider.

#8 Posted by BrickRoad (700 posts) -

Yeah, aspect ratio and image clarity I suppose like everyone else has said. Maybe it also put less strain on the system, as it's got less pixels to render out.

#9 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

Thanks everyone. I figured there was a legitimate explanation. I thought it might have to do with how much the systems have to process as well but yeah. Thanks.

#10 Posted by RobertOrri (1088 posts) -

To maintain aspect ratio and also to conserve framerate. Each line they don't have to render is a smidgen of performance saved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.