Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Can Uncharted 3 exceed the new Tomb Raider?

• 71 results
    Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By Overwatch

I don’t think so. And I think that Tomb Raider: Underworld is a better video game than Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Right. I said that. And now, before you kill me, let me explain myself. 

A little bit of background 

Tomb Raider

But for starters, a small disclaimer of what I played - I enjoyed the very first Tomb Raider immensely. Second one was great too and third one was acceptable. Then the whole Tomb Raider franchise went down to hell and Tomb Raider was over for me. Even positive reviews of Tomb Raider: Legend didn’t convince me to play it. I picked up Tomb Raider: Anniversary (mostly because memories and nostalgia) and I thought it was very good. And then came Tomb Raider: Underworld, one of the best Tomb Raider games in the whole series.

I wonder if that in-game self advertising on that bow will make it to the final game.
          I wonder if that in-game self advertising on that bow will make it to the final game.

Uncharted 

Now for Uncharted, I honestly don’t think that Drake’s Fortune was particularly great. Sure it wasn’t bad, but in my opinion it was just mediocre action adventure with a handful of wow moments and nice presentation. And mainly because of boring design and bad shooting, I didn’t finish it. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was a different story. Developers at Naughty Dog really learned their lesson with Drake’s Fortune and fine tuned a lot of things for Among Thieves, which was a drastically better game, than the first one. I finished Among Thieves and I was really confused by those perfect scores in reviews. No way that game deserved that. 

What's wrong with Uncharted?  

Let me focus on the second game for a while, because I think that Drake’s Deception will be very similar. What’s wrong about the second one? A lot of things. But mainly diversity in game design. There were moments when I really didn’t understand designer’s decisions. For every single great, awesome and jaw-dropping moment Among Thieves had, there were at least two horrible and not so greatly designed sections. Everything in between was just a little bit above standard triple A video game stuff - sometimes nice, sometimes boring, but always looking good.

Wow! 

Super fingers!
     Super fingers!
    Let me give you few examples. When some friends came over and wanted to see what PlayStation 3 could do, I would boot up Locomotion every single time. And my friend’s jaws were down every single time. Or I would show them some sections in the early jungle levels (“Dude, those wet clothes look cool!”), or something in snow (“Dude, look at those foot steppes!”). Or that awesome hotel view with pool on the roof and collapsing building (“Dude, that’s sick!”). Or... Oh, wait! That’s about it. Those things I remember. The rest of the game? Forgettable.

Not so wow...

According to this design document, no Yeti should attack us for the next 30 seconds.
     According to this design document, no Yeti should attack us for the next 30 seconds.
    Well, I didn’t forget the rest of the game, but these aren’t the nicest video game memories I have. For example, why there had to be those Yeti-like monsters? Why, Naughty Dog, why? Oh I know - you had to extend the game time somehow and the schedule was tight, so just throw there some imbalanced things like that. Sure, why not. Oh God, what would I give for more realistic enemies? Give me bears or some tough Himalayan tribe any day.

Almost every shooting passage dragged Among Thieves in my eyes down. And closer I was getting to the end, the worse it got. I absolutely loved characters (Chloe and Sully were great, the rest didn't impress me), cut scenes, climbing and stuff like that. But more and more shooting towards the end didn’t make things better, despite much better shooting and cover mechanics compared with Drake’s Fortune. 

Pen > Sword 

So, how should Naughty Dog improve that in the future? In short: make it much shorter and more like Tomb Raider. I think that (well, at least some) Tomb Raider games knew their strength very well. And no, I’m not talking about Lara’s chest. I’m talking about less shooting, more tomb raiding. And I belive that is exactly what we need to see in future Uncharted titles. And of course more story with more cut scenes, because acting in Uncharted is really great.

I love all Uncharted’s characters and I would love to see them interacting more with each other. I don’t want to crouch with Drake behind some badly arranged wall/fridge/car, shooting waves of enemies. And I’m afraid we are getting there, according to this quote from Naughty Dog’s co-president Evan Wells for Entertainment Weekly:  

Who doesn't hate campers? 

“We want to take on the big boys of the multi-player genre. It has become something here at Naughty Dog that will become an important part to all our games.”

And guess what - you have to have awesome shooting mechanics in multiplayer, if you want to approach the big boys (Call of Duty, Halo and others). And if you have those great mechanics in multiplayer, it would be foolish not to use them in singleplayer. More shooting in Uncharted equals less fun. At least for me. I don’t want Uncharted to became another shooter franchise. We have got plenty of shooters out there. 

Are we there yet? 

Ok, we got rid of shooting. See? That wasn’t too bad. It’s been done (again, some Tomb Raider games had very little shooting). Now, we need to do something more radical. Something, that has never been done before. At least not in the blockbuster triple A game sector. Let’s cut game’s length by a half. Surely you don’t want to play eight or ten hour game, do you? I bet you don’t. Now I don’t want to play the smart one here so I’ll give you another quote, by someone much smarter than me - Randy Smith from his Edge column:

"Why is the 12-hour-or-longer game the industry standard? Because consumers demand it. They would rather have a company expend their effort unnaturally stretching a three-hour concept over a dozen hours than have them really focus on making those first three pre-exhaustion hours, the ones you are actually going to play, as perfect as they can be. Isn't that weird?”

There’s not much I could add to this. I would love to play three or four hour games. Think how much time you lost in all those Bethesda’s games or in MMOs doing nothing or traveling. A ton. And now, how much time did you lose doing nothing or traveling in Portal? None. But that’s for another discussion. I think that Uncharted is absolutely perfect game for this three hour games idea. And if you would cut out all those boring, annoying and mediocre passages in Among Thieves and keep those awesome ones, I think it would be truly phenomenal video game. 

Let's raid some tombs! 

So yeah, like I said in the beginning, I think Tomb Raider Underworld is a better video game than Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I am perfectly aware that Uncharted 2 has absolutely exceptional animation, graphics, set pieces, acting, voice acting and better production values. I wouldn’t show any past Tomb Raider to my friends or my family. They wouldn’t be impressed. Uncharted 2 beats Underworld in almost every aspect. But for me, personally, Underworld was a better video game. Uncharted 2 was years ahead in presentation, staged action and in overall cinematic experience. But it wasn’t a better video game.

I’m absolutely looking forward to Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception and I truly belive it will be awesome and jaw dropping. But I’m afraid that it will be too much shooter heavy than I would like it to be. That’s probably fine for most players and that’s perfectly ok. But my excitement for the new Tomb Raider is much, much bigger than it is for Uncharted 3.

Come get some!      
    Come get some!      

I realize that we know next to nothing about either game, but just from that basic premise of both games, I know my pick. If I’d have to choose which one would I want to play first, I’d pick the new Tomb Raider. And after finishing that, I would jump to Uncharted 3 right away.   God, I'm looking forward to that choice.
    Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Overwatch

I don’t think so. And I think that Tomb Raider: Underworld is a better video game than Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Right. I said that. And now, before you kill me, let me explain myself. 

A little bit of background 

Tomb Raider

But for starters, a small disclaimer of what I played - I enjoyed the very first Tomb Raider immensely. Second one was great too and third one was acceptable. Then the whole Tomb Raider franchise went down to hell and Tomb Raider was over for me. Even positive reviews of Tomb Raider: Legend didn’t convince me to play it. I picked up Tomb Raider: Anniversary (mostly because memories and nostalgia) and I thought it was very good. And then came Tomb Raider: Underworld, one of the best Tomb Raider games in the whole series.

Uncharted 

Now for Uncharted, I honestly don’t think that Drake’s Fortune was particularly great. Sure it wasn’t bad, but in my opinion it was just mediocre action adventure with a handful of wow moments and nice presentation. And mainly because of boring design and bad shooting, I didn’t finish it. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was a different story. Developers at Naughty Dog really learned their lesson with Drake’s Fortune and fine tuned a lot of things for Among Thieves, which was a drastically better game, than the first one. I finished Among Thieves and I was really confused by those perfect scores in reviews. No way that game deserved that. 

What's wrong with Uncharted?  

Let me focus on the second game for a while, because I think that Drake’s Deception will be very similar. What’s wrong about the second one? A lot of things. But mainly diversity in game design. There were moments when I really didn’t understand designer’s decisions. For every single great, awesome and jaw-dropping moment Among Thieves had, there were at least two horrible and not so greatly designed sections. Everything in between was just a little bit above standard triple A video game stuff - sometimes nice, sometimes boring, but always looking good.

Wow! 

Super fingers!
     Super fingers!
    Let me give you few examples. When some friends came over and wanted to see what PlayStation 3 could do, I would boot up Locomotion every single time. And my friend’s jaws were down every single time. Or I would show them some sections in the early jungle levels (“Dude, those wet clothes look cool!”), or something in snow (“Dude, look at those foot steppes!”). Or that awesome hotel view with pool on the roof and collapsing building (“Dude, that’s sick!”). Or... Oh, wait! That’s about it. Those things I remember. The rest of the game? Forgettable.

Not so wow...

Well, I didn’t forget the rest of the game, but these aren’t the nicest video game memories I have. For example, why there had to be those Yeti-like monsters? Why, Naughty Dog, why? Oh I know - you had to extend the game time somehow and the schedule was tight, so just throw there some imbalanced things like that. Sure, why not. Oh God, what would I give for more realistic enemies? Give me bears or some tough Himalayan tribe any day.

Almost every shooting passage dragged Among Thieves in my eyes down. And closer I was getting to the end, the worse it got. I absolutely loved characters (Chloe and Sully were great, the rest didn't impress me), cut scenes, climbing and stuff like that. But more and more shooting towards the end didn’t make things better, despite much better shooting and cover mechanics compared with Drake’s Fortune. 

Pen > Sword 

So, how should Naughty Dog improve that in the future? In short: make it much shorter and more like Tomb Raider. I think that (well, at least some) Tomb Raider games knew their strength very well. And no, I’m not talking about Lara’s chest. I’m talking about less shooting, more tomb raiding. And I belive that is exactly what we need to see in future Uncharted titles. And of course more story with more cut scenes, because acting in Uncharted is really great.

I love all Uncharted’s characters and I would love to see them interacting more with each other. I don’t want to crouch with Drake behind some badly arranged wall/fridge/car, shooting waves of enemies. And I’m afraid we are getting there, according to this quote from Naughty Dog’s co-president Evan Wells for Entertainment Weekly:  

“We want to take on the big boys of the multi-player genre. It has become something here at Naughty Dog that will become an important part to all our games.”

And guess what - you have to have awesome shooting mechanics in multiplayer, if you want to approach the big boys (Call of Duty, Halo and others). And if you have those great mechanics in multiplayer, it would be foolish not to use them in singleplayer. More shooting in Uncharted equals less fun. At least for me. I don’t want Uncharted to became another shooter franchise. We have got plenty of shooters out there. 

Are we there yet? 

Ok, we got rid of shooting. See? That wasn’t too bad. It’s been done (again, some Tomb Raider games had very little shooting). Now, we need to do something more radical. Something, that has never been done before. At least not in the blockbuster triple A game sector. Let’s cut game’s length by a half. Surely you don’t want to play eight or ten hour game, do you? I bet you don’t. Now I don’t want to play the smart one here so I’ll give you another quote, by someone much smarter than me - Randy Smith from his Edge column:

"Why is the 12-hour-or-longer game the industry standard? Because consumers demand it. They would rather have a company expend their effort unnaturally stretching a three-hour concept over a dozen hours than have them really focus on making those first three pre-exhaustion hours, the ones you are actually going to play, as perfect as they can be. Isn't that weird?”

There’s not much I could add to this. I would love to play three or four hour games. Think how much time you lost in all those Bethesda’s games or in MMOs doing nothing or traveling. A ton. And now, how much time did you lose doing nothing or traveling in Portal? None. But that’s for another discussion. I think that Uncharted is absolutely perfect game for this three hour games idea. And if you would cut out all those boring, annoying and mediocre passages in Among Thieves and keep those awesome ones, I think it would be truly phenomenal video game. 

Let's raid some tombs! 

So yeah, like I said in the beginning, I think Tomb Raider Underworld is a better video game than Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I am perfectly aware that Uncharted 2 has absolutely exceptional animation, graphics, set pieces, acting, voice acting and better production values. I wouldn’t show any past Tomb Raider to my friends or my family. They wouldn’t be impressed. Uncharted 2 beats Underworld in almost every aspect. But for me, personally, Underworld was a better video game. Uncharted 2 was years ahead in presentation, staged action and in overall cinematic experience. But it wasn’t a better video game.

I’m absolutely looking forward to Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception and I truly belive it will be awesome and jaw dropping. But I’m afraid that it will be too much shooter heavy than I would like it to be. That’s probably fine for most players and that’s perfectly ok. But my excitement for the new Tomb Raider is much, much bigger than it is for Uncharted 3.

Come get some!      
    Come get some!      

I realize that we know next to nothing about either game, but just from that basic premise of both games, I know my pick. If I’d have to choose which one would I want to play first, I’d pick the new Tomb Raider. And after finishing that, I would jump to Uncharted 3 right away.   God, I'm looking forward to that choice.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

You should ask if the new Tomb Raider can exceed Uncharted 2. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

The Yeti's did suck, as did the Monster Smurfs aswell, but the shooting with the regular doods was still really fun, I thought, and refined and fluid enough that it's a staple of the series at this point. I definitely wouldn't turn down more complex platforming, though.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

I think it already has surpassed Tomb Raider as a series of quality Indiana Jonesing games.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By cstrang

OP, I disagree.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

I never really cared for Tomb Raider before and I didn't think Uncharted 2 was all that either (I'm bored of Gears clones).  If what they say about the new Tomb Raider is true I think it has a lot of potential.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Patriarch

Would you pay 60 dollars for a 3 hour game? Because I sure as hell wouldnt.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

Underworld is a good game, a glitchy game where puzzles sometimes failed to activate, I could get stuck in the scenery often  and  occasionally the way to go wasn't clear at all. I would be the first to defend the newer Tomb Raider games but Underworld was a huge step backwards from Legend and Anniversary.  You talk about the way they had to extend Uncharted 2's life was by the yetis when Crystal Dynamics couldn't even be bothered to  give underworld a proper ending. The final level has you basically climb up a big tower...and then it ends. Huge sections of that game are just driving over ramps or through long jungle corridors using a bike.   

The games have never been anything like each other in the way they play and I wouldn't be surprised if the new Tomb Raider plays much more like Uncharted.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grissefar

I smell a tryhard troll.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Kierkegaard

Two things.

One: @Overwatch: said:   For example, why there had to be those Yeti-like monsters? Why, Naughty Dog, why? Oh I know - you had to extend the game time somehow and the schedule was tight, so just throw there some imbalanced things like that. Sure, why not. Oh God, what would I give for more realistic enemies? Give me bears or some tough Himalayan tribe any day. 

They were some tough Himalayan tribe. The Yetis were just disguised tribesmen hopped up on the Tree of Life. And you were complaining about all the samey shooting sections right? Well these supernatural enemies forced you to rework your strategy and change up your approach. You should like them.  

Two: I'm not seeing any breakdown of why Tomb Raider: Underworld was good. Just why you didn't like Uncharted 2. Maybe work on that. You may have totally legitimate reasons for your opinions, sir, but all I'm seeing is vague complaining about one game and generalized praise for another. That's not really an argument. 

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fenixrevolution
    @Mordukai
    You should ask if the new Tomb Raider can exceed Uncharted 2. 
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I loved Uncharted 2 and ended up quiting Tomb Raider: Underworld about half way though.

Also why is having Yeti monsters (which were actually supernatural beings) such a big deal? The first game had those mutated monster people. Its not like there were to "unrealistic" for the world of Uncharted. Its like when people complained about the Aliens in Indy 4. The original movies had a chest that shoot lightning at Nazis and a cup that brought eternal life. The idea of Aliens really isn't that big of a deal. There are a million other reasons why Indy 4 is a terrible movie.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel

They add the supernatural stuff because it changes up the gameplay and because Indiana Jones had it.

I actually liked the zombies more than the yetis though.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By ninjakiller
    @Gabriel said:
    " They add the supernatural stuff because it changes up the gameplay and because Indiana Jones had it.   

This. 

It's Indiana minus the whip and hat. 
    RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RavenX302

The Uncharted games are certainly well made games and I doubt that will be different with the new one. Personally, I think they are unbelievable bland and the way some people think the characters are so fantastically drawn out makes me wonder just how many people have ever picked up a book or watched any number of decent films. 

To me Tomb Raider sounds a little more interesting and has more promise for my personal taste, but we'll have to wait and see some more of the new Reboot.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah i guess this is why the new tomb raider is trying to be more like uncharted.... but in an open world setting. 

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By THRICE

Uncharted has become the standard bearer for the adventure genre after 2. The Tomb Raider reboot has to prove itself now against a game which initially was viewed as a "Dude Raider" and came out and blew TR out of the water. The reboot is an excellent concept and I really hope it is good as Uncharted 1&2 have really awakened that childhood dream of going on Indiana Jones style adventures.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AuthenticM

I don't agree with a single thing you've put forward, OP. Not only do I disagree, but I believe that you are flat-out wrong.

Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Overwatch
    @Abyssfull said:
    " The Yeti's did suck, as did the Monster Smurfs aswell, but the shooting with the regular doods was still really fun, I thought, and refined and fluid enough that it's a staple of the series at this point. I definitely wouldn't turn down more complex platforming, though. "
    Yeah, you're right - those Smurfs were really not fun. Anything "supernatural" wasn't fun for me in Uncharted 2. And yes, shooting with normal dudes was fun, definetly. But there was a bit too much of it, at least for my taste. 

@Kierkegaard said:
    " Well these supernatural enemies forced you to rework your strategy and change up your approach. You should like them.       
     Two: I'm not seeing any breakdown of why Tomb Raider: Underworld was good. Just why you didn't like Uncharted 2. Maybe work on that. You may have totally legitimate reasons for your opinions, sir, but all I'm seeing is vague complaining about one game and generalized praise for another. That's not really an argument.  "
    Great points. I didn't think about those supernatural enemies that way - I sure had to reworked my strategy, but it just wasn't fun, simply annoying.  Yeah, I'm aware I didn't breakdown Underworld much, but I wanted to focus on Uncharted, because I think that it would be absolutely flawless game just with few simple touchces (less shooting and shorter lenght). Will do better for my next blog, I promise :).

@The_Patriarch said:
    " Would you pay 60 dollars for a 3 hour game? Because I sure as hell wouldnt. "
    Me neither. Only if that 3 hour game would have great multiplayer and singleplayer would be replayable like hell. Maybe. But that's for another discussion.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By delta_ass

Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. 

Tomb Raider Underworld wasn't even a good game.

Redharlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Redharlow

As long as they keep it over the top and don't pull an Indiana Jones and Nuke the fridge the game will be better then its predecessor. The simplest way to look at it is this. The basic gameplay mechanics for Uncharted 2 will be mostly the same in 3, right? So it is a tried and true system. Perfect? No. Does it's job without too many hitches? Absolutely. Has anyone played this new Tomb Raider yet? Not the masses so it isn't fair to say that a game that no one has played will be better then the next iteration in a series that most people have.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By benjaebe

I think the new Tomb Raider is aiming for something much, much different than Uncharted is known for. From what I can tell, it's an open-world (basically) survival game with horror elements. Uncharted is the king of cinematic action-adventure movie gameplay, and I can't see that ending anytime soon.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Based on past experiences and knowledge, yes.  Uncharted 3 will be better.  Not saying the new Tomb Raider would be bad but Uncharted's quality has been really high so far, much higher than the Tomb Rider games, at least of the last 2 generations for most people. 

And people should stop telling others what games deserve, especially when reviewers have opinions just like the rest of us.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By RobotHamster

You should ask if the whole game will be better than just Uncharted 2's train level.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be willing to say Uncharted 1 is better than any Tomb Raider game.  I will say though the reboot looks interesting so far.  There's definitely problems with Uncharted 1 and 2 (mainly Yetis/Monster Smurfs, supernatural stuff).  But everything besides those parts were amazing to me.
    THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By THRICE
    @xobballox said:
    " I'd be willing to say Uncharted 1 is better than any Tomb Raider game.  I will say though the reboot looks interesting so far.  There's definitely problems with Uncharted 1 and 2 (mainly Yetis/Monster Smurfs, supernatural stuff).  But everything besides those parts were amazing to me. "
    You know Tomb Raider has exponentially more and far worse implemented super natural elements right? I think it's the best in the series but the crux of Tomb Raider 2's plot  had a dagger that turned someone into a dragon, that is far worse comparatively than the fairly tame supernatural elements of Uncharted having zombies and the man group.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@THRICE said:
    " @xobballox said:
    " I'd be willing to say Uncharted 1 is better than any Tomb Raider game.  I will say though the reboot looks interesting so far.  There's definitely problems with Uncharted 1 and 2 (mainly Yetis/Monster Smurfs, supernatural stuff).  But everything besides those parts were amazing to me. "
    You know Tomb Raider has exponentially more and far worse implemented super natural elements right? I think it's the best in the series but the crux of Tomb Raider 2's plot  had a dagger that turned someone into a dragon, that is far worse comparatively than the fairly tame supernatural elements of Uncharted having zombies and the man group. "
    What?  I wasn't faulting Uncharted at all, I was just saying that those are the two parts of Uncharted  that I thought could have been better.  (Notice I said Uncharted 1 is better than any Tomb Raider game in my opinion) 
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Overwatch:  3 things.  

1) Uncharted is an action adventure. The new Tomb Raider is a survivor horror. You really can't compare the 2. 
    2) Drake is WAY better then Lara. 
    3) Uncharted 3 will blow every game ever made away. 

Sooooooooooooooo.......

Thanks. (:
     Thanks. (:
    Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Kierkegaard
    @Overwatch said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " The Yeti's did suck, as did the Monster Smurfs aswell, but the shooting with the regular doods was still really fun, I thought, and refined and fluid enough that it's a staple of the series at this point. I definitely wouldn't turn down more complex platforming, though. "
    Yeah, you're right - those Smurfs were really not fun. Anything "supernatural" wasn't fun for me in Uncharted 2. And yes, shooting with normal dudes was fun, definetly. But there was a bit too much of it, at least for my taste. 

@Kierkegaard said:
    " Well these supernatural enemies forced you to rework your strategy and change up your approach. You should like them.       
     Two: I'm not seeing any breakdown of why Tomb Raider: Underworld was good. Just why you didn't like Uncharted 2. Maybe work on that. You may have totally legitimate reasons for your opinions, sir, but all I'm seeing is vague complaining about one game and generalized praise for another. That's not really an argument.  "
    Great points. I didn't think about those supernatural enemies that way - I sure had to reworked my strategy, but it just wasn't fun, simply annoying.  Yeah, I'm aware I didn't breakdown Underworld much, but I wanted to focus on Uncharted, because I think that it would be absolutely flawless game just with few simple touchces (less shooting and shorter lenght). Will do better for my next blog, I promise :).

@The_Patriarch said:
    " Would you pay 60 dollars for a 3 hour game? Because I sure as hell wouldnt. "
    Me neither. Only if that 3 hour game would have great multiplayer and singleplayer would be replayable like hell. Maybe. But that's for another discussion. "
    Eh, the ancient tribesmen didn't bother me. I thought how they forced me to run in panic when they got near and make precise headshots to take one down, then take his crossbow and kill his friends was cool and fit the story beat. In this mystical, untouched land, having truly frightening, powerful enemies makes way more sense than anything else.  

And you're really underselling your suggestions. You want Uncharted to fundamentally change into a more puzzle and traversal-based game with limited shooting, and for it to be much shorter. That's asking for an entire redesign, not "a few simple touches." And yeah, be careful about universal language that makes what you would like sound like what must be done. It can be pretentious. Uncharted 2 is a game that millions have loved and the vast majority of critics have adored, so do recognize that your opinion, while not invalid, is in the minority and thus will be met with skepticism. I personally still find playing through Uncharted 2 on normal difficulty to be a dream-like experience of pacing, storytelling, and fun and varied actions sequences. You seem to dislike not for what it is, but for what it is not. 
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @Jimbo: lawl, seriously? the only thing uncharted and gears have in common is that they are both 3rd person shooters with duck and cover mechanics, completely different games and setting. 
     really stupid comment...  
    that's why nobody respects fanboys, they say retarded things and mostly out of context.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Jimbo said:
    " I never really cared for Tomb Raider before and I didn't think Uncharted 2 was all that either (I'm bored of Gears clones).  If what they say about the new Tomb Raider is true I think it has a lot of potential. "
    I don't see any Locusts in Uncharted. So explain, how is it a clone?
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By awesomeusername
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    " @Jimbo: lawl, seriously? the only thing uncharted and gears have in common is that they are both 3rd person shooters with duck and cover mechanics, completely different games and setting.  really stupid comment...  that's why nobody respects fanboys, they say retarded things and mostly out of context. "
    Exactly, you just ended the argument that hasn't even started. Thank you.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    " @Jimbo: lawl, seriously? the only thing uncharted and gears have in common is that they are both 3rd person shooters with duck and cover mechanics, completely different games and setting.  really stupid comment...  that's why nobody respects fanboys, they say retarded things and mostly out of context. "
    So apart from the principal game mechanic being identical, they're 'completely different games'?  Nice one.  Perhaps the term 'Doom Clone' was before your time.

And I think you are wildly overestimating how much your respect means to me...
    oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oatz

Yes, it can and will.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
    TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheBlindChessman
    Unless Nolan North voices the new Lara Croft, not a chance in hell. 

@Delta_Ass said:

" Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.   Tomb Raider Underworld wasn't even a good game. "

Yeah that about sums it up.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I love both the Uncharted games but I'd definitely agree that there's many things Tomb Raider still does better.  For one, I dislike how combat focused Uncharted is.  It's basically Gears of War with nicer environments.  Tomb Raider is the exact opposite of that, there's very little combat and the game is instead focused on exploration and puzzling solving, which in my opinion is much more rewarding.  But I don't see why the two need to be compared, especially as the new one is moving even further away from Uncharted to have an even heavier focus on the exploration and survival elements. 

Uncharted 3 will no doubt retain its high quality but Tomb Raider is hopefully going to deliver a much more satisfying gameplay experience, at least for me.  (as someone who is sick to death of third person shooters).

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShaneDev

You do not seem to give many reason why Tomb Raider can be better just things you didn't like about Uncharted 2 and assume they aren't going to fix them. The shooting in Uncharted 2 felt good to me but it also felt like every other third person shooter. To me it got memorable and more entertaining when the shooting mixed with the climbing and platforming. I had no huge complaints with Uncharted 2 it was a great game but for Uncharted 3 I hope they add puzzles that require brain power not just opening the journal to get the answer. Maybe I should write a blog about Uncharted 2 and finally get those quest points.

I have never played a Tomb Raider game though so god knows what they are like. 

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#39  Edited By Soap
    @Mordukai said:
    " You should ask if the new Tomb Raider can exceed Uncharted 2.  "
    This, and I couldn't agree less with you about Underground being better than Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2 is so much better it's almost a criminal opinion to think otherwise. (almost :P)
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hitchenson
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By awesomeusername
    @bitcloud said:
    " @awesomeusername: He thinks he's cool because he hates what is considered to be the best game this generation and ranks with some of the best ever made. "
    Hahaha, true. You have to be a complete liar to say you don't like the Uncharted series.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

I really do enjoy Tomb Raider, and I want Underworld ever since I played the demo a week ago on PC. But every time I play it, I imagine what it could be if it were like Uncharted. The game would be amazing. I fell in love with Tomb Raider (Lara Croft) at one time, and I'm sure I can do it again.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sarkhan

IMPO, i would love to see TR and UC stand shoulder to shoulder. I love Drake. It's my pers fav character. But i loved TR1,2,legend and GOL. On paper the same, but playing.....hell no. Love both Franchises, and i wish them both well. (I'll buy them both^^)    
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I'm expecting UC3 to steal the show. Tomb Raider has a HUGE hill to climb if it want's to stand up against UC3, let alone take the crown.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Uncharted 1 could exceed the new Tomb Raider. Uncharted 2 blows it out of the water. And 3 will chop it up into a fine dust.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ryanwho

Uncharted 1 can exceed the new Tombraider.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The problem with Uncharted is that Drake spends the majority of the game killing people. Naughty Dog spends a lot of time making him a sympathetic and charming character who believes in the sanctity of life and won't let a random stranger be left to die, but he'll mow down thousands of mercenaries? Come on now, that is some seriously schizophrenic character design. 

That said, I agree with the OP in the idea of making Uncharted less GUNS DESTROY KILL, but not necessarily its implementation.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Agent47

I can fully understand this statement.Uncharted is basically Tomb Raider but a action film style version.I think the new Tomb Raider can exceed UC3 in terms of originality and the new approach.UC3 is gonna be like GoW3, just like the previous ones but with better gameplay.Of course I am not going to play UC3 so I can't comment on that.The new Tomb Raider has me psyched and hyped though.

On the side:Posting threads like this will get you a sudden shit storm from fanboys...just saying.Plus you can expect a quick 1 min reply saying "Whaaa UC DE BEZT!"

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By HadesTimes

Considering the track record of the two series I would be more afraid of Tomb Raider not living up to it's all ready somewhat bloated hype.  They haven't shown ANY actual gameplay as far as we know all the screens could be from cinematics.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CaLe

Yeah, maybe when hell freezes over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.