Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Get Off My Plane: A Look at Uncharted 3's E3 Demo

• 70 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Me telling you that Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception looks as though it will offer a thrilling cinematic single-player experience is probably unnecessary. That's what Naughty Dogdoes. There's no identifiable reason to assume that Uncharted 3 would suddenly fall off the wagon, unless the team suddenly decided to take on a massive, collective drug habit. Fortunately, the representative developers on hand at E3 2011 appeared stone-cold sober during my demo of the game. Perhaps a bit hungover, but honestly, who isn't at this show?

So, again, none of what I'm about to tell you will be surprising. What it may be, however, is enticing. As if the level shown at Sony's press conference weren't enticing enough--with its impressive "On a Boat" physics and animation, intense gunplay, and insane water effects, that level more or less sealed the notion that, yes, Uncharted 3 was going to be another big, honking blockbuster action game. Then myself, alongside a theater full of other gobsmacked writers, found ourselves privy to a new, otherwise unseen level. That double-sealed the deal.

Eventually, you're gonna want to get on that plane, by any means necessary.

Snippets of this level could be seen in Uncharted 3's E3 trailer--specifically, the moment at the end when you see Nathan Drake hanging off the back of an airborne cargo plane all end of Air Force One style, and on the verge of a horrid crushing death via a massive cargo crate. Now, I can actually give you a little context for how that whole bit of life-threatening absurdity came about.

The scene opens with Nathan and series love interest Elena infiltrating a desert settlement full of gun-toting thugs. This marked a particularly emotional moment for the pair--an interesting juxtaposition to the action-heavy footage we tend to see of these sorts of games at trade shows. Nathan knows he's about to go do something incredibly dangerous and stupid, and after convincing Elena that he will help her over the fence into the compound after he climbs to the top, he instead opts to drop down and leave her on the other side. Nathan leaves her behind because what he's about to embark upon is borderline suicidal, and in an act of selflessness, he insists she leave in a nearby jeep, out of fear that he might lose her "again."

From a technical standpoint, this is actually a pretty neat look at, since it gives an indication of the improved facial animations (especially in the eyes) for each of the major characters. More importantly though, it was honestly one of the more effective attempts at emotional resonance I've seen anywhere in this series. Some of the dramatic beats in Uncharted 2 could, at times, feel a little strangely paced and overbearing in nature. Here, the scene delivers on the hoped-for impact. It reflects both in the technology, and the vocal performance.

But enough of that emotional garbage, as you undoubtedly want to hear about Nathan Drake smoking dudes and blowing shit up. Good news: he does a lot of that. Once Elena disembarks the scene, Nathan goes right to work, initially trying to stealth his way toward the plane, but after a short time, he's in the thick of battle against the nearby thugs.

One of the most impressive things this level specifically demonstrated is Uncharted 3's fluidity of combat. Let's face it: this has been the E3 of the quicktime event. And while a few of those are fine, a nonstop deluge of them can make a game's action feel mechanical and distancing for the player. Admittedly, I am saying this second-hand, as the demo I saw was developer-steered, but the impression I got from watching him play through this section was that quicktime events simply don't exist here, at least not in the traditional sense.

This is not an easy thing to do!

As Drake runs across rooftops to try and catch up to the plane, he takes down a variety of enemies in multiple ways--one he pulls over the edge of a rooftop via a stealthy move, and another he simply leaps down upon from a higher roof after a running jump--and the whole thing looked, dare I say it, effortless. There weren't a million button prompts, either. Drake wasn't running on rails, like the Need for Speed: The Run out-of-car sequences. This kind of fluid action is something that's always felt good in Uncharted, but here, it just looks incredible.

After a bit of acrobatic vehicular action--of which all I will say is that Nathan Drake has exceptional balance when riding on the hood of a moving vehicle--Drake works his way up into the landing gear of the plane. He begins crawling through a ventilation duct that runs underneath the floor of the plane, only to run smack dab into an area occupied by a rather hefty guard. This launches into one of the most impressive fight scenes I've ever seen in a game.

Drake is out-sized and outmatched handily. Recall the fight between Indiana Jones and the massive guard toward the end of Temple of Doom, and you'll have an idea of how this plays out. It's not just the size, either. The beats of the fight, the flow of the action, all of it recalls the great adventure movie fights. That's not something I say lightly, as I often compare fisticuffs in games to the classic robot fight between Rock 'em and Sock 'em. Not here. The way the camera captures the action, and the way the characters animate, it feels dynamic, like a properly choreographed battle between a hero and a villain. And no button prompts! None that I saw, anyway. This wasn't just a pile of canned cutscene animation--I kept looking back at the developer to check the controller and be sure he was actually playing, and unless he's a master of smoke and mirrors, he was most definitely playing along.

Where things go from there, you can logically guess based on that stinger from the E3 trailer. I've omitted a few key details from this recap as some of this stuff really needs to be experienced first-hand to be truly appreciated. Suffice it to say, Naughty Dog's E3 showing was incredibly impressive, and seems to indicate that come November 1st, we're all in for a half-tucked treat.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Me telling you that Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception looks as though it will offer a thrilling cinematic single-player experience is probably unnecessary. That's what Naughty Dogdoes. There's no identifiable reason to assume that Uncharted 3 would suddenly fall off the wagon, unless the team suddenly decided to take on a massive, collective drug habit. Fortunately, the representative developers on hand at E3 2011 appeared stone-cold sober during my demo of the game. Perhaps a bit hungover, but honestly, who isn't at this show?

So, again, none of what I'm about to tell you will be surprising. What it may be, however, is enticing. As if the level shown at Sony's press conference weren't enticing enough--with its impressive "On a Boat" physics and animation, intense gunplay, and insane water effects, that level more or less sealed the notion that, yes, Uncharted 3 was going to be another big, honking blockbuster action game. Then myself, alongside a theater full of other gobsmacked writers, found ourselves privy to a new, otherwise unseen level. That double-sealed the deal.

Snippets of this level could be seen in Uncharted 3's E3 trailer--specifically, the moment at the end when you see Nathan Drake hanging off the back of an airborne cargo plane all end of Air Force One style, and on the verge of a horrid crushing death via a massive cargo crate. Now, I can actually give you a little context for how that whole bit of life-threatening absurdity came about.

The scene opens with Nathan and series love interest Elena infiltrating a desert settlement full of gun-toting thugs. This marked a particularly emotional moment for the pair--an interesting juxtaposition to the action-heavy footage we tend to see of these sorts of games at trade shows. Nathan knows he's about to go do something incredibly dangerous and stupid, and after convincing Elena that he will help her over the fence into the compound after he climbs to the top, he instead opts to drop down and leave her on the other side. Nathan leaves her behind because what he's about to embark upon is borderline suicidal, and in an act of selflessness, he insists she leave in a nearby jeep, out of fear that he might lose her "again."

From a technical standpoint, this is actually a pretty neat look at, since it gives an indication of the improved facial animations (especially in the eyes) for each of the major characters. More importantly though, it was honestly one of the more effective attempts at emotional resonance I've seen anywhere in this series. Some of the dramatic beats in Uncharted 2 could, at times, feel a little strangely paced and overbearing in nature. Here, the scene delivers on the hoped-for impact. It reflects both in the technology, and the vocal performance.

But enough of that emotional garbage, as you undoubtedly want to hear about Nathan Drake smoking dudes and blowing shit up. Good news: he does a lot of that. Once Elena disembarks the scene, Nathan goes right to work, initially trying to stealth his way toward the plane, but after a short time, he's in the thick of battle against the nearby thugs.

One of the most impressive things this level specifically demonstrated is Uncharted 3's fluidity of combat. Let's face it: this has been the E3 of the quicktime event. And while a few of those are fine, a nonstop deluge of them can make a game's action feel mechanical and distancing for the player. Admittedly, I am saying this second-hand, as the demo I saw was developer-steered, but the impression I got from watching him play through this section was that quicktime events simply don't exist here, at least not in the traditional sense.

As Drake runs across rooftops to try and catch up to the plane, he takes down a variety of enemies in multiple ways--one he pulls over the edge of a rooftop via a stealthy move, and another he simply leaps down upon from a higher roof after a running jump--and the whole thing looked, dare I say it, effortless. There weren't a million button prompts, either. Drake wasn't running on rails, like the Need for Speed: The Run out-of-car sequences. This kind of fluid action is something that's always felt good in Uncharted, but here, it just looks incredible.

After a bit of acrobatic vehicular action--of which all I will say is that Nathan Drake has exceptional balance when riding on the hood of a moving vehicle--Drake works his way up into the landing gear of the plane. He begins crawling through a ventilation duct that runs underneath the floor of the plane, only to run smack dab into an area occupied by a rather hefty guard. This launches into one of the most impressive fight scenes I've ever seen in a game.

Drake is out-sized and outmatched handily. Recall the fight between Indiana Jones and the massive guard toward the end of Temple of Doom, and you'll have an idea of how this plays out. It's not just the size, either. The beats of the fight, the flow of the action, all of it recalls the great adventure movie fights. That's not something I say lightly, as I often compare fisticuffs in games to the classic robot fight between Rock 'em and Sock 'em. Not here. The way the camera captures the action, and the way the characters animate, it feels dynamic, like a properly choreographed battle between a hero and a villain. And no button prompts! None that I saw, anyway. This wasn't just a pile of canned cutscene animation--I kept looking back at the developer to check the controller and be sure he was actually playing, and unless he's a master of smoke and mirrors, he was most definitely playing along.

Where things go from there, you can logically guess based on that stinger from the E3 trailer. I've omitted a few key details from this recap as some of this stuff really needs to be experienced first-hand to be truly appreciated. Suffice it to say, Naughty Dog's E3 showing was incredibly impressive, and seems to indicate that come November 1st, we're all in for a half-tucked treat.

Bunny_of_grr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bunny_of_grr

I really want this game! Seems like it will be a wonderful experience.
    Great write up Alex!

Henrythetrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Henrythetrain

more uncharted = good

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Zaph

...and seems to indicate that come November 1st, we're all in for a half-tucked treat.

Nicely done Alex, nicely done...

Troncek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Troncek

Already preordered.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By AuthenticM

I am buying this game, and the Playstation television so that I can experience this awesome game in 3D, as apparently it's quite impressive.

blusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blusher

I hope it's not entirely on rails like Among Thieves was.  

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269

Do want.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Master_Funk

Sounds incredible. And hopefully, both of these sequences shown will pale in comparison to other stuff in the game that they havent shown.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By RobotHamster

This game gives me a boner.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kollay

Just finished Uncharted 2 last night, and boy am I ready for more Drake craziness. I remember listening to the 2009 GOTY podcast and was confused as to what those "blue men" were that the dudes talked about. Then I played it. Then I fought them. Those were complete fucking assholes! Just grab an auto-shottie and nab their crossbow to finish the rest of the dudes off.

Nihilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nihilius

I really cannot wait to play this.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brendan

The thing that I find most impressive is that Naughty Dog doesn't seem to be trading more cinematic visuals for less gameplay, which is always the problem when trying to create a more exciting game (visually) in these modern times.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benjaebe

Great write-up. Can't wait for the beta to start.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PLWolf

Pre-order is in, now it's all about the waiting. It's going to be awesome!

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chris_Ihao

Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption, GT5 and LA Noire (although I cross my fingers). Pretty much sums up all that I miss about next gen consoles.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

@blusher said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Which part of Uncharted 2 was on rails? In fact the whole reason that game was so impressive was that all the scenes that would be cutscenes or on rails sections in other games, were handled in real time by the player.

I'm so freaking excited for this game. Uncharted 2 was my favorite game ever tied with Mass Effect 2, so seeing any bit of Drake always makes me lose my mind.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_destroyer

I want my half tucked treat.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By saddlebrown

@LiquidPrince said:

@blusher said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Which part of Uncharted 2 was on rails? In fact the whole reason that game was so impressive was that all the scenes that would be cutscenes or on rails sections in other games, were handled in real time by the player.

I think he means, "super linear," which, yeah, Uncharted 2 was. But I don't get why "linear" has become a bad word in recent years. Linear games are a carefully crafted experience. Non-linear games allow for player freedom. Both are completely valid, offering completely different things. If someone doesn't like linear games AT ALL, then I'm inclined to believe that they're just a video game hipster. They don't like thinking that everybody playing the game had the exact same experiences as them. They want their playthrough to be totally unique to them.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

@whatisdelicious said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@blusher said:

I think he means, "super linear," which, yeah, Uncharted 2 was. But I don't get why "linear" has become a bad word in recent years. Linear games are a carefully crafted experience. Non-linear games allow for player freedom. Both are completely valid, offering completely different things. If someone doesn't like linear games AT ALL, then I'm inclined to believe that they're just a video game hipster. They don't like thinking that everybody playing the game had the exact same experiences as them. They want their playthrough to be totally unique to them.

Linear and on rails are completely different terms. Like you said however, linear games have the ability to be finely crafted, so I never see a problem with them. In fact I prefer them a lot of the time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By Yummylee

That motherfucking Drake on that motherfucking plane! Anywhoo more of what is to be expected. Game will be phenomenal yadda yadda, and a sure day one purchase for me! Still, I find it awfully odd that I'm looking forward to the multiplayer more than I am the single player...

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cornman89

Cargo plane = 2011's train level?

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By saddlebrown

@LiquidPrince said:

@whatisdelicious said:

Linear and on rails are completely different terms. Like you said however, linear games have the ability to be finely crafted, so I never see a problem with them. In fact I prefer them a lot of the time.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think he understood the difference. The closest thing Uncharted 2 got to "on-rails" was the train sequence, but that's only because the train was literally "on rails." Drake's Fortune had like one on-rails sequence, I think. Where Elena's driving and you have to shoot guys? I think. It's been awhile.

But yeah, I'm way more into linear games than non-linear games usually too.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By mosdl

@LiquidPrince said:

@blusher said:

I'm so freaking excited for this game. Uncharted 2 was my favorite game ever tied with Mass Effect 2, so seeing any bit of Drake always makes me lose my mind.

There was that one sequence where you are running toward the camera from a large vehicle that was kinda railsy.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince

@mosdl said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@blusher said:

There was that one sequence where you are running toward the camera from a large vehicle that was kinda railsy.

Except for the fact that it wasn't. You maintained full control of Drake. The card could have run you over if you didn't shoot it.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    @LiquidPrince said:

@mosdl said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@blusher said:

Except for the fact that it wasn't. You maintained full control of Drake. The card could have run you over if you didn't shoot it.

And, more importantly, it was fucking awesome so who gives a shit (DISCLAIMER: statement, not direct insult or whatever)?  

Except that the first time i did it, I accidentally pointed the control stick in the wrong direction and ran head first into the truck, bullets spraying around like a mad man. 
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Loved this series for both its action and story and Uncharted 3 sounds like it won't disappoint.

DeadlyVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By DeadlyVirus

Single player looks great, hope the multiplayer brings a little more customization and variety. We're looking at a strong GOTY contender

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Devoid

Pumped as heck for this.This time I'll get the damn game early enough to actually play online.

Or I could play the beta, whatever.

The programming talk for the boat scene was crazy.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@blusher said:

I don't think you know what "on rails" means.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By xpgamer7

Even though I was expecting this, everything I hear about the game is good news. Better than that though is the fact that the news keeps topping itself.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By MeatSim

Everything about this game sounds so damn impressive.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

This game is freaking awesome, impressive! Can't wait to play!!!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god this game looks so much better than U2...  i cant wait

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Red

Pre-ordered right now. 
    Also, Half-Tucked Treat is the name of my new post-punk band.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By huser

I see more Living Daylights than Airforce One, especially given the background, but yeah a spectacular scene.

xdarnokx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xdarnokx

In my opinion this was definitely the best game shown at E3 this year.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

HYPE = MAXIMUM!

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cazamalos

I WANT TO PLAY IT RIGHT NOW

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By godzilla_sushi

This game just looks so darn neat. I'm trying to hang in there for a PS3 bundle that I like.....in the meantime all I can do is read about Uncharted!

YoSoyJu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By YoSoyJu

I loved the writeup and the interview, Alex. Great job!

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By tebbit

@Red said:

Pre-ordered right now. Also, Half-Tucked Treat is the name of my new post-punk band.

I'll give you a half-tucked treat.

blusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blusher
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@blusher said:

Ok, that was a poor choice of words.  But you have to admit that the entire game you're led down what's basically a corridor with a whole bunch of Hollywood smoke and mirrors.  And I understand that Naughty Dog set out to create that "rollercoaster" experience.   

It just sometimes felt a little superficial in terms of gameplay.  Even the climbing sequences, it was always blatantly obvious which conspicuous outcropping to leap towards next.  Good thing the linearity is balanced by some pretty solid combat mechanics (though CQC is just...not great).
    g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By g6065

Only question is whether it's going to be worth the upgrade to 3.60.

I'd say.....yes.

rudyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rudyarr

@blusher said:

whaaaaaaat???????????

rudyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rudyarr

@blusher said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@blusher said:

Ok, that was a poor choice of words. But you have to admit that the entire game you're led down what's basically a corridor with a whole bunch of Hollywood smoke and mirrors. And I understand that Naughty Dog set out to create that "rollercoaster" experience. It just sometimes felt a little superficial in terms of gameplay. Even the climbing sequences, it was always blatantly obvious which conspicuous outcropping to leap towards next. Good thing the linearity is balanced by some pretty solid combat mechanics (though CQC is just...not great).

whhhhaaaaattt?????? You still are not making any sense....

I can probably name more than a 100 games that are linear(For 1 Super Mario...yeah that game was sooooo horrible -___-). The CQC was great what are you talking about?!?!?!

aaaarrggghhh the internet is making me choke at my own rage here

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#47  Edited By Brackynews

Few "good guys" make me more conscious of playing a mass murderer than Nathan Drake. I think it's the fountain of personality between stages, and that "holy crap" attitude towards being unbelievably lucky about his own mortality when he's not snapping necks. Sure it's probably that Penny Arcade strip's faultbut other than the bosses I'm not certain any of the... thousands of henchman my Drake has killed ever managed to hurt anyone. Certainly not him because they can't aim for shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blusher:

No Caption Provided
    Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Thor_Molecules

Great piece, Alex! Really got my excitement level for this game up a notch.
    I can't wait for some more Uncharted, seeing as Uncharted 2 was one of the highest quality games I have ever played. 

I love the Drake!

BokChoii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BokChoii

That's Extraordinary cant wait for the game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.