How to take out the armoured dudes FAST

#1 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

So, I started playing co-op adventure as my first foray into the co-op aspects of UC3 and I HATED it at first. There seemed to be less enemy variety than the second, I didn't like the way the story elements were incorporated and I hated the bullet sponge enemies. Specifically the armoured dudes who would take 3/4 clips to take down if you were lucky.

Then I discovered that if you shot their helmets off, they'd go down in one or two melee hits...

Did I miss something in the tutorial?! Anyone else not realise this until several hours in? It's been making the co-op (whether hunter or adventure modes) infinitely more bearable. I'm finally having fun again whereas before it just felt like the game was trying my patience whenever 2 or more of those dudes showed up.

#2 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

Ah Combat Puzzles......

#3 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -

Yeah. I realized that almost immediately. The tactic I like to use is sneak behind them, co-op their helmet off and then break their neck.

Also, one sniper shot to the head will kill them instantly. But since enemies move around a lot more than Uncharted 2, it's harder to pull off headshots on them.

#4 Posted by RecSpec (3770 posts) -

If you try to melee them with the helmet still on, then the game tells you to shoot off their helmets.

It seems a lot harder to do with the other dudes with the LMGs. To be honest, I don't think I've killed one through melee before.

#5 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

That was the way it was in the 2nd game also, but thanks for letting people know. That would be annoying not to know that.

#6 Posted by jjnen (660 posts) -

Everything dies faster when you shoot it to the head. That's like the first thing they teach at biology class.

#7 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

@Rappelsiini: Really I was told to aim for the genitals...

#8 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

The best approach: never use a shotgun or an assualt rifle when facing them. Switch to a pistol, line up a headshot. They go down in two shots: one to take the helmet off, and one to finish the job.

#9 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

this has been common for uncharted games since the first.......

#10 Edited by Vitor (2812 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

If you try to melee them with the helmet still on, then the game tells you to shoot off their helmets.

It seems a lot harder to do with the other dudes with the LMGs. To be honest, I don't think I've killed one through melee before.

Considering how many shots it takes to take these guys out, I never tried to get in close but use cover and keep my distance. Found it out through sheer chance. ND should really tutorialize some of this stuff better (every time I join a co-op game, anyone under level 20 doesn't get that you can't melee the armoured choke hold guys. That's not their fault. It makes no sense and, like the melee for the armoured dudes, seems like a rather arbitrary choice).

@DarthOrange said:

Never to this degree. I played the ever-loving-sh*t out of the second and knew the co-op inside and out. I can still remember how many shots it took to kill each enemy type/which ones to use grenades on/to roll over ammo when picking it up in order to keep moving etc.

But in those games, it felt viable to take the armoured guys on from long range. They took longer to take down but it wasn't too bad. In 3, trying to do that takes FOREVER. I really feel as though they've upped the health on the armoured guys to a ridiculous degree.

#11 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@DarthOrange said:

Pretty much this 

@Vitor said:

anyone under level 20 doesn't get that you can't melee the armoured choke hold guys. That's not their fault. It makes no sense and, like the melee for the armoured dudes, seems like a rather arbitrary choice.
This pisses me off. I admit, when i first encountered one of my teammates getting choked by these things. I tried to melee it with no avail. You just stand there and swing. I actually thought it was a glitch at first. I swung twice before i said fuck it, just shoot them. It annoys me so much to watch people who are unfamiliar with these enemies just swing 7 or 8 times either letting me die or before they just smarten up and start shooting. Even though they never formally introduce these guys, it shouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to figure that shooting them will always get the job done one way or another.
#12 Edited by Yummylee (21304 posts) -

No offence, but that is kinda of a ''duh'' tactic. If you really played as much Uncharted 2 coop as you say, I'm amazed how you didn't figure this out earlier.

EDIT: Also you can pull down the heavily armoured guys (minus the brutes) when you're hanging below them no matter if they have their Mystical Helmet of Power+4 on or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.