Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

I like Uncharted 3 way less than 2

• 71 results
    Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Crash_Happy

Actually, I've found it more than a little irritating and in part due to that, boring. At times the game really hits it's stride and the story beats can also be really good and very well realised. In the end though for me, Naughty Dog still can't do combat. I thought it had really improved in 2 but now in 3, they seem to have decided that what makes combat fun is making it really long and protracted. It starts that way and doesn't get any better. I mean, how long does that bar fight go on for?

Anyway there's little point going into more detail for fear of spoilers. Let the frothing begin.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By rmills87

I don't think I can agree with your statement. I will say I am only about an hour into the third Uncharted, but what I've played so far, it feels more immersive then the previous two. I don't think we should be talking about whether one is better than the other. Let's celebrate the fact that this is arguably THE best exclusive adventure trilogy for any console out there!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Slaker117
    @Crash_Happy said:

Naughty Dog still can't do combat.

This is true.
    Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Klei

@Crash_Happy I have to agree that they're unable to render combat properly. The aiming is stiff, the bullets feels like peas and are wildly innacurate. Making headshots on purpose in this series is supremely hard.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Slaker117
    @Klei: It's more than that for me. Even if they got all the "feel" of the gunplay right, I don't think they've ever been good at designing encounters. I'm not sure how to describe it properly, but their combat scenarios just seem kind of lazy and a little bit clumsy in spots. It's always been one of my sticking points with the series.
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Crash_Happy: Just outta curiosity: How much climbing around is in Uncharted 3? I loved Uncharted 2 like the rest of y'all, but I got bored with the climbing (especially in the level with the snow caves). I understand it's a main element of the series so far, but man. All that climbing in 2 took me out of the game.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ElCapitan

@Crash_Happy: I find that it feels worse because I just came off playing Arkham City. Batman flows between opponents in melee combat so fluidly that it makes Drake look like he's got cement blocks attached to his feet.

The shooting also looks bad compared to Gears of War 3.

I'm only 8 chapters in, but I wouldn't say it's so egregiously bad that I don't like it nor would I go so far as to say that 2 > 3. At least we didn't have to start with stealth in 3.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

The entire feel of the game is so much more stiff and slow I've noticed, from Uncharted 2. The shooting in particular has a weird contrast of usually being too slow when aiming, and too sensitive when you're firing; and I'm someone who personally loved all the shooting in Uncharted 2 as well. The animations appear like they've been left in the oven a little long... like they're so exaggerated at times it's almost comical. The dynamic movement towards Drake walking over terrain tends to jitter and dally a little often.

It's all just a little predictable so far, too, with most of the ''oh no, the floor just caved in right under Drake's feet'' type of stuff. Otherwise I am still having a lot of fun, but thus far (just arrived in Syria) Uncharted 3 isn't coming close to matching the tension and sheer excitement of playing through Uncharted 2 for the first time.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looking back I really didn't like Uncharted 2 all that much except for the co-op being really fun. The campaign wasn't really anything I felt was all that special. I know the train sequence was a technically awesome thing, but nothing ever stood out to me as "WHOA, HOLY SHIT!". I felt like MW2's campaign did that better. I mean, it was a great game, but I never saw it as an astonishing game like most people did. The combat isn't amazing, either, which is the biggest reason I would want to play a cover-based TPS. If I buy UC3 it will be for the horde-like co-op mode, I had a ton of fun with that in the beta split-screening with my buddy.

This is why I wish I had an Xbox 360 (or Gears 3 would come to PC... HAHAAHA... ): ) because it has been forever since I've played an amazing cover-based TPS (since Gears 2, before I gave up on Xbox after the death of my fifth one).

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor

@Abyssfull said:

The entire feel of the game is so much more stiff and slow I've noticed, from Uncharted 2. The shooting in particular has a weird contrast of usually being too slow when aiming, and too sensitive when you're firing; and I'm someone who personally loved all the shooting in Uncharted 2 as well. The animations appear like they've been left in the oven a little long... like they're so exaggerated at times it's almost comical. The dynamic movement towards Drake walking over terrain tends to jitter and dally a little often.

It's all just a little predictable so far, too, with most of the ''oh no, the floor just caved in right under Drake's feet'' type of stuff. Otherwise I am still having a lot of fun, but thus far (just arrived in Syria) Uncharted 3 isn't coming close to matching the tension and sheer excitement of playing through Uncharted 2 for the first time.

Man, Syria is dull. It's the museum level of the game (no force stealth but clearly the weakest aspect).

Trust me, the game picks up hard from the next level onwards. Much better.

Still, aiming feels weird. Like, KIllzone 2 weird. No idea why they changed it.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ttocs

I only played for a couple hours last night. From initial reactions, I didn't get the same giddiness I did with Uncharted 2, but that's due in part to the big leap from 1 to 2. 2 to 3 isn't as much of a leap as it is a continuation. I know I'm going to enjoy the game, just not to the extent of the second most likely.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Afroman269

Yup, the shoot-out segments are really annoying now. I think I tolerated them in 2 because of how awesome the game was. Now that I know what level of awesome to expect in 3, I get frustrated when these mediocre firefights keep me from doing more awesome shit. Oh and I still prefer the multiplayer in 2 just because the characters moved better.

@Vitor: Ya, I knew something was off with the aiming. I even maxed the sensitivity and it still felt weird. UC 2 felt so much better. I keep missing my shots now in UC 3 and playing the multiplayer feels terrible.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ares42

Think I'm about halfway through so far and sorta feel the same way. This one just takes way too long to get going, and the story sorta lacks the second element you had with the more active antagonists in the 2 others. It also seems to lean way more on puzzles than the other games, which isn't necessarily bad but doesn't exactly help picking the pace up. I believe this might just be a somewhat lop-sided distribution of game-play though, as I know there's way more set-piece action moments left in the game than what I've experienced so far. I can also see why this one has gotten more criticism about the "right way" issue, as there's been way more chases/timed events than the others had (which while is a nice way to do action without shooting isn't exactly the strong-suit of a game like this). Other than that I'm not too happy about the severe amount of darkness in this one (sort of a pet-peeve of mine), it just seems like you're almost alway either underground or outside at night. Both of the other games was way more vibrant than this one.

I'm still hopeful though. As I've still probably got about half of the game left things could easily change for the better and make up for the slow start.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Chop

Everything feels a bit more clunky in 3, the aiming in particular. But the strange part is that online seems a lot better than the story in that regard. Maybe it's because the enemies don't jitter around so much or something.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By MildMolasses

@Afroman269 said:

Yup, the shoot-out segments are really annoying now. I think I tolerated them in 2 because of how awesome the game was. Now that I know what level of awesome to expect in 3, I get frustrated when these mediocre firefights keep me from doing more awesome shit. Oh and I still prefer the multiplayer in 2 just because the characters moved better.

The firefights were definitly better in 2. The weird aiming combined with the AI's bloodlust for rushing at you, often times to brawl while 10 other people are shooting at you. I've rage quit twice today because of two different encounters involving gyus rushing and someone with a riot shield showing up, while everyone else is tossing grenades. It very much feels like a step backward to the lacklustre firefights of the first game. I get the feeling that the increased focus on melee has skewed the game into trying to force both in whenever possible.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phantomzxro

i can't say i agree with any of the complaints i have read so far, if uncharted is not your thing cool i understand but i feel everything about the game is pretty tight. Granted I'm not saying the best, but uncharted as always been a really solid game with great set pieces. The combat is pretty good almost a lesser version of Arkham city. The aiming i feel they added recoil to guns which makes it harder to get head-shots. Now they may have planned that because if you were good at aiming you could head-shot pretty much anyone in uncharted 2. Now i can understand that being less fun but i would not say it is bad game-play.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Lava

I would say I enjoyed 2 more than 3, but 3 is still a fantastic game. 2 definitely had some big crazy set pieces and blew everything out of the water, and this game seemed much more personal and had it's set pieces but it almost seemed even more like a movie. I literally just finished it and am watching the credits now. I will say I enjoy the combat in U3 more than I do in either of the Batman games. I may be one of the few, if not the only one. By now measure was this game bad at all, it was fantastic and is my game of the year compared to anything else I have played.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rave

Wow I'm shocked at the amount of somewhat negative comments people have had for the game. I'm just at chapter 10 but do far I'm loving it I was hooked from the opening I thought it was a great scene. I'm really enjoying the story so far I am really enjoying the relationship between Sully and Nate.

The combat feels like it always has which is fine for me. The environments and sets have been varied as well.

I haven't even seen any of the major set pieces but I can already tell this game is going to become one of my favorites this year. This trilogy is one of the best I have played its always of a consistent high quality.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ares42

Man, after almost finishing it this game has almost turned me from die-hard fan to hater. What really bugs me is how they have completely changed the combat scenarios. Anyone who says this is just more Uncharted 2 have no idea what they're talking about. I was already unhappy with their choice to make UC2 MP more CoDified post-launch, but now they've even put the same philosophies into their single-player, which is just terrible. The extreme focus on flanking from the AI (and very often coupled with either explosives or snipers covering you from the front) just makes for a lot of cheap deaths. This just isn't what Uncharted combat has ever been about. Coupled with what seems to be the most retarded change I can imagine for a cover-based shooter, the fact that if you aim somewhere pop in and out of cover your aim has changed, and as OP said some unreasonably long combat scenarios the gameplay has started to drag this game down. Then when you add in the fact that the game is completely lop-sided on action/puzzles/exploration distribution and that the real adventure doesn't even start before halfway into the game, this game just turns into a shadow of it's predecessor.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DrPockets000

I don't dislike 3 at all, but I definitely preferred 2. A lot of critics praised the more character-focused slant of 3, but that's never what I enjoyed in the UC games. I loved every second of the outrageous bombast of 2, and that level of creativity and insanity is only intermittently present in 3.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#21  Edited By Mystyr_E

I pretty much agree, like there's no parts in Uncharted 2 that give me that "ugh" feeling (call it the "Killer Croc moment" after Arkham Asylum) but nothing in the last game gave the "oh yeah, I forgot about this part, and how much I hated it". Those parts are rampant in this game almost.

The opening bar fight was tedious but the escape was fine, the chateau was amazing, Syria was boring. One of the rooms in the shipyard with the stationary turrets was frustrating to hell but the docks and ship were amazing. It's a good game but UC2 is faaar better

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scotto

I'm about a half-hour or so from the end of the game I'm guessing, and I completely agree with the OP's sentiment. I had much more fun with UC2 than UC3. The combat in this game alternates between tedious, and a royal pain in the ass. I'm also getting tired of the lame "they must have followed us!" story excuse for why Marlowe's goons keep showing up in ridiculous numbers everywhere we go.

The set pieces are still awesome, and I still love these characters, but the actual nitty gritty of the gameplay just isn't that fun for me this time around.

- Scott

Stingraymond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stingraymond

Same here, that's cause it mainly sucks. They've reached the point where they can throw pretty trees at people and get them to fawn all over it, but the fact is the gameplay still consists of repetitive ledge-jumping and mediocre shooting sections.

It's a fucking disgrace to think things like this are regarding as some of the best video games of all time these days. What in God's name are you people thinking!? Because a game is pretty, it does not become one of the greatest of all time. When I look back a few years at the sort of thing we were calling 'Game of the Year', it's incredible to see how low the standards have dropped these days. Yeah Drake is a funny character and the stories are nice but the fact is, people call Uncharted one of the best franchises ever because it's pretty, it doesn't do anything, gameplay-wise, that we haven't seen in Prince of Persia, Gears of War, and most importantly, frickin Tomb Raider ffs. Go and compare that to the REAL best ever games, the Metal Gear Solids, the Zelda, the Final Fantasies, the Grand Theft Autos, the great Bioware RPGs. The Uncharted series is a joke, and to hear Brad in the quick look all "Oh my gawd this is crazy! this is crazy!! It looks so good!" it's like "... well, yeah, it looks like an alright PC game, but how does it play?!"

Waste of space, but it'll take most of the community another couple of years and another couple of complete rehashes on this same formula before you all realise it. Maybe by Uncharted 6, when the gameplay hasn't changed a bit and the one-liners are wearing a bit thin, people will see the light.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#24  Edited By Soap

I'm really enjoying the game but I still can't help but feel like when it comes time to fight I'm fighting more with the controller than with any enemies, wtf did they do to the aiming? The reticle is either moving to slowly or way to fast, there is no in between. I've heard it works differently (and better) in multiplayer but why would you change it like that?

Hopefully they will patch it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ares42

@Stingraymond said:

Same here, that's cause it mainly sucks. They've reached the point where they can throw pretty trees at people and get them to fawn all over it, but the fact is the gameplay still consists of repetitive ledge-jumping and mediocre shooting sections.

It's a fucking disgrace to think things like this are regarding as some of the best video games of all time these days. What in God's name are you people thinking!? Because a game is pretty, it does not become one of the greatest of all time. When I look back a few years at the sort of thing we were calling 'Game of the Year', it's incredible to see how low the standards have dropped these days. Yeah Drake is a funny character and the stories are nice but the fact is, people call Uncharted one of the best franchises ever because it's pretty, it doesn't do anything, gameplay-wise, that we haven't seen in Prince of Persia, Gears of War, and most importantly, frickin Tomb Raider ffs. Go and compare that to the REAL best ever games, the Metal Gear Solids, the Zelda, the Final Fantasies, the Grand Theft Autos, the great Bioware RPGs. The Uncharted series is a joke, and to hear Brad in the quick look all "Oh my gawd this is crazy! this is crazy!! It looks so good!" it's like "... well, yeah, it looks like an alright PC game, but how does it play?!"

Waste of space, but it'll take most of the community another couple of years and another couple of complete rehashes on this same formula before you all realise it. Maybe by Uncharted 6, when the gameplay hasn't changed a bit and the one-liners are wearing a bit thin, people will see the light.

Uncharted was never meant to have unique and innovative gameplay. The whole point of the game was to create a fun and immersive "cinematic" campaign. To achieve this they tried to make the gameplay as unintrusive (call it casual if you will) and varied as possible so people wouldn't get frustrated or bored and lose the sense of immersion (as has been discussed heavily lately). 1 and 2 did this very well, and in doing that they actually did create something somewhat unique when it comes to gaming. People won't remember Uncharted for it's gameplay, and they won't care. What they will remember is the experience they had playing through the game. If the game had gone to Uncharted 6 without changing up the gameplay that would've probably actually been way better than what they have done with 3 in trying to change things up (and fail) and make it more of a gameplay focused game.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By 49th

The biggest problem I have is with the aiming. In Uncharted 2 I could pop off headshots like it was nothing but now the reticle doesn't do what it should be doing, it just feels slow and bad. It's all starting to become super repetitive now too, I hope they try something different with their next game - or at least make Uncharted Team Racing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

I have the feeling people are saying exactly (when it comes to negativity) how I felt about Uncharted 2. I loved Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (though not the very first time I played it), and when I played two, the shooting was vastly worse in my opinion. I haven't yet played Uncharted 3, but I hope like the first Uncharted, you at least feel like you're making an impact when you shoot someone.

ABK_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ABK_92

I'm glad I Redboxed it. I actually hate the game, like literally hate it. I'd rather play the first Uncharted again... Everything feels less exciting then it was in UC2 and the combat feels even worse.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tesla

It seems weird to me that someone could like the previous Uncharted games and hate this one. It is not that different from the second game...and some people actually prefer the first game to this? I must have woken up on Bizarro Earth this morning.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kishinfoulux

But the presentation...the visuals...OMG. 10/10.

I'm glad people are finally seeing the Uncharted series for what it really is. A typical, shallow experience.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cloudenvy

Can't say I agree, I find Uncharted 3 to be an improvement and one of my favorite games. : )

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ozzdog12

@Crash_Happy: I agree that 2 was better, but 3 is still great IMO. That seems to be the general consensus

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By efman

Regardless of the minor changes seen in this franchise, notably from the second, this is a game that will live and die by its very visual presentation, which they don't skimp on. There have been three permutations of a sense of evolution in the lifespan of this franchise on this generation of the Sony platform -- 2 to 3 more incremental, rather than evolutionary. Just a few chapters in, what strikes me is an abundant prioritization of animation over gunplay. It allows for the single most immursive gaits and struts between which Nate transissions as he moves about the locales. Had this many years passed leading up to now, since the release of the first game, and this game would've been their second outing, it would've been praised for what Uncharted 2 did for the franchise, and then some. With their expertise squarely foucused on visual fidelity, it seems as if the folks at NG wanted to just to that, and have the encounters be secondary to the globe trotting antics evident in the game. It's just a matter of, as someone pointedly noted, living in the shadows of its former self.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scotto

Played through a bit more last night, and man, I'm really getting tired of the lazy plot device where Talbot and Marlowe keep showing up everywhere I do, literally without any explanation of how they figured out to go there. I'm also pretty much completely fatigued of the combat at this point, which is probably not a good thing, since I'm pretty sure I'm right at the part where I appear to start fighting the UC2 blue guy equivalents.

I give my experience with this game a 7/10 or 8/10 at most so far. There is lots to like about it, but there is too much tedious, frustrating combat as the game goes on. The combat in this game is straight up not fun, at least in single player. I may just lower the difficulty to see the last bit of the story through, and then put this one on the shelf forever.

- Scott

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I feel the same way, it seems like Uncharted 2 was a better game.

Uncharted 3 is plagued by stiff and down-right boring combat, dull visuals (compared to 2 in my opinion at least), some really weird plot holes and a very boring and anti-climatic ending.

I also feel the game suffers from Naughty Dog attempting at making it too cinematic, but still allows you to attempt to walk of the path and punishes you (with death) when you do.

Oh, and something that really bugged me was the amount of times they said "Let's do this quietly..." and then we go guns blazing with no consequences and the enemies around the corner are totally unaware of the gunfight with explosions happening just behind them.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deadmanforking

Uncharted 3 is a great game. An amazing game even. Is it better than Uncharted 2? In my opinion, no. The combat in U3 seems like a step back from U2, dudes take way to many bullets to kill. And the armord dudes are just a pain. The story is great, but packs WAY less of a punch than U2. Due to most of the mojor story beats being almost the same. The characters are still great, the animation and overall look of the game is still outstanding. Overall though, Uncharted 3 seems like a step back from Uncharted 2. Which is very dissapointing. That being said, I still fucking loved the game, despite its flaws. And I gotta say, Drake is one handsome dude!

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Slaker117 said:

@Crash_Happy said:

Naughty Dog still can't do combat.

This is true.

I respectfully disagree.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Djratchet

Uncharted 3 was a little disappointing, but only because U2 set the bar so high and took me by surprise. Still a great game, already beat it on hard and started my crushing run. The focus on melee could have really been toned down, it really does feel stiff to games like Arkham City/Asylum, like previous posters mentioned. Getting killed because you got dragged into a QTE fight while getting shot in the back is not my idea of fun.

Xero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Xero0

i agree with the combat criticisms; the shooting part of this game is probably the my least favorite

part for me. it's strange since tps is my favorite genre, but i dont know; it feels stale and boring; it

felt like i was trying to shoot bad guys just so i can get to the next cutscene or next big set piece ,

not because i enjoyed it. with that said, i enjoyed the game and i'm going through it again for the

second time.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Marz

This is just a question for those that don't like the combat.  So what is it about the combat that you don't like?  Is it the way it controls?  the damage weapons do?  What is the perfect combat system that would fit this game?  Give me another game as a reference, is it gears of war, call of duty, or some other game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee

@Pr1mus said:

@Marz said:

This is just a question for those that don't like the combat. So what is it about the combat that you don't like? Is it the way it controls? the damage weapons do? What is the perfect combat system that would fit this game? Give me another game as a reference, is it gears of war, call of duty, or some other game.

Uncharted 2's combat was perfect to me. Almost all the problems are things that Uncharted 3 does that Uncharted 2 didn't do. Here goes:

• Too much emphasis on the melee combat. The system in an of itself in a one on one encounter is good. Problem, there are no one on one encounters, except for Brutes. Compared to Uncharted 2, fights are longer and quickly become tedious. In Uncharted 2, melee was a 3 punch thing that got you out of a tough spot if you were pinned down and being overwhelmed and needed to get to a safer spot quickly.
    • Shotgun totting regular enemies that have the sole purpose of running at you and oneshotting you. These are not the slow armored dudes. They are regular enemies that have no armor an go down quickly. They never stop behind cover, they never try to shoot at you from a distance. Once they enter the arena, they come running at you and blast you up close. These enemies are new to uncharted 3, at least their behavior.
    • Uncharted 2 enemies were pretty evenly spread throughout the game. In 5 minutes of gameplay you could go through 4 different rooms, each containing a small firefight with 7-8 enemies for example. This was an improvement to the very drawn out encounters of the first uncharted that had you often fight wave after wave of enemies in the same room for 5 minutes. Uncharted 3 regress back to the Uncharted 1 model. This leads to more issues regarding the melee combat i already described and some issues to be described below.
    • Grenades throwback is in, Naughty Dog's response to this new feature is drastically increasing the amount of grenades thrown at you. This effectively pins you down behind some cover for longer periods of time compared to Uncharted 2 and brings us back to the problem with the melee combat.
    • Armored guys are more prevalent than in Uncharted 2. These were the guys to pin you down behind cover as they approached and eventually forcing you out of cover if you didn't kill them quickly enough. With the greater amount of enemies and grenades coming yourway this makes them already more dangerous and in addition there is more of them now.
    • The aiming problem already described in this thread and others on the forum and on naughty dog's forum.

These are the problems i have anyway. The game is still playable, and i'm almost done on hard but it is a lot less enjoyable experience compared to Uncharted 2's combat. I don't think it is more challenging than Uncharted 2 was on crushing and i didn't die as often so far but most death felt more or less out of my control, whether is a shotgun totting running dude that flanked me from the left while i was busy firing at those other 5 guys on the right of being thrown grenades after grenades and being stunlocked and thrown out of cover for a second too long.

Well said. I agree with everything here. Plus your part about U3 regressing back to Drake's Fortune is spot on; I mean the enemies are genuinely bullet sponges this time around (which U2 fixed) and won't flinch to a lot of regular fire (least on hard mode...). Some encounters reminded me a lot of the final few firefights in Drake's Fortune, like the one nearing the end in the Church, because of how the design gets super lazy and just opts to throw everything at you--snipers, armoured soldiers, RPG men and ect. Fuckin' lame.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Pr1mus:Those are my exact problems with the game. I would of been fine if they had kept the combat identical to Uncharted 2. Instead they messed up what worked perfectly for the game.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By buzz_killington

The set-pieces were more exciting and the story was much more hard-hitting and personal. I liked 3 better than 2.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SpartyOn

@ElCapitan said:

@Crash_Happy: I find that it feels worse because I just came off playing Arkham City. Batman flows between opponents in melee combat so fluidly that it makes Drake look like he's got cement blocks attached to his feet.

The shooting also looks bad compared to Gears of War 3.

I'm only 8 chapters in, but I wouldn't say it's so egregiously bad that I don't like it nor would I go so far as to say that 2 > 3. At least we didn't have to start with stealth in 3.

unfortunately I'd say there's still more stealth in 3 than in 2.....I love 3 don't get me wrong, but stealth isn't Uncharted's strong suite, yet there are a bunch of encounters where it tries really really hard to get you to approach an encounter stealthily.

ProLife_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ProLife_Zombie

@Pr1mus: Well said.

I know you mentioned you QA'd this game. Did you ever bring up these points when you were working on it?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ares42

@Pr1mus said:

@Marz said:

This is just a question for those that don't like the combat. So what is it about the combat that you don't like? Is it the way it controls? the damage weapons do? What is the perfect combat system that would fit this game? Give me another game as a reference, is it gears of war, call of duty, or some other game.

Uncharted 2's combat was perfect to me. Almost all the problems are things that Uncharted 3 does that Uncharted 2 didn't do. Here goes:

• Too much emphasis on the melee combat. The system in an of itself in a one on one encounter is good. Problem, there are no one on one encounters, except for Brutes. Compared to Uncharted 2, fights are longer and quickly become tedious. In Uncharted 2, melee was a 3 punch thing that got you out of a tough spot if you were pinned down and being overwhelmed and needed to get to a safer spot quickly.
    • Shotgun totting regular enemies that have the sole purpose of running at you and oneshotting you. These are not the slow armored dudes. They are regular enemies that have no armor an go down quickly. They never stop behind cover, they never try to shoot at you from a distance. Once they enter the arena, they come running at you and blast you up close. These enemies are new to uncharted 3, at least their behavior.
    • Uncharted 2 enemies were pretty evenly spread throughout the game. In 5 minutes of gameplay you could go through 4 different rooms, each containing a small firefight with 7-8 enemies for example. This was an improvement to the very drawn out encounters of the first uncharted that had you often fight wave after wave of enemies in the same room for 5 minutes. Uncharted 3 regress back to the Uncharted 1 model. This leads to more issues regarding the melee combat i already described and some issues to be described below.
    • Grenades throwback is in, Naughty Dog's response to this new feature is drastically increasing the amount of grenades thrown at you. This effectively pins you down behind some cover for longer periods of time compared to Uncharted 2 and brings us back to the problem with the melee combat.
    • Armored guys are more prevalent than in Uncharted 2. These were the guys to pin you down behind cover as they approached and eventually forcing you out of cover if you didn't kill them quickly enough. With the greater amount of enemies and grenades coming yourway this makes them already more dangerous and in addition there is more of them now.
    • The aiming problem already described in this thread and others on the forum and on naughty dog's forum.

These are the problems i have anyway. The game is still playable, and i'm almost done on hard but it is a lot less enjoyable experience compared to Uncharted 2's combat. I don't think it is more challenging than Uncharted 2 was on crushing and i didn't die as often so far but most death felt more or less out of my control, whether is a shotgun totting running dude that flanked me from the left while i was busy firing at those other 5 guys on the right of being thrown grenades after grenades and being stunlocked and thrown out of cover for a second too long.

Whoever is paying you to test games needs to give you a raise :P

Ronin147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By Ronin147

I think a big issue for me is that the last 2 games I played are Gears of War 3 and Batman Arkham Asylum. U3 doesnt have as good shooting as Gears 3 and it feels worse than U2. And of course the melee is not anywhere near Batman other than the basic combat buttons layout. Also the gun combats relied to much on the "omg the ground is shaky and that makes it hard for you to aim", and I was screwed many a time by getting locked into an animation or not being faced quite right for the context sensitive button stuff to work just right. It is very much a roller coaster to easy to derail but if you can stay on the tracks its a thrill ride. I enjoyed the story and I am glad I played but I hope that Uncharted in this formula gets a rest for awhile and maybe rethink the formula.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#48  Edited By TrashMustache

I've beat Uncharted three, three times. The first times I really disliked it, I thought the bar fight was a really underwhelming start, when you think of Drake waking up in a train suspended from a mountain in U2. Also there are little bugs like clipping and A.I is irritating, and it doesn't help that I had seen every major set piece before playing the game, also I was super into Arkham City when a friend of mine said he had a copy of uncharted 3 real early, like october 27th. So that messed with my head, also I was very sick and had to take antibiotics so it all boils down to : My experience was ruined completely because I should have waited before playing U3 but I didn't because IT'S UNCHARTED 3.

all of this isn't naughty dog's fault obviously lol. Now though, I can get a better sense of the game and my consensus is I still prefer U2. I already commented on this on another post but for some reason U3 starts really really slow and underwhelming and then it picks up the pace and goes for a constant state of climax, and I just didn't like that. I still love the characters and the shooting, and sure yes it looks fucking amazingly gorgeous.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scotto

@Marz said:

This game would be a lot better with combat that felt more like Gears 3, to pick a game in roughly the same genre.

- Scott

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By hollitz

I must agree that 3 doesn't quite hit the high water mark that 2 did, but I love Uncharted's combat sequences. Uncharted 3 definitely Arkham City'd me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.