I never in my life rage quit a game until now...

• 59 results
#1 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

Disappointment. It's a word that a rarely use in conjunction with my video games. I tend to think that I keep up to date on current video game trends and the good and bad games out there, listening to podcasts and reading a plethora of reviews. The common consensus is that although UC 3 doesn't push the series further ahead it does indeed give you more of UC 2( which is fine in my mind). After playing through 9 chapters of UC 3, much to my dismay, I have given up. For the first time in my gaming life, a feeling of pure disappointed overcame me. To me, this game is two steps backward for the series. I feel often at times, the game doesn't convey a clear path for you to follow and it seems like enemies will just suddenly be behind you shooting away. This wouldn't be so bad if the enemies were actually humans instead of a bullet sponges. But my biggest gripe with the game is that the aiming is broken. I feel that the input lag and "jankiness" of the controls is terrible. I thought that maybe my dual shock 3 was broke or that my HDTV was lagging but according to some this is an issue for everyone.

After I rage quit, I looked up aiming problems with UC 3 and found this:

I'm stumped as to what happened at ND for this to happen. After the stellar UC2, it saddens me that the game feels the way it does.

Anyone else here feel the same way?

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Really sorry to hear this, I bet you were really looking forward to the game. 
I'm glad i cancelled my pre-order (i only wanted to postpone the purchase). I'll wait until it's patched and fixed. 

You also discussed the issue with level design/bad AI placement, which can't really be fixed.. Is it that bad?

#3 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

There are going to be skeptics on this one...

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I think Uncharted 3 is still solid. My only complaint is with the aiming and how the characters feel (kinda hard to describe, it's kinda like the change in motion of the character from Gears 1 to Gears 2) Shit just feels off, UC 2 felt way better. This isn't going to put me off on the game though, only the multiplayer.

#5 Posted by Marcsman (3199 posts) -

Only AA likes quitters.................

#6 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

Hmm. OK, so when I started up the game the other night and came to the first real shooting section, I felt like something was super off and couldn't figure out what. I messed around with the aim sensitivity but never felt like it did much to help the situation. I certainly didn't think it felt as nice as Uncharted 2, which memory was telling me was pretty perfect, so I chalked it up to me just kinda forgetting how the aiming worked after playing something as smooth controlling as Gears 3 more recently, but this has me thinking. 

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9815 posts) -

I ragequit Killzone 2 for the same reason. I ragequit Uncharted 2 for totally different reasons.

#8 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Damn, either that guy is using that controller wrong, or PS3 controllers completely suck.

#9 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: I was REALLY looking forward to UC 3 with UC 2 being one of my favorite games of this generation. It saddens me tremendously that I have taken issue with this game. As I said, I really don't think a patch that fixes the aiming will bring me back, since I just can't get behind the shooting encounters. What I mean by that is even if the aiming with fixed, the shooting sections just seem poorly designed to me with random AI movement and enemies just appearing behind you sometimes. To me, it's a chore to play the shooting sections just to get to the next cut scene. To me, it's just not fun like UC 2 was.

@cstrang: I'm not quite sure what you mean? Elaborate perhaps?

#10 Posted by zDarkHerald (67 posts) -

You know what, I had a feeling something was a bit different as I was playing it, but couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. I am only 7 chapters into the game but so far it does not feel as well put together as among thieves. I think you might be over reacting a bit all the same, a lesser control scheme is not enough to stop me playing Uncharted. I hope the rest of the game turns out to be good.

#11 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Damn, either that guy is using that controller wrong, or PS3 controllers completely suck.

What?

#12 Edited by OneManX (1693 posts) -

Well Uncharted 2 has been patched since then so what is representative now of U2 may not of been the way it was when it first released.

In the time playing the Multiplayer Subway Beta thing, the aiming felt "swimmy" but it didnt take long to adjust to it.

#13 Posted by ozzdog12 (861 posts) -

@EndlessObsidian: I wouldnt say its 2 steps down. I do agree that it isnt as good a 2,especially the multiplayer. ND set the bar probably higher than any company has ever done. Uncharted 2 is almost a perfect game. Uncharted 3,while it has its issues(natural lag, awkward character movements, and bad multiplayer) its still a great game. The good Still By FAR outweighs the bad

#14 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

What?

The sound of the analog stick moving is messed up.

#15 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

@EndlessObsidian: Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if Uncharted 3 is fantastic or not as I haven't even plugged in my PS3 in something like 5 months. However, I know that people will come and fight to the death over what is supposed to be a fantastic PS3 exclusive. I would just prepare yourself (or the maker of that video) for accusations of lags switches or having someone off camera with a different controller.

#16 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: This guy is not using the controller wrong nor does the DS3 "suck". The issue is specifically within Uncharted 3.

#17 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Peanut said:

Hmm. OK, so when I started up the game the other night and came to the first real shooting section, I felt like something was super off and couldn't figure out what. I messed around with the aim sensitivity but never felt like it did much to help the situation. I certainly didn't think it felt as nice as Uncharted 2, which memory was telling me was pretty perfect, so I chalked it up to me just kinda forgetting how the aiming worked after playing something as smooth controlling as Gears 3 more recently, but this has me thinking.

Yup, Gears 3 has spoiled me severely. You may be able to climb and jump around in UC 3 but Gears 3 pretty much shits on UC 3 in terms of controls and feel. UC 2 wasn't that bad but fuck, someone done goofed with the controls in UC 3.

#18 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

@cstrang: Ahh gotcha.

#19 Posted by kagato (920 posts) -

I really hope they fix this soon, i just started playing this and havent come accross any parts where i needed pinpoint accuracy yet but this could be game breaking later on! Hopefully a patch will be along really soon.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

I haven't even completed the game yet, despite getting it yesterday. I've mostly just been playing the MP (which fortunately I still find to be brilliant) because the SP controls are so awfully cumbersome =/. Fucking shame, considering this was pegged to be my GOTY. It's still a solid four stars, but the majority of is spurned from the MP. There's not even the excitement of playing through the game again with all kinds of screwy cheats and modifiers anymore =(

#21 Posted by Tumbler (161 posts) -

This problem limited to certain PS3's? IE older 60GB launch models? Newer 40gb models? Redesign models? Is this lag on every PS3? That is terrible input lag.

#22 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4679 posts) -

I feel the same way. When I first started moving my gun around I knew something felt off. I could deal with the aiming if not for the often poor, prolonged combat scenario design.

#23 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

I haven't even completed the game yet, despite getting it yesterday.

Man, it must be TERRIBLE!

#24 Posted by drac96 (671 posts) -

That did not happen in my entire play through uncharted 3. I even went back and tested it after I saw this video, and there wasn't any input lag.

#25 Posted by Ronald (1368 posts) -

I had no issues with input lag playing through the whole game.

#26 Edited by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@Abyssfull said:

I meant in comparison to me completing Uncharted 2 all in one go; Uncharted 3's SP I don't even really care about at this point. But thanks for misunderstanding!

EDIT: Also the shooting really is kinda terrible, I have to say.

#27 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

@Abyssfull: No problem!

#28 Posted by Tumbler (161 posts) -

@Ronald said:

Are you saying that you did not experience input lag as above or that you adjusted to the lag and were able to complete the game?

#29 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@mnzy said:

@Abyssfull said:

I meant in comparison to me completing Uncharted 2 all in one go; Uncharted 3's SP I don't even really care about at this point. But thanks for misunderstanding!

EDIT: Also the shooting really is kinda terrible, I have to say.

Indeed, but like other people said, this is just because of how huge the gap between 1 and 2 was. I was goddamn blown away by 2. 3 is solid but it isn't gripping me like before. I think I know what my GoTY will be and unfortunately UC 3 isn't it.

@Tumbler: The problem isn't hardware, it's software.

#30 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

this has not happened to me yet and I'm almost done with the game.

#31 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

@drac96: @Ronald:

May I ask what model PS3 console are you using just for curiosity?

#32 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

I can understand why you would quit if that was the type of lag you were experiencing. That kind of stuff can completely ruin a game.

#33 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

@ultimatepunchrod:

What model PS3?

#34 Posted by drac96 (671 posts) -

@EndlessObsidian: My fat 40GB PS3 died over the summer. I replaced it with a new 160 GB slim, which I popped a 500GB hard drive into.

#35 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

@EndlessObsidian said:

@ultimatepunchrod:

What model PS3?

160GB slim.

#36 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

@Tumbler said:

This problem limited to certain PS3's? IE older 60GB launch models? Newer 40gb models? Redesign models? Is this lag on every PS3? That is terrible input lag.

i haven't experienced any lag and I'm close to chapter 20. i have a slim 160GB PS3. im not sure what's going on with this.

#37 Posted by Boboblaw (296 posts) -

huh

I am almost at the end of the game (I think) and I haven't noticed any of this.

#38 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

@drac96: @ultimatepunchrod:

Hrrmmm. I'm playing on my original 60GBer. The thing actually sounds like a jet engine taking off when I play UC3. There's no way that older models are causing the input lag right? RIGHT? O_O

#39 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@EndlessObsidian said:

Hrrmmm. I'm playing on my original 60GBer. The thing actually sounds like a jet engine taking off when I play UC3. There's no way that older models are causing the input lag right? RIGHT? O_O

I have an old 40 GB'er and I experienced no input lag on mine. : /

#40 Posted by phantomzxro (1577 posts) -

I don't really see the problem I do believe they have added a bit more recoil to gun fire so now it is harder to hit head shots. but i have not had problems taking dudes out. I still feel the game is pretty solid and the MP is just as good as U2. My only grip is it not as silky smooth as U2. I have ran into a few glitches here and there. Nothing major but i don't remember running into anything like that.

#41 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@EndlessObsidian said:

I have an old 40 GB'er and I experienced no input lag on mine. : /

I'm thinking the problem is akin to that that God of War III was experiencing where Kratos would plummet down if you tried to double jump. I obviously don't mean these games are experiencing the same problem BUT they are similar in that only some are experiencing the lag. I'll have to check this out when I get home just to make sure I didn't simply get used to the lag quickly, but it seems like something everyone would notice if it were a problem for everyone.

#42 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

I really hope they patch the lag and the dead zone. While I don't mean to nag about a fairly minor thing (honestly, the game is amazing), but the more this gets spread out the sooner ND will, at the very least admit to either:

1. sorry, we can't make the lag any less.

or

2. sorry, we'll get a patch up and running within the month (yay!!!)

#43 Edited by bybeach (4832 posts) -

Half the big games this for me (3 out of the six that occurs) have needed patches. Even Deus Ex, my maybe GOTY, was for 2 days unplayable to absurdly long load times, then a patch and all was blue sky and sunshine. What is with these ppl. this happens? And I am assuming the aiming problem can be solved by a patch. Do I dare utter the auto- aim word? I do not want to....but it feels like my gun aims like a ton of bricks!

#44 Posted by Ronald (1368 posts) -

@Tumbler said:

@Ronald said:

Are you saying that you did not experience input lag as above or that you adjusted to the lag and were able to complete the game?

I did not experience any input lag.

#45 Posted by Ronald (1368 posts) -

@EndlessObsidian said:

@drac96: @Ronald:

May I ask what model PS3 console are you using just for curiosity?

It started out life as a 40GB model with a new hard drive put in it because 40 gigs is nothing.

#46 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

Honesly I felt like the input became a little laggy later on in the game, but was nice and snappy at the start.

#47 Posted by JeanLuc (3585 posts) -

I too felt some weird aiming lag during the campaign, specifically when using a pistol. I found myself really irritated with it at times. The multiplayer on the other hand I have had no problems with.

#48 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

I haven't had any issues with aiming, or laggy controls. Just beat it.

#49 Posted by Ronin147 (78 posts) -

Same issue with the aiming I thought my sensitivity was just wrong but it was definitely the input lag. I finally just dropped the difficulty from normal to easy because I was tired of the bullet sponges and the badly design gun shoot outs. The peaks are still amazing but the valleys blow ... hard.

#50 Posted by bybeach (4832 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@Abyssfull said:

lol!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.