Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Is it just me, or were there a few unanswered questions? SPOILERS

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RedRoach

End game spoilers ahead.

So a few questions I have:

1. What's up with the dead green henchmen at the Chateau? The best guess I could come up with was it had something to do with the spiders.

2. Right before Cutter broke his leg from jumping off the tower, Marlowe said something along the lines of "As if it was in the cards all along." After he fell he pulled a card out of his pocket that had a man falling off a burning tower (that's generally what happened, some of the events in that 2 minutes might be out of order) I can't even begin to guess if this is some kinda fate thing or magical hocus pocus.

3. What. The. Fuck. is up with Marlowe's assistant. Cutter shot him and he survives, he's constantly vanishing as soon as he gets around a corner (right after he drugged cutter, he walked around a corner and had vanished, despite there being no where to escape) He does all these crazy things, and we're never told how, why he can do this.

Also, I was kinda disappointed we didn't get more info on what was in the jar that they were bringing up. Sure we know it's a crazy hallucinogen, or at least that's an effect of it. But Salim said that if they get it "we are all dead". Why does Marlowe want it so bad? I know they use fear to scare their enemies, but the darts they have seem to be doing a pretty good job of that, so why do they need this so bad, are they gonna open it and destroy the world? I'm not doing a good job of putting this into words, but I'm guessing you have my point by now.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

I completely agree.

Also

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor

@Jason_Bourne: I felt mucht he same - those were points that I was waiting to be resolved but were left loose by the end.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By tallTuck94

@Chaos_Bladez:

1. It's implied it was the spiders, what else could it have been? I personally think it's the developers foreshadowing the spider hoard

2. I think it was placed in cutters pocket by talbot

3. Talbot is very fond of that hallucinogens, he uses it a lot of times i'd guess thats why he appears in the most f'ed up scenes

also in the jar was an evil Djinn, they do say it several times

the only thing i want is some closure on chloe and cutter, charlie is the new tenzin if you ask me

@Jason_Bourne: thats a story for another game i reckon, although i think it's safe to assume Nate is in no way related to Sir Francis Drake

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Wraxend

All I want to know is whats in the that Jar were the Djinn are meant to be housed. And what the hell is up with those spiders, they live in France Lybia and Yemen?

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tallTuck94

@Wraxend: a djinn was in the jar a djinn was supposed to be in

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wraxend

@tallTuck94: Well they say Djinn but theres no such thing so I wanted to know what the Uncharted answer was. Like in UC1 we had a weird Mummy in the Golden Man. In UC2 they weren't Yeti but blue immortal dudes. I just wanted to know what the twist would have been on "Djinn"

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tallTuck94

@Wraxend: maybe it was the hallucinogens in the water?

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wraxend

@tallTuck94: No, I know it was the Hallucinogen but I want to know what was the cause.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

@Wraxend said:

@tallTuck94: No, I know it was the Hallucinogen but I want to know what was the cause.

Probably whatever was in the jar. Sure it might be tough to believe there are actual jinns in there, but there was never any explanation for what was in the sap from the Tree of Life that made people immortal blue monsters, or for the mist from the body in the cursed statue of El Dorado that turns people into lickers.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Wraxend said:

@tallTuck94: Well they say Djinn but theres no such thing so I wanted to know what the Uncharted answer was. Like in UC1 we had a weird Mummy in the Golden Man. In UC2 they weren't Yeti but blue immortal dudes. I just wanted to know what the twist would have been on "Djinn"

I believe the Djinn was an ancient hallucinatory drug that was contained in the jar not an actual creature or supernatural force since the supernatural twists in the first 2 Uncharted games were grounded in reality. I think the drug came from the spiders which is why they're everywhere that was connected with finding Ubar. Also, I'm guessing Drake isn't Drake's real name since his logic that he was related to Sir Francis Drake was that Francis Drake had illegitimate children who wouldn't carry Drake's name and the fact that he doesn't really have parents and grew up in a boarding school. Finally, Talbot really plays up the whole mystical bad guy angle and probably just knows how to make a fast get away. Cutter may have still been a bit drugged up when he shot at Talbot and his men, so he could have just thought he killed them (or the bad guys were wearing bulletproof which is more likely). I think the tarot cards were just scare tactics to try and get Drake and his buddies out of the equation.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By korolev

Here's something I had an issue with: What's the deal with that ring? Okay, so imagine you are head of a UBER secret, UBER powerful organization that has the wealth and the resources and the personnel to hire private armies and track down lost treasures. You've had a relatively simplistic 16th century coding/de-coding device in your had for TWENTY YEARS. The device is NOT that complicated and fits in the palm of one's hand. It is activated by a round silver ring. That's all that's needed to activate it: one goddamn ring.

Do you spend 20 years trying to find one specific ring, and god knows how much money? Or would you simply.... make a replica? How would the machine know it was a replica? Why did they need the original ring? As far as I can tell, neither of the devices have any magical properties.

Or, if, for some reason, they couldn't just make a duplicate ring for 10 bucks, such an organization should be able to use scanning devices and X-rays and scattering ray technologies to simply SCAN the decoding device and then virtually reconstruct it.

I'm sorry but that was a huge problem for me. Marlowe and Talbot go to all that expense and trouble to find the original Drake Ring.... when ANY ROUND OBJECT of the same dimensions would have worked equally well.

shenstra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By shenstra

Seems to me like some of you guys are looking for rational explanations because djinn and magic aren't real. This is Uncharted, AKA Indiana Jones: The Video Game. There may actually be djinn in that jar. "Djinn aren't real", you say? Neither are cursed mummies or magical tree sap that turns you blue and immortal; and the Ark of the Covenant doesn't actually have the magical power to kill Nazis, if it even exists. In the Uncharted/Indiana Jones universe, these things exist. The bad guys needed Drake's ring because it's magic. There's something about that ring that makes the decoder work.

Basically, all these things fall under the heading of "suspension of disbelief". At some point in most works of fiction, you have to just go with it. Accept that certain things are such and others are so. We accept that Mario has superhuman jumping abilities and grows to double his normal size when he eats mushrooms. Why not just accept that there's something special about Drake's ring that makes it so the bad guys need it? Why not accept that there are actually djinn in the jar?

Having said that, when Drake hallucinates, he sees bad guys whose heads burst aflame and have the ability to teleport. If you had to come up with a name for those guys, you could do much worse than to call them "djinn". The story about the ancient people summoning djinn and burying them in a jar could be interpreted as an allegory for the discovery of a dangerous hallucinogen and a subsequent attempt to get rid of it. In Arabic folklore, djinn are said to live in a parallel universe. By using the hallucinogen on people, you can make them see djinn-like beings. In other words: you can summon djinn. After discovering the danger the hallucinogen poses, they would want to rid themselves of it. What better way than to bury it (and with it, the djinn) in a special jar?

Both the literal and the allegorical interpretation of the djinn story require some willingness to suspend your disbelief. The former more so than the latter, but either way you shouldn't ever expect a fictional work to spell out every detail in an entirely logical manner. Amy Hennig and cohorts seem to have a certain style of writing that works at different levels of suspension of disbelief. They leave much unsaid, but provide just enough information so that you can choose to either suspend your disbelief, or look for a slightly more rational explanation. Perhaps that's why people sometimes have trouble willingly suspending their disbelief when it comes to Uncharted. The games offer so many instances and levels of rationalization, that people start to expect more and more, up to the point where all fantasy elements are completely removed.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Tesla

Well said shenstra.

The only thing I think they could have extrapolated on is Drake's fake name. At the very least some insight into his motivation for lying about his name would have been nice, what with the title of the game being Drake's Deception and all.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

You guys know you actually see Talbot slip the tarot card into Charlie's pocket when he shoots him right?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

Well what were the meaning of the cards in the first place? And what about the magician's wand they hinted at here or there? I always assumed it had something to do with Talbot's seemingly supernatural abilities. That organization wan't fleshed out enough either.

And finally, why the fuck do they find the same evil spiders in places that are all connected as they are? I think that deserves an explanation, because short of their connection with that organization, those specific spiders are spread in completely opposing climates for no real reason.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Barrock

@XII_Sniper said:

Well what were the meaning of the cards in the first place? And what about the magician's wand they hinted at here or there? I always assumed it had something to do with Talbot's seemingly supernatural abilities. That organization wan't fleshed out enough either.

And finally, why the fuck do they find the same evil spiders in places that are all connected as they are? I think that deserves an explanation, because short of their connection with that organization, those specific spiders are spread in completely opposing climates for no real reason.

I think the spiders were all located in places that Drake and Dee had visited right? You first see the spider in the library right? Or was it Dee's lab?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

@Barrock said:

@XII_Sniper said:

I think the spiders were all located in places that Drake and Dee had visited right? You first see the spider in the library right? Or was it Dee's lab?

Exactly, it was in the tomb under dee's lab. Either way Drake and Dee were part of the organization that the villains are in, but why? It seemed like they'd flesh it out more.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Dreamfall31

@Barrock said:

@XII_Sniper said:

I guessed it was some sort of rare species that eithe Sir Francis Drake, or those working with him bred in these places to stop anyone who went searching for the lost city. Just my guess.

urieaal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By urieaal

the best answer i could find after googling what others thought was a part of the wikipedia definition

"Jinn is a noun of the collective number in Arabic literally meaning "hidden from sight", and it derives from the Arabic rootj-n-n (pronounced: jann/ junn جَنّ / جُنّ) meaning "to hide" or "be hidden"."

Djinn, Jinn, and genie are the same thing in Arabic. So considering king solomon and his magician roots and such generally guessing that he found or created something that's incredibly potent, but lead to the destruction of ubar. theres more to it but that makes some sense to me at least rather then believing in a hallucinated fiery headed being.

considering Eldorado turned out to be a body with a virus that made people crazy, and the chitimany stone turned out to be sap/resin that also altered the body. this explanation makes perfect sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Seeing this thread bumped reminds me of how much I hated Uncharted 3.

After the chateau level that game took such a nose dive I blacked out and came to when I finished the game.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By MormonWarrior

Why was this bumped? Oh well. Old threads can be fun too.

I had far more issues with "suspension of disbelief" in this game because, even more than the previous games, it just felt like you ended up in random places for the sake of cool setpieces and not for any solid narrative reason. The whole pirate section served no purpose whatsoever for Drake or the pirates other than being a video game, and numerous characters and motivations are left completely unexplained. I was so perplexed and annoyed by the end that I didn't even catch on that Drake and Elena had gotten married. Don't know why I'm spoiler blocking in a spoiler thread, but hey.

I thought Uncharted 3 was extremely disappointing from a narrative and gameplay perspective. There were the makings of a great game and story there and it just kind of never clicks, even though there are incredible moments scattered about. 2011 just ended up bumming me out so much with games I had looked forward to (Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3) and it surprised me with games I didn't expect to like (Dark Souls). Weird how that works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.